Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default getting juice from key limes

friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is
there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them

OR

does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice

and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:
> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jul 2012 04:28:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:
> > friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> > bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

> http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
"juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
and I don't know why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jul 2012 04:28:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:
>> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
>> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

>http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

That's the style, but mine is a bit bigger-- it will do smaller lemons
handily. [I've quartered large ones when I have them on occasion]
http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshFor...dp/B002XOB0P0/

Trust me, that thing can take some abuse. I've put both hands on
it and squeezed the last couple drops out of some citrus-- I've had it
a couple years, used it a few times a week, tossed it in the
dishwasher-- and it still looks and acts new.

I had to read the comments because I couldn't believe they weren't all
5 star.

The first 1 star reviewer *broke* his. Do not fight with that
person-- they are *very-very* strong!.<g> And I note that Chef'n
commented, apologized and offered a replacement.

Or maybe they made a bad batch-- 3 other folks said they were cheaply
made-- mine sure isn't.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:53:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
>"juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
>limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
>just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
>backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
>the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
>and I don't know why.

Much of our produce is picked too soon these days. It allows for
longer shipping and storage times. Most store bought produce no
longer has much flavor though. It has been years since I've had a
really good banana. Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
of the bid seeded ones. I bet millions of Americans have never had a
really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
right from the farm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-07-07, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> really good banana. Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
> of the bid seeded ones. I bet millions of Americans have never had a
> really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
> right from the farm.

How sadly true.

Some good produce can be found at farmer's mkts. Even the "organic"
section of the sprmkt can reveal some treasures. I hadn't had any
good flat-leaf parsely or cilantro in yrs, but the organic f/l parsely
at our local sprmkt is asonishingly good. Give the orgainic section a
try. It's not ALL overpriced sameness.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jul 2012 04:28:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:
>> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
>> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

>http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx
>

>nb

I picked up a heavy plastic one in Florida when I bought my Key lime
tree last month. Probably will be a while before I need it for the
Key limes but my regular lime and Meyer lemon are both putting out
small fruit.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 6, 11:45*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her.. is
> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them
>
> OR
>
> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>
> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

squeeze and then get a fork in there and get all the juice out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 6, 10:45*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her.. is
> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them

I manage to juice them pretty easily with the smallest cone on my
Little Pro Plus.

> OR
>
> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>
> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

The difference between fresh squeezed key lime juice and bottled key
lime juice is far greater than the difference between fresh squeezed
key lime juice and fresh squeezed regular lime juice. Any juice that
can sit, unrefrigerated, on a grocery store shelf is crap.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I bet millions of Americans have never had a
> really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
> right from the farm.

I've gone out and picked fresh peaches and strawberries
and they are the ultimate tasty fruits.
Sadly, our "green line" constantly gets moved back so no nearby farms
lately.

Tomatoes too. You'll never get a good one from the grocery store.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up
> buying a bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and
> difficult for her. is there an easier way than cutting them open and
> then squeezing them
>
> OR
>
> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>

> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime
> juice and lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

I can't comment on key limes - never done much with them.

But Whole Foods sells plain old lime juice in a bottle and it's a staple
here in the summertime. We like our ice tea unsweetened and with lime
juice - we find it a less pungent flavor than lemon juice, comparing the
two in their bottled form, and just prefer it to lemon in our tea. We
probably go through one small bottle - 8 oz? - a week around here in
this weather.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> > does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice

> I can't comment on key limes - never done much with them.

http://www.keylimejuice.com/state_retailers.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:13:20 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2012 04:28:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:
> >> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> >> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

> >http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

> That's the style, but mine is a bit bigger-- it will do smaller lemons
> handily. [I've quartered large ones when I have them on occasion]
> http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshFor...dp/B002XOB0P0/
>
> Trust me, that thing can take some abuse. I've put both hands on
> it and squeezed the last couple drops out of some citrus-- I've had it
> a couple years, used it a few times a week, tossed it in the
> dishwasher-- and it still looks and acts new.

Those things are unwieldy. You need big hands and muscles to use
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:43:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
> of the bid seeded ones. I bet millions of Americans have never had a
> really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
> right from the farm.

I have to disagree with that statement. Seedless watermelons are very
flavorful. Maybe you've been getting the wrong kind. I'm never
disappointed when I indulge myself with a tiny, seedless watermelon -
but the larger, seeded ones OTOH are grainy, tasteless buckets of
seeds. Some types of commercial strawberries are extremely flavorful
too. I particularly like the winter strawberries that come from
Southern California. They're juicy, ripe and taste like strawberries
should taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 06:03:21 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> The difference between fresh squeezed key lime juice and bottled key
> lime juice is far greater than the difference between fresh squeezed
> key lime juice and fresh squeezed regular lime juice. Any juice that
> can sit, unrefrigerated, on a grocery store shelf is crap.

Didn't someone here say at one point that there is key lime juice in
the freezer section? I've never stumbled across it and don't think to
look for it specifically, but I think at one time or another someone
said to look there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:53:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
> >"juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
> >limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
> >just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
> >backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
> >the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
> >and I don't know why.

> Much of our produce is picked too soon these days. It allows for
> longer shipping and storage times. Most store bought produce no
> longer has much flavor though. It has been years since I've had a
> really good banana. Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
> of the bid seeded ones. I bet millions of Americans have never had a
> really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
> right from the farm.

I juiced a dozen regular limes (from Mexico) the other day to make
limeaid. I used a basic power rotary juicer and got a *lot* of juice. No
issues there.

The old bananas were a different variety and all of those trees were
killed off by a blight years ago. The current variety resists the blight
and ships well, but is rather bland. There are other tastier varieties
of bananas, but they don't ship well so you don't see them often.

Many of the other varieties of produce you find in the big supermarkets
are varieties that ship well and have decent shelf life, but aren't
necessarily the tastiest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2012 7:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:53:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>> Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
>> "juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
>> limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
>> just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
>> backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
>> the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
>> and I don't know why.

> Much of our produce is picked too soon these days. It allows for
> longer shipping and storage times. Most store bought produce no
> longer has much flavor though. It has been years since I've had a
> really good banana. Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
> of the bid seeded ones. I bet millions of Americans have never had a
> really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
> right from the farm.

Agree on the seedless watermelons being almost tasteless. We decided not
to bother buying them anymore. I recently got some great round seeded
ones from a Hispanic market I spotted while traveling. What a difference
in taste.

The other fruit we don't bother with are those giant super good looking
strawberries from California that are almost totally tasteless. In the
case of those I read they were bred for those features. I'll wait for
the smaller misshapen ones I can get locally in another month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 11:06*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 06:03:21 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > The difference between fresh squeezed key lime juice and bottled key
> > lime juice is far greater than the difference between fresh squeezed
> > key lime juice and fresh squeezed regular lime juice. *Any juice that
> > can sit, unrefrigerated, on a grocery store shelf is crap.

> Didn't someone here say at one point that there is key lime juice in
> the freezer section? *I've never stumbled across it and don't think to
> look for it specifically, but I think at one time or another someone
> said to look there.

Either that, or frozen regular lime juice. Frozen should be close to
fresh.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 6, 11:45*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her.. is
> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them
>
> OR
>
> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>
> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

There is a bottled key lime juice, btt prob. only found in Florida.
Mrs. Somebody's, as I recall. I'm a big help, huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:13:20 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:

>> >http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

>> That's the style, but mine is a bit bigger-- it will do smaller lemons
>> handily. [I've quartered large ones when I have them on occasion]
>> http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshFor...dp/B002XOB0P0/
>>
>> Trust me, that thing can take some abuse. I've put both hands on
>> it and squeezed the last couple drops out of some citrus-- I've had it
>> a couple years, used it a few times a week, tossed it in the
>> dishwasher-- and it still looks and acts new.

>Those things are unwieldy. You need big hands and muscles to use
>them.

No problem for you, sf... you juice grapefruit
with your mighty buttocks! LOL-LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 12:00*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:43:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> > Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
> > of the bid seeded ones. *I bet millions of Americans have never had a
> > really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
> > right from the farm.

> I have to disagree with that statement. *Seedless watermelons are very
> flavorful. *Maybe you've been getting the wrong kind. *I'm never
> disappointed when I indulge myself with a tiny, seedless watermelon -
> but the larger, seeded ones OTOH are grainy, tasteless buckets of
> seeds. *Some types of commercial strawberries are extremely flavorful
> too. *I particularly like the winter strawberries that come from
> Southern California. *They're juicy, ripe and taste like strawberries
> should taste.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I was arrested for spitting watermelon seeds across the street. They
took me to the precinct house, gave me a donut, and told me to stick
closer to church oriented social activities.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:33:57 -0400, George >
wrote:

>On 7/7/2012 7:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:53:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>>> Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
>>> "juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
>>> limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
>>> just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
>>> backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
>>> the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
>>> and I don't know why.

>> Much of our produce is picked too soon these days. It allows for
>> longer shipping and storage times. Most store bought produce no
>> longer has much flavor though. It has been years since I've had a
>> really good banana. Seedless watermelons have nowhere near the flavor
>> of the bid seeded ones. I bet millions of Americans have never had a
>> really good peach, strawberry, or cantaloupe unless they get them
>> right from the farm.
>>

>Agree on the seedless watermelons being almost tasteless. We decided not
>to bother buying them anymore. I recently got some great round seeded
>ones from a Hispanic market I spotted while traveling. What a difference
>in taste.
>
>The other fruit we don't bother with are those giant super good looking
>strawberries from California that are almost totally tasteless. In the
>case of those I read they were bred for those features. I'll wait for
>the smaller misshapen ones I can get locally in another month.

The best are grown hydroponically:
http://www.simplyhydro.com/strawberries.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 09:59:07 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Jul 6, 11:45*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
>> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
>> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is
>> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them
>>
>> OR
>>
>> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>>
>> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
>> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

>There is a bottled key lime juice, btt prob. only found in Florida.
>Mrs. Somebody's, as I recall. I'm a big help, huh?

We can get Nellie and Joe's in NY. And it is limy-er than fresh
persian limes when you first open it. Pricey and only in pint
bottles, so unless you're using it *very* regularly, it makes more
sense to buy the limes.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 2:33*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 09:59:07 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jul 6, 11:45*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> > wrote:
> >> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> >> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is
> >> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them

> >> OR

> >> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice

> >> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
> >> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

> >There is a bottled key lime juice, btt prob. only found in Florida.
> >Mrs. Somebody's, as I recall. *I'm a big help, huh?

> We can get Nellie and Joe's in NY. * *And it is limy-er than fresh
> persian limes when you first open it. * *Pricey and only in pint
> bottles, so unless you're using it *very* regularly, it makes more
> sense to buy the limes.
>
> Jim

I was thinking of Mrs. Biddle's. I've seen Nellie's too - but as you
say, it's prob. not worth taking up fridgedoor space. I'm working on
clearing out some stuff therein - and I won't replace it. e.g. Better
than Bouillon veggie stuff. TOOOOOO salty. Also, a bottle of super
hot pepper liqueur is going to be unreplaced. No one on earth cud
drink that stuff straight. I'll add a drop here and there in lieu of
Tabasco. It wasn't cheap tho so I can't bear to throw it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> I was arrested for spitting watermelon seeds across the street. They
> took me to the precinct house, gave me a donut, and told me to stick
> closer to church oriented social activities.

Tell the whole story, Moosey. That made you blow into a breathayzer,
THEN they shooed you out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 7, 3:28*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > I was arrested for spitting watermelon seeds across the street. *They
> > took me to the precinct house, gave me a donut, and told me to stick
> > closer to church oriented social activities.

> Tell the whole story, Moosey. That made you blow into a breathayzer,
> THEN they shooed you out.

That is the whole story. This happened on my great aunt's tobacco
farm. She used to grow wonderful dark green almost black
watermelons. With seeds! Opium poppy as well! If you only knew the
whole story; the story about the narcotics officer who fooled around
with the neighbour's wife, and what happened to him, if you knew the
story, you wouldn't be axing so many questions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2012 11:28 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" > wrote:
>> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
>> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

> http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx
>

> nb

I buy those little pot metal lime juicers for $2 in Mexico. $12 is a
rip-off, IMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2012 10:49 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:13:20 -0400, Jim >
> wrote:

>>> http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

>> That's the style, but mine is a bit bigger-- it will do smaller lemons
>> handily. [I've quartered large ones when I have them on occasion]
>> http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshFor...dp/B002XOB0P0/
>>
>> Trust me, that thing can take some abuse. I've put both hands on
>> it and squeezed the last couple drops out of some citrus-- I've had it
>> a couple years, used it a few times a week, tossed it in the
>> dishwasher-- and it still looks and acts new.

> Those things are unwieldy. You need big hands and muscles to use
> them.

I have little hands and not very big muscles. I do fine with one of
those squeezers. I also squeeze the limes over a strainer.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying
> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is
> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them
>
> OR
>
> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>

> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

thanks for all the responses, they have been forwarded for consideration. we
will also be investigating some bodegas to see what they have
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-07-07, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I buy those little pot metal lime juicers for $2 in Mexico. $12 is a
> rip-off, IMHO

It is.

--
vi --the heart of evil!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 18:28:26 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 7/7/2012 10:49 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:13:20 -0400, Jim >
> > wrote:

> >> That's the style, but mine is a bit bigger-- it will do smaller lemons
> >> handily. [I've quartered large ones when I have them on occasion]
> >> http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshFor...dp/B002XOB0P0/
> >>
> >> Trust me, that thing can take some abuse. I've put both hands on
> >> it and squeezed the last couple drops out of some citrus-- I've had it
> >> a couple years, used it a few times a week, tossed it in the
> >> dishwasher-- and it still looks and acts new.

> > Those things are unwieldy. You need big hands and muscles to use
> > them.
> >

> I have little hands and not very big muscles. I do fine with one of
> those squeezers. I also squeeze the limes over a strainer.

You're like Giada then because she can wring out lemons and limes by
hand too. I can't. Something like that contraption would take two
hands for me and the lemon/lime still wouldn't be squeezed out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2012 11:59 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jul 6, 11:45 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"<atlas-
> > wrote:
>> friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
>> bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is
>> there an easier way than cutting them open and then squeezing them
>>
>> OR
>>
>> does anyone know of a store that sells bottles of key lime juice
>>
>> and yes, she can taste the difference between lime juice, key lime juice and
>> lemon juice...don't know about persian lime juice though

> There is a bottled key lime juice, btt prob. only found in Florida.
> Mrs. Somebody's, as I recall. I'm a big help, huh?

I bought in New Jersey and I've seen it in Texas. It's nowhere near as
good as freshly squeezed, however. It's strangely opaque in the bottle.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 6, 2012 9:53:12 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2012 04:28:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2012-07-07, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:
> > > friend wanted to make something that used key lime juice and ended up buying a
> > > bag of the little suckers. juicing them was tedious and difficult for her. is

> > http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx
> >

> Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
> "juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
> limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
> just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
> backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
> the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
> and I don't know why.

We nuke them AND roll them, then rotate on a small ceramic juicer.

In terms of squeezers we had one of these growing up:

http://www.awesomedrinks.com/images/...t_squeezer.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> You're like Giada then because she can wring out lemons and limes by
> hand too. I can't.

For all guys seem to want to be sqeezed by Giada I watch her crush or
juice stuff by hand and I thnk as strong as her hands are, maybe not.
;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 10:14:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> On Friday, July 6, 2012 9:53:12 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:

http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/key-l...xican-P99.aspx

> > Mal, I feel your pain - BTDT with key limes... I like the idea of the
> > "juicer" nb posted, but AFAIC it would not have worked on the key
> > limes I juiced and probably not yours either. Limes (regular or Key)
> > just aren't very juicy these days unless they come off a tree in the
> > backyard... even microwaving them for a few seconds doesn't improve
> > the juiciness factor. Sad, but true. They're picked too green....
> > and I don't know why.

> We nuke them AND roll them, then rotate on a small ceramic juicer.
>
> In terms of squeezers we had one of these growing up:
>
> http://www.awesomedrinks.com/images/...t_squeezer.jpg

I've seen bartenders use that kind, but I've never seen it in a home
situation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In a couple of the restaurants I frequent in Mexico, they have a gizmo
that stands on the bar. There is a levered handle and they put the
halved limes in the hopper and pull down the lever. The juice falls into
a container below the hopper.

If I knew the name, I'd Google a picture.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2012 4:09 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> In a couple of the restaurants I frequent in Mexico, they have a gizmo
> that stands on the bar. There is a levered handle and they put the
> halved limes in the hopper and pull down the lever. The juice falls into
> a container below the hopper.
>
> If I knew the name, I'd Google a picture.

I Googled "large countertop juicer" and got to this page.

http://www.dvorsons.com/RACHAND/Juicers.html

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:09:29 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> In a couple of the restaurants I frequent in Mexico, they have a gizmo
> that stands on the bar. There is a levered handle and they put the
> halved limes in the hopper and pull down the lever. The juice falls into
> a container below the hopper.
>
> If I knew the name, I'd Google a picture.

I think it's called a "citrus press". That contraption would probably
work for me if my limes had any more than a drop or two of juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> In a couple of the restaurants I frequent in Mexico, they have a gizmo
>> that stands on the bar. There is a levered handle and they put the
>> halved limes in the hopper and pull down the lever. The juice falls into
>> a container below the hopper.
>>
>> If I knew the name, I'd Google a picture.

> I Googled "large countertop juicer" and got to this page.
> http://www.dvorsons.com/RACHAND/Juicers.html

At a garage sale I once bought one that had the handle on the side.
Because of its appearance I called it a "drill press juicer". I don't
juice enough citrus to justify a space on the counter and a few years
later I donated it. So that's why it was at a garage sale. Folks who
drink a lot of orange juice over a long span would use it enough for it
to keep it's space on the counter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2012 4:47 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> In a couple of the restaurants I frequent in Mexico, they have a gizmo
>>> that stands on the bar. There is a levered handle and they put the
>>> halved limes in the hopper and pull down the lever. The juice falls into
>>> a container below the hopper.
>>>
>>> If I knew the name, I'd Google a picture.

>> I Googled "large countertop juicer" and got to this page.
>> http://www.dvorsons.com/RACHAND/Juicers.html

> At a garage sale I once bought one that had the handle on the side.
> Because of its appearance I called it a "drill press juicer". I don't
> juice enough citrus to justify a space on the counter and a few years
> later I donated it. So that's why it was at a garage sale. Folks who
> drink a lot of orange juice over a long span would use it enough for it
> to keep it's space on the counter.

Evidently the restaurants I visit squeeze enough key limes to warrant
the expense. I'm sure it's cheaper in Mexico than on that web site I cited.

Limes Dimitri General Cooking 1 11-01-2010 09:33 PM
limes Ms. Velveeta General Cooking 6 23-07-2007 06:53 AM
Two limes chicken David Hare-Scott General Cooking 2 04-04-2006 05:00 AM
What else can I do with fresh limes? Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 48 10-08-2005 05:55 PM
Using Key Limes (7) Collection Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-05-2004 01:19 PM