Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tamarind

I bought some dried tamarind pods. I don't know why.

What can I do with them?

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" --Bill Burr
Posted to rec.food.cooking

globklot wrote:

> I bought some dried tamarind pods. I don't know why.
> What can I do with them?

What did you find out when you googled it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 8:21*am, notbob > wrote:
> I bought some dried tamarind pods. *I don't know why.
>
> What can I do with them?
>
> nb
>
> --
> vi --the heart of evil!
> Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" *--Bill Burr

Do you mean pods or a brick?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I bought some dried tamarind pods. I don't know why.
>
> What can I do with them?

Common ingredient in Thai dishes. Go on a Thai binge.

Paul

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbob View Post
I bought some dried tamarind pods. I don't know why.

What can I do with them?

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" --Bill Burr
It depends on the type of tamarind pods bought.
If it is SOUR, you will need to mix a correct amount (according to your Thai recipes) of the tamarind pod in water, put it through a sieve and then use the sieved mixture in Thai or some other Asian dishes.
Thai food like Pad Thai, Tom Yum, Pla Lard Prik or Gaeng Som make use of tamarind juice
If tamarind pods bought are SWEET, then just crack it open and eat it like lollies or candies (this is usually eaten like snacks)

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifoodlovers View Post
It depends on the type of tamarind pods bought.
If it is SOUR, you will need to mix a correct amount (according to your Thai recipes) of the tamarind pod in water, put it through a sieve and then use the sieved mixture in Thai or some other Asian dishes.
Thai food like Pad Thai, Tom Yum, Pla Lard Prik or Gaeng Som make use of tamarind juice
If tamarind pods bought are SWEET, then just crack it open and eat it like lollies or candies (this is usually eaten like snacks)
Failed to mention that it is used in many Thai curry dishes too ....

http://www.thaifoodlovers.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 May 2012 05:44:24 +0000, thaifoodlovers
> wrote:

>notbob;1739143 Wrote:
>> I bought some dried tamarind pods. I don't know why.
>>
>> What can I do with them?
>>
>> nb
>>
>> --
>> vi --the heart of evil!
>> Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" --Bill Burr

>It depends on the type of tamarind pods bought.
>If it is SOUR, you will need to mix a correct amount (according to your
>Thai recipes) of the tamarind pod in water, put it through a sieve and
>then use the sieved mixture in Thai or some other Asian dishes.
>Thai food like Pad Thai, Tom Yum, Pla Lard Prik or Gaeng Som make use of
>tamarind juice
>If tamarind pods bought are SWEET, then just crack it open and eat it
>like lollies or candies (this is usually eaten like snacks)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarind
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:10:49 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 May 2012 05:44:24 +0000, thaifoodlovers
> wrote:
>

>>notbob;1739143 Wrote:
>>> I bought some dried tamarind pods. I don't know why.
>>>
>>> What can I do with them?
>>>
>>> nb
>>>
>>> --
>>> vi --the heart of evil!
>>> Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" --Bill Burr

>>It depends on the type of tamarind pods bought.
>>If it is SOUR, you will need to mix a correct amount (according to your
>>Thai recipes) of the tamarind pod in water, put it through a sieve and
>>then use the sieved mixture in Thai or some other Asian dishes.
>>Thai food like Pad Thai, Tom Yum, Pla Lard Prik or Gaeng Som make use of
>>tamarind juice
>>If tamarind pods bought are SWEET, then just crack it open and eat it
>>like lollies or candies (this is usually eaten like snacks)

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarind

FWIW when they are fresh there are very sour ones but when you get a
pod that is kind of sweet, they make a tasty treat. Big seeds though.
Just depends which tree you get them from

I see in the stores here, you can buy them already "shucked" and
wrapped in cellophane with sugar sprinkled on them- as a snack food.

aloha,
Cea who does have a fave tamarind tree

Tamarind Farm1[_4_] General Cooking 5 25-12-2012 07:17 AM
Tamarind Chutney International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2007 01:51 AM
Tamarind Chicken Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 01-02-2007 09:24 PM
Straining tamarind Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) Asian Cooking 11 30-11-2006 05:47 PM
Tamarind Water Donald Weissgerber Recipes (moderated) 0 24-12-2005 04:13 AM