Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tamarind

I was putting tamarind into my satay marinade yesterday and I realised that
I had only ever used it in one other way and that was to try the 'delicious'
and 'refreshing' drink described on the side of the tamarind pack (1 tspn
tamarind & 1 tspn sugar stirred into cold water). It was neither refreshing
or delicious. The best I could describe it as being would be; 'different'.

How do others use tamarind?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 14:57:28 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>I was putting tamarind into my satay marinade yesterday and I realised that
>I had only ever used it in one other way and that was to try the 'delicious'
>and 'refreshing' drink described on the side of the tamarind pack (1 tspn
>tamarind & 1 tspn sugar stirred into cold water). It was neither refreshing
>or delicious. The best I could describe it as being would be; 'different'.
>
>How do others use tamarind?

Here's the drink I make with it. I had some wonderful tamarid-chipotle
jelly the other day, I'm googling recipes so I can make that too.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycorner/jal_jerra.html

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 14:57:28 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>I was putting tamarind into my satay marinade yesterday and I realised
>>that
>>I had only ever used it in one other way and that was to try the
>>'delicious'
>>and 'refreshing' drink described on the side of the tamarind pack (1 tspn
>>tamarind & 1 tspn sugar stirred into cold water). It was neither
>>refreshing
>>or delicious. The best I could describe it as being would be;
>>'different'.
>>
>>How do others use tamarind?
>>

> Here's the drink I make with it. I had some wonderful tamarid-chipotle
> jelly the other day, I'm googling recipes so I can make that too.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycorner/jal_jerra.html

Well that does soudn better than the more simple one on the pack. Your blog
looks like it's well worth a good slow read through. I've book marked it
and will get back to it later - thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:
> I was putting tamarind into my satay marinade yesterday and I realised that
> I had only ever used it in one other way and that was to try the 'delicious'
> and 'refreshing' drink described on the side of the tamarind pack (1 tspn
> tamarind & 1 tspn sugar stirred into cold water). It was neither refreshing
> or delicious. The best I could describe it as being would be; 'different'.
>
> How do others use tamarind?

I think I've mainly used it in Indonesian cookery--and that a LONG
time ago. However, I made something more recently, I think SW
Asian of some sort, and it was absolutely disgusting. Oh, I
remember, it was in a dal, supposedly sweet and sour, but the
ratios were WAY off, and I couldn't seem to compensate adequately
for the tamarind. Odd, because I don't recall having any such
difficulty before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 11:04:32 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 14:57:28 +1100, "Farm1" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I was putting tamarind into my satay marinade yesterday and I realised
>>>that
>>>I had only ever used it in one other way and that was to try the
>>>'delicious'
>>>and 'refreshing' drink described on the side of the tamarind pack (1 tspn
>>>tamarind & 1 tspn sugar stirred into cold water). It was neither
>>>refreshing
>>>or delicious. The best I could describe it as being would be;
>>>'different'.
>>>
>>>How do others use tamarind?
>>>

>> Here's the drink I make with it. I had some wonderful tamarid-chipotle
>> jelly the other day, I'm googling recipes so I can make that too.
>>
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycorner/jal_jerra.html

>Well that does soudn better than the more simple one on the pack. Your blog
>looks like it's well worth a good slow read through. I've book marked it
>and will get back to it later - thanks for the link.

You're welcome. I'm exploring more tamarind possibilities and will be
posting my experiments. In the meantime I hope you try the Jal Jerra,
it's wonderful.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Tamarind notbob General Cooking 8 11-05-2012 08:37 PM
Tamarind Chutney International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2007 01:51 AM
Tamarind Chicken Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 01-02-2007 09:24 PM
Straining tamarind Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) Asian Cooking 11 30-11-2006 05:47 PM
Tamarind Water Donald Weissgerber Recipes (moderated) 0 24-12-2005 04:13 AM