Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Very low profile microwave oven??

Can anyone recommend a low profile microwave? Needs to be 9" high.
Width and depth are the issue here (on a boat).

The two that I found that come closest are both 10 1/8th but both are
unavailable.

TIA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/03/2012 10:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:10:25 -0400, injipoint wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a low profile microwave? Needs to be 9" high.
>> Width and depth are the issue here (on a boat).

> ^^^^
> Did you forget a "NOT" in there?
>
> -sw

I did. They are not the problem. It is the height, as the cabinetry is
custom. It's for a Kelly Petersen 44

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/03/2012 9:54 PM, Bull wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a low profile microwave? Needs to be 9" high.
>> Width and depth are the issue here (on a boat).
>>
>> The two that I found that come closest are both 10 1/8th but both are
>> unavailable.
>>
>> TIA.

> Pretty much forget it. The lowest profile I know of is Magic Chef. It
> is still around 11 inches in height with the rubber feet removed. BTDT.
>
> BULL

Looking that way, I'm afraid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 11:06*am, injipoint > wrote:
> On 11/03/2012 10:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:10:25 -0400, injipoint wrote:
>
> >> Can anyone recommend a low profile microwave? *Needs to be 9" high.
> >> Width and depth are the issue here (on a boat).

> > * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^
> > Did you forget a "NOT" in there?

> > -sw

> I did. *They are not the problem. It is the height, as the cabinetry is
> custom. *It's for a Kelly Petersen 44

Cabinetry doesn't sound very custom to me if you can't put a microwave
in it. Have you considered going back to the cabinet maker for some
additional customization? It doesn't have to go on a shelf as far as I
can see: West Marine sells microwaves with trim plates. Buy one and
mount it wherever you have some bare wall with air space on the other
side. Put in a shelf to hold it up if necessary.

The point made about a 9 inch microwave having a useless cavity size
is also well taken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 11:54*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> > > * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^
> > > Did you forget a "NOT" in there?

> > > -sw

> > I did. *They are not the problem. It is the height, as the cabinetry is
> > custom. *It's for a Kelly Petersen 44

> Cabinetry doesn't sound very custom to me if you can't put a microwave
> in it. Have you considered going back to the cabinet maker for some
> additional customization? It doesn't have to go on a shelf as far as I
> can see: West Marine sells microwaves with trim plates. Buy one and
> mount it wherever you have some bare wall with air space on the other
> side. Put in a shelf to hold it up if necessary.
>
> The point made about a 9 inch microwave having a useless cavity size
> is also well taken.

Right. If the OP can afford the Kelly then he ought to be able to
afford to have a little custom wood work done

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2012 3:19 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Mar 12, 11:54 am, > wrote:

>>> I did. They are not the problem. It is the height, as the cabinetry is
>>> custom. It's for a Kelly Petersen 44

>> Cabinetry doesn't sound very custom to me if you can't put a microwave
>> in it. Have you considered going back to the cabinet maker for some
>> additional customization? It doesn't have to go on a shelf as far as I
>> can see: West Marine sells microwaves with trim plates. Buy one and
>> mount it wherever you have some bare wall with air space on the other
>> side. Put in a shelf to hold it up if necessary.
>>
>> The point made about a 9 inch microwave having a useless cavity size
>> is also well taken.

> Right. If the OP can afford the Kelly then he ought to be able to
> afford to have a little custom wood work done

It may have to be a custom change. It's not for us, it's for our
friends a couple of slips up. We've been trying to solve this
for a couple of days. We have a Catalina 42.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 3:42*pm, injipoint > wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 3:19 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> >> Cabinetry doesn't sound very custom to me if you can't put a microwave
> >> in it. Have you considered going back to the cabinet maker for some
> >> additional customization? It doesn't have to go on a shelf as far as I
> >> can see: West Marine sells microwaves with trim plates. Buy one and
> >> mount it wherever you have some bare wall with air space on the other
> >> side. Put in a shelf to hold it up if necessary.

> >> The point made about a 9 inch microwave having a useless cavity size
> >> is also well taken.

> > Right. If the OP can afford the Kelly then he ought to be able to
> > afford to have a little custom wood work done

> It may have to be a custom change. *It's not for us, it's for our
> friends a couple of slips up. *We've been trying to solve this
> for a couple of days. We have a Catalina 42.

Your ship or theirs...shouldn't cost that much to have a woodworker
come in and make the needed change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/03/2012 6:44 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Mar 12, 3:42 pm, > wrote:

>>> Right. If the OP can afford the Kelly then he ought to be able to
>>> afford to have a little custom wood work done

>> It may have to be a custom change. It's not for us, it's for our
>> friends a couple of slips up. We've been trying to solve this
>> for a couple of days. We have a Catalina 42.

> Your ship or theirs...shouldn't cost that much to have a woodworker
> come in and make the needed change.

Will have to be I think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 4:02*pm, injipoint > wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 6:44 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> >> It may have to be a custom change. *It's not for us, it's for our
> >> friends a couple of slips up. *We've been trying to solve this
> >> for a couple of days. We have a Catalina 42.

> > Your ship or theirs...shouldn't cost that much to have a woodworker
> > come in and make the needed change.

> Will have to be I think.

Is this what their galley looks like?
http://tinyurl.com/6nxzy5t

What about an overhead shelf like the one here about half way down the
page.
http://www.kp44.org/vessels/Passage/index.php

This pic show a microwave in a K44
http://tinyurl.com/849rlgt

this K44 also has a microwave.
http://www.4yachting.com/yacht_info.php?yid=125148
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:44:33 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>> > Right. If the OP can afford the Kelly then he ought to be able to
>> > afford to have a little custom wood work done

>> It may have to be a custom change. *It's not for us, it's for our
>> friends a couple of slips up. *We've been trying to solve this
>> for a couple of days. We have a Catalina 42.

>Your ship or theirs...shouldn't cost that much to have a woodworker
>come in and make the needed change.

Probably a lot more than you'd think. Anything involving a boat is
always expensive.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:32*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:44:33 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>
> > wrote:

> >> It may have to be a custom change. *It's not for us, it's for our
> >> friends a couple of slips up. *We've been trying to solve this
> >> for a couple of days. We have a Catalina 42.

> >Your ship or theirs...shouldn't cost that much to have a woodworker
> >come in and make the needed change.

> Probably a lot more than you'd think. *Anything involving a boat is
> always expensive.
>
> Lou

A good shipwright isn't always that expensive and besides, a good
sailor should have some decent woodworking skills as well as
others...I know, I own a sailboat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:35 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Mar 12, 9:32*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:44:33 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Your ship or theirs...shouldn't cost that much to have a woodworker
>> >come in and make the needed change.

>> Probably a lot more than you'd think. *Anything involving a boat is
>> always expensive.
>>
>> Lou

>A good shipwright isn't always that expensive and besides, a good
>sailor should have some decent woodworking skills as well as
>others...I know, I own a sailboat.

Maybe we think differently of what expensive is. Spending a couple
hundred to make a hundred dollar microwave fit is expensive IMO.

We've got friends who are boating nuts and have several large boats.
They've had the same guy working for them for about 15 years. He
works full time for about 7 months and makes enough to take the winter
off and go to Mexico. He gets paid well but he's a fine craftsman.
Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 10:20*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:35 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>

> > wrote:
> >On Mar 12, 9:32*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:44:33 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown

> >> Probably a lot more than you'd think. *Anything involving a boat is
> >> always expensive.

> >> Lou

> >A good shipwright isn't always that expensive and besides, a good
> >sailor should have some decent woodworking skills as well as
> >others...I know, I own a sailboat.

> Maybe we think differently of what expensive is. Spending a couple
> hundred to make a hundred dollar microwave fit is expensive IMO.
>
> We've got friends who are boating nuts and have several large boats.
> They've had the same guy working for them for about 15 years. *He
> works full time for about 7 months and makes enough to take the winter
> off and go to Mexico. *He gets paid well but he's a fine craftsman.
> Lou

If you own and maintain a $120K boat, then a couple hundred dollars
isn't much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:31:04 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Mar 16, 10:20*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:30:35 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown

>> >A good shipwright isn't always that expensive and besides, a good
>> >sailor should have some decent woodworking skills as well as
>> >others...I know, I own a sailboat.

>> Maybe we think differently of what expensive is. Spending a couple
>> hundred to make a hundred dollar microwave fit is expensive IMO.
>>
>> We've got friends who are boating nuts and have several large boats.
>> They've had the same guy working for them for about 15 years. *He
>> works full time for about 7 months and makes enough to take the winter
>> off and go to Mexico. *He gets paid well but he's a fine craftsman.
>> Lou

>If you own and maintain a $120K boat, then a couple hundred dollars
>isn't much.

If that boat is your retirement home then yes it may very well be. I
remember the OP and he's retired and spending his time on his boat so
I assume his friend is doing the same.

Lou

Microwave oven notbob General Cooking 61 03-12-2016 08:37 PM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 10 29-06-2006 12:54 AM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] General Cooking 11 27-06-2006 11:53 PM
GE Profile Double-Oven w/ Convection Stuart Cracraft Cooking Equipment 27 02-08-2004 05:51 PM
Need Help in Oven Purchase GE Profile Slide In Range jm Cooking Equipment 2 09-06-2004 03:52 AM