Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best non stick technology

On Feb 20, 4:10*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> Hard carbon? Um, you don't know much about the chemistry of iron, eh?
> >> It's Iron II Oxide. It's black and protective, unlike Iron III Oxide
> >> which is red, destructive and commonly called "rust".

> Who fed you that shit, John? *It's polymerized carbon and oil.

Money says it's Iron II Oxide.

And I never bet money unless I'm 100% sure.

Carbon and fat molecules do not polymerize.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 9:37*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:16:54 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Who fed you that shit, John? *It's polymerized carbon and oil.

> > Money says it's Iron II Oxide.

> > And I never bet money unless I'm 100% sure.

> Then be my guest and a post a cite. *Here's MY money:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoni...ed-technique-f...
>
> Here's one that theorizes/suggestes that black rust helps
> ploymerization, but it is not the reason for the slick surface:
>
> http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...d-cast-iron-se...
>
> So the true answer is "poloymerization of fats s and carbon".
>
> How much money where you betting? *How much was "my money"?
>
> > Carbon and fat molecules do not polymerize.

> Now you've resorted to Wild Ass Guesses. *Don't give up your day job
> to practice chemistry.
>
> -sw

Interesting. Looks like we are both correct.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:14:40 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, John Kuthe
> wrote,
>On Feb 21, 9:37*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>> So the true answer is "poloymerization of fats s and carbon".
>>
>> -sw

>Interesting. Looks like we are both correct.
>
>John Kuthe...

Looks to me like you are wrong, John. You are clutching at a thread.
For an example of a surface that's mostly black iron oxide, look at the
scale on a sheet of hot rolled steel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 10:27*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:14:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Then be my guest and a post a cite. *Here's MY money:

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoni...urface_chemist.......

> >> Here's one that theorizes/suggestes that black rust helps
> >> ploymerization, but it is not the reason for the slick surface:

> >>http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...d-cast-iron-se....

> >> So the true answer is "poloymerization of fats s and carbon".

> >> How much money where you betting? *How much was "my money"?

> >> Now you've resorted to Wild Ass Guesses. *Don't give up your day job
> >> to practice chemistry.

> >> -sw

> > Interesting. Looks like we are both correct.

> Apparently you didn't read the whole articles. *There is clearly
> carbon and polyermerized fat in the coating, but the whole idea that
> there may be magnetite in there is theoretical as magnetite cannot be
> formed at such low temperatures in an oxygen-rich environment.
>
> And even if there *were, it would not have anything to do with it's
> non-stick properties. *The non-stick properties are from the
> polymerized fat (which according to you, is not possible).
>
> So the correct, unbiased answer is: polymerized fat and carbon, and
> possibly magnetite (the later two having nothing to do with it's
> non-stick properties - only it's color).
>
> -sw

Not very scientific articles either. A LOT of hearsay and supposition.

I saw no qualitative chemical analysis results anywhere. Just a lot of
supposition. Just *saying* something does not make it true. Objective
qualitative chemical analysis (i.e. evidence) evidences it's truth.

And I said iron and fat do not polymerize. Fat certainly may, but not
in composition with iron. Adherance to FeO is not polymerization with.

John Kuthe...