Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Induction Range "Disks"?

I have an induction cooktop and in general am quite pleased with it. But
the recent thread on cooking with a tangine got me to thinking. I've seen
large metal disks advertised on the web that are supposedly designed to sit
on top of an induction element and enable the use of any kind of cookware,
including clay and other ceramic things, but these things seem to be
getting mixed reviews at best. Some folks rave about them, some say they
simply don't work, and most frightening, some people report the disk had
caused permanent damage to the cooktop.

Does anyone here have any experience with using an induction disk and any
advice to offer?

TIA...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:35:22 GMT, Alan Holbrook > wrote:

>I have an induction cooktop and in general am quite pleased with it. But
>the recent thread on cooking with a tangine got me to thinking. I've seen
>large metal disks advertised on the web that are supposedly designed to sit
>on top of an induction element and enable the use of any kind of cookware,
>including clay and other ceramic things, but these things seem to be
>getting mixed reviews at best. Some folks rave about them, some say they
>simply don't work, and most frightening, some people report the disk had
>caused permanent damage to the cooktop.
>
>Does anyone here have any experience with using an induction disk and any
>advice to offer?

I have one, which came with one of my induction hobs. Don't waste your time.
They are very inefficient at transferring heat to an actual pan. They're
functionally more like diffusers for gas burners.

But there's no way they're going to damage the induction burner.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:38:33 GMT, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

> So, the whole idea here was, as I mentioned, to try a tangine. I see
> some cast iron ones advertised that would work on the induction range,
> but they're quite expensive. Anybody have any experience with one of
> them?

What's your idea of an inexpensive tagine in dollars or euros? I
don't call $90 for a small one cheap. I saw some tiny All Clad
stainless steel tagines, but they were expensive ($150 ea) and it
doesn't look as if AC makes tagines anymore anyway. I'd want a two
quart size if I got one for cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2012 8:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I have an induction cooktop and in general am quite pleased with it. But
> the recent thread on cooking with a tangine got me to thinking. I've seen
> large metal disks advertised on the web that are supposedly designed to sit
> on top of an induction element and enable the use of any kind of cookware,
> including clay and other ceramic things, but these things seem to be
> getting mixed reviews at best. Some folks rave about them, some say they
> simply don't work, and most frightening, some people report the disk had
> caused permanent damage to the cooktop.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience with using an induction disk and any
> advice to offer?

Coincidentally, the latest Cook's Illustrated equipment test was
these and the result was that they "strongly favored the
Max Burton Induction Interface Disk, which has an aluminum
core for speedy heat distribution and a comfortable, heatproof
rubber handle."

It still adds a lot to your cooking time.

nancy