Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default grainy pralines

does anyone know how to make pralines that are very coarse and grainy? I
think they would be called Mexican pralines as opposed to creamy ones. I
used canned goats milk and dark brown sugar. I want to make them like the
ones that were in the chip basket at the Monterrey restaurants. Blue Bell
ice cream also recently came out with a Mex. praline ice cream that was
wonderful but it was only seasonal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> does anyone know how to make pralines that are very coarse and
> grainy? I think they would be called Mexican pralines as opposed to
> creamy ones. I used canned goats milk and dark brown sugar. I want to
> make them like the ones that were in the chip basket at the Monterrey
> restaurants. Blue Bell ice cream also recently came out with a Mex.
> praline ice cream that was wonderful but it was only seasonal.

I posted recently about pralines. Apparently there are two different kinds
of recipes and also the humidity when you make them depends on how they come
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:40:27 -0600, Phyllis Stone wrote:
>
>> does anyone know how to make pralines that are very coarse and grainy? I
>> think they would be called Mexican pralines as opposed to creamy ones. I
>> used canned goats milk and dark brown sugar. I want to make them like the
>> ones that were in the chip basket at the Monterrey restaurants. Blue
>> Bell
>> ice cream also recently came out with a Mex. praline ice cream that was
>> wonderful but it was only seasonal.

> You can pretty much duplicate those by using a pan full of 170F brown
> sugar and 1/4 as much butter. Toss. Cool slightly, sift, then fry in
> dry non-stick pan until you see what you like.
>
> Why you'd strive for graininess is odd. The result would be thicker
> than Blue Bells standard Praline Pecan, but I guess I can see how
> people may appreciate that texture in something cold. Kinda like
> eating raw cookie dough with granulated sugar in it.
>
> MMMM, dough.

The ones I grew up eating were grainy. The creamy ones don't seem right to
me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:40:27 -0600, Phyllis Stone wrote:

> does anyone know how to make pralines that are very coarse and grainy? I
> think they would be called Mexican pralines as opposed to creamy ones. I
> used canned goats milk and dark brown sugar. I want to make them like the
> ones that were in the chip basket at the Monterrey restaurants. Blue
> Bell
> ice cream also recently came out with a Mex. praline ice cream that was
> wonderful but it was only seasonal.

You can pretty much duplicate those by using a pan full of 170F brown
sugar and 1/4 as much butter. Toss. Cool slightly, sift, then fry in
dry non-stick pan until you see what you like.

Why you'd strive for graininess is odd. The result would be thicker
than Blue Bells standard Praline Pecan, but I guess I can see how
people may appreciate that texture in something cold. Kinda like
eating raw cookie dough with granulated sugar in it.

MMMM, dough.

-sw

It may just be a Texas thing or Mexican . The Blue Bell ice cream is called
Mexican praline. They make their creamy praline all year. If you ever come
across the grainy kind try them. I think I may be too old to appreciate the
cookie dough ice cream

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:34:21 -0600, Phyllis Stone wrote:

> It may just be a Texas thing or Mexican . The Blue Bell ice cream is
> called
> Mexican praline. They make their creamy praline all year. If you ever come
> across the grainy kind try them. I think I may be too old to appreciate
> the
> cookie dough ice cream

It does sound kinda familiar but I don't see Mexican listed on their
site, just the Praline Pecan and Cream.

-sw

It was one of those limited time flavors. I don't know if they will bring it
back. Had I known it was only for a little while I would have bought a bunch
of them. I would usually have to search for cartons and would find some
stuck behind a pole in the freezer at kroger. Since Houston has such a large
Hispanic population you would think they could make it all the time. So I
thought I would try to make the grainy candy and add it to vanilla.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
> does anyone know how to make pralines that are very coarse and grainy? I
> think they would be called Mexican pralines as opposed to creamy ones. I
> used canned goats milk and dark brown sugar. I want to make them like the
> ones that were in the chip basket at the Monterrey restaurants. Blue
> Bell ice cream also recently came out with a Mex. praline ice cream that
> was wonderful but it was only seasonal.

Just let them dry out?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)