Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Copyright protection on recipes

An amusing article written by a rather attractive
lawyer on the legality of ripping off recipe content
on the web.

http://www.lawlawlandblog.com/2010/1...101_don_1.html

I never heard of Cooks Source before. If it was
discussed here, I missed it. But apparently there
was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. It used
to be that every flamewar had some presence in
Usenet newsgroups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-01-21, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I never heard of Cooks Source before. If it was
> discussed here, I missed it. But apparently there
> was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. It used
> to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> Usenet newsgroups.

We've not even begun to Balkanize!

You need to keep abreast of the reality that is currently copyright
law and how it is and will effect us in the future. Are you aware
that our own US Supreme Court has jes ruled it's now OK to now
re-copyright material that's long been out of copyright and in the public
domain for years? What do you think SOPA/PIPA is all about? It's jes
one tip of many of a huge iceberg that is aimed at decreasing your
freedoms and rights under the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

Do you think someone can grab our "@" w/ fork and knife on either side
icon and sue us for infringing on "their" copyright? Silly you! I'm
surprised it's not already occured. Wake up!!

http://www.techdirt.com/

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> An amusing article written by a rather attractive
> lawyer on the legality of ripping off recipe content
> on the web.

She *is* rather attractive, isn't she??!!

http://www.greenbergglusker.com/people/attorneys/Wilkes

She can jump in my sack any day :-)

But I'd sack the person who edited her page, as they can't even spell
'prosecuted'!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Skydiving: Where immortality is touched through danger,
where life meets death on equal plane;
where man is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the
same instant.

--- Charles A. Lindbergh ---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:24:28 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> An amusing article written by a rather attractive
> lawyer on the legality of ripping off recipe content
> on the web.
>
> http://www.lawlawlandblog.com/2010/1...101_don_1.html
>
> I never heard of Cooks Source before. If it was
> discussed here, I missed it. But apparently there
> was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. It used
> to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> Usenet newsgroups.

That wasn't over recipe content, it was over an entire article about
apple pie. We've discussed what's copyrightable and what's not to
death already.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 2:24*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> An amusing article written by a rather attractive
> lawyer on the legality of ripping off recipe content
> on the web.
>
> http://www.lawlawlandblog.com/2010/1...ement_101_don_...
>
> I never heard of Cooks Source before. *If it was
> discussed here, I missed it. *But apparently there
> was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. *It used
> to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> Usenet newsgroups.

You won't hear of it again. Cooks Source shut down soon after their
copying came to light, 14 months ago.

http://www.allfacebook.com/cooks-source-closure-2010-11

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:23:29 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2:24*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > An amusing article written by a rather attractive
> > lawyer on the legality of ripping off recipe content
> > on the web.
> >
> > http://www.lawlawlandblog.com/2010/1...ement_101_don_...
> >
> > I never heard of Cooks Source before. *If it was
> > discussed here, I missed it. *But apparently there
> > was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> > Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. *It used
> > to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> > Usenet newsgroups.

> You won't hear of it again. Cooks Source shut down soon after their
> copying came to light, 14 months ago.
>
> http://www.allfacebook.com/cooks-source-closure-2010-11

It's just too bad that foodbanter and all the other pseudo web forums
can't suffer some consequences for ripping off usenet.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2:24 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > An amusing article written by a rather attractive
> > lawyer on the legality of ripping off recipe content
> > on the web.
> >
> > http://www.lawlawlandblog.com/2010/1...ement_101_don_...
> >
> > I never heard of Cooks Source before. If it was
> > discussed here, I missed it. But apparently there
> > was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> > Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. It used
> > to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> > Usenet newsgroups.

> You won't hear of it again. Cooks Source shut down soon after their
> copying came to light, 14 months ago.
>
> http://www.allfacebook.com/cooks-source-closure-2010-11

Hooray! There is some justice in this world.
I'll have to remember that name, Judith Griggs,
just in case she shows up again anywhere. Anyone
know the daughter's name?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> You won't hear of it again. Cooks Source shut down soon after their
> copying came to light, 14 months ago.
>
> http://www.allfacebook.com/cooks-source-closure-2010-11

Tons more links at the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooks_S...nt_controversy

Some people are so damn stupid. In her case,
arrogantly stupid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:23:29 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:

> > You won't hear of it again. Cooks Source shut down soon after their
> > copying came to light, 14 months ago.
> >
> > http://www.allfacebook.com/cooks-source-closure-2010-11

> It's just too bad that foodbanter and all the other pseudo web forums
> can't suffer some consequences for ripping off usenet.

None of us here are big fans of FoodBanter, but how is it that much
different from GoogleGroups?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:02:47 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:23:29 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > > wrote:

> > > You won't hear of it again. Cooks Source shut down soon after their
> > > copying came to light, 14 months ago.
> > >
> > > http://www.allfacebook.com/cooks-source-closure-2010-11

> > It's just too bad that foodbanter and all the other pseudo web forums
> > can't suffer some consequences for ripping off usenet.

> None of us here are big fans of FoodBanter, but how is it that much
> different from GoogleGroups?

You're barking up the wrong tree. Don't expect me to defend Google
Groups.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:02:47 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > None of us here are big fans of FoodBanter, but how is it that much
> > different from GoogleGroups?

> You're barking up the wrong tree. Don't expect me to defend Google
> Groups.

Anything that causes John Kuthe so much frustration
can't be all bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 4:48*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2012-01-21, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > I never heard of Cooks Source before. *If it was
> > discussed here, I missed it. *But apparently there
> > was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> > Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. *It used
> > to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> > Usenet newsgroups.

> We've not even begun to Balkanize!
>
> You need to keep abreast of the reality that is currently copyright
> law and how it is and will effect us in the future. *Are you aware
> that our own US Supreme Court has jes ruled it's now OK to now
> re-copyright material that's long been out of copyright and in the public
> domain for years? *What do you think SOPA/PIPA is all about? *It's jes
> one tip of many of a huge iceberg that is aimed at decreasing your
> freedoms and rights under the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

I agree. The USA intellectual property obsession is absurd, just as
absurd as the other extreme we see in countries like China.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:02:47 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>> > None of us here are big fans of FoodBanter, but how is it that much
>> > different from GoogleGroups?

>> You're barking up the wrong tree. Don't expect me to defend Google
>> Groups.

> Anything that causes John Kuthe so much frustration
> can't be all bad.

Heh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 9:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 21, 4:48*pm, notbob > wrote:
>

> > On 2012-01-21, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> > > I never heard of Cooks Source before. *If it was
> > > discussed here, I missed it. *But apparently there
> > > was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
> > > Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. *It used
> > > to be that every flamewar had some presence in
> > > Usenet newsgroups.

> > We've not even begun to Balkanize!

> > You need to keep abreast of the reality that is currently copyright
> > law and how it is and will effect us in the future. *Are you aware
> > that our own US Supreme Court has jes ruled it's now OK to now
> > re-copyright material that's long been out of copyright and in the public
> > domain for years? *What do you think SOPA/PIPA is all about? *It's jes
> > one tip of many of a huge iceberg that is aimed at decreasing your
> > freedoms and rights under the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

> I agree. *The USA intellectual property obsession is absurd, just as
> absurd as the other extreme we see in countries like China.

Newspapers are the worst. To read a seven-year-old article on the web,
the Globe wanted to charge me $5.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>On Jan 21, 9:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:

>> The USA intellectual property obsession is absurd, just as
>> absurd as the other extreme we see in countries like China.

>Newspapers are the worst. To read a seven-year-old article on the web,
>the Globe wanted to charge me $5.

That's worse than Jackbooted RIAA thugs?

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-01-21, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> I never heard of Cooks Source before. If it was
>> discussed here, I missed it. But apparently there
>> was a flamewar on Facebook over their thievery.
>> Too bad the web is Balkanizing like this. It used
>> to be that every flamewar had some presence in
>> Usenet newsgroups.

> We've not even begun to Balkanize!
>
> You need to keep abreast of the reality that is currently copyright
> law and how it is and will effect us in the future. Are you aware
> that our own US Supreme Court has jes ruled it's now OK to now
> re-copyright material that's long been out of copyright and in the public
> domain for years?

interesting. But it was congress that passed the law, and a president who
signed it.

"The case, Golan v. Holder, No. 10-545, considered a 1994 law enacted to
carry out an international convention. The law applied mainly to works first
published abroad from 1923 to 1989 that had earlier not been eligible for
copyright protection under American law, including films by Alfred
Hitchcock, books by C. S. Lewis and Virginia Woolf, symphonies by Prokofiev
and Stravinsky and paintings by Picasso. "

more info here if anyone is interested:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/bu...ices-rule.html

Copyright Richard Neidich Wine 25 31-07-2008 03:02 AM
Question about online recipes, copyright, etc. spamalicious General Cooking 6 09-12-2004 10:53 PM
To All Our Copyright Cops Trivia Vegan 8 13-07-2004 01:46 PM
copyright notice to afv usual suspect Vegan 90 18-06-2004 09:47 PM
Copyright notice Ron Vegan 0 09-03-2004 07:20 PM