Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Just mixed a batch of Caramel Pecan Things!!

Story (you may have already heard):

Back in 1989 after my Ex and I split up, my buddy Scott calls me and
wants to get in on my Christmas Candy making project. Cool! Scott's my
old donut shop buddy and I can certainly use the help (and moral
support!) So Scott becomes my new Christmas Candy making partner. And
Scott has an idea! He says "Why don't we make turtles?" And I say,
"And how do you propose we make these turtles?" Scott says "Well, we
could melt the caramel, pour it into little puddles onto wax paper,
put pecans in the puddle to make it look like a turtle, let it cool,
then peel them up, dip in chocolate and voila: turtles!" I said,
"Scott, that sounds like a lotta damned work! How about this idea" we
chop the pecans, melt the caramel, mix the chopped pecans in and call
it gud enuf!"

And this Caramel Pecan Things were born!! And they ARE GOOD!!!
Mmmmmmmmm! Something about caramel and pecans, yano?

6 cups coarsely chopped pecans
2 1/2 lbs of caramel
<1/4 cup hot water

MIX!!! Warm the caramel in the microwave first, makes mixing a LOT
easier.

Cool, form into pieces, dip in milk chocolate (compound coating).

Sample after chocolate cools, there are bound to be "failures"! (And
as I said, they are DELICIOUS!!)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:00:23 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> And this Caramel Pecan Things were born!! And they ARE GOOD!!!
> Mmmmmmmmm! Something about caramel and pecans, yano?
>
> 6 cups coarsely chopped pecans
> 2 1/2 lbs of caramel
> <1/4 cup hot water

Turtles (the commercial ones are made with unbroken halves) are one of
my favorite candies. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:08:03 -0800, sf > wrote:

-snip-

>Turtles (the commercial ones are made with unbroken halves) are one of
>my favorite candies. Yum!

My wife's too--- used to be. Last year Barb [the Melba one] posted
this link-
http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...tle_Bites.html

That will likely wrap so I 'tiny'd it'
http://tinyurl.com/pecanbites

It takes a Rollo, a pretzel, and a 1/2 pecan.

We've done them over and over since then.

It doesn't get much easier-- or much more delicious.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> Story (you may have already heard):
>
> Back in 1989 after my Ex and I split up, my buddy Scott calls me and
> wants to get in on my Christmas Candy making project. Cool! Scott's my
> old donut shop buddy and I can certainly use the help (and moral
> support!) So Scott becomes my new Christmas Candy making partner. And
> Scott has an idea! He says "Why don't we make turtles?" And I say,
> "And how do you propose we make these turtles?" Scott says "Well, we
> could melt the caramel, pour it into little puddles onto wax paper,
> put pecans in the puddle to make it look like a turtle, let it cool,
> then peel them up, dip in chocolate and voila: turtles!" I said,
> "Scott, that sounds like a lotta damned work! How about this idea" we
> chop the pecans, melt the caramel, mix the chopped pecans in and call
> it gud enuf!"
>
> And this Caramel Pecan Things were born!! And they ARE GOOD!!!
> Mmmmmmmmm! Something about caramel and pecans, yano?
>
> 6 cups coarsely chopped pecans
> 2 1/2 lbs of caramel
> <1/4 cup hot water
>
> MIX!!! Warm the caramel in the microwave first, makes mixing a LOT
> easier.
>
> Cool, form into pieces, dip in milk chocolate (compound coating).
>

> Sample after chocolate cools, there are bound to be "failures"! (And
> as I said, they are DELICIOUS!!)

I make New Orleans praline cookies sometimes. I use 1/2 caramel frosting and
1/2 white frosting, put it on some sugar cookes, and top it with a little
pecan.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

same taste less work, goot to me, Lee