Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] smart phones TOO smart

I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. They are
logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
credit card numbers.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/

You've been alerted.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default smart phones TOO smart

On Nov 30, 9:21*am, notbob > wrote:
> I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. *They are
> logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
> credit card numbers.
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/
>
> You've been alerted.
>
> nb

Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
us!

Glad I don't have a cell phone.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 10:35*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:21*am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. *They are
> > logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
> > credit card numbers.

> >http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/

> > You've been alerted.

> > nb

> Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
> us!
>
> Glad I don't have a cell phone.
>
> John Kuthe...

Someday you'll be able to afford one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 5:21 AM, notbob wrote:
> I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. They are
> logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
> credit card numbers.
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/
>
> You've been alerted.
>
> nb

I've known about this for years. My android phone would love to send out
data any time it wants to. It's a very naughty phone. I have to keep it
on a very tight leash. One of these days, it's all going to blow up. At
least that's what I'm hoping will happen. All this has got to change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. They are
> logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
> credit card numbers.
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/
>
> You've been alerted.

The phone manufaturers would have you believe it is all about QC. It is
not. When you understand the massive and costly infrastructure they have in
place to collect, analyze and store data from millions of phones all working
at the same time you know this data is very, very special to them. I
guarantee it is being used to profile you.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 12:01*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:35*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 30, 9:21*am, notbob > wrote:

> > > I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. *They are
> > > logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
> > > credit card numbers.

> > >http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/

> > > You've been alerted.

> > > nb

> > Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
> > us!

> > Glad I don't have a cell phone.

> > John Kuthe...

> Someday you'll be able to afford one.

I don't WANT one!

John Kuthe....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 1:00*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> The phone manufaturers would have you believe it is all about QC. *It is
> not. *When you understand the massive and costly infrastructure they have in
> place to collect, analyze and store data from millions of phones all working
> at the same time you know this data is very, very special to them. *I
> guarantee it is being used to profile you.
>
> Paul

Not ME! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:01:30 -0800 (PST), BillyZoom
> wrote:

>On Nov 30, 10:35*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 9:21*am, notbob > wrote:
>>
>> > I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. *They are
>> > logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
>> > credit card numbers.

>> >http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/

>> > You've been alerted.

>> > nb

>> Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
>> us!
>>
>> Glad I don't have a cell phone.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Someday you'll be able to afford one.

Or maybe have a job it's necessary.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 1:12*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:01:30 -0800 (PST), BillyZoom
>

> > wrote:

> >> Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
> >> us!

> >> Glad I don't have a cell phone.

> >> John Kuthe...

> >Someday you'll be able to afford one.

> Or maybe have a job it's necessary.
>
> Lou

If it becomes necessary for my job, I will get one. Other than that. I
don't wanna be that contactable.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> The phone manufaturers would have you believe it is all about QC. It is
> not. When you understand the massive and costly infrastructure they have in
> place to collect, analyze and store data from millions of phones all working
> at the same time you know this data is very, very special to them. I
> guarantee it is being used to profile you.

The real threat is CIQ being used by criminal hackers. https
info, like login passwords, credit card number, etc, is supposed to be
encrypted, but is not (keylogging) before being sent off to CIQ
servers. If CIQ's system is compromised by nefarious types, yer
screwed.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 10:35*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:21*am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I knew there was a reason I didn't trust smart phones. *They are
> > logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords and
> > credit card numbers.

> >http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/

> > You've been alerted.

> > nb

> Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
> us!
>
> Glad I don't have a cell phone.
> ppl

You and a relative of mine must be the only people I know who are cell-
less. He figures everyone has one, so if he gets in a jam, plenty of
Good Samaritan cell users around. Think of the money he's saved and
the pesky calls he's avoided.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 1:36*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
> > The phone manufaturers would have you believe it is all about QC. *It is
> > not. *When you understand the massive and costly infrastructure they have in
> > place to collect, analyze and store data from millions of phones all working
> > at the same time you know this data is very, very special to them. *I
> > guarantee it is being used to profile you.

> The real threat is CIQ being used by criminal hackers. *https
> info, like login passwords, credit card number, etc, is supposed to be
> encrypted, but is not (keylogging) before being sent off to CIQ
> servers. *If CIQ's system is compromised by nefarious types, yer
> screwed.
>
> nb

CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. I'll keep my "old
fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.

Paul

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Nov 30, 1:36 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
> > The phone manufaturers would have you believe it is all about QC. It is
> > not. When you understand the massive and costly infrastructure they have
> > in
> > place to collect, analyze and store data from millions of phones all
> > working
> > at the same time you know this data is very, very special to them. I
> > guarantee it is being used to profile you.

> The real threat is CIQ being used by criminal hackers. https
> info, like login passwords, credit card number, etc, is supposed to be
> encrypted, but is not (keylogging) before being sent off to CIQ
> servers. If CIQ's system is compromised by nefarious types, yer
> screwed.
>
> nb

CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

Oops. Carrier IQ is the tracking software company's name. I'm
unaware of what the IQ stands for.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

>> CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

>Oops. Carrier IQ is the tracking software company's name. I'm
>unaware of what the IQ stands for.

It appears to be based on the initials for "In-Phase" and "Quadrature",
which are two aspects of a radio carrier wave.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
>> CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

> Oops. Carrier IQ is the tracking software company's name. I'm
> unaware of what the IQ stands for.

IQ stands for intelligence quotient. So they are using the abbreviation of
a way of signifying smarts. As in smart software that knows how to stay
hidden.

This discovery could have massive ramifications. I can almost hear the
lawyers sharpening their teeth. In this case, I wish them the best.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 4:31*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-11-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
> > CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

> Oops. *Carrier IQ is the tracking software company's name. *I'm
> unaware of what the IQ stands for.
>
> nb

Aha! Thanks:

http://www.carrieriq.com/

EVIL!!!!

John Kuthe....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2011 6:40 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Nov 30, 1:36 pm, > wrote:
>> On 2011-11-30, Paul M. > wrote:
>>
>>> The phone manufaturers would have you believe it is all about QC. It is
>>> not. When you understand the massive and costly infrastructure they have in
>>> place to collect, analyze and store data from millions of phones all working
>>> at the same time you know this data is very, very special to them. I
>>> guarantee it is being used to profile you.

>> The real threat is CIQ being used by criminal hackers. https
>> info, like login passwords, credit card number, etc, is supposed to be
>> encrypted, but is not (keylogging) before being sent off to CIQ
>> servers. If CIQ's system is compromised by nefarious types, yer
>> screwed.
>>
>> nb

> CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?
>
> John Kuthe...

Why are you worried? Why do you need or want to know? According to you,
you're immune...

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 6:30*pm, Krypsis > wrote:
> On 1/12/2011 6:40 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> > CIQ? Care to define your acronyms?

> > John Kuthe...

> Why are you worried? Why do you need or want to know? According to you,
> you're immune...
>
> --
>
> Krypsis

Ever hear of: "Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies even
closer!"

;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 10:21*am, notbob > wrote:
> I knew there wasa reason I didn't trustsmart phones.*They are
> logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords andcredit card numbers.
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/
>
> You've been alerted.
>
> nb

flip that noise. my barber doesn't have a TV, or a computer. good
for him. i wish i were as progressed. texters are flippin' idiots.
bozos what talks at the library, into a cell phone, and makes sure i
find out about her pregnancy, are flipped in the flippin' brains.
wtf is a smart phone? not that i care. actually, don't tell me. i
don't knead to know that info.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 7:36 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:21 am, > wrote:
>> I knew there wasa reason I didn't trustsmart phones. They are
>> logging EVERYTHING, including your supposedly encrypted passwords andcredit card numbers.
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...logging-video/
>>
>> You've been alerted.
>>
>> nb

> flip that noise. my barber doesn't have a TV, or a computer. good
> for him. i wish i were as progressed. texters are flippin' idiots.
> bozos what talks at the library, into a cell phone, and makes sure i
> find out about her pregnancy, are flipped in the flippin' brains.
> wtf is a smart phone? not that i care. actually, don't tell me. i
> don't knead to know that info.

My dentist has a TV but she knows I detest watching it and turns it off
for my sessions. It always seemed to show that triumph of the embalmer's
art Regis Philby (or whatever?)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 3:25 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> My dentist has a TV but she knows I detest watching it and turns it off
> for my sessions. It always seemed to show that triumph of the embalmer's
> art Regis Philby (or whatever?)

My theory is that a TV that you can watch while a dentist is working on
your teeth is a good thing. I believe that you go into an altered state
of mind when watching the boob tube which tends to keep you relaxed.
I've actually experienced this while my dentist was pulling out my
wisdom teeth. It was a grueling session and he pulled out several. A
very interesting experience it was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 2:12 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:01:30 -0800 (PST), BillyZoom
> > wrote:

>>> Big Brother is US!! Pogo was correct, we have met the enemy and he is
>>> us!
>>>
>>> Glad I don't have a cell phone.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Someday you'll be able to afford one.

> Or maybe have a job it's necessary.
>
> Lou

It is a major asset in paying my bills. Without it I would probably have
to join a wall st protest or something...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> On Nov 30, 10:35 am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> > Glad I don't have a cell phone.

> You and a relative of mine must be the only people I know who are cell-
> less. He figures everyone has one, so if he gets in a jam, plenty of
> Good Samaritan cell users around. Think of the money he's saved and
> the pesky calls he's avoided.

I don't have one either. Even if it's not
a smartphone, it provides a record of your
movements among the cells of the network,
even when it's "off". You'd have to remove
the battery to keep it from doing that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> This discovery could have massive ramifications. I can almost hear the
> lawyers sharpening their teeth. In this case, I wish them the best.

Yes, when information is collected, it can be
subpoenaed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>
>> This discovery could have massive ramifications. I can almost hear the
>> lawyers sharpening their teeth. In this case, I wish them the best.

> Yes, when information is collected, it can be
> subpoenaed.

And hopefully proof of violation of privacy. We do have anti-spyware laws
that probably apply.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 4:09*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. *I'll keep my "old
> fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.
>
> Paul

This is pretty much my stance too. About the only thing I want in a
new phone is a qwerty keyboard for sending texts. Otherwise, I have
no interest in websurfing, taking pictures or videos, or updating
Facebook from my phone. Sadly, you can't buy a phone nowadays that's
not a smartphone.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. I'll keep my "old
> fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.
>
> Paul

I have a Virgin Mobile Blackberry smartphone that costs 35.00 a month.
That's not 200.00.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
You and a relative of mine must be the only people I know who are cell-
less. He figures everyone has one, so if he gets in a jam, plenty of
Good Samaritan cell users around.

Like the people who refuse to vaccinate their children, and instead think
that "herd immunity" will protect them from deadly diseases.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/11 2:12 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:01:30 -0800 (PST), BillyZoom
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 30, 10:35 am, John > wrote:

>>> Glad I don't have a cell phone.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Someday you'll be able to afford one.

> Or maybe have a job it's necessary.
>
> Lou

Or a social life with someone to call....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"deja.blues" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. I'll keep my "old
>> fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.
>>
>> Paul

> I have a Virgin Mobile Blackberry smartphone that costs 35.00 a month.
> That's not 200.00.

How do you know it is a virgin?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 10:47 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Mark > wrote in message
>> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>>
>>> This discovery could have massive ramifications. I can almost hear the
>>> lawyers sharpening their teeth. In this case, I wish them the best.

>> Yes, when information is collected, it can be
>> subpoenaed.

> And hopefully proof of violation of privacy. We do have anti-spyware laws
> that probably apply.
>
> Paul

Unfortunately we have things like the "Patriot act" which gets renewed
periodically by the congress which is totally owned by special
interests. It gives law enforcement extremely broad power to give any
and everyone an anal probe anytime they want as long as they can somehow
claim it maybe possibly has something to do with national security.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 5:09 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. I'll keep my "old
> fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.
>
> Paul

Would you stop eating out or something to save $200 bucks a month? We
have multiple smartphones and regular phones on our plan and it is way
less than $200/month for all of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 1, 12:42*am, phaeton > wrote:
> On Nov 30, 4:09*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
> > I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. *I'll keep my "old
> > fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.

> > Paul

> This is pretty much my stance too. *About the only thing I want in a
> new phone is a qwerty keyboard for sending texts. *Otherwise, I have
> no interest in websurfing, taking pictures or videos, or updating
> Facebook from my phone. *Sadly, you can't buy a phone nowadays that's
> not a smartphone.
>
> -J

That makes three of us.

Yeah, you can't buy a simple PDA (Personal Digital Assistant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_digital_assistant) anymore
either. They all have Wifi and tons of crap you don't need. At the end
of my nursing school I though it would be cool to get a PDA and
nursing drug book software for it to carry with me as a nurse to look
up medications I may not be familiar with. I asked a fellow nursing
student about PDAs and he started talking about data plans, etc. I
said no, you don't understand, I don't want any of that, and he said
well good luck, they all have it now. :-(

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-30, notbob > wrote:

> You've been alerted.

It's not my intention to judge or condemn these ppl, only to make
users aware of the risks they face when they entrust their privacy to
others.

Apparently, this particulare issue has been around for awhile, but
only this week did Mr Eckert offer proof to the extent this software
is eavesdropping on your privacy, sending critical data independent of
contracted service. It's now been claimed iphones also carry this
software as well as some tablets and readers. As a former DOJ
prosecutor suggests, a lawsuit firestorm is inevitable.

http://tinyurl.com/c45ebgz

On the positive side, more and more android developers are coming up
with methods and applications to remove this insidious software.
Google for remove CIQ.

nb --cheapo Tracfon owner, w/ only AAA on speed dial

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2011 1:42 AM, phaeton wrote:
> On Nov 30, 4:09 pm, "Paul M. > wrote:
>> I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. I'll keep my "old
>> fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> This is pretty much my stance too. About the only thing I want in a
> new phone is a qwerty keyboard for sending texts. Otherwise, I have
> no interest in websurfing, taking pictures or videos, or updating
> Facebook from my phone. Sadly, you can't buy a phone nowadays that's
> not a smartphone.
>
> -J

Sure you can. I recently bought one for a family member. I just checked
VZWs website and they show 27 "basic phones" to pick from:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ceCategoryId=2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 02:21:44 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>On 11/30/11 2:12 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:01:30 -0800 (PST), BillyZoom
>> > wrote:

>>> Someday you'll be able to afford one.

>> Or maybe have a job it's necessary.
>>
>> Lou

>Or a social life with someone to call....

that too
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"deja.blues" > wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> > I'm an IT tech and I have no need for a smart phone. I'll keep my "old
> > fashioned" one and save 200 bucks a month.
> >
> > Paul

> I have a Virgin Mobile Blackberry smartphone that costs 35.00 a month.
> That's not 200.00.

Paul needs to do some shopping. I bought an iPhone 4 about a month ago.
That's definitely a smart phone! It cost me US$100. We have a family
plan, and I had already added a line for myself, many years and phones
ago, for the grand price of US$9.99 a month. The phone normally uses
wifi, which is free at my house. You have to buy a data plan, though.
They've come down in price a lot. I'm paying US$15 a month for 200MB.
I used 50MB the first month, even though I was gone for a third of the
month (and I seldom travel).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Dec 2011 15:15:44 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> nb --cheapo Tracfon owner, w/ only AAA on speed dial

The cell phone is my only phone and I don't have anything on speed
dial, so you're one up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 07:54:53 -0500, George >
wrote:

> On 11/30/2011 10:47 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> >> Yes, when information is collected, it can be
> >> subpoenaed.

> > And hopefully proof of violation of privacy. We do have anti-spyware laws
> > that probably apply.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Unfortunately we have things like the "Patriot act" which gets renewed
> periodically by the congress which is totally owned by special
> interests. It gives law enforcement extremely broad power to give any
> and everyone an anal probe anytime they want as long as they can somehow
> claim it maybe possibly has something to do with national security.

Hear, hear!

It must be a smart phone notbob General Cooking 15 11-02-2015 09:02 AM
Is this whack or smart? George M. Middius[_2_] General Cooking 17 16-06-2012 12:14 AM
Twelve SMART Men Brooklyn1 General Cooking 43 08-07-2011 05:12 PM
85 MPG Smart Car Ed Pawlowski Barbecue 0 04-08-2009 12:06 AM
Smart appliances Bob (this one) General Cooking 0 20-09-2005 08:00 PM