Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default immersion blender

Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.

I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 27, 4:23*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> sold? *I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
> gifts. *Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>
> gloria p

On my website down at the right bottom of the page is an Amazon roll
box. I have the Cuisinart stick that is on sale as shown in that
box. I love it. It has a nice big power vortex. I use it for tons
of things.

http://hizzoners.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being sold?
> I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as gifts.
> Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>
> gloria p

I have a Bamix and I really love it. It has lasted for several years now,
and it really seems to have all the power I need for even thick stuff. I use
it just about every day so it gets a lot of use. It's been a long time since
I bought it, but I think it was a little over $100.00. My friend has a
Cuisinart immersion that was around $40.00 to $50.00 and she loves it. I had
a Braun a long time ago, but as you say, the one I had didn't do the job
either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being sold?
> I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as gifts.
> Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.

I buy cheap ones. I've gone through several. No problems with any of them
except for the cordless one. It didn't have enough oopmh. I don't pay
attention to brand. If it is under $20 I just get it and expect it to last
maybe 2 to 5 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being sold?

I have a Braun product that may be this one: http://tinyurl.com/czm4grd
that is 11 years old and still doing all those things for me. It doesn't
say who makes that, but the wattage (much higher than many>) and
accessories, which I use more than the blender, are much the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p > wrote:

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> sold?

I like my Bosch mixxo MSM6A70 cordless immersion blender. Personally, I
would not consider anything but a cordless model, as I do not see cables
hovering over and about hot liquid containers as a good idea...

Otherwise (and posted before), the Swiss-made ESGE Zauberstab stick
blenders are the highest-regarded retail ones here. There are several
models and the cheapest ones can be found for around EUR 80. I believe
they are marketed under the "Bamix" name in the USA and the cheaper
models cost around $100 or a bit more. Braun models are not quite as
highly regarded here, but still considered good and have the advantage
of costing rather less, possibly being better value for money.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-28, Giusi > wrote:

> "gloria.p" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being sold?

> I have a Braun product that may be this one: http://tinyurl.com/czm4grd
> that is 11 years old and still doing all those things for me.

I have the cheapo all-plastic Braun stick blender (~$20). Not sure
what you mean about not enough vortex action. My cheapo Braun has so
much vortex action, my biggest problem is trying to control the heavy
sucking vortex and preventing the thing from clamping solidly on the
bottom of the pan like a damn remora fish. Not sure what the wattage
on the motor is, but it's reliable as a .....well, a stick!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:23:07 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.

I've never had a complaint about my really, really, really old Braun.

> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.

Surly Table has some on sale right now.
<http://www.surlatable.com/search/searchContainer.jsp?q=immersion%20blender&s=true>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>
> gloria p

Love my Cuisinart. Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
quickly.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote > On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:

>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>
>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>
>> gloria p

> Love my Cuisinart. Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
> quickly.

I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a charger?
If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord across a
stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender have a
special use where it's better than whatever usually works? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote > On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>>
>>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Love my Cuisinart. Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
>> quickly.

> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
> immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
> likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a charger?
> If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord across a
> stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender have a
> special use where it's better than whatever usually works? Polly

I use mine for lots of things, mixing eggs for scrambling, into the pot for
something like squash soup, cocoa, lumpy gravy, use for quick whipped cream,
making mayonnaise, and many every day things. I keep mine plugged in since
it's out of the way but still stove accessible, also clean up is a breeze.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/28/2011 9:02 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote > On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>>
>>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Love my Cuisinart. Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
>> quickly.

> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
> immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
> likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a
> charger? If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord
> across a stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender
> have a special use where it's better than whatever usually works? Polly

Home made mayo!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
> immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
> likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a charger?
> If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord across a
> stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender have a
> special use where it's better than whatever usually works? Polly

I use it for curries. The curry powder and cornstarch
can be lumpy if mixed by hand, but become totally smooth
with the blender. I also blend in roasted red peppers,
and they are also pureed by the machine.

I've made an interesting mustard by blending a Dijon
mustard with roasted red peppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 8:11*am, notbob > wrote:

> I have the cheapo all-plastic Braun stick blender (~$20). *Not sure
> what you mean about not enough vortex action. *My cheapo Braun has so
> much vortex action, my biggest problem is trying to control the heavy
> sucking vortex and preventing the thing from clamping solidly on the
> bottom of the pan like a damn remora fish.

Your exaggeration was amusing.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 8:28*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>

> > Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> > sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> > didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.

> > I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
> > gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.

> > gloria p

> Love my Cuisinart. *Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
> quickly.

I've gotten the idea that Cuisinart is not as dependable a brand as
they used to be.
I have the Cuisinart DCC-450BK Coffeemaker, and it has serious design
flaws.

> --
> Janet Wilder

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/28/2011 10:02 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
> immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
> likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a
> charger? If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord
> across a stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender
> have a special use where it's better than whatever usually works?

Any kind of soup you used to have to pour into the blender
in batches. No more, now you just blend it in the pot, and
cleanup is a snap. I'd turn off the burner first, naturally.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message

I've gotten the idea that Cuisinart is not as dependable a brand as
they used to be.
I have the Cuisinart DCC-450BK Coffeemaker, and it has serious design
flaws.

=============

I'm finding that to be true with what used to be dependable brands too.
Cheaply made now it seems.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
>> immersion blender good for?

> I use it for curries. The curry powder and cornstarch
> can be lumpy if mixed by hand, but become totally smooth
> with the blender.

Why would you put cornstarch in a curry? I've never seen it in a curry
recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Nov 2011 14:11:14 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-11-28, Giusi > wrote:
>>
>> "gloria.p" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being sold?

>> I have a Braun product that may be this one: http://tinyurl.com/czm4grd
>> that is 11 years old and still doing all those things for me.

>I have the cheapo all-plastic Braun stick blender (~$20). Not sure
>what you mean about not enough vortex action. My cheapo Braun has so
>much vortex action, my biggest problem is trying to control the heavy
>sucking vortex and preventing the thing from clamping solidly on the
>bottom of the pan like a damn remora fish. Not sure what the wattage
>on the motor is, but it's reliable as a .....well, a stick!
>
>nb

My Braun seems to work like yours. Maybe ours are an earlier version.
I can't remember how long I have had mine. Pretty sure I bought it at
Costco and it came with several attachments.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

>Why would you put cornstarch in a curry? I've never seen it in a curry
>recipe.

I can picture it in a Japanese, Chinese or Pacific Island curry.
But not in a south Asian curry.

Relatedly, I have thought about adding xanthan gum -- in tiny amounts --
to a Pakistani-style pomegranite curry that I often make, but I have
not gotten around to trying it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:02:36 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote > On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>>
>>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Love my Cuisinart. Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
>> quickly.

>I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
>immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
>likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a charger?
>If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord across a
>stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender have a
>special use where it's better than whatever usually works? Polly

Depends on the user, but my corded stick blender is useful enough that
I've kept it for several years. Smooths split pea soup, bean soup,
and gravy. Mixes flour and water for gravy, when you want to do it
that way. Mayo. Vinegarette and other dressings**. Spaghetti sauce
(when you want less chunky-ness). When the homemade strawberry jam
turns out to be too thin to stay on the bread... the stick blender
changes it into strawberry sauce for pancakes & french toast. :-)

**Last use was to make orange salad dressing: condensed orange juice,
regular orange juice, orange zest, oil, salt, honey, dash of mustard
to emulsify. Blend. Topped a salad containing greens, tomatoes,
croutons, raisins, orange segments, onions, and some other stuff I
don't recall. It got et up. ;-)
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Polly Esther wrote:
> >>
> >> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
> >> immersion blender good for?

> > I use it for curries. The curry powder and cornstarch
> > can be lumpy if mixed by hand, but become totally smooth
> > with the blender.

> Why would you put cornstarch in a curry? I've never seen it in a curry
> recipe.

I like it thick. More traditional would be potato,
but that makes it grainy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:39:51 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Giusi wrote:

> > > I use it for curries. The curry powder and cornstarch
> > > can be lumpy if mixed by hand, but become totally smooth
> > > with the blender.

> > Why would you put cornstarch in a curry? I've never seen it in a curry
> > recipe.

> I like it thick. More traditional would be potato,
> but that makes it grainy.

I've never thought about thickening a curry, it's thick to begin with.
I don't make much curry, but when I do it's usually "crossover" curry
made with coconut milk, so that's probably why I don't experience
those problems. What currys are you talking about?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:39:51 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> > Giusi wrote:

> > > Why would you put cornstarch in a curry? I've never seen it in a curry
> > > recipe.

> > I like it thick. More traditional would be potato,
> > but that makes it grainy.

> I've never thought about thickening a curry, it's thick to begin with.
> I don't make much curry, but when I do it's usually "crossover" curry
> made with coconut milk, so that's probably why I don't experience
> those problems. What currys are you talking about?

I am using coconut milk. Maybe I just like it
thicker than you do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
>I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>
>gloria p

I have the Breville 15 speed immersion blender. It's my right arm, I
love it. The variable speed is the greatest.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...n-goodies.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/4crgoyx

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:57:32 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> I am using coconut milk. Maybe I just like it
> thicker than you do.

Oh, honey. If your curry was thicker than mine, it would be the
consistency of library paste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:

>> Why would you put cornstarch in a curry? I've never seen it in a curry
>> recipe.

> I like it thick. More traditional would be potato,
> but that makes it grainy.

Mine don't use potato, either, most of them are actually low carb. The
garlic and ginger paste so many of them start with is already so thick
sometimes you need to add water. I don't recall a single curry that uses
any thickening other than what happens from the ingredients and spices, and
yet thay are fine to eat with naan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

om has one she likes... and i to prefer a "gift" that is useful for the
entire household, i have never got the idea that a gift must by its
definition be useless to everyone but the reciever, Lee
"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being sold?
> I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as gifts.
> Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dh used his for pureeing soup and whipping hot chocolate, truly wonderful if
the motor is strong enough, Lee
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote > On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>>
>>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Love my Cuisinart. Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
>> quickly.

> I risk some smartAlec answers here but I'm okay with it. What is an
> immersion blender good for? And, I'm thinking, wouldn't I be much more
> likely to use one if it was 'on ready' hanging in the pantry in a charger?
> If I had to stop and plug it in and worry about dragging a cord across a
> stove top - that doesn't sound good. Does an immersion blender have a
> special use where it's better than whatever usually works? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default immersion blender - follow up

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>
> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>
> gloria p

Did you get one?
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28 2011, 8:22*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Nov 28, 8:28*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > On 11/27/2011 6:23 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> > > Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
> > > sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
> > > didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.

> > > I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
> > > gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.

> > > gloria p

> > Love my Cuisinart. *Had a cheap one. It wasn't good and it broke too
> > quickly.

> I've gotten the idea that Cuisinart is not as dependable a brand as
> they used to be.
> I have the Cuisinart DCC-450BK Coffeemaker, and it has serious design
> flaws.

The biggest piece of overpriced Cuisinart junk I've seen was a
friend's quartz rod toaster. He asked me to take a look at it after it
broke. One of the heating elements had opened up internally, and no
replacement elements were available. It looked really high tech; but
the execution sucked and apparently they soon discontinued it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2012 12:04 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>
>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>
>> gloria p

> Did you get one?

Yes. Thanks for reminding me. It's a Cuisinart that came with a cutting
cup, chopping and whisk attachments. I found it at Costco. It felt a
lot heftier than the models I saw at Target, or Bed, Bath, Beyond or the
local kitchen shops.

I did follow the advice to hold the display models and press the
buttons. Good advice.

As mentioned elsewhere, I just pureed pea soup with it and LOVED it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2012 9:44 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 1/1/2012 12:04 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>>
>>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Did you get one?

> Yes. Thanks for reminding me. It's a Cuisinart that came with a cutting
> cup, chopping and whisk attachments. I found it at Costco. It felt a lot
> heftier than the models I saw at Target, or Bed, Bath, Beyond or the
> local kitchen shops.
>
> I did follow the advice to hold the display models and press the
> buttons. Good advice.
>
> As mentioned elsewhere, I just pureed pea soup with it and LOVED it.

I just got a Cuisinart food processor and I hope all of the negative
words about Cuisinart here don't come true for my FP. I've always
wanted a full sized one, and I'd hate that I finally got one just to
find out it's a dud.

I love my immersion blender. I use it all the time, and in addition to
the great pureed soups you can do, it fixes mistakes like lumpy sauces
and gravies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 1/1/2012 9:44 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>> On 1/1/2012 12:04 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Did you get one?

>> Yes. Thanks for reminding me. It's a Cuisinart that came with a cutting
>> cup, chopping and whisk attachments. I found it at Costco. It felt a lot
>> heftier than the models I saw at Target, or Bed, Bath, Beyond or the
>> local kitchen shops.
>>
>> I did follow the advice to hold the display models and press the
>> buttons. Good advice.
>>
>> As mentioned elsewhere, I just pureed pea soup with it and LOVED it.

> I just got a Cuisinart food processor and I hope all of the negative words
> about Cuisinart here don't come true for my FP. I've always wanted a full
> sized one, and I'd hate that I finally got one just to find out it's a
> dud.
>
> I love my immersion blender. I use it all the time, and in addition to
> the great pureed soups you can do, it fixes mistakes like lumpy sauces and
> gravies.

I love them both. I use my Cuisinart FP just about every day and no problems
for years now. Also very easy clean up with both.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 1/1/2012 12:04 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have an immersion blender they love that is still being
>>> sold? I donated my last one (Braun?) to a thrift shop because it just
>>> didn't have enough vortex to draw things into the blades.
>>>
>>> I may ask for one for Christmas (I don't mind getting appliances as
>>> gifts. Looking forward to any advice you might have for me.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Did you get one?

> Yes. Thanks for reminding me. It's a Cuisinart that came with a cutting
> cup, chopping and whisk attachments. I found it at Costco. It felt a
> lot heftier than the models I saw at Target, or Bed, Bath, Beyond or the
> local kitchen shops.
>
> I did follow the advice to hold the display models and press the buttons.
> Good advice.
>
> As mentioned elsewhere, I just pureed pea soup with it and LOVED it.
>
> gloria p

I was given a Braun immersion blender about 20 years ago as a gift and it
was broken. I was reluctant to say sorry, you gave me a broken gift. But I
liked the idea of an immersion blender. I found one at (of all places)
Walgreen's (drug store) with three different blades - no whisk attachment
but that's okay. It was only $10. It's still going strong. I use it to
puree soups, stir lumps out of gravy and sauces. I only use my food
processor a couple of times a year but I use the immersion blender at least
once a month. It's sufficiently cold here to warrant a nice hot pot of pea
soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> It's sufficiently cold here to warrant a nice hot pot of pea
>> soup
>>
>> Jill

> Try this sometime:
> --------------------
>
> Here is one of my favorite soup recipes. Recipe comes from the "Fresh
> Market
> Cookbook" which, sadly, I no
> longer have (this is copied from it).
>
> Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potato (or Butternut Squash)

(snippage)

I'm sorry, but I can't quite imagine butternut squash soup combined with
split peas.

Jill <---The Soup Queen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 1, 7:43*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> I just got a Cuisinart food processor and I hope all of the negative
> words about Cuisinart here don't come true for my FP. *I've always
> wanted a full sized one, and I'd hate that I finally got one just to
> find out it's a dud.
>
> I love my immersion blender. *I use it all the time, and in addition to
> the great pureed soups you can do, it fixes mistakes like lumpy sauces
> and gravies.- Hide quoted text -

I love my Cuisinart food processor and my Cuisinart stick blender.
Both are workhorses.
Don't believe all the negativity.

Senior Member

Location: WI

My $10 cheapie lasted about 15 years, until mid-December of 2011. My kids know how important it is to me to have one. I use it regularly, so my daughter was nice enough to pick one up. Hamilton-Beach, I bet she paid $15-20. Thought that counts, though, right? I worry becasue the blender shaft is removeable and you can put a whisk on there. Doubt I'll ever do that; but you never know.

I'm amazed at how much more power it has over my old one. If I liquify a salsa, it's chunks of tomato, whole garlic cloves mixed with rought chopped cilantro. Buzzed it all up, no sweat.

Hasn't even been a month, but, so far, so good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 14:40:00 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> It's sufficiently cold here to warrant a nice hot pot of pea
>>> soup
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Try this sometime:
>> --------------------
>>
>> Here is one of my favorite soup recipes. Recipe comes from the "Fresh
>> Market
>> Cookbook" which, sadly, I no
>> longer have (this is copied from it).
>>
>> Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potato (or Butternut Squash)

>(snippage)
>
>I'm sorry, but I can't quite imagine butternut squash soup combined with
>split peas.

TIAD!

Not only that there is never a reason for split pea or butternut soup
to need blending.... it cooks perfectly smooth all by itself. I cook
pea soup often, I wouldn't consider blending in all those lovely
chunks of ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 12:44:49 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jan 1, 7:43*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>>
>> I just got a Cuisinart food processor and I hope all of the negative
>> words about Cuisinart here don't come true for my FP. *I've always
>> wanted a full sized one, and I'd hate that I finally got one just to
>> find out it's a dud.
>>
>> I love my immersion blender. *I use it all the time, and in addition to
>> the great pureed soups you can do, it fixes mistakes like lumpy sauces
>> and gravies.- Hide quoted text -

>I love my Cuisinart food processor and my Cuisinart stick blender.
>Both are workhorses.
>Don't believe all the negativity.

Pureed soup is disgusting... like it was already eaten and going for
seconds.