Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oven Recipe in Crock Pot?

So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.

Cran-Apple Casserole

Recipe By :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Fruit

3 cups chopped apples
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup oats
2 cups sugar -- *see note
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter

* I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar

Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45
minutes at 325 degrees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 4:27*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
> was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.
>
> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By * * :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size *: 8 * * Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories * *: Fruit
>
> * Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> * *3 * * * * * * * cups *chopped apples
> * *2 * * * * * * * cups *fresh cranberries
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *oats
> * *2 * * * * * * * cups *sugar -- *see note
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *brown sugar
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *chopped pecans
> * *1 * * * * * * * teaspoon *cinnamon
> * *1/2 * * * * * * teaspoon *nutmeg
> * *3 * * * * * * * tablespoons *butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45
> minutes at 325 degrees.

Take it to work and cook it there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I was
> considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but instead
> will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What should I plan
> for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the crock (are those
> crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the crock pot? Anyone see
> any potential problems.
>

> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : Fruit

> 3 cups chopped apples
> 2 cups fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup oats
> 2 cups sugar -- *see note
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45 minutes
> at 325 degrees.

You're not supposed to reheat in the crock-pot. I can't see why it wouldn't
work in the crock-pot except that all that sugar will make a super sticky
mess. And if the top is supposed to get crisp it likely won't. Sorry can't
help you on the time.

Does it have to be served hot? Or is there a microwave so you could reheat
it in there? I would probably not do the crock-pot myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I was
> considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but instead
> will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What should I plan
> for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the crock (are those
> crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the crock pot? Anyone see
> any potential problems.
>

> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : Fruit

> 3 cups chopped apples
> 2 cups fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup oats
> 2 cups sugar -- *see note
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45 minutes
> at 325 degrees.

I strongly advise not putting the ceramic crockpot in the oven. When we did
multiple small cracks in the porcelein appeared. We replaced the unit. The
cracks enter into the porous ceramic and little germs flourish.

The crockpot by itself doesn't get hot enough to bake something like this.
Ours, on high only goes to 200F.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 7:27*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
> was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.
>
> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By * * :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size *: 8 * * Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories * *: Fruit
>
> * Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> * *3 * * * * * * * cups *chopped apples
> * *2 * * * * * * * cups *fresh cranberries
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *oats
> * *2 * * * * * * * cups *sugar -- *see note
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *brown sugar
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *chopped pecans
> * *1 * * * * * * * teaspoon *cinnamon
> * *1/2 * * * * * * teaspoon *nutmeg
> * *3 * * * * * * * tablespoons *butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45
> minutes at 325 degrees.

That recipe looks like what I imagine ass would taste like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Goomba" <>> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing
> food in to
>> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
>> was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
>> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
>> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
>> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
>> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.

My crock pot had a mind of its own last night. I thought to bring the hen
(for stock and chicken to add to dressing) to a boil and then set it on low
for overnight. Well. It boiled on high and it boiled on low. Nothing
other than unplugging the rascal could get it to calm down. It has a heavy
tight-fitting lid so I just let it carry on. It didn't hurt the hen but it
would have made quite a gummy mess of your cranberry recipe. If you decide
to use it, keep an eye on it. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I was
> considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but instead
> will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What should I plan
> for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the crock (are those
> crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the crock pot? Anyone see
> any potential problems.

<recipe snipped>

Goomba, after reading the whole thread, what would concern me is the serving
of it. In a casserole dish, you are going to have a larger surface area and
thinner depth. So you can spoon out a serving that would contain all the
layers.

In my 3 1/2 qt. Crockpot, the depth would make it almost impossible to spoon
out with all the layers in appropriate proportions.

In a 6 qt. Crockpot, the heat is going to be only from the sides (no heating
element in the bottom), so it *may* bake as in an oven, but I kinda have my
doubts.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/11 1:55 AM, bolivar wrote:

> Goomba, after reading the whole thread, what would concern me is the serving
> of it. In a casserole dish, you are going to have a larger surface area and
> thinner depth. So you can spoon out a serving that would contain all the
> layers.
>
> In my 3 1/2 qt. Crockpot, the depth would make it almost impossible to spoon
> out with all the layers in appropriate proportions.
>
> In a 6 qt. Crockpot, the heat is going to be only from the sides (no heating
> element in the bottom), so it *may* bake as in an oven, but I kinda have my
> doubts.
>
> Boli

Good points, Boli. I've chickened out and am going to bake it, then
reheat in the nuker. Not ideal, but I'm too tired to want to worry over
it cooking properly in the crock. Nothing like cooking for a crowd of
strangers all the while working 14 hours tonight :/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 7:27*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
> was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.
>
> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By * * :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size *: 8 * * Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories * *: Fruit
>
> * Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> -------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> * *3 * * * * * * * cups *chopped apples
> * *2 * * * * * * * cups *fresh cranberries
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *oats
> * *2 * * * * * * * cups *sugar -- *see note
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *brown sugar
> * *1/2 * * * * * * cup *chopped pecans
> * *1 * * * * * * * teaspoon *cinnamon
> * *1/2 * * * * * * teaspoon *nutmeg
> * *3 * * * * * * * tablespoons *butter

* I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar

> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45
> minutes at 325 degrees.

Late to the party but.....
I'd bake it and know it's done. Then I'd wrap it in towels right out
of the oven, transport it in one of those insulated carriers - I bet
it stays hot for hours. Nuke at last minute if you wanna be sure. I
did this last year with potatoes au gratin and they were nearly mouth-
burning hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2011 9:53 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

>> "Goomba" <>> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all
>> bringing food in to
>>> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs.
>>> I was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
>>> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
>>> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
>>> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
>>> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.

> My crock pot had a mind of its own last night. I thought to bring the
> hen (for stock and chicken to add to dressing) to a boil and then set it
> on low for overnight. Well. It boiled on high and it boiled on low.
> Nothing other than unplugging the rascal could get it to calm down. It
> has a heavy tight-fitting lid so I just let it carry on. It didn't hurt
> the hen but it would have made quite a gummy mess of your cranberry
> recipe. If you decide to use it, keep an eye on it. Polly

Is it a Rival brand? I threw mine in the trash along with the beans it
burned. That crock pot boiled stuff on "warm" Got myself a Hamilton
Beach and it's wonderful.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 10:10*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 9:53 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>

> >> "Goomba" <>> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all
> >> bringing food in to

> > My crock pot had a mind of its own last night. I thought to bring the
> > hen (for stock and chicken to add to dressing) to a boil and then set it
> > on low for overnight. Well. It boiled on high and it boiled on low.
> > Nothing other than unplugging the rascal could get it to calm down. It
> > has a heavy tight-fitting lid so I just let it carry on. It didn't hurt
> > the hen but it would have made quite a gummy mess of your cranberry
> > recipe. If you decide to use it, keep an eye on it. Polly

> Is it a Rival brand? *I threw mine in the trash along with the beans it
> burned. *That crock pot boiled stuff on "warm" *Got myself a Hamilton
> Beach and it's wonderful.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

LOL- I must have the same model as the one you tossed! I recently made
apple butter in it, and I just cooked it on warm for like 17 hours! It
came out great, BTW...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/22/2011 9:53 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>>> "Goomba" <>> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all
>>> bringing food in to

>> My crock pot had a mind of its own last night. I thought to bring the
>> hen (for stock and chicken to add to dressing) to a boil and then set it
>> on low for overnight. Well. It boiled on high and it boiled on low.
>> Nothing other than unplugging the rascal could get it to calm down. It
>> has a heavy tight-fitting lid so I just let it carry on. It didn't hurt
>> the hen but it would have made quite a gummy mess of your cranberry
>> recipe. If you decide to use it, keep an eye on it. Polly

> Is it a Rival brand? I threw mine in the trash along with the beans it
> burned. That crock pot boiled stuff on "warm" Got myself a Hamilton
> Beach and it's wonderful.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I think most crockpots are designed to heat to just over the boiling temp.
of water, or 212F. We just tossed our Rival. It wouldn't heat past 180F.
Then the switch control went out. The crockpot that cracked in our oven was
also a Rival.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...

>>> My crock pot had a mind of its own last night. I thought to bring the
>>> hen (for stock and chicken to add to dressing) to a boil and then set it
>>> on low for overnight. Well. It boiled on high and it boiled on low.
>>> Nothing other than unplugging the rascal could get it to calm down. It
>>> has a heavy tight-fitting lid so I just let it carry on. It didn't hurt
>>> the hen but it would have made quite a gummy mess of your cranberry
>>> recipe. If you decide to use it, keep an eye on it. Polly

>> Is it a Rival brand? I threw mine in the trash along with the beans it
>> burned. That crock pot boiled stuff on "warm" Got myself a Hamilton
>> Beach and it's wonderful.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>>

> I think most crockpots are designed to heat to just over the boiling temp.
> of water, or 212F. We just tossed our Rival. It wouldn't heat past 180F.
> Then the switch control went out. The crockpot that cracked in our oven
> was also a Rival.
>
> Kent

The one that went crazy last night was a Rival. To be fair, it could be 20
or 30 years old. Maybe it's time for a new one. Not that I expect a new
appliance is going to be perfect. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2011 7:27 PM, Goomba wrote:
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
> was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.
>

> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : Fruit

> 3 cups chopped apples
> 2 cups fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup oats
> 2 cups sugar -- *see note
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45
> minutes at 325 degrees.

I think it will be fine, but different. If the dry ingredients are on
top dotted with butter, it is meant to brown like a crust but it won't
do that in a crock pot.

However it turns out, I think it is a very nice thing that you nurses
are doing! Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

the only drawback i see is not browning the top, i would probably bake it
and nuke to reheat if wanted, but this sounds as if would be ice cold as
well, Lee
"Goomba" > wrote in message
> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I was
> considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but instead
> will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What should I plan
> for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the crock (are those
> crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the crock pot? Anyone see
> any potential problems.
>

> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : Fruit

> 3 cups chopped apples
> 2 cups fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup oats
> 2 cups sugar -- *see note
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45 minutes
> at 325 degrees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> So tomorrow night at work the nursing staff are all bringing food in to
> provide a dinner for families staying with patients in various ICUs. I
> was considering bringing in this recipe that is normally baked but
> instead will crock pot it if it will work. So... will it work? What
> should I plan for in timing do you think?? Or should I bake it in the
> crock (are those crocks usually oven safe?) and just reheat it in the
> crock pot? Anyone see any potential problems.
>

> Cran-Apple Casserole
>
> Recipe By :Festive Feasting Virginia Style; Va. Dept. of Agriculture
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : Fruit

> 3 cups chopped apples
> 2 cups fresh cranberries
> 1/2 cup oats
> 2 cups sugar -- *see note
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 1/2 cup chopped pecans
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> * I prefer to use 2 T. flour and 1 cup of sugar
>
> Mix and place fruit in a 3 quart buttered casserole. Combine dry
> ingredients and pat on top. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 45
> minutes at 325 degrees.

Don't know what you did but I think your crispy topping would be soggy
due to steam and moisture condensation on the underside of the lid
dripping on it.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011