Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Back ribs prices, pretty good

I bought a couple of back rib racks(cryovac) this morning @ $2.88 per
pound. They weighed in at 5.44 pounds. They are very meaty, and come
from the USA(I'm in Canada). I thought this was a very good price.
Tomorrow, I'll slow roast them. Company coming... The packer's name
is 'Farmland.' They're good until Nov. 17...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 9:56*pm, A Moose in Love > wrote:
> I bought a couple of back rib racks(cryovac) this morning @ $2.88 per
> pound. *They weighed in at 5.44 pounds. *They are very meaty, and come
> from the USA(I'm in Canada). *I thought this was a very good price.
> Tomorrow, I'll slow roast them. *Company coming... *The packer's name
> is 'Farmland.' *They're good until Nov. 17...

Very good price! Slow roast 'em and you will be golden!

I incinerated mine a while back when I bought some, for a lot more per
lb than you got them for. :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 11/5/2011 9:56 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I bought a couple of back rib racks(cryovac) this morning @ $2.88 per
> pound. They weighed in at 5.44 pounds. They are very meaty, and come
> from the USA(I'm in Canada). I thought this was a very good price.
> Tomorrow, I'll slow roast them. Company coming... The packer's name
> is 'Farmland.' They're good until Nov. 17...

Lucky you what a score! Back ribs in my neck of the woods have been
running about $6.99/lb of late. If I saw back rib racks for $2.88/lb,
I'd snag a couple racks or so, too!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 1:48*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:45:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:> Those are pork spare ribs, not back ribs. *Back ribs would bethesame> as babyback ribs. *Andthey would never weigh 5.5lbs unlessthey were
> > somehow pumped full of massive amounts of water and phosphates.

> In case you feel like arguing with me:
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect.html
>
> -sw

They are labeled back ribs. They are heavy because they are meaty.
Now, I'm not saying they're not pumped, that I don't know. A store
can't sell spare ribs, and call them back ribs???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 1:48*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:45:42 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:> Those are pork spare ribs, not back ribs. *Back ribs would bethesame> as babyback ribs. *Andthey would never weigh 5.5lbs unlessthey were
> > somehow pumped full of massive amounts of water and phosphates.

> In case you feel like arguing with me:
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribselect.html

I will argue with you using above data which you have supplied:
{
Loin back ribs come from the loin of the hog, where pork chops come
from. You'll sometimes see them called baby back ribs or loin ribs in
the grocery store. They are small in size (1-1/4 to 2-1/4 pounds or
more) and are less meaty, less fatty, and more tender than spareribs.
Because of their smaller size, loin back ribs cook faster than
spareribs. They are one of the most expensive cuts of meat from the
hog due to high consumer demand.
}
Note: 1.25 - 2.25 pounds or more...
Now, having removed them from cryovac, I note that they are bigger in
size than 'normal' sized back ribs. AND they also have a lot of meat
left on the small end. A real good chunk of meat. I've seen St.
Louis, and these aren't it. I've seen reg side ribs, and these aren't
it. They are not what I'd call baby backs. They're just big old back
ribs, but prolly on an older pig/sow. I'll see how they do in the
oven tomorrow. Again, these aren't cut normal like, they have left
lots of meat on there...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 07:56:06 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:
>
>> I bought a couple of back rib racks(cryovac) this morning @ $2.88 per
>> pound. They weighed in at 5.44 pounds. They are very meaty, and come
>> from the USA(I'm in Canada). I thought this was a very good price.

> From what animal?
>
>> Tomorrow, I'll slow roast them. Company coming... The packer's name
>> is 'Farmland.' They're good until Nov. 17...

> Those are pork spare ribs, not back ribs. Back ribs would be the same
> as baby back ribs. And they would never weigh 5.5lbs unless they were
> somehow pumped full of massive amounts of water and phosphates.
>
> Pork spare ribs here are running at $3/lb, regular non-sale price.
> Which is outrageous (as in bad, not as in phat).
>
> -sw

I've never understood the appeal of baby back ribs. Oh sure, the restaurant
jingles on TV talk about baby back ribs. And I'm sure they're fine, except
for the restaurant price. Regular slabs of spare ribs are, as you say,
about $3/lb. I don't find that prohibitive. I do have to be in the mood to
deal with spare ribs. They require a long slow grilling and don't yield
much meat for the effort.

I prefer "country ribs" (which I know aren't "ribs"). But tons of meat,
tastes the same as the meat you get off baby back or spare ribs. I love
this marinade for country ribs. And yes, the recipe is for baked, but you
can also grill them (see the photo on the RFC unofficial web site):

The marinade:

1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges with juice
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce (I use the lower sodium version)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 yellow onion, quartered
1/4 c. neutral vegetable oil (such as canola, nothing heavy like olive oil)
1/4 c. crystallized ginger*

Combine all ingredients (except for the ribs!) in a blender. Pour the
mixture over the ribs in a 13X9 baking dish. Cover and marinate for several
hours or overnight, turning the ribs occasionally.

*crystallized ginger can be very expensive. You can easily substitute a
couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and 1-2 tsp. dried ground ginger powder
to achieve the same taste.

To prepare the dish: 2 hours before serving, preheat the oven to 350F.
Arrange the ribs on a rack in a roasting pan. Reserve the marinade for
basting. Bake ribs for 1 hour, turning once. Brush generously with the
marinade and back for another 1-1/2 hours until fork tender, basting and
turning them every 20-30 minutes.

NOTE: If you prefer you may cook these on a grill. But you'll want indirect
heat to prevent flare-ups and burning. And you will have to turn the meat
and brush it with the reserved marinade more frequently. The aim is nice
slow cooking.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:22:14 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I've never understood the appeal of baby back ribs.

I like the baby back ribs I've bought (not very often) because they're
meatier than regular spare ribs. I don't like bones, so they're a
good compromise. I get meat and he gets bone. I'd rather have a loin
chop, but that's what a compromise is.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>"jmcquown" wrote:
>
>> I've never understood the appeal of baby back ribs.

I don't care for the texture and flavor of baby back ribs, if I want a
meatier rib I'd rather country style ribs... but neither compares to
spare ribs.

>I like the baby back ribs I've bought (not very often) because they're
>meatier than regular spare ribs. I don't like bones, so they're a
>good compromise. I get meat and he gets bone.

Real women prefer big juicy fatty pork bones... "he" must be ***.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>>"jmcquown" wrote:

>>> I've never understood the appeal of baby back ribs.

>I don't care for the texture and flavor of baby back ribs, if I want a
>meatier rib I'd rather country style ribs... but neither compares to
>spare ribs.

I would say the appeal of baby back ribs is they are acceptable
grilled. They do not absolutely have to be barbecued or otherwise
slow-cooked. I have had very good baby backs that were cooked 25 minutes
on a charcoal grill. They do not compare to proper spare ribs from
a smoker, but they I think a lot better than attempts at grilling spare ribs.

Steve