Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Back ribs prices

Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
wouldn't pay that much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
> back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
> ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
> Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
> wouldn't pay that much.

I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
prepare them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:29:58 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> > Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
> > back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
> > ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
> > Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
> > wouldn't pay that much.

> I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
> prepare them?

They'll go on sale in a couple of days and then people will be all
over them at whatever price, because the magic word is 'sale".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:29:58 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
>> back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
>> ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
>> Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
>> wouldn't pay that much.

>I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
>prepare them?

I've never seen pork ribs anywhere near $8/lb... I can buy baby
back/country/spare ribs at my local stupidmarket for under $3/lb...
just yeaterday they had nice looking meaty boneless country ribs at
1.99/lb... didn't buy any because around here they are regulary on
sale at that price and I already have some in my freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> RD?

>> Restaurant Depot.
>>

> Ah, thanks. It's best to spell these things out for the rest of us who
> are not one of the anointed few.

If Marty was in Los Angeles I'd have translated "RD" as "Rodeo Drive."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:48:15 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> >> Restaurant Depot.
> >>

> > Ah, thanks. It's best to spell these things out for the rest of us who
> > are not one of the anointed few.

> If Marty was in Los Angeles I'd have translated "RD" as "Rodeo Drive."

Thanks! I couldn't even get that far. My first thought was Rhode
Island, but that's RI not RD and Raleigh NC would be RNC (fighting
words here).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 16-Sep-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:29:58 -0700, Pico Rico wrote:
>
> > "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> >> Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
> >> back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
> >> ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
> >> Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
> >> wouldn't pay that much.

> > I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
> > prepare them?

> I'm sure they prepare them the same as the $4/lb ribs :-)
> Careless/carefree shoppers usually make lousy cooks.
>
> -sw

I keep thinking about the woman I followed in the checkout at
Whole Foods here in Tampa. She bought two chickens for $12/ea.
I was flabbergasted that anyone would pay $12 for a $6 chicken,
let alone two at a time. What can one do in the raising of chickens
to make them worth double?

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:28:07 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 16-Sep-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

>> > I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
>> > prepare them?

>> I'm sure they prepare them the same as the $4/lb ribs :-)
>> Careless/carefree shoppers usually make lousy cooks.
>>
>> -sw

>I keep thinking about the woman I followed in the checkout at
>Whole Foods here in Tampa. She bought two chickens for $12/ea.
>I was flabbergasted that anyone would pay $12 for a $6 chicken,
>let alone two at a time. What can one do in the raising of chickens
>to make them worth double?

There are lots of people where I live that sell what they claim to be
free range organic chicken, for $4-$6 a pound. I don't buy any but
lots of people do, I think they suffer some psychosis. My next door
neighbor raises such chickens and sells them. even the local
restaurants buy them. I buy national brand name oven stuffer roasters
at the stupidmarket for like $1/lb, my cats love them, how bad can
they be. I'm not big on eating chicken, I have chicken maybe four
times a year, but still I ain't so feather brained to pay like $5/lb
for bird meat any cat can bring home. Several of my nearby neighbors
raise chickens for meat and eggs, some have fabulous web sites, only
reason I don't post them is I don't need the entire web to know
exactly where I live.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2011 2:40 PM, Brokedick1 wrote:
> some have fabulous web sites, only
> reason I don't post them is I don't need the entire web to know
> exactly where I live.

You seem to be pretty full of yourself to think that ANYBODY cares where
the **** you live, Goober. Just sayin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>> If Marty was in Los Angeles I'd have translated "RD" as "Rodeo Drive."

> Do they sell pork anywhere on RD?

Well, you can get a croque monsieur (with ham) at Salades de Provence, 440
N. Rodeo Drive. Does that count?

Bob

Member

Baby back ribs (a.k.a. loin ribs, back ribs, or Canadian back ribs) are taken from the top of the rib cage between the spine and the spare ribs, below the loin muscle. The designation "baby" indicates the cuts are from market weight hogs, rather than sows. They have meat between the bones and on top of the bones, and are shorter, curved, and sometimes meatier than spare ribs. The rack is shorter at one end, due to the natural tapering of a pig's rib cage. The shortest bones are typically only about 3 inches (7.6 cm) and the longest is usually about 6 inches (15 cm), depending on the size of the hog. A pig side has 15 to 16 ribs (depending on the breed), but usually two or three are left on the shoulder when it is separated from the loin. So, a rack of back ribs contains a minimum of 8 ribs (some may be trimmed if damaged), but can include up to 13 ribs, depending on how it has been prepared by the butcher. A typical commercial rack is 10-13 bones. If there are fewer than 10 bones, butchers call them "cheater racks".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:29:43 +0000, Corkey70
> wrote:

> Baby back ribs (a.k.a. loin ribs, back ribs, or Canadian back ribs) are
> taken from the top of the rib cage between the spine and the spare ribs,
> below the loin muscle.

<big snip of typical foodbanter drivel>

Did you post this just to see your name in print?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.