Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mayonnaise on corned beef sandwich -- ick

On 10/30/2011 08:30 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> but they were reliable in the past.
>
> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> napkin (I did the latter).
>
> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? (This place has
> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> to be on the sandwich.)

Holy crap. That's just WRONG, and I LOVE mayo. But on corned beef? What
are they, nuts?

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>I think you're getting icked too easily. I put mayo on corned beef
>and pastrami sandwiches all the time. Does it say it comes with mayo
>now? They can't leave may out on the tables like mustard so they must
>be applying it themselves by default, unless otherwise instructed.

I don't think it said "comes with mayo" anywhere. The menu is up
on a board in the hof-brau area. But since I was assuming their menu
offerings were the same as they always had been, perhaps I didn't
acutally look.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> but they were reliable in the past.
>
> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> napkin (I did the latter).
>
> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? (This place has
> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> to be on the sandwich.)
>
> Steve

You don't know?

Simple, New Hispanic cooks.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 8:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> but they were reliable in the past.
>
> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> napkin (I did the latter).
>
> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? *(This place has
> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> to be on the sandwich.)

I suspect they gave you a previously rejected sandwich. I'm assuming
you didn't watch them assembling it; otherwise you would have shrieked
in horror. Did it appear amazingly quickly? Then, you've been Fry'sed.

Alternately, the assembler might have been on autopilot. If Brennan's
is like Harry's, the condiments on the table do not include
mayonnaise. If he was cued up to put some on, he might have just
followed through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>On Oct 30, 8:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
>> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
>> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
>> but they were reliable in the past.
>>
>> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
>> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
>> napkin (I did the latter).
>>
>> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? *(This place has
>> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
>> to be on the sandwich.)
>>

>I suspect they gave you a previously rejected sandwich. I'm assuming
>you didn't watch them assembling it; otherwise you would have shrieked
>in horror. Did it appear amazingly quickly?
>
>Alternately, the assembler might have been on autopilot.

They did assemble it in front of me, but I did not manage to observe
them slapping on the mayonaisse.

I think autopilot is right.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:15:21 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> Alternately, the assembler might have been on autopilot. If Brennan's
>> is like Harry's, the condiments on the table do not include
>> mayonnaise.

>No restaurant can put mayo on the table (like ketchup) unless it's in
>packets. But Harry's did (at least one time) put mayo on their
>sandwiches by default. I used to go there often.

I have heard of this place but never went there.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 10:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> but they were reliable in the past.
>
> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> napkin (I did the latter).
>
> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? *(This place has
> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> to be on the sandwich.)

Oh, ick indeed. Why on earth would they glop mayonnaise on your
sandwich? I would have complained.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 10:46*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> >I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> > in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> > Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> > but they were reliable in the past.

> > So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> > leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> > napkin (I did the latter).

> > Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? *(This place has
> > mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> > to be on the sandwich.)

> > Steve

> You don't know?
>
> Simple, New Hispanic cooks.

Oh goody, a racist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2011 11:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:30:12 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
>> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
>> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
>> but they were reliable in the past.
>>
>> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
>> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
>> napkin (I did the latter).
>>
>> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? (This place has
>> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
>> to be on the sandwich.)

> I think you're getting icked too easily. I put mayo on corned beef
> and pastrami sandwiches all the time. Does it say it comes with mayo
> now? They can't leave may out on the tables like mustard so they must
> be applying it themselves by default, unless otherwise instructed.
>
> Then again I put mayo on hot dogs, too. But never on fries.

Same here, mayo is fine with me but I'm pretty surprised it would
just show up on a corned beef sandwich when mustard is the expected
condiment.

And I'd happily have mayo on my fries, especially mixed with ketchup.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

>Same here, mayo is fine with me but I'm pretty surprised it would
>just show up on a corned beef sandwich when mustard is the expected
>condiment.

If you're in my area (NorCal / east bay), and you want something
like a corned beef, here's a tip: The Junket, in El Cerrito plaza.
A righteous place that has been there for decades.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2011 7:34 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Nancy > wrote:
>
>> Same here, mayo is fine with me but I'm pretty surprised it would
>> just show up on a corned beef sandwich when mustard is the expected
>> condiment.

> If you're in my area (NorCal / east bay), and you want something
> like a corned beef, here's a tip: The Junket, in El Cerrito plaza.
> A righteous place that has been there for decades.

And if you're over here in Jersey, Harold's Deli in Edison.
Bring a friend and still have leftovers.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:24:07 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>On 10/30/2011 11:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:30:12 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
>>> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
>>> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
>>> but they were reliable in the past.
>>>
>>> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
>>> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
>>> napkin (I did the latter).
>>>
>>> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? (This place has
>>> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
>>> to be on the sandwich.)

>> I think you're getting icked too easily. I put mayo on corned beef
>> and pastrami sandwiches all the time. Does it say it comes with mayo
>> now? They can't leave may out on the tables like mustard so they must
>> be applying it themselves by default, unless otherwise instructed.
>>
>> Then again I put mayo on hot dogs, too. But never on fries.

>Same here, mayo is fine with me but I'm pretty surprised it would
>just show up on a corned beef sandwich when mustard is the expected
>condiment.
>
>And I'd happily have mayo on my fries, especially mixed with ketchup.

Mustard is good but mayonnaise that is brimming with fresh horseradish
sets well also.
--
Mr.E
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2011 9:21 AM, Mr.E wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:24:07 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:

>> Same here, mayo is fine with me but I'm pretty surprised it would
>> just show up on a corned beef sandwich when mustard is the expected
>> condiment.

> Mustard is good but mayonnaise that is brimming with fresh horseradish
> sets well also.

Oh, that sounds good too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2011 9:53 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:24:07 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> And I'd happily have mayo on my fries, especially mixed with ketchup.

> Are you from Utah? ;-) (Remembering that flame war involving that
> "Steve" world traveller-guy)

Heh, more like poor man's thousand island dressing or something. I
had a friend whose mother made that, so I assume that's where I
got it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:48:59 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> And if you're over here in Jersey, Harold's Deli in Edison.
> Bring a friend and still have leftovers.

I like that kind of sandwich, but I need to be forewarned so I can
share.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-31, Steve Pope > wrote:
> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> but they were reliable in the past.

I ate there about 5 yrs ago. Got the french dip and was not impressed.
Never been back. As for your corned beef, that's wrong. Ida taken it
back.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
On Oct 30, 10:46 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> >I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> > in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> > Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> > but they were reliable in the past.

> > So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> > leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> > napkin (I did the latter).

> > Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? (This place has
> > mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> > to be on the sandwich.)

> > Steve

> You don't know?
>
> Simple, New Hispanic cooks.

Oh goody, a racist.

BS this has nothing to do with racism Ask Anthony Bourdain or watch his
show.....

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 8:26*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:30:12 +0000 (UTC),
>
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
> > I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> > in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> > Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> > but they were reliable in the past.

> > So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> > leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> > napkin (I did the latter).

> > Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? *(This place has
> > mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> > to be on the sandwich.)

> You're in the Bay Area and people seem to be addicted to mayonnaise
> here. *I'd never heard of putting mayo on *hamburgers* (which still
> revolts me as much as mayo on corned beef revolts you), but it was the
> norm here - even when I arrived back in the '60s.

The rumor is that McDonald's "special sauce" is basically half mayo
and half Miracle Whip, so not limited to the Bay Area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 10:02*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "projectile vomit chick" > wrote in ...
> On Oct 30, 10:46 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>

> > "Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> > >I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> > > in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> > > Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> > > but they were reliable in the past.

> > > So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> > > leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> > > napkin (I did the latter).

> > > Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? (This place has
> > > mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> > > to be on the sandwich.)

> > > Steve

> > You don't know?

> > Simple, New Hispanic cooks.

> Oh goody, a racist.
>
> BS this has nothing to do with racism Ask Anthony *Bourdain or watch his
> show.....

I read it as "If you didn't grow up eating it, you don't know what
it's supposed to be like." The quality of food in two different Greek
fast food restaurants near my house took a nose dive when the Greek
owners sold to (A) Hispanics, and (B) Asians.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:44:52 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> I read it as "If you didn't grow up eating it, you don't know what
> it's supposed to be like." The quality of food in two different Greek
> fast food restaurants near my house took a nose dive when the Greek
> owners sold to (A) Hispanics, and (B) Asians.

Around here, I've laughed about that for a long time. Years ago I
glimpsed into a favorite (fairly expensive) Italian/seafood
restaurant's kitchen and saw nothing but a sea of Chinese faces and
one of our long time favorite sushi places has always had many
Hispanic workers in the kitchen and out on the floor.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:36:27 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 8:26*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:30:12 +0000 (UTC),
> >

> > You're in the Bay Area and people seem to be addicted to mayonnaise
> > here. *I'd never heard of putting mayo on *hamburgers* (which still
> > revolts me as much as mayo on corned beef revolts you), but it was the
> > norm here - even when I arrived back in the '60s.

> The rumor is that McDonald's "special sauce" is basically half mayo
> and half Miracle Whip, so not limited to the Bay Area.

That stuff is more like bottled Thousand Island dressing than it is
mayonnaise.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 10:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I go into a long-established hofbrau-type restaurant (Brennan's,
> in Berkeley Ca) and order a half a corned beef sanfwich on light rye.
> Now I confess it's been five or more years since I've eaten there,
> but they were reliable in the past.
>
> So the otherwise perfectly-good sandwich came with mayonaisse on it,
> leaving me the choice of complaining, or trying to blot it off with a
> napkin (I did the latter).
>
> Am I confused, or is this completely unreasonable? *(This place has
> mustard out by the tables so I don't expect anything condiments
> to be on the sandwich.)

Any place that puts any condiment on someone else's sandwich w/o
asking is a piece of shit.
That's especially true for jizzy jarred mayo, which isn't even real
mayonnaise.

> Steve

--Bryan