Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Well, I tried it! My new coffee grinder

I just ground my first 3/4 cup of Sumatran beans in my new Black and
Decker coffee grinder. Have it set to about 2/3 towards the finest
setting and the grounds seemed coarser than what I'm used to with my
old coffee slicer. But I'm brewing them right now in my Mr Coffee 12
cup drip machine, so I will see how it comes out.

Seems like a lot more trouble than my old coffee slicer too, what with
the little clear plastic 2 piece ground coffee bin. Had to wash it out
after. With my old coffee slicer I'd just dump the sliced up beans
into my metal filter, whack it a few times to get all the sliced up
coffee out and go. (I rarely wash my coffee slicer.) Not that much
quieter either, one of the benefits I heard of of a low speed grinder
over a high speed slicer.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 6:15*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> I just ground my first 3/4 cup of Sumatran beans in my new Black and
> Decker coffee grinder. Have it set to about 2/3 towards the finest
> setting and the grounds seemed coarser than what I'm used to with my
> old coffee slicer. But I'm brewing them right now in my Mr Coffee 12
> cup drip machine, so I will see how it comes out.
>
> Seems like a lot more trouble than my old coffee slicer too, what with
> the little clear plastic 2 piece ground coffee bin. Had to wash it out
> after. With my old coffee slicer I'd just dump the sliced up beans
> into my metal filter, whack it a few times to get all the sliced up
> coffee out and go. (I rarely wash my coffee slicer.) Not that much
> quieter either, one of the benefits I heard of of a low speed grinder
> over a high speed slicer.
>
> John Kuthe...

And it's ABOUT TIME!!! Grr grr grr! Google STINKIN' GROUPS!!

My Eternal September message ended up here before my GG message, even
though I sent it AFTER!! Google POS Groups!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>I just ground my first 3/4 cup of Sumatran beans in my new Black and
> Decker coffee grinder. Have it set to about 2/3 towards the finest
> setting and the grounds seemed coarser than what I'm used to with my
> old coffee slicer. But I'm brewing them right now in my Mr Coffee 12
> cup drip machine, so I will see how it comes out.
>
> Seems like a lot more trouble than my old coffee slicer too, what with
> the little clear plastic 2 piece ground coffee bin. Had to wash it out
> after. With my old coffee slicer I'd just dump the sliced up beans
> into my metal filter, whack it a few times to get all the sliced up
> coffee out and go. (I rarely wash my coffee slicer.) Not that much
> quieter either, one of the benefits I heard of of a low speed grinder
> over a high speed slicer.
>
> John Kuthe...

Well, I think I need to set the grind size to finer, maybe finest. My
Sumatran's yummy but it could be stronger.

MUCH stronger!!

Next time: finest grind setting!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2011 5:49 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> Well, I think I need to set the grind size to finer, maybe finest. My
> Sumatran's yummy but it could be stronger.
>
> MUCH stronger!!
>
> Next time: finest grind setting!

Some advice from a drip brewer disaster veteran: If you want stronger
coffee, use more coffee. Just grinding it finer may not work and could
lead to bigger problems. Very finely ground coffee can clog up and
prevent water from flowing through, causing overflow from the basket.
It's a waste of coffee, labor and time, and can be a hell of a mess to
clean up. Take it from me. Just use more coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 10:24*am, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 5:49 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

> > Well, I think I need to set the grind size to finer, maybe finest. My
> > Sumatran's yummy but it could be stronger.

> > MUCH stronger!!

> > Next time: finest grind setting!

> Some advice from a drip brewer disaster veteran: If you want stronger
> coffee, use more coffee. Just grinding it finer may not work and could
> lead to bigger problems. Very finely ground coffee can clog up and
> prevent water from flowing through, causing overflow from the basket.
> It's a waste of coffee, labor and time, and can be a hell of a mess to
> clean up. Take it from me. Just use more coffee.

I used 3/4 cup of beans. That's how much my coffee slicer holds,
before sluicing. I'll try a litle finer first, then I hope I don't
have to use more coffee. Sumatran just went up to over $10/lb! I'm
glad I'm working and getting PAID! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2011 10:10 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> I used 3/4 cup of beans. That's how much my coffee slicer holds,
> before sluicing. I'll try a litle finer first, then I hope I don't
> have to use more coffee. Sumatran just went up to over $10/lb! I'm
> glad I'm working and getting PAID! :-)

Suit yourself. Just remember...

<lightning flash and thunderclap>

You were warned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 11:26*am, Bull > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Pennyaline > wrote:
> > On 10/25/2011 5:49 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> > > Well, I think I need to set the grind size to finer, maybe finest. My
> > > Sumatran's yummy but it could be stronger.

> > > MUCH stronger!!

> > > Next time: finest grind setting!

> >Just use more coffee.

> You are exactly right. He's a cheap SOB trying to get a BIG pot of
> coffee from just a few beans ---- and probably can't distinguish between
> strong and nasty bitter.
>
> llub

3/4 cup is what my coffee slicer held, and I'd slice it pretty fine.
And it made a fine 12 cup pot!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 10:24*am, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 5:49 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

> > Well, I think I need to set the grind size to finer, maybe finest. My
> > Sumatran's yummy but it could be stronger.

> > MUCH stronger!!

> > Next time: finest grind setting!

> Some advice from a drip brewer disaster veteran: If you want stronger
> coffee, use more coffee. Just grinding it finer may not work and could
> lead to bigger problems. Very finely ground coffee can clog up and
> prevent water from flowing through, causing overflow from the basket.
> It's a waste of coffee, labor and time, and can be a hell of a mess to
> clean up. Take it from me. Just use more coffee.

I couldn't agree more, a smidge more coffee in the grinder instead of
grinding it to a powder makes a BIG difference. Sometimes just a few
extra beans is all it takes. I bought a Bodum burr grinder in late
Spring and it took me about 4 times to get the grind and amount
correct. My coffee maker is a Black & Decker Brew 'n Go and will brew
up to a 16 ounce mug and I found as little as 3 or 4 extra beans made
all the difference in the world in the taste of a cup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:55:56 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >John Kuthe wrote:
> >>
> >> And it's ABOUT TIME!!! Grr grr grr! Google STINKIN' GROUPS!!
> >>
> >> My Eternal September message ended up here before my GG message, even
> >> though I sent it AFTER!! Google POS Groups!
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...

> >I paid Google $0.50 to delay your postings.
> >Worth every penny. :-)

> How much is it to delay them forever?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> And it's ABOUT TIME!!! Grr grr grr! Google STINKIN' GROUPS!!
>>
>> My Eternal September message ended up here before my GG message, even
>> though I sent it AFTER!! Google POS Groups!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>I paid Google $0.50 to delay your postings.
>Worth every penny. :-)

How much is it to delay them forever?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> And it's ABOUT TIME!!! Grr grr grr! Google STINKIN' GROUPS!!
>
> My Eternal September message ended up here before my GG message, even
> though I sent it AFTER!! Google POS Groups!
>
> John Kuthe...

I paid Google $0.50 to delay your postings.
Worth every penny. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:12:42 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>I pay $6.00 a pound for some of the best Sumatran green beans and roast
>them myself. My coffee is way cheaper and way better than yours. Learn to
>roast.

Great for you -- sucks for most of us. Do you use a Behmor or similar, or
something jerry-rigged on an outdoor grill?

Either way, roasting beans, for most of us, is way too time-consuming.
Especially if it's restricted to a half-pound at a time -- not worth the bother.
Given the poor engineering and build quality of most home roasting devices, it
may involve some hazards. And the smell and dealing with chaff can be a pain in
the butt.

It's great that you enjoy it, but for most of us, coffee is a necessity, yet not
a primary hobby. If I have to double the time I spend preparing coffee and
cleaning up afterward, I'll switch to tea.

>BTW, the grinder is the single most important item for making coffee
>and about 80% of your coffee equipment budget should be spent on the
>grinder until you get up to the point where you've got a $250 grinder.
>Above that, spend half your budget on it.

Agreed.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/panroa...tcoffee2.html/

>nb

Hola!

I've roasted beans in my Wearever Popcorn Pumper... no effort at all
and does a good job if all one wants is a small amount at a time.
However, roasting ones own is pretty meaningless unless one grows
their own, or at least picks their own... otherwise any beans one buys
are mystery beans... may as well buy a can of pre-ground from Walmart.
Enjoy:
http://www.juanvaldez.com/#/inicio/

Senor Martinez

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:12:01 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

> You can also do excellent roasting with a $12 Harbor Freight heat gun, a
> metal dog dish, and a wooden spoon. Also, a heat gun and an old bread
> machine work well.

Your way sounds like more work than it's worth, but I'd buy one of
those cast iron sauce pans just to say I had it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:15:04 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>I'm sitting here sipping a cup of Ethiopian Sidamo Bonko, unrested, that I
>ran off an hour ago. It's the best cup I've tasted in 2 months and surely
>better than any coffee you've ever tasted.

1. Taste is subjective -- there are people who think that Nestle Instant is
better than any brewed coffee they've ever tasted.

2. You ought to get rid of that pompous rod stuck up your ass. Particularly if
it's unrested, many of us might well have tasted better.

For example, I have a very skilled specialty roaster four blocks from my house.
(Misha's, in Alexandria, VA). He roasts every day, in two large commercial
roasters, in an open room adjacent to his cafe, and offers a wide selection of
beans from all over the world.

http://bit.ly/tVEeeS
or
http://www.alexandriacitywebsite.com...0Roaster.h tm

That's my coffee hangout, and where I buy my beans a pound at a time. It's
pretty darned good. I'm not really tempted to see if I can do better.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:15:04 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

> MY way pretty much happens in the background while I'm reading my email. I
> don't have to look at it for the first 10 minutes, only the last 5 or so
> and if the weather's nice I leave the door open so my ears and nose can
> tell me exactly when I need to get personally involved for a few minutes.

Have you ever toasted raw nuts using that method? Seems to me it
would work well.

Just curious... where did you find yours? I found saw one online - 3
qt size - Price:$10.39 + $5.99 Shipping. The one from Amazon with
free shipping was $43.99.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 7:30*am, heyjoe > wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:15:04 -0600, BubbaBob wrote:
> > $6.00/lb., $5.00 when the market isn't crazy.

> Where do you get your green coffee beans?

You mean besides on coffee trees/plants? ;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:54:21 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>heyjoe > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:15:04 -0600, BubbaBob wrote:
>>
>>> $6.00/lb., $5.00 when the market isn't crazy.

>> Where do you get your green coffee beans?
>>

>Usually Sweet Maria's, online. They REALLY know their beans. I get about 12
>lbs at a time to economize on the shipping.

For anyone in Canada, The Green Beanery in Toronto is a great place to
source green coffee beans. If you use the wholesale and bulk pricing
pages they are considerably less expensive.
My son and I usually split a couple different twenty pound lots of
green beans per order.
http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/cata...eans-c-24.html

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:06:10 -0600, BubbaBob
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>

> > Have you ever toasted raw nuts using that method? Seems to me it
> > would work well.

> I usually do nuts in a wok.
>

> > Just curious... where did you find yours? I found saw one online - 3
> > qt size - Price:$10.39 + $5.99 Shipping. The one from Amazon with
> > free shipping was $43.99.
> >

> I'm sorry, where did I find my what?

The cast iron saucepan you showed in the image... geeze. I'm
suspecting that wasn't what you really do now.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Coffee grinder Klaus Totem Coffee 4 01-12-2011 09:52 PM
I tried my new coffee grinder John Kuthe[_4_] General Cooking 0 25-10-2011 12:26 PM
Seeking a low-capacity grinder (non-coffee and coffee) Gerald Abrahamson Coffee 1 22-03-2008 03:57 PM
use for old coffee grinder Michael General Cooking 21 05-03-2005 01:55 AM
Burr coffee grinder Kent H. Cooking Equipment 8 10-10-2003 03:38 AM