Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default British man eats roadkill for thirty years

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...i-eat-roadkill

It beats wasting it!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:39:33 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

>http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...i-eat-roadkill
>
>It beats wasting it!

Critters must taste different on that side of the pond. I haven't
eaten roadkill-- but certainly would if I was hungry.

From about 1/2 way down on that page;
"Rabbit is actually quite bland. Fox is far tastier; there's never any
fat on it, and it's subtle, with a lovely texture, firm but soft. It's
much more versatile than beef, and has a salty, mineral taste rather
like gammon. Frogs and toads taste like chicken and are great in
stir-fries. Rat, which is nice and salty like pork, is good in a
stir-fry, too – I'll throw in celery, onion, peppers and, in autumn,
wild mushrooms I've collected. Badger is not nice and hedgehog is
hideous."

I agree with him on rabbit. I'd have a hard time eating fox for the
first time. I've eaten dog a few decades ago and it wasn't all that
tasty. [it was in a barbecue type sauce- and cooked forever]

Frog legs *do* remind me of chicken-- but I'd hate to have to rely on
cars hitting enough of them [and the legs surviving] to make a meal.
Toad? hmmm. I'm weird. That gives me pause.

Now I'm down to rat. I eat squirrel, so rat shouldn't be that
different. But 'salty like pork'? I've never tasted any meat
that was 'salty' unless it was added salt.

No guesses on badger-- but UK hedgehog *looks* a bit like porcupine.
Our porcupine is actually quite tasty and a lot like pork. It
benefits from braising, and if you have a choice, get one that is
girdling the maple trees, not the pines.

re; the " two-owl bolognese "- Sadly it is illegal for anyone in
the US to pick up roadkill from protected species. Even a feather
is illegal [though I don't know of anyone being arrested for
possessing one]

Roadkill cafes in Australia? I'd have to try it.

Jim

>Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:15:21 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Critters must taste different on that side of the pond. I haven't
>eaten roadkill-- but certainly would if I was hungry.

My husband used to have a boss who hunted. One day, my husband
brought home some delicious venison summer sausage from his boss. Then
he started telling me a story about a time his boss saw a car hit a
deer and drive away. His boss stopped, saw the deer was dead, and
called the game warden for a tag for the deer. I asked, was it this
deer? My husband wasn't sure!

>Frog legs *do* remind me of chicken-- but I'd hate to have to rely on
>cars hitting enough of them [and the legs surviving] to make a meal.

I used to love frog legs when I was little. I even thought they were
fancy. Now, I don't think I could eat them. They were tasty,
though -- mild and sweet.

>Roadkill cafes in Australia? I'd have to try it.

Maybe once just for bragging rights!

I like deer and elk. I love quail. My uncle gave me some
delicious wild boar jerky. I don't think I have had squirrel,
unless it was in Brunswick stew.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:39:33 -0400, Tara >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...i-eat-roadkill
>> >
>> >It beats wasting it!

>> Critters must taste different on that side of the pond.

> Pheasant and venison are luxury foods here. Both delicious and expensive
>if you have to pay for them.

Same here. I've never bought either though-- and I haven't seen a
pheasant in years, come to think of it.

>Pheasants and deer frequently get killed by a
>head-hit on narrow rural roads here, but the corpses don't stay on the
>verge long before someone takes them home.

Birds get swept to the side-- Deer get picked up mostly by road crews.
If they are fresh and undamaged enough, they go to county facilities
where I live.

> We always stop to check a dead pheasant on the roadside and if it's fresh
>and not squashed we eat it :-)

Is that often? [that they are edible?] When I think of the
damage a couple birdshot pellets do to meat, it just seems like most
would have badly bruised meat that wouldn't interest me at all.

On a deer there is still a lot of good meat-- but small critters don't
have that much to start with.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 6:00*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
> >In article >,
> says...

> >> Critters must taste different on that side of the pond.

> > *Pheasant and venison are luxury foods here. Both delicious and expensive
> >if you have to pay for them.

> Same here. * *I've never bought either though-- and I haven't seen a
> pheasant in years, come to think of it.
>
> >Pheasants and deer frequently get killed by a
> >head-hit on narrow rural roads here, but the corpses don't stay on the
> >verge long before someone *takes them home.

> Birds get swept to the side-- Deer get picked up mostly by road crews.
> If they are fresh and undamaged enough, they go to county facilities
> where I live. * * *
>

> > We always stop to check a dead pheasant on the roadside and if it's fresh
> >and not squashed we eat it :-)

> Is that often? * *[that they are edible?] * * When I think of the
> damage a couple birdshot pellets do to meat, it just seems like most
> would have badly bruised meat that wouldn't interest me at all.
>
> On a deer there is still a lot of good meat-- but small critters don't
> have that much to start with. *

That reminded me of a little poem:

It's not the kind of bird
That I'd ever go a-hunting
'Cause there's not much meat
On an indigo bunting

http://nuthatch09.deviantart.com/art...ting-121896008

> Jim

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...i-eat-roadkill
>
> It beats wasting it!

Thirty years is nothing... try fifty... Ha!

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/0aa3907c21f33a7b>

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:29:39 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>Tara > wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...i-eat-roadkill

>> It beats wasting it!

>Thirty years is nothing... try fifty... Ha!
>
><http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/0aa3907c21f33a7b>

The last line is perfect. "His wife, Su, does not share his
passion. She is a vegetarian. "

Jim