Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tempeh- for vegan bacon

What else is tempeh good for?

Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
[I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]

Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from it.
http://www.troutsfarm.com/In_the_Kit...peh/tempeh.htm

If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
with it in the smoker.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> What else is tempeh good for?

Dunno, even dogs won't eat it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 13, 12:46*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> What else is tempeh good for?
>
> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
> [I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]
>
> Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from it.http://www.troutsfarm.com/In_the_Kit...peh/tempeh.htm
>
> If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
> with it in the smoker.
>
> Jim

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/gui...ps_tempeh.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 13, 12:46*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> What else is tempeh good for?
>
> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
> [I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]
>
> Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from it.http://www.troutsfarm.com/In_the_Kit...peh/tempeh.htm
>
> If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
> with it in the smoker.
>
> Jim

Here's a tempeh bacon recipe......but personally I prefer the real
thing
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10560

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

>On Sep 13, 12:46*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> What else is tempeh good for?

-snip-
>Here's a tempeh bacon recipe......but personally I prefer the real
>thing
>http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10560

Thanks for both links. My daughter is playing with the vegan thing
& mentioned this stuff. It sounds like something I might like to
play with.

I think I'll probably like the real thing better, too--- but truth be
told- I don't *really* like bacon like I used to.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>>On Sep 13, 12:46 pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>>> What else is tempeh good for?

> -snip-
>>Here's a tempeh bacon recipe......but personally I prefer the real
>>thing
>>http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10560

> Thanks for both links. My daughter is playing with the vegan thing
> & mentioned this stuff. It sounds like something I might like to
> play with.
>
> I think I'll probably like the real thing better, too--- but truth be
> told- I don't *really* like bacon like I used to.

I have not tried tempeh and wouldn't but... If it is bacon you are seeking,
the raw vegans seem to think eggplant bacon is the best.

http://www.rawsimple.com/2009/05/everydayraw/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/13/2011 12:46 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> What else is tempeh good for?

I love it in mock tuna salad: Steam it for 20 minutes; crumble under
cold running water to cool. Add the stuff you'd add to tuna salad: mayo
(I use vegenaise when I'm making it for vegans), celery, relish, onions,
whatever.

> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?

I've had homemade, and I do think it's better than store-bought, but not
vastly better.

The tempeh bacon recipe in the book Vegan Vittles is really good. My
tempeh-hating partner even likes it.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Elbrecht View Post
What else is tempeh good for?

Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
[I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]

Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from it.
Making Tempeh

If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
with it in the smoker.

Jim
tempeh are soy foods that contain lots of protein and antioxidants. in order to become a delicious meal. Make a variety of tempe. Cook the tempeh burgers, stir-fried tempeh, tempeh with salads etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 3:46*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> What else is tempeh good for?
>
> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
> [I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]
>
> Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from it.http://www.troutsfarm.com/In_the_Kit...peh/tempeh.htm
>
> If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
> with it in the smoker.

Bacon? For a vegetarian? Why? If it smells like a pig and tastes like
a pig, it might as well be a pig. People who decide to be vegetarian
presumably don't want to eat meat. So what is the attraction of
imitation meat?

Does anyone remember vegetarian chopped liver? It was made from
overcooked string beans (and I don't know what else). It can be
edible, but it's never as good as plain string beans with a touch of
butter. Why have fake bacon when you can have real food?

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
On Sep 13, 3:46 pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> What else is tempeh good for?
>
> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
> [I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]
>
> Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from
> it.http://www.troutsfarm.com/In_the_Kit...peh/tempeh.htm
>
> If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
> with it in the smoker.

Bacon? For a vegetarian? Why? If it smells like a pig and tastes like
a pig, it might as well be a pig. People who decide to be vegetarian
presumably don't want to eat meat. So what is the attraction of
imitation meat?

Does anyone remember vegetarian chopped liver? It was made from
overcooked string beans (and I don't know what else). It can be
edible, but it's never as good as plain string beans with a touch of
butter. Why have fake bacon when you can have real food?

I agree. Some Vegan took me to a Chinese Vegetarian restaurant (hey, she
was a gorgeous blond, but that turned out to be the sum total of her
assets), and they had mock this and mock that. It was awful. Mock duck -
tasted not at all like duck. Mock oysters - tasted like a greasy lump. I
thought we were just going to order a bunch of nicely prepared vegetable
dishes. Never again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>On 09/13/2011 12:46 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> What else is tempeh good for?

>I love it in mock tuna salad: Steam it for 20 minutes; crumble under
>cold running water to cool. Add the stuff you'd add to tuna salad: mayo
>(I use vegenaise when I'm making it for vegans), celery, relish, onions,
>whatever.

Thanks-- I'll give that a try.

>> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?

>I've had homemade, and I do think it's better than store-bought, but not
>vastly better.

I think I'll pick up a slab?/brick?/loaf? when I go get the soybeans.
That way I'll have an idea about how it is *supposed* to look & taste.

>The tempeh bacon recipe in the book Vegan Vittles is really good. My
>tempeh-hating partner even likes it.

Thanks. I'll pass that title along to my daughter.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins > wrote:

>On Sep 13, 3:46*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> What else is tempeh good for?
>>
>> Is it worth making my own, or should I just buy some?
>> [I have the parts to throw together an incubator in 1/2 hour or so]
>>
>> Here's how one guy makes tempeh-- and how he makes 'bacon' from it.http://www.troutsfarm.com/In_the_Kit...peh/tempeh.htm
>>
>> If I made some I might just marinate without the liquid smoke and play
>> with it in the smoker.

>Bacon? For a vegetarian? Why?

Because they like the flavor?

>If it smells like a pig and tastes like
>a pig, it might as well be a pig.

Except for the whole 'it isn't an animal' thing-- and it is entirely
different nutritionally.

For me-- I'm thinking it might be tasty. At the least it will be
something new that I get to eat before I die. [If I don't die in the
next few days]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Bacon? For a vegetarian? Why? If it smells like a pig and tastes like
> a pig, it might as well be a pig. People who decide to be vegetarian
> presumably don't want to eat meat. So what is the attraction of
> imitation meat?

On the one hand I think of it like an alcoholic using near beer. Why?
It seems like a bad idea.

On the other hand I've used Kalibur as a cooking ingredient. It's
nearly as good as using a real ale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 01:30:40 -0500, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> I have not tried tempeh and wouldn't but... If it is bacon you are
>> seeking, the raw vegans seem to think eggplant bacon is the best.

>Tempeh is really good in stir fries. I'm no vegan but I really like its
>fermented flavor. Keeps forever in the fridge. Literally years.

That's good to hear. I picked some up at my handy healthfood store
just to see what I'm trying to achieve when I make my own.

'It's in the freezer' the owner says & I'm real impressed. She is
pretty good about keeping slow movers where they will keep best. Their
flax seed is always nice and fresh acting.

So I get some tempeh, and some already made tempeh bacon.

As I'm opening the tempeh I notice the 'best by' date. 2009. Oops--
guess she doesn't have a lot of tempeh addicts stopping by.
Then I check the bacon-- 2008!?

I'll mention it to her next time I'm in there- but I figure all I'm
out is $8 and some freshness. It still has an interesting flavor and
I like the texture of the tempeh. I'll crisp the bacon up a bit
more next time.

I should have my tempeh culture next week so I can try some home-made.

Jim