Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oldest and still edible item in your fridge?

I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
eat my pipes. : ))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
> eat my pipes. : ))

I just found a funny little bottle of some sort of "energy drink" (not
really similar to those things of today) that I picked up in Tokyo back in
1985 or so. It is unopened. I should down it and get it out of there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 11:23*am, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message

> > I'll start: *I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> > shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. *It is impossible to drink and I
> > keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. *I hate giving it
> > fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. *It might
> > eat my pipes. : ))

> I just found a funny little bottle of some sort of "energy drink" (not
> really similar to those things of today) that I picked up in Tokyo back in
> 1985 or so. *It is unopened. *I should down it and get it out of there.

Yeah, I think you should.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 2:23*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message

> > I'll start: *I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> > shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. *It is impossible to drink and I
> > keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. *I hate giving it
> > fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. *It might
> > eat my pipes. : ))

> I just found a funny little bottle of some sort of "energy drink" (not
> really similar to those things of today) that I picked up in Tokyo back in
> 1985 or so. *It is unopened. *I should down it and get it out of there.

Be sure to recyck the bottle.
Your post reminds me of a guy who wore his hard contacts, bought in
Viet Nam, for at least 20 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A large hunk (about three pounds remaining) of an overjarige cheese brought
back from Gouda, Holland, over ten years ago. Triple wrapped -- we just shave
off the outer layer of mold, use what we need, and re-wrap in fresh
paper/saran/foil.

It's the "energizer cheese' -- it just keeps going, and going, and going ...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 1:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
> eat my pipes. : ))

A jar of olive salad. The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it
disappeared.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 8/31/2011 1:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
>> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
>> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
>> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
>> eat my pipes. : ))

> A jar of olive salad. The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it
> disappeared.
>
> Becca

well, HOW old?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:35:06 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it disappeared.

I think I have it in my cupboard!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:36:39 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> > On 8/31/2011 1:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> >> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> >> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
> >> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
> >> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
> >> eat my pipes. : ))

> > A jar of olive salad. The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it
> > disappeared.
> >
> > Becca

> well, HOW old?

How would you know unless you marked it when you bought it?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 3:06*pm, wrote:
> *A large hunk (about three pounds remaining) of an overjarige cheese brought
> back from Gouda, Holland, over ten years ago. Triple wrapped -- we just shave
> off the outer layer of mold, use what we need, and re-wrap in fresh
> paper/saran/foil.
>
> It's the "energizer cheese' -- it just keeps going, and going, and going ....
>
> -- Larry

Didn't I read somewhere that if you wrap cheese in vinegar-soaked
cheesecloth (wrung out, of course) before wrapping further, it will
not mold as quickly?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:36:39 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:

>> > A jar of olive salad. The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it
>> > disappeared.
>> >
>> > Becca

>> well, HOW old?
>>

> How would you know unless you marked it when you bought it?

Well, you could look for info on the label, or remember when you obtained
it, or remember the occasion when it was given to you, or . . .

who cares? But HOW old?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 1:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'll start: *I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. *It is impossible to drink and I
> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. *I hate giving it
> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. *It might
> eat my pipes. : ))

I have a small gift tub of Cheddar cheese spread that "expired" in
2008. That's about it - my fridge is fairly new.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Aug 31, 3:06 pm, wrote:
> A large hunk (about three pounds remaining) of an overjarige cheese
> brought
> back from Gouda, Holland, over ten years ago. Triple wrapped -- we just
> shave
> off the outer layer of mold, use what we need, and re-wrap in fresh
> paper/saran/foil.
>
> It's the "energizer cheese' -- it just keeps going, and going, and going
>
> -- Larry

Didn't I read somewhere that if you wrap cheese in vinegar-soaked
cheesecloth (wrung out, of course) before wrapping further, it will
not mold as quickly?

You tell us. How do we know what you read somewhere?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 2:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'll start: *I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. *It is impossible to drink and I
> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. *I hate giving it
> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. *It might
> eat my pipes. : ))

I've got salad dressing, not as old as your stuff, but about 3 years
old. Bottled Caesar, and bottled 3 cheese ranch. I don't want to use
them because they are so old, and I don't want to throw them out. So
they just sit there. I started making my own vinagrettes, so didn't
use them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 2:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'll start: *I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. *It is impossible to drink and I
> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. *I hate giving it
> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. *It might
> eat my pipes. : ))

Oh yeah. Something else. I've got a bottle of Mescal, that I picked
up in Mazatlan Mexico back in 1979. It just sits there, complete with
worm and everything. Yuch. I could understand drinking it way back
then, but now...???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 4:41*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Aug 31, 3:06*pm, wrote:
>
> > *A large hunk (about three pounds remaining) of an overjarige cheese brought
> > back from Gouda, Holland, over ten years ago. Triple wrapped -- we just shave
> > off the outer layer of mold, use what we need, and re-wrap in fresh
> > paper/saran/foil.

> > It's the "energizer cheese' -- it just keeps going, and going, and going ...

> > -- Larry

> Didn't I read somewhere that if you wrap cheese in vinegar-soaked
> cheesecloth (wrung out, of course) before wrapping further, it will
> not mold as quickly?
>
> N.

Yeah...me. I have had a chunk of parmesan going for months. It's
wrapped in vinegar soaked papertowel, then stored in a ziplock with
all the air expelled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:41:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:36:39 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > > wrote:

> >> well, HOW old?
> >>

> > How would you know unless you marked it when you bought it?

> Well, you could look for info on the label,

Where on the liquid smoke label does it have any information like
that?

> or remember when you obtained
> it, or remember the occasion when it was given to you, or . . .
>
> who cares? But HOW old?

Like I said, how would you know for sure unless it was marked? I
don't remember exactly when I bought mine, but it has to be 20-30
years old. I'm finally down to the bottom and should look for a new
bottle soon.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:41:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:36:39 -0700, "Pico Rico"

>> > How would you know unless you marked it when you bought it?

>> Well, you could look for info on the label,

> Where on the liquid smoke label does it have any information like
> that?
>
>> or remember when you obtained
>> it, or remember the occasion when it was given to you, or . . .
>>
>> who cares? But HOW old?
>>

> Like I said, how would you know for sure unless it was marked? I
> don't remember exactly when I bought mine, but it has to be 20-30
> years old. I'm finally down to the bottom and should look for a new
> bottle soon.

20-30 years. That puts it in perspective. We don't need a time stamp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:41:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"

> Where on the liquid smoke label does it have any information like
> that?

> Like I said, how would you know for sure unless it was marked? I
> don't remember exactly when I bought mine, but it has to be 20-30
> years old. I'm finally down to the bottom and should look for a new
> bottle soon.

That bottle belongs in a museum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:18:02 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:41:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"

> > Where on the liquid smoke label does it have any information like
> > that?

> > Like I said, how would you know for sure unless it was marked? I
> > don't remember exactly when I bought mine, but it has to be 20-30
> > years old. I'm finally down to the bottom and should look for a new
> > bottle soon.

> That bottle belongs in a museum!

Heh.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:18:02 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:41:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"

>>> Where on the liquid smoke label does it have any information like
>>> that?

>>> Like I said, how would you know for sure unless it was marked? I
>>> don't remember exactly when I bought mine, but it has to be 20-30
>>> years old. I'm finally down to the bottom and should look for a new
>>> bottle soon.

>> That bottle belongs in a museum!

> Heh.

Or maybe your fridge, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 2:10*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:41:52 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > > wrote:

> >> "sf" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> Well, you could look for info on the label,

> > Where on the liquid smoke label does it have any information like
> > that?

> >> or remember when you obtained
> >> it, or remember the occasion when it was given to you, or . . .

> >> who cares? *But HOW old?

> > Like I said, how would you know for sure unless it was marked? *I
> > don't remember exactly when I bought mine, but it has to be 20-30
> > years old. *I'm finally down to the bottom and should look for a new
> > bottle soon.

> 20-30 years. *That puts it in perspective. *We don't need a time stamp.

I'd like to know the exact date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 3:36 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> A jar of olive salad. The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it
>> disappeared.
>>
>> Becca

> well, HOW old?

The olive salad is about a year old, maybe more.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 3:43 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> Didn't I read somewhere that if you wrap cheese in vinegar-soaked
> cheesecloth (wrung out, of course) before wrapping further, it will
> not mold as quickly?

Not having any cheesecloth, I used a paper towel that was soaked in
vinegar, to wrap around the cheese. I put the cheese in a plastic bag
and it worked until the cheese was gone.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:22:38 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:18:02 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> > > wrote:

> >> That bottle belongs in a museum!

> > Heh.

> Or maybe your fridge, too.

I keep my bottle of smoke in a cupboard, not the refrigerator.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:22:38 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:18:02 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack

>>> Heh.

>> Or maybe your fridge, too.

> I keep my bottle of smoke in a cupboard, not the refrigerator.

Paleo-alimentation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hackmatack > wrote:

> Paleo-alimentation.

Paleo-alimentation is basically what's at the back of my refridgerator,
once you've scraped off the green fuzz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 00:08:03 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> Hackmatack > wrote:
>
> > Paleo-alimentation.

> Paleo-alimentation is basically what's at the back of my refridgerator,
> once you've scraped off the green fuzz.

Heh. No green fuzzies on smoke. It doesn't even get stale.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" <Oh yeah. Something else. I've got a bottle of Mescal,
that I picked
up in Mazatlan Mexico back in 1979. It just sits there, complete with
worm and everything. Yuch. I could understand drinking it way back
then, but now...???

There's starched and sprinkled baby clothes ready for ironing in our
refrigerator. Not exactly sure of their age but the baby is about to become
a grandfather. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
> eat my pipes. : ))

Hard to say. I just cleaned it out again and don't like to keep old food.
Probably a tossup between Worcestershire sauce or pickles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:52:21 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> There's starched and sprinkled baby clothes ready for ironing in our
> refrigerator. Not exactly sure of their age but the baby is about to become
> a grandfather. Polly

You beat my liquid smoke.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've got salad dressing, not as old as your stuff, but about 3 years
> old. *Bottled Caesar, and bottled 3 cheese ranch. *I don't want to use
> them because they are so old, and I don't want to throw them out. *So
> they just sit there. *I started making my own vinagrettes, so didn't
> use them.

I remember about 15 years ago I was at my parents house and went thru
their refrigerator and noticed they had bottles of salad dressing in
there that had expired ten years before. Totally grossed me out.

The oldest food item I have in my fridge is a bottle of lemon juice.
The expiration date on it says 2009 but I've been using it
sporadically and it still tastes fine. I guess because of the acidic
nature it will last a long, long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 8/31/2011 1:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
>> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
>> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
>> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
>> eat my pipes. : ))

> A jar of olive salad. The oldest was a jar of Liquid Smoke, but it
> disappeared.

The jar or the smoke?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Aug 31, 3:06 pm, wrote:
>> A large hunk (about three pounds remaining) of an overjarige cheese
>> brought
>> back from Gouda, Holland, over ten years ago. Triple wrapped -- we just
>> shave
>> off the outer layer of mold, use what we need, and re-wrap in fresh
>> paper/saran/foil.
>>
>> It's the "energizer cheese' -- it just keeps going, and going, and going
>>
>> -- Larry

> Didn't I read somewhere that if you wrap cheese in vinegar-soaked
> cheesecloth (wrung out, of course) before wrapping further, it will
> not mold as quickly?

Dunno, but that is how they did it before fridges.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hackmatack" > wrote in message
> Hackmatack > wrote:
>
>> Paleo-alimentation.

> Paleo-alimentation is basically what's at the back of my refridgerator,
> once you've scraped off the green fuzz.

lol that sounds awful. I clean my fridge out every friday)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> "A Moose in Love" <Oh yeah. Something else. I've got a bottle of Mescal,
> that I picked
> up in Mazatlan Mexico back in 1979. It just sits there, complete with
> worm and everything. Yuch. I could understand drinking it way back
> then, but now...???
>
> There's starched and sprinkled baby clothes ready for ironing in our
> refrigerator. Not exactly sure of their age but the baby is about to
> become a grandfather. Polly

???

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> I'll start: I've had a bottle of chili pepper wine on the bottom door
>> shelf since........oh,' bout 2003. It is impossible to drink and I
>> keep forgetting to drop a bit into my hot dishes. I hate giving it
>> fridge space, but can't bring myself to pour into the drain. It might
>> eat my pipes. : ))

> Hard to say. I just cleaned it out again and don't like to keep old food.
> Probably a tossup between Worcestershire sauce or pickles.

Mine would be pickles but I don't keep Worcestershire sauce in the fridge.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> On Aug 31, 3:06 pm, wrote:
>>> A large hunk (about three pounds remaining) of an overjarige cheese
>>> brought
>>> back from Gouda, Holland, over ten years ago. Triple wrapped -- we just
>>> shave
>>> off the outer layer of mold, use what we need, and re-wrap in fresh
>>> paper/saran/foil.
>>>
>>> It's the "energizer cheese' -- it just keeps going, and going, and going
>>>
>>> -- Larry

>> Didn't I read somewhere that if you wrap cheese in vinegar-soaked
>> cheesecloth (wrung out, of course) before wrapping further, it will
>> not mold as quickly?

> Dunno, but that is how they did it before fridges.

I have also read to butter the cut edge.

And butter works on a cut onion too. Not so much to preserve it but to stop
the odor. My dad freaked when I moved back home because I had discovered
onions. Prior my mom had only ever used the dried, minced. He didn't want
me to put a cut onion in his fridge because it would stink. I buttered it
and it didn't. Actually I margarined it because they don't use butter.
That worked too. Now they eat real onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Hackmatack" > wrote in message
>> Hackmatack > wrote:
>>
>>> Paleo-alimentation.

>> Paleo-alimentation is basically what's at the back of my refridgerator,
>> once you've scraped off the green fuzz.

> lol that sounds awful. I clean my fridge out every friday)

I should do that. We don't usually have leftovers but... The others in
this house have a tendency to open new bottles/jars/cartons/tubs/packages of
things when there is already a partially eaten one in there. Tonight I knew
something had to be wrong because the fridge was so stuffed full and yet we
needed food.

I found tons of old yogurt. Three tubs of sour cream with just a dab left
in it. Old cream cheese but another cream cheese opened. And I few other
things that were never eaten but had expired. So out they all went.

I also organized. That's another problem I have. Daughter loves to put the
food in there but she doesn't always do it in an organized fashion.
Sometimes she does. Sometimes she doesn't. Because of this I have a lot of
Feta cheese. I couldn't find it so I'd buy more. I would look for a recipe
that uses it but...I am the only one in the house who likes it.