Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roll over

Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
other side? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

If it is very delicate like that I use either a silicone spatula or a steel
turner. Depends on the pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

Oil helps

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 17, 5:46*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> * Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. *They were a little fragile.
> * * Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. *All of them were adequate; none were great.
> * * *What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? *Polly

This type of turner seems to work the best. It's quite flexible so
it's easier to slip it under the food and the
it just seems to work.

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Slotted-St...3590417&sr=1-3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 8:46*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> * Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. *They were a little fragile.
> * * Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. *All of them were adequate; none were great.
> * * *What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? *Polly

A stainless steel turner with a springy blade can be set flat on the
pan before being slipped under the food, provided sticking isn't
severe. When a piece needs to be picked up from both sides at the same
time, I use a left/right pair of fish turners:
http://www.bigtray.com/xlskuimg/RUSS18612CP_xl.jpg.

Jerry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:10:01 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
>> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
>> other side? Polly

>Oil helps

KY is better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/08/2011 8:46 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

I depends on the food and the method. I like tongs, but if something is
fragile I prefer a spatula.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

you have some good answers, so I will ask a question: were they "too"
fragile? If so, why, and how to solve?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

An extra wide spatula.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
>> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
>> other side? Polly

> you have some good answers, so I will ask a question: were they "too"
> fragile? If so, why, and how to solve?

Salmon is a flaky fish. Even not knowing the binders involved in making the
OP's "croquettes", when I make salmon patties they do tend to be a bit
fragile. I use a wide slotted spatula to get under and turn them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 5:46*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> * Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. *They were a little fragile.
> * * Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. *All of them were adequate; none were great.
> * * *What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? *Polly

I like a spatula.

However, without using any oil or fat you cannot brown properly.
Cooking at a temperature that browns, using oil or fat, will just burn
the food if none is used. This is true for pan frying or oven
browning.

A change in color is not the same as "browning".

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:46:35 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

I have a favorite spatula that has a shorter handle, longer "business
end" and is a bit more flexible than the others. If I need more
"help", I'd stabilize what I'm turning with another spatula or a
silicone scraper/spatula.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roll over, Shrimp boil

"sf" <> wrote in message > On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:46:35 -0500, "Polly
Esther"
> > wrote:

>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where
>> quite a
>> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
>> other side? Polly

> I have a favorite spatula that has a shorter handle, longer "business
> end" and is a bit more flexible than the others. If I need more
> "help", I'd stabilize what I'm turning with another spatula or a
> silicone scraper/spatula.

Well. Thank you. Thank you all. I see some spatula recommendations I'll
have to give a try. The problem, if any, was I was going for a moister (is
that a word? looks funny) croquette and cut way back on the flour used.
There was a little oil in the pan; should have added a little more for the
2nd and 3rd batches. While I'm here, I need to thank those who recommended
great care in cooking shrimp. I boiled some magnificent ones for lunch and
they are just 'killer'. Wow. I was vigilant about not over-cooking and
turning them into rubber. Had the timer and a bucket of ice on ready to
halt the cooking process. Wish you were here to share these. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2011 11:48 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Polly > wrote in message
>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
>> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
>> other side? Polly

> you have some good answers, so I will ask a question: were they "too"
> fragile? If so, why, and how to solve?

Adding a little beaten egg to the mix might make them hold together better.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 8/17/2011 11:48 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "Polly > wrote in message
>>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe
>>> not
>>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where
>>> quite
>>> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown
>>> the
>>> other side? Polly

>> you have some good answers, so I will ask a question: were they "too"
>> fragile? If so, why, and how to solve?
>>

> Adding a little beaten egg to the mix might make them hold together
> better.

The OP didn't tell us the recipe. I always add egg. Still doesn't make
them less "fragile" when you turn them in the pan. I still suggest a wide
spatula. That's what I use. A few might slightly crumble but they don't
fall apart.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:19:04 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> While I'm here, I need to thank those who recommended
> great care in cooking shrimp. I boiled some magnificent ones for lunch and
> they are just 'killer'. Wow. I was vigilant about not over-cooking and
> turning them into rubber. Had the timer and a bucket of ice on ready to
> halt the cooking process.

I bet ice water was the key!

> Wish you were here to share these.

Me too. <pout>

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:26:41 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:10:01 -0700, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
>>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite
>>> a collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
>>> other side? Polly

>>Oil helps

> KY is better.

Sheldnerd obviously meant to post that to alt.ass****.ny

But seriously...
Really...

My best solution for turning items (but I always use oil) is to grab the
skillet handle from underneath (underhanded, yes)
Raise the handle away from the heat (tilting the skillet, yes)
Come in with the spatula from the oil side and flip to the dry side. (Oh,
the spatula should be held underhanded as well. I'm surprised they don't
teach this more often on cooking shows.)
The spatula should be in your dominant hand.

I do this while cooking in the nude much to my benefit. (I bet $50 I'm the
only one who got a stiffie thinking about that...)

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2011 6:46 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side? Polly

I have two turners similar to this with a lightly more angled end:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...Slotted-Turner

I have a number of others, but these are my very favorite.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
> other side?

i use a pair of bamboo spatulas (bamboo because it's not so slippery as
metal). I put one against each side and sort of go "up" with one and
"down" with the other, which keeps the food from sliding away.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:31:27 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>On 8/17/2011 6:46 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> Yesterday I was sort of pan-frying ( no fat so I guess that's maybe not
>> exactly 'frying') some salmon croquettes. They were a little fragile.
>> Since I'm the one who does the dishes, I opened the drawer where quite a
>> collection of tongs, spatulas, dippers and forks are housed and tried
>> several. All of them were adequate; none were great.
>> What's your weapon of choice when you need to turn food to brown the
>> other side? Polly

>I have two turners similar to this with a lightly more angled end:
>
>http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...Slotted-Turner
>
>I have a number of others, but these are my very favorite.
>
>gloria p

I have several spatulas/turners but since buying this one the other's
are pretty much retired:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,44734

Material for making spring roll summer roll Rice paper chanh khang General Cooking 1 17-11-2005 03:54 PM
Banh Trang Vietnam for making spring roll / summer roll Rice paper chanh khang Asian Cooking 0 17-11-2005 03:35 PM
On a Roll ~patches~ General Cooking 9 13-09-2005 04:11 PM
nut roll [email protected] Baking 0 15-11-2003 10:45 PM