Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Herbal Teas Contain Contaminants, Mis-Labelled, Etc.

A new study using DNA analysis shows many herbal teas
contain ingrediants not listed on the label and
contaminants.

http://newswire.rockefeller.edu/?page=engine&id=1181

The herbal products industry is a real cesspool, full
of mom-and-pop companies and fly-by-night operators.
You can't trust what the label says. As the study
shows, you could literally be getting lawn clippings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:56:38 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>A new study using DNA analysis shows many herbal teas
>contain ingrediants not listed on the label and
>contaminants.
>
>http://newswire.rockefeller.edu/?page=engine&id=1181
>
>The herbal products industry is a real cesspool, full
>of mom-and-pop companies and fly-by-night operators.
>You can't trust what the label says. As the study
>shows, you could literally be getting lawn clippings.

HA! I've said that for decades... and it's true. My lawn is composed
of hundreds of different plants, many very fragrant herbs... large
patches of chamomile and mint, would probably make a great tea, or you
can smoke it. Whenever I mow particular areas the aromas waft into my
cab in an ever changing array. Anyone wants to clean the underside of
my mower they can have all they can scrape. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/3/2011 7:56 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> A new study using DNA analysis shows many herbal teas
> contain ingrediants not listed on the label and
> contaminants.
>
> http://newswire.rockefeller.edu/?page=engine&id=1181
>
> The herbal products industry is a real cesspool, full
> of mom-and-pop companies and fly-by-night operators.
> You can't trust what the label says. As the study
> shows, you could literally be getting lawn clippings.

Herbal tea has always tasted like dirt to me. I love
tea made with fresh mint, but any of the pre-packaged
stuff is just awful including most of the locally made
(Boulder) Celestial Seasonings.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> A new study using DNA analysis shows many herbal teas
> contain ingrediants not listed on the label and
> contaminants.
>
> http://newswire.rockefeller.edu/?page=engine&id=1181
>
> The herbal products industry is a real cesspool, full
> of mom-and-pop companies and fly-by-night operators.
> You can't trust what the label says. As the study
> shows, you could literally be getting lawn clippings.

Thank you, Orrin Hatch, for sponsoring the Dietary Supplement Health &
Education Act of 1994. I used the lawn clippings example when I taught
nutrition years ago. The FDA's hands are tied unless someone dies or
suffers serious issues, such as with ephedra.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Air contaminants on produce Dee Randall General Cooking 2 30-01-2006 09:48 PM
"herbal teas" Dimitri General Cooking 1 27-10-2005 12:53 AM
herbal teas adam Tea 5 19-11-2003 01:09 PM
herbal teas by 3-crown Dmitri Tea 0 17-11-2003 03:01 AM