Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes

The previous thread regarding ratatouille had me rummaging around in
my vegetable file and I found this. Sounds good, think I'll try it.

Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes

Recipe By: Nathalie Dupree via Eleanor Ostman, 6/2/96
Serving Size: 6
Preparation Time: 0:00

3 small zucchini, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
into 1/4" slices
3 tomatoes, sliced and drained on paper
towels
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons butter

Butter 9x13" baking dish. In baking dish, layer half of zucchini and
then half of tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix together
bread crumbs, oregano and cheeses; sprinkle half over zucchini and
Dot with butter. Bake in 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until
golden brown and bubbly.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>The previous thread regarding ratatouille had me rummaging around in
>my vegetable file and I found this. Sounds good, think I'll try it.
>
> Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes
>
> Recipe By: Nathalie Dupree via Eleanor Ostman, 6/2/96
> Serving Size: 6
> Preparation Time: 0:00

I like that prep time.<g>

I also like the looks of the recipe-- I think I'll give it a go when
my tomatoes get here.

I had a 2 pound zucchini to use tonight [and unlike some folks, *no*
fresh tomatoes]. I ended up with a tasty and healthy dish that
everyone liked. Since it uses layered tomato and zucchini-- I'll
just add it to your thread.

I used canned tomatoes-- if I had fresh ones, I would dice them and
cook them a few minutes in the sauce. And I'd cut back a bit on
the stock that starts the quinoa.

If you don't have Kassler- Canadian bacon would do. [or maybe some
chicken sausage]

Quinoa Zucchini Kassler Casserole
12 servings- 325 cal. [16g fat, 24g protein, 21g carbs]
2lbs zucchini sliced to 1/4", sweated and drained
1 cup quinoa
1 cup chicken stock

2 tbls oil [butter flavored]
½ lb smoked pork loin [Kassler, Canadian bacon]
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 green pepper, ½" chopped
A splash of port [2-3 T?]
28 oz diced tomatoes

2 cups cottage cheese
1 cup crumbled feta
2 eggs
½ cup chopped fresh basil

2 T Italian seasoning
¼ cup parmesan
¾ lb shredded mozzarella

Prepare zucchini on sheet pan. Simmer quinoa in stock until all
stock is absorbed.
Saute Kassler in oil until warm- add onions & garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
Add sliced peppers & sauté another 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with
some port. Add tomatoes and quinoa mixture, and warm through.

Mix cottage cheese, feta, basil and eggs.

In a greased 9x13 pan pan- layer ½ the zucchini, ½ the cheese & egg
mixture. Cover with ½ the vegetable & quinoa. Repeat.

Season with Italian seasoning-sprinkle with parmesan. Cover with
cheese- bake at 350 for 1 hour or until browned.
xxx

I love this time of year--

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:48:31 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>

>>The previous thread regarding ratatouille had me rummaging around in
>>my vegetable file and I found this. Sounds good, think I'll try it.
>>
>> Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes
>>
>> Recipe By: Nathalie Dupree via Eleanor Ostman, 6/2/96
>> Serving Size: 6
>> Preparation Time: 0:00

>I like that prep time.<g>
>
>I also like the looks of the recipe-- I think I'll give it a go when
>my tomatoes get here.
>
>I had a 2 pound zucchini to use tonight [and unlike some folks, *no*
>fresh tomatoes]. I ended up with a tasty and healthy dish that
>everyone liked. Since it uses layered tomato and zucchini-- I'll
>just add it to your thread.
>
>I used canned tomatoes-- if I had fresh ones, I would dice them and
>cook them a few minutes in the sauce. And I'd cut back a bit on
>the stock that starts the quinoa.
>
>If you don't have Kassler- Canadian bacon would do. [or maybe some
>chicken sausage]
>
>Quinoa Zucchini Kassler Casserole
>12 servings- 325 cal. [16g fat, 24g protein, 21g carbs]
>2lbs zucchini sliced to 1/4", sweated and drained
>1 cup quinoa
>1 cup chicken stock
>
>2 tbls oil [butter flavored]
>½ lb smoked pork loin [Kassler, Canadian bacon]
>1 large onion, diced
>3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
>1 green pepper, ½" chopped
>A splash of port [2-3 T?]
>28 oz diced tomatoes
>
>2 cups cottage cheese
>1 cup crumbled feta
>2 eggs
>½ cup chopped fresh basil
>
>2 T Italian seasoning
>¼ cup parmesan
>¾ lb shredded mozzarella
>

>Prepare zucchini on sheet pan. Simmer quinoa in stock until all
>stock is absorbed.
>Saute Kassler in oil until warm- add onions & garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
>Add sliced peppers & sauté another 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with
>some port. Add tomatoes and quinoa mixture, and warm through.
>
>Mix cottage cheese, feta, basil and eggs.
>
>In a greased 9x13 pan pan- layer ½ the zucchini, ½ the cheese & egg
>mixture. Cover with ½ the vegetable & quinoa. Repeat.
>
>Season with Italian seasoning-sprinkle with parmesan. Cover with
>cheese- bake at 350 for 1 hour or until browned.
>xxx
>
>I love this time of year--
>
>Jim

Your recipe is a 'lasagna' take off, hmmmm?

I'm in the same situation. My zucchini is the only thing that is
producing so far. I'm weeks away from red tomatoes. Oh, well.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news

> The previous thread regarding ratatouille had me rummaging around in
> my vegetable file and I found this. Sounds good, think I'll try it.
>
> Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes
>
> Recipe By: Nathalie Dupree via Eleanor Ostman, 6/2/96
> Serving Size: 6
> Preparation Time: 0:00
>
> 3 small zucchini, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
> into 1/4" slices
> 3 tomatoes, sliced and drained on paper
> towels
> Salt
> Freshly ground pepper
> 1 cup dry bread crumbs
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
> 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
> 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
> 3 tablespoons butter
>
> Butter 9x13" baking dish. In baking dish, layer half of zucchini and
> then half of tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix together
> bread crumbs, oregano and cheeses; sprinkle half over zucchini and
> Dot with butter. Bake in 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until
> golden brown and bubbly.
>
> Janet US

She used to be on PBS. She was the messiest cook I've ever seen on tv.
It used to annoy me that she would stand there with her hands hanging in the
bowls and spatter everywhere.....I don't remember her recipes, but she was
soooo laidback....Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> The previous thread regarding ratatouille had me rummaging around in
>> my vegetable file and I found this. Sounds good, think I'll try it.
>>
>> Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes
>>
>> Recipe By: Nathalie Dupree via Eleanor Ostman, 6/2/96

-snip-

> She used to be on PBS. She was the messiest cook I've ever seen on tv.

I don't remember seeing this gal-- but is she even messier than Julia
Child? I rarely watch people cook but I remember her just tossing
and splashing all over the kitchen. My kind of gal.

>It used to annoy me that she would stand there with her hands hanging in the
>bowls and spatter everywhere....

Mess I can take-- but Emeril cooks on GMA some mornings. I like his
methods and often his recipes are excellent--- but he can't keep his
hands out of his nose-- then the food-- then his nose.

Thanks Emeril-- just give me the recipe, I'll cook it myself.<g>

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> "biig" > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>news
>>>
>>> The previous thread regarding ratatouille had me rummaging around in
>>> my vegetable file and I found this. Sounds good, think I'll try it.
>>>
>>> Layered Zucchini and Tomatoes
>>>
>>> Recipe By: Nathalie Dupree via Eleanor Ostman, 6/2/96

> -snip-
>>
>> She used to be on PBS. She was the messiest cook I've ever seen on
>> tv.

> I don't remember seeing this gal-- but is she even messier than Julia
> Child? I rarely watch people cook but I remember her just tossing
> and splashing all over the kitchen. My kind of gal.
>
>>It used to annoy me that she would stand there with her hands hanging in
>>the
>>bowls and spatter everywhere....

> Mess I can take-- but Emeril cooks on GMA some mornings. I like his
> methods and often his recipes are excellent--- but he can't keep his
> hands out of his nose-- then the food-- then his nose.
>
> Thanks Emeril-- just give me the recipe, I'll cook it myself.<g>
>
> Jim

EEWWWW...worse by far....Sharon