Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Related Question:

Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
suddenly hungry. Is this normal?

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:27:44 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe > wrote:

>Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
>suddenly hungry. Is this normal?
>
>TJ

Yes, you should of scooped it up and taken it home.

btw ......dialup in Charlotte NC... WTF
Host name: 77.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2011 1:27 AM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
> suddenly hungry. Is this normal?

What does your intuition tell you?

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2011 8:28 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 7/29/2011 1:27 AM, Tommy Joe wrote:
>> Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
>> suddenly hungry. Is this normal?

> What does your intuition tell you?

I think it told him to think of a stupid question to ask.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:27:44 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

>Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
>suddenly hungry. Is this normal?
>
>TJ

Depends..... are you a vulture?

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 07:28:39 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

> On 7/29/2011 1:27 AM, Tommy Joe wrote:
>> Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
>> suddenly hungry. Is this normal?

> What does your intuition tell you?
>
> George L

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla > wrote:
Tommy Joe wrote:

> > Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
> > suddenly hungry. *Is this normal?

> What does your intuition tell you?

My intuition tells me several things. First, that I was only
kidding. Second, that while I was only kidding I have had thoughts
before on this subject. I love talking about odor. That's because I
love odor. Even the foulest of odors are a God-send.

But what got me started on the subject of dead-animal smells was
the realization that there are plenty of things that smell worse.
When one is out for a walk and encounters the wafting odor of a dead
animal, generally the first thing they'll do is scrunch up their nose
and go, "Whew!", with great exaggeration, especially if they're with
other people. But if they're honest they will also note that their
nose is twitching with curiosity. That is what I encountered
yesterday.

I began to consider this foul odor, that it really wasn't so bad
compared to many others. I sniff-studied that odor, spending a good
half minute reeling it in and savoring it. It was nothing I'd want to
get closer to, I'll admit that - but it was nothing compared to the
odor of dumpster juice and other toxic odors that come from paper
factories and whatnot. But when people are sitting around discussing
odor (they do it now and then, believe me), often the epitome of
stench is regarded as the one belonging to something that has died.
But in truth there are many odors fouler than that. And in truth,
even the ugliest of odors is a joy when one realizes that not smelling
at all would be worse. Smelling that dead animal yesterday helped
make me count my blessings.

But I also wondered if there were maybe some kind of primal drive
behind it, like in the old days, when a tribesman not quite up to the
skills of other hunters in his tribe is forced to take what others
will not. In the real old days, like the cave man days, I wonder if
the smell of a dead thing might have signaled hunger in the brain.

Smell on that a while, George
TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Molder > wrote:
Tommy Joe > wrote:
> >Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
> >suddenly hungry. *Is this normal?

> Yes, you should of scooped it up and taken it home.
> btw ......dialup in Charlotte NC... *WTF
> Host name: 77.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net

I just kind of enjoyed the smell. What do you think I am, some
kind of weirdo who would actually eat the dead thing? I'll admit I
also like the smell of horse manure as well as the smell of a skunk.
But that is only from a distance. I don't want to get down on my
knees in front of a dead skunk or a hunk of horse shit and smell it,
but from a distance the odor has a certain rustic quality to it,
perhaps nostalgia driven. I am not alone as I have known others who
admit to liking the smell of skunk and also the smell of horse
manure.

I don't understand your btw...............dialup in charlotte,
whatever. I'm in Winston. Is that some kind of web site for you or
what? I'm not kidding, I don't understand it.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 29, 2:27*am, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
> suddenly hungry. *Is this normal?
>
> TJ

Food related questions are off topic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 29, 8:11*pm, Portland > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2:27*am, Tommy Joe > wrote:

> > Today while walking in outer suburbia I smelled a dead animal and felt
> > suddenly hungry. *Is this normal?

> Food related questions are off topic.

Good, I'm sick of talking about food. I just got done eating and
the thought of food makes me sick. So I'll talk about something
else. I got hit by a car today, walking across the street. As I went
down (I wasn't hit hard), I saw a flash of faces staring at me. The
sound of the drivers squealing brakes made them all look our way. As
I saw their faces I could see a certain hunger in them that looked
different in each face. Some were hungry to see blood. Others were
hungry with compassion, crying out, "Oh please, don't let anyone get
hurt." The hunger in their faces was caused by the unseen dish about
to be served up, and they were alerted to it by the dinner-bell of the
drivers squealing brakes. What I saw today as I was falling slowly to
the pavement was audio-inspired hunger. The hunger I felt the other
dead when I smelled the dead animal was visually
inspired. .............. Now I must tell you the story I just told
was totally bogus and written totally on the fly. But I wrote it to
prove that perhaps all topics are food related in some way. Go ahead,
talk about something, I guarantee you I can drag food into it. That's
because everything is based on hunger, on top of which not only do we
eat food, we ourselves are food for other animals and tiny unseen
germs. It's an eat of be eaten world in which we live.

Now, let's talk about tomorrow's dinner,
TJ