Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A tip for wait staff

On 24/07/2011 4:26 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2:09 pm, (Sharon C) wrote:
>> It irritates me also when the wait staff asks if I want my change. I
>> think it's poor manners on their part.

> A waitress once failed to return some change. Fifteen minutes later,
> she approached the table - "Oh, I assumed it was a tip". She got the
> message never to assume, even if a thin dime. Don't these people get
> some training before lettin' em loose?

The thing of it is that a lot of them are just plain dishonest. My son
goes through a lot of wait staff and the biggest single problem is
theft. They find ways to steal from the the restaurant and from the
customers.

We had a local place where I used to go fro Saturday afternoon blues
jams and one waitress was prone to short changing. She was so reliably
dishonest that one day when friends of mine joined us there I warned
them to check their change. Not only did she shortchange my friend, but
she also foisted a lower grade drink on her. My friend, who is also a
waitress, had ordered and paid for a premium cognac and got a cheaper
bar grade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 4:04*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> The thing of it is that a lot of them are just plain dishonest. My son
> goes through a lot of wait staff and the biggest single problem is
> theft. *They find ways to steal from the the restaurant and from the
> customers.
>
> We had a local place where I used to go fro Saturday afternoon blues
> jams and one waitress was prone to short changing. She was so reliably
> dishonest that one day when friends of mine joined us there I warned
> them to check their change. *Not only did she shortchange my friend, but
> she also foisted a lower grade drink on her. My friend, who is also a
> waitress, *had ordered and paid for a premium cognac and got a cheaper
> bar grade.

And?? She didn't tell her she didn't appreciate what she had done??
She didn't speak to the manager?? Details, details!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:59:01 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 4:04*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> >

> > The thing of it is that a lot of them are just plain dishonest. My son
> > goes through a lot of wait staff and the biggest single problem is
> > theft. *They find ways to steal from the the restaurant and from the
> > customers.
> >
> > We had a local place where I used to go fro Saturday afternoon blues
> > jams and one waitress was prone to short changing. She was so reliably
> > dishonest that one day when friends of mine joined us there I warned
> > them to check their change. *Not only did she shortchange my friend, but
> > she also foisted a lower grade drink on her. My friend, who is also a
> > waitress, *had ordered and paid for a premium cognac and got a cheaper
> > bar grade.
> >

> And?? She didn't tell her she didn't appreciate what she had done??
> She didn't speak to the manager?? Details, details!

I know, I know! We want to know the rest of this tale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:04:21 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 24/07/2011 4:26 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Jul 24, 2:09 pm, (Sharon C) wrote:
>>> It irritates me also when the wait staff asks if I want my change. I
>>> think it's poor manners on their part.

>> A waitress once failed to return some change. Fifteen minutes later,
>> she approached the table - "Oh, I assumed it was a tip". She got the
>> message never to assume, even if a thin dime. Don't these people get
>> some training before lettin' em loose?

> The thing of it is that a lot of them are just plain dishonest. My son
> goes through a lot of wait staff and the biggest single problem is
> theft. They find ways to steal from the the restaurant and from the
> customers.
>
> We had a local place where I used to go fro Saturday afternoon blues
> jams and one waitress was prone to short changing. She was so reliably
> dishonest that one day when friends of mine joined us there I warned
> them to check their change. Not only did she shortchange my friend, but
> she also foisted a lower grade drink on her. My friend, who is also a
> waitress, had ordered and paid for a premium cognac and got a cheaper
> bar grade.

i did know a bartender who was somehow offended when someone ordered
courvoisier and coke and would give them rail brandy every time.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:47:35 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> i did know a bartender who was somehow offended when someone ordered
> courvoisier and coke and would give them rail brandy every time.

Sounds like he was on the kind of power trip I see some posters here
claim they go on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:22:01 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:47:35 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> i did know a bartender who was somehow offended when someone ordered
>> courvoisier and coke and would give them rail brandy every time.

> Sounds like he was on the kind of power trip I see some posters here
> claim they go on.

it was also sorta a racial thing because the only such customers were
black. but you're right, passive-aggressive, just like some blowhards
here.

your pal,
blake