Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whole Foods To Divest Most Of Wild Oats Stores

Read about it he

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/03/wholefoods.shtm

They've reached a settlement with the FTC, which
requires divesting most of the stores acquired
from Wild Oats in certain markets where this
suppressed competition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Read about it he
>
> http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/03/wholefoods.shtm
>
> They've reached a settlement with the FTC, which
> requires divesting most of the stores acquired
> from Wild Oats in certain markets where this
> suppressed competition.

I have mixed feelings on this. WF should never have been allowed
to acquire WO in the first place. Will there really be viable
competition again?

On a personal level, too, what will happen to the granola, which
WO made, and which WF actually started producing under their own
name?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> I have mixed feelings on this. WF should never have been allowed
> to acquire WO in the first place. Will there really be viable
> competition again?

Of course not. WF is keeping the WO stores in markets
where they didn't compete, thus expanding the WF empire.

Of the 32 stores they will divest, 19 are already closed.
WF has pretty much reamed out WO. Whoever buys it
will have the dried-out husk of a formerly vigorous
competitor. WF has achieved their evil goals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 4:21*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Read about it he

> >http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/03/wholefoods.shtm

> > They've reached a settlement with the FTC, which
> > requires divesting most of the stores acquired
> > from Wild Oats in certain markets where this
> > suppressed competition.

> I have mixed feelings on this. *WF should never have been allowed
> to acquire WO in the first place. *Will there really be viable
> competition again?
>
> On a personal level, too, what will happen to the granola, which
> WO made, and which WF actually started producing under their own
> name?

No, but that the kind of crappy capitalism that the former
administration adored.
We had a WF and WO here, within two or three miles of each other.
Now "Whole Paycheck" can be "Whole Paycheck and a bit more," courtesy
of reduced competition.

It's so cool. My 7 YO is listening to The Best of the Animals on
vinyl. "We gotta get out of this place..."
Yesterday, he put on a Hollies album. What's next? I hope it's Who's
Next

> --
> Jean B.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:21 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Mark Thorson wrote:
>>> Read about it he
>>> http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/03/wholefoods.shtm
>>> They've reached a settlement with the FTC, which
>>> requires divesting most of the stores acquired
>>> from Wild Oats in certain markets where this
>>> suppressed competition.

>> I have mixed feelings on this. WF should never have been allowed
>> to acquire WO in the first place. Will there really be viable
>> competition again?
>>
>> On a personal level, too, what will happen to the granola, which
>> WO made, and which WF actually started producing under their own
>> name?

> No, but that the kind of crappy capitalism that the former
> administration adored.

Both the red and blue teams have been very active in promoting mega
everything because the bigger outfits have lots of money to pass out to
make it happen. And each can rationalize why taking the money is a good
thing (we created jobs or its free enterprise at work!). Along these
same lines consider a great portion of our current state is because of
the out of control mega-mega banks and brokerages. At one time banks
couldn't cross state lines and banks and brokerages couldn't be one. Yet
over time both the red and blue teams facilitated making that happen.
Then when it imploded both the red and blue teams worked together to
bail out their friends. Meanwhile the average banks aren't in trouble
but that is never mentioned but we do love mega banks and big box
everything.

> We had a WF and WO here, within two or three miles of each other.
> Now "Whole Paycheck" can be "Whole Paycheck and a bit more," courtesy
> of reduced competition.
>
> It's so cool. My 7 YO is listening to The Best of the Animals on
> vinyl. "We gotta get out of this place..."
> Yesterday, he put on a Hollies album. What's next? I hope it's Who's
> Next
>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Read about it he
>
> http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/03/wholefoods.shtm
>
> They've reached a settlement with the FTC, which
> requires divesting most of the stores acquired
> from Wild Oats in certain markets where this
> suppressed competition.

I personally do not miss Wild Oats. In our area, we still have one WO and
it is on the list to be sold. I will not miss it. One of our small WO
stores was converted to Whole Foods. They are keeping it, as it seems to do
well even though it does not have room for much. I have to say that I stop
at the small store, as it can be on my way home and I just want some produce
or meat for dinner. Those two departments are pretty large.

Actually, I think the government should have kept their nose out of this
merger. It was already a done deal when concerns were raised. A little
late if you ask me. Meantime, Wal-Mart will build more stores and gain more
of a monopoly on everything retail.

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> I have mixed feelings on this. WF should never have been allowed
>> to acquire WO in the first place. Will there really be viable
>> competition again?

> Of course not. WF is keeping the WO stores in markets
> where they didn't compete, thus expanding the WF empire.
>
> Of the 32 stores they will divest, 19 are already closed.
> WF has pretty much reamed out WO. Whoever buys it
> will have the dried-out husk of a formerly vigorous
> competitor. WF has achieved their evil goals.

That's what I fear. This whole thing makes me mad. WF really
needed that competition and then acquired WO at least in part by
using very dirty tricks.

--
Jean B.