Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Mexican Rice

I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
MEXICAN RICE
Janet US
7/16/2011
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
*1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
*1 ¾ cup hot water
½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
slice/chop them myself)
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
rice is lightly browned. Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. Cover and simmer 20-25
minutes until liquid is absorbed. Stir in olives and green onion.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 5:11*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> dish. *Really a variant of pilaf.

So why do you call it Mexican Rice?

> MEXICAN RICE
> Janet US
> 7/16/2011
> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 2 tablespoons butter
> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ *cup
> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> *1 ¾ cup hot water
> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> 1 can *(2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> slice/chop them myself)
> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> rice is lightly browned. *Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. *Cover and simmer 20-25
> minutes until liquid is absorbed. *Stir in olives and green onion.
> Makes 4 to 6 servings

Mmmm. Bouillon cube and jarred Pace Picante. Did you get that off
page 2 of the food section of your local newspaper?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 5:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 5:11*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
> > I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> > dish. *Really a variant of pilaf.

> So why do you call it Mexican Rice?
>

> > MEXICAN RICE
> > Janet US
> > 7/16/2011
> > 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> > 1/3 cup chopped onion
> > 2 tablespoons butter
> > *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ *cup
> > chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> > *1 ¾ cup hot water
> > ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> > 1 can *(2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> > slice/chop them myself)
> > 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> > In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> > rice is lightly browned. *Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> > add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. *Cover and simmer 20-25
> > minutes until liquid is absorbed. *Stir in olives and green onion.
> > Makes 4 to 6 servings

> Mmmm. *Bouillon cube and jarred Pace Picante. *Did you get that off
> page 2 of the food section of your local newspaper?
>
> --Bryan

I was reading to see what you were gonna beat her up about, Bryan.
Nothing wrong with bouillon or Pace Picante sauce. Pace Medium was my
go-to salsa back when I used to buy salsa.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 4:11 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
> MEXICAN RICE
> Janet US
> 7/16/2011
> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 2 tablespoons butter
> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> *1 ¾ cup hot water
> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> 1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> slice/chop them myself)
> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion

You lkft out the cumin!

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Jul 16, 5:11*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
>> dish. *Really a variant of pilaf.

>So why do you call it Mexican Rice?
>
>> MEXICAN RICE
>> Janet US
>> 7/16/2011
>> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
>> 1/3 cup chopped onion
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ *cup
>> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
>> *1 ¾ cup hot water
>> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
>> 1 can *(2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
>> slice/chop them myself)
>> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
>> In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
>> rice is lightly browned. *Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
>> add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. *Cover and simmer 20-25
>> minutes until liquid is absorbed. *Stir in olives and green onion.
>> Makes 4 to 6 servings

>Mmmm. Bouillon cube and jarred Pace Picante. Did you get that off
>page 2 of the food section of your local newspaper?
>
>--Bryan

Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
things to suit themselves. I did indicate subs for the bouillon
cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
figure that part out. I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.
.. .how to change up a basic rice dish into anything you like.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:37:22 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>On 7/16/2011 4:11 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
>> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
>> MEXICAN RICE
>> Janet US
>> 7/16/2011
>> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
>> 1/3 cup chopped onion
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
>> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
>> *1 ¾ cup hot water
>> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
>> 1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
>> slice/chop them myself)
>> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion

>You lkft out the cumin!
>
>gloria p

Go for it!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 5:49*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jul 16, 5:11 pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> >> I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> >> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.

> >So why do you call it Mexican Rice?

> >> MEXICAN RICE
> >> Janet US
> >> 7/16/2011
> >> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> >> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> >> 2 tablespoons butter
> >> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 cup
> >> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> >> *1 cup hot water
> >> cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> >> 1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> >> slice/chop them myself)
> >> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> >> In skillet, saut rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> >> rice is lightly browned. Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> >> add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. Cover and simmer 20-25
> >> minutes until liquid is absorbed. Stir in olives and green onion.
> >> Makes 4 to 6 servings

> >Mmmm. *Bouillon cube and jarred Pace Picante. *Did you get that off
> >page 2 of the food section of your local newspaper?

> >--Bryan

> Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
> things to suit themselves. * *I did indicate subs for the bouillon
> cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
> figure that part out. *I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
> For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.

You're a veritable Sandra Lee.
*
> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 5:25*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 5:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 16, 5:11*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> > > I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> > > dish. *Really a variant of pilaf.

> > So why do you call it Mexican Rice?

> > > MEXICAN RICE
> > > Janet US
> > > 7/16/2011
> > > 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> > > 1/3 cup chopped onion
> > > 2 tablespoons butter
> > > *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ *cup
> > > chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> > > *1 ¾ cup hot water
> > > ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> > > 1 can *(2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> > > slice/chop them myself)
> > > 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> > > In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> > > rice is lightly browned. *Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> > > add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. *Cover and simmer 20-25
> > > minutes until liquid is absorbed. *Stir in olives and green onion.
> > > Makes 4 to 6 servings

> > Mmmm. *Bouillon cube and jarred Pace Picante. *Did you get that off
> > page 2 of the food section of your local newspaper?

> > --Bryan

> I was reading to see what you were gonna beat her up about, Bryan.
> Nothing wrong with bouillon or Pace Picante sauce. Pace Medium was my
> go-to salsa back when I used to buy salsa.

As a condiment.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Jul 16, 5:49*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:18:45 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >So why do you call it Mexican Rice?

>> >Mmmm. *Bouillon cube and jarred Pace Picante. *Did you get that off
>> >page 2 of the food section of your local newspaper?

>> >--Bryan

>> Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
>> things to suit themselves. * *I did indicate subs for the bouillon
>> cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
>> figure that part out. *I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
>> For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.

>You're a veritable Sandra Lee.
>*
>> Janet US

>--Bryan

Alas, not so. I don't have her money.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 16, 3:49 pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
> things to suit themselves. I did indicate subs for the bouillon
> cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
> figure that part out. I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
> For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.
> . .how to change up a basic rice dish into anything you like.

Friends who used to live in Baja on the Sea of Cortez made a rice dish
that was as you describe except that they added a small can of Veg-All
to the pot. They called it Beach Rice because it reflected how
relaxed (i.e., lazy) their life there was. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
> MEXICAN RICE
> Janet US
> 7/16/2011
> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 2 tablespoons butter
> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> *1 ¾ cup hot water
> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> 1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> slice/chop them myself)
> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> rice is lightly browned. Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. Cover and simmer 20-25
> minutes until liquid is absorbed. Stir in olives and green onion.
> Makes 4 to 6 servings

Perhaps call it "Salsa Rice", since it isn't Mexican. I recommend La
Costena salsas which are Mexican if you can find them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:34:38 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jul 16, 3:49 pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
>> things to suit themselves. I did indicate subs for the bouillon
>> cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
>> figure that part out. I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
>> For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.
>> . .how to change up a basic rice dish into anything you like.

>Friends who used to live in Baja on the Sea of Cortez made a rice dish
>that was as you describe except that they added a small can of Veg-All
>to the pot. They called it Beach Rice because it reflected how
>relaxed (i.e., lazy) their life there was. -aem

That made a nice picture in my mind ) Perhaps I should have instead
given the basic pilaf recipe and then some suggested variations. Nah.
Too much work. Maybe some other time.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> You're a veritable Sandra Lee.

That's enough! Start posting recipes instead of vitriol for a change.
I bet you won't because you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 5:25 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> I was reading to see what you were gonna beat her up about, Bryan.
> Nothing wrong with bouillon or Pace Picante sauce. Pace Medium was my
> go-to salsa back when I used to buy salsa.

I like Pace. I think Becca makes a Mexican style rice by sauteing the
rice and some onion, then cooking the rice in chicken stock. Somewhere
along the line, she adds some salsa and spices, etc. Pretty good stuff!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 6:17*pm, Ran e at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
> > Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
> > things to suit themselves. * *I did indicate subs for the bouillon
> > cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
> > figure that part out. *I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
> > For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.
> > . .how to change up a basic rice dish into anything you like. *

> * *Don't even bother with him. *He's not worth the time you took typing. *
> I make something similar, using chicken broth and salsa. *I often
> include a pickled jalapeno (no stem) or two. *You can add corn or
> peppers or whatever else you like. *It's pretty good. *

"It's pretty good" is pretty faint praise. "It's pretty good" is the
way I'd describe a recipe that didn't work.

> And it's Mexican-ish. *Certainly no less Mexican than what is often served in
> Mexican restaurants.

Boy, you must have some really crappy Mexican restaurants in your neck
o' the woods (or prairie). I don't frequent Mexican-ish restaurants
where they use jarred (or canned) salsas, or canned nacho cheese
sauce, and these days you can buy fresh jalapenos at freakin' Wal-
Mart. You don't have to resort to those vinegar preserved jarred
things they put on crappy nachos at the ballpark. Oh yeah. A lot of
folks think those nachos are "pretty good." They do match up "pretty
good" with a Bud Light.
I seriously doubt that you'd really be able to take pride in your
handicrafts if the best you could say about them was that they are
"pretty good." And hey, do you really knit with pure linen yarn? I
sure hope you don't use that mingled stuff
Oh, and I noticed that you had "Ham and Bean Soup" for "Linner" last
Sunday. You might want to consider a copy editor for your blog.

> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> On 7/16/2011 5:25 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> > I was reading to see what you were gonna beat her up about, Bryan.
> > Nothing wrong with bouillon or Pace Picante sauce. Pace Medium was my
> > go-to salsa back when I used to buy salsa.

> I like Pace. I think Becca makes a Mexican style rice by sauteing the
> rice and some onion, then cooking the rice in chicken stock. Somewhere
> along the line, she adds some salsa and spices, etc. Pretty good stuff!
>
> George L

Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
more authentic, actually made in Mexico.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:39:41 -0700 (PDT), "Mr. Bill"
> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:31:38 PM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Alas, not so. I don't have her money.

>Janet...what compels you to respond to an idiot?

>I don't know, pretty silly, huh?

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 7:24*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 6:17*pm, Ran e at Arabian Knits >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > *Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> > > Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
> > > things to suit themselves. * *I did indicate subs for the bouillon
> > > cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
> > > figure that part out. *I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
> > > For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea..
> > > . .how to change up a basic rice dish into anything you like. *

> > * *Don't even bother with him. *He's not worth the time you took typing. *
> > I make something similar, using chicken broth and salsa. *I often
> > include a pickled jalapeno (no stem) or two. *You can add corn or
> > peppers or whatever else you like. *It's pretty good. *

> "It's pretty good" is pretty faint praise. *"It's pretty good" is the
> way I'd describe a recipe that didn't work.
>
> > And it's Mexican-ish. *Certainly no less Mexican than what is often served in
> > Mexican restaurants.

> Boy, you must have some really crappy Mexican restaurants in your neck
> o' the woods (or prairie). *I don't frequent Mexican-ish restaurants
> where they use jarred (or canned) salsas, or canned nacho cheese
> sauce, and these days you can buy fresh jalapenos at freakin' Wal-
> Mart. *You don't have to resort to those vinegar preserved jarred
> things they put on crappy nachos at the ballpark. *Oh yeah. *A lot of
> folks think those nachos are "pretty good." *They do match up "pretty
> good" with a Bud Light.
> I seriously doubt that you'd really be able to take pride in your
> handicrafts if the best you could say about them was that they are
> "pretty good." *And hey, do you really knit with pure linen yarn? *I
> sure hope you don't use that mingled stuff
> Oh, and I noticed that you had "Ham and Bean Soup" for "Linner" last
> Sunday. *You might want to consider a copy editor for your blog.
>

> > Regards,
> > Ranee @ Arabian Knits

> --Bryan

Bryan is still licking his wounds over both Del Taco's closing in STL.
They OF COURSE didn't "use jarred (or canned) salsas, or canned nacho
cheese sauce" or anything else Bryan would consider "crappy".

But they are gone now! So Bryan is without any acceptable (to him!)
quasi-Mexican fast food places here in STL. And since he has a garden,
he makes a lot of his own salsas, pico de gallo (or whatever), which
are free from anything gross or unacceptable , to Bryan.

And YOU ALL SHOULD TOO!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 8:09*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 7:24*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 16, 6:17*pm, Ran e at Arabian Knits >
> > wrote:

> > > * *Don't even bother with him. *He's not worth the time you took typing. *
> > > I make something similar, using chicken broth and salsa. *I often
> > > include a pickled jalapeno (no stem) or two. *You can add corn or
> > > peppers or whatever else you like. *It's pretty good. *

> > "It's pretty good" is pretty faint praise. *"It's pretty good" is the
> > way I'd describe a recipe that didn't work.

> > > And it's Mexican-ish. *Certainly no less Mexican than what is often served in
> > > Mexican restaurants.

> > Boy, you must have some really crappy Mexican restaurants in your neck
> > o' the woods (or prairie). *I don't frequent Mexican-ish restaurants
> > where they use jarred (or canned) salsas, or canned nacho cheese
> > sauce, and these days you can buy fresh jalapenos at freakin' Wal-
> > Mart. *You don't have to resort to those vinegar preserved jarred
> > things they put on crappy nachos at the ballpark. *Oh yeah. *A lot of
> > folks think those nachos are "pretty good." *They do match up "pretty
> > good" with a Bud Light.
> > I seriously doubt that you'd really be able to take pride in your
> > handicrafts if the best you could say about them was that they are
> > "pretty good." *And hey, do you really knit with pure linen yarn? *I
> > sure hope you don't use that mingled stuff
> > Oh, and I noticed that you had "Ham and Bean Soup" for "Linner" last
> > Sunday. *You might want to consider a copy editor for your blog.

> > > Regards,
> > > Ranee @ Arabian Knits

> > --Bryan

> Bryan is still licking his wounds over both Del Taco's closing in STL.
> They OF COURSE didn't "use jarred (or canned) salsas, or canned nacho
> cheese sauce" or anything else Bryan would consider "crappy".

They do/did use crappy nacho cheese sauce, but I always avoided those
items. They even used caulking gun guac. ICK! Their bean burritos
were great.

> But they are gone now! So Bryan is without any acceptable (to him!)
> quasi-Mexican fast food places here in STL. And since he has a garden,
> he makes a lot of his own salsas, pico de gallo (or whatever), which
> are free from anything gross or unacceptable , to Bryan.

My home made salsas are indeed free from crappy ingredients. The
tomatoes have arrived. Only the small fruited ones for now, but
plenty of 'em.

> And YOU ALL SHOULD TOO!! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:59:25 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> That made a nice picture in my mind ) Perhaps I should have instead
> given the basic pilaf recipe and then some suggested variations. Nah.
> Too much work. Maybe some other time.
> Janet US

The naysayers/critics are predictable. They post few to no recipes,
but they jump at the chance to rabidly criticize the recipes others
post every chance they get and *that's* what drives people away from
rfc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> The naysayers/critics are predictable. They post few to no recipes,
> but they jump at the chance to rabidly criticize the recipes others
> post every chance they get and *that's* what drives people away from
> rfc.

You forgot about those who don't discuss recipes, don't criticize recipes,
don't post recipes, but whose main participation consists of personal
attacks on the other posters here.

Billy, for example. What a loser.

Bob Pot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:25:03 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:59:25 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> That made a nice picture in my mind ) Perhaps I should have instead
>> given the basic pilaf recipe and then some suggested variations. Nah.
>> Too much work. Maybe some other time.
>> Janet US

>The naysayers/critics are predictable. They post few to no recipes,
>but they jump at the chance to rabidly criticize the recipes others
>post every chance they get and *that's* what drives people away from
>rfc.

I don't know if you ever worked in an office (but this applies to most
any situation). A report needs to be pulled together and written for
the big boss. No one wants to do it. You get volunteered to do it
because "you always do it so well, you know just the thing to say,
yada, yada." You write the report and then the critics chime in. The
bottom line is that there will always be those who criticize what they
can't produce themselves.

I'm glad you all are awake and reading out there -- just proves that
no one is dying yet.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 16, 6:25 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:59:25 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
> > That made a nice picture in my mind ) Perhaps I should have instead
> > given the basic pilaf recipe and then some suggested variations. Nah.
> > Too much work. Maybe some other time.
> > Janet US

> The naysayers/critics are predictable. They post few to no recipes,
> but they jump at the chance to rabidly criticize the recipes others
> post every chance they get and *that's* what drives people away from
> rfc.

In that thread I thought it was hilarious when they got into a
political argument while the original question was why might rfc be
dying.......if irony can be hilarious. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
> MEXICAN RICE
> Janet US
> 7/16/2011
> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 2 tablespoons butter
> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)
> *1 ¾ cup hot water
> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> 1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> slice/chop them myself)
> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> rice is lightly browned. Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. Cover and simmer 20-25
> minutes until liquid is absorbed. Stir in olives and green onion.
> Makes 4 to 6 servings

Similar to what I make but I use olive oil instead of butter and don't add
the olives or green onion. I might add chopped white onion if I have it.
And I might also add red and/or green peppers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
.com...

> George Leppla wrote:
>>
>> On 7/16/2011 5:25 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> > I was reading to see what you were gonna beat her up about, Bryan.
>> > Nothing wrong with bouillon or Pace Picante sauce. Pace Medium was my
>> > go-to salsa back when I used to buy salsa.

>> I like Pace. I think Becca makes a Mexican style rice by sauteing the
>> rice and some onion, then cooking the rice in chicken stock. Somewhere
>> along the line, she adds some salsa and spices, etc. Pretty good stuff!
>>
>> George L

> Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
> more authentic, actually made in Mexico.

Dang! I have a coupon for that brand but can't find it anywhere here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
> > Well, Bryan, anyone with half a brain would simply substitute those
> > things to suit themselves. I did indicate subs for the bouillon
> > cube and I just assumed that if you had your own salsa you could
> > figure that part out. I'm sorry that was too tough for you.
> > For others who may not do much cooking, this is a starting point idea.
> > . .how to change up a basic rice dish into anything you like.

> Don't even bother with him. He's not worth the time you took typing.
> I make something similar, using chicken broth and salsa. I often
> include a pickled jalapeno (no stem) or two. You can add corn or
> peppers or whatever else you like. It's pretty good.

"It's pretty good" is pretty faint praise. "It's pretty good" is the
way I'd describe a recipe that didn't work.

> And it's Mexican-ish. Certainly no less Mexican than what is often served
> in
> Mexican restaurants.

Boy, you must have some really crappy Mexican restaurants in your neck
o' the woods (or prairie). I don't frequent Mexican-ish restaurants
where they use jarred (or canned) salsas, or canned nacho cheese
sauce, and these days you can buy fresh jalapenos at freakin' Wal-
Mart. You don't have to resort to those vinegar preserved jarred
things they put on crappy nachos at the ballpark. Oh yeah. A lot of
folks think those nachos are "pretty good." They do match up "pretty
good" with a Bud Light.
I seriously doubt that you'd really be able to take pride in your
handicrafts if the best you could say about them was that they are
"pretty good." And hey, do you really knit with pure linen yarn? I
sure hope you don't use that mingled stuff
Oh, and I noticed that you had "Ham and Bean Soup" for "Linner" last
Sunday. You might want to consider a copy editor for your blog.

I love fresh Jalapenos but sometimes you just can't get to the store to get
fresh stuff. I always keep a couple of cans of chilies in my cupboard and
once in a while I'll get jarred jalapenos. Like if I have a coupon for
them. They're a nice thing to keep onhand during the winter when you might
be snowed in. I might be inclined to make a Spanish rice during such times
using whatever suitable foods I might have in my cupboard or freezer.

As for the "Linner" that's what my husband calls a meal that is a
combination of lunch and dinner. Such as when we have to eat at 3:00 p.m.
because we will be somewhere at dinner time where we can't eat. Not that we
do that often, but it does happen on occasion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrryan wrote:

>Hearty French Toast
>
>4 slices of dense whole wheat bread.

TIAD!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 7:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
> more authentic, actually made in Mexico.

Sam's sells Pace in the Bucket-O-Salsa size. We keep the container in
our second refrigerator and fill a smaller container for every day use.
It is inexpensive and I like it.

Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.

Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
<GASP>

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 07:46:58 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 7/16/2011 7:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:
>> Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
>> more authentic, actually made in Mexico.

>Sam's sells Pace in the Bucket-O-Salsa size. We keep the container in
>our second refrigerator and fill a smaller container for every day use.
>It is inexpensive and I like it.
>
>Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.
>
>Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
><GASP>
>
>George L

THUD <Falling over faint.>

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 07:46:58 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 7/16/2011 7:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> > Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
> > more authentic, actually made in Mexico.

> Sam's sells Pace in the Bucket-O-Salsa size. We keep the container in
> our second refrigerator and fill a smaller container for every day use.
> It is inexpensive and I like it.
>
> Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.
>
> Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
> <GASP>

Clutching chest and pointing to the back door: Blasphemer, be GONE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> On 7/16/2011 7:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> > Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
> > more authentic, actually made in Mexico.

> Sam's sells Pace in the Bucket-O-Salsa size. We keep the container in
> our second refrigerator and fill a smaller container for every day use.
> It is inexpensive and I like it.
>
> Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.
>
> Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
> <GASP>
>
> George L

Sam's sells some of the La Costena products in large sizes, notably
jalapeno slices. I wouldn't consider La Costena to be high priced at
all, it is a very reasonably priced line and the products are actually
made in Mexico.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
> MEXICAN RICE
> Janet US
> 7/16/2011
> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> 1/3 cup chopped onion
> 2 tablespoons butter
> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)

Knorr & others make a powdered chicken base with tomato - It's usually the
red color in Mexican Restaurant rice.

> *1 ¾ cup hot water
> ½ cup salsa (I use Pace Picante)
> 1 can (2.3 ounce) sliced ripe olives (I use whole olives and
> slice/chop them myself)
> 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
> In skillet, sauté rice and onion in butter until onion is tender and
> rice is lightly browned. Add bouillon cube or chicken base, gradually
> add hot water and salsa, stirring just to mix. Cover and simmer 20-25
> minutes until liquid is absorbed. Stir in olives and green onion.
> Makes 4 to 6 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:20:44 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I know this isn't a traditional Mexican Rice but it is a pleasant side
>> dish. Really a variant of pilaf.
>> MEXICAN RICE
>> Janet US
>> 7/16/2011
>> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
>> 1/3 cup chopped onion
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> *1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 ¾ teaspoon chicken base or 1 ¾ cup
>> chicken broth (if using broth, delete hot water)

>Knorr & others make a powdered chicken base with tomato - It's usually the
>red color in Mexican Restaurant rice.
>snip

that's right. . .I've heard that mentioned here before. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2011 6:46 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.
>
> Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
> <GASP>

There's no regulation that says EVERYONE has to like the same food and I
doubt many of us always use the same recipes. As long as the cook and
the diners like it, that's what counts.

Authentic? Which great-grandmother's recipe defines "authentic"?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 7:46*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> On 7/16/2011 7:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > Pace is ok, but I really like the La Costena salsas. More variety and
> > more authentic, actually made in Mexico.

> Sam's sells Pace in the Bucket-O-Salsa size. *We keep the container in
> our second refrigerator and fill a smaller container for every day use.
> It is inexpensive and I like it.
>
> Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.
>
> Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
> <GASP>

You might as well just throw in a couple of extra TABLESPOONS of salt
then! That's pretty much all canned soup is.

Of course Bryan loves salt, so he'd probably like that! ;-)

And as far as quality ingredients, ever hear phrases like "Garbage in,
garbage out" or "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" or
"You can't polish a turd"?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2011 2:46 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

> ever hear phrases like "Garbage in,
> garbage out" or "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" or
> "You can't polish a turd"?

John... have you ever heard the phrase "You are a Doofus!" ?

I'm betting you have.... more than once.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

totally agree, gettin g worked up over what others eat is just too funny,
Lee

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 7/17/2011 6:46 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>
>> Not every part of every meal has to be home-made or gourmet quality.
>>
>> Heck... I have even been known to make dishes that include canned soup!
>> <GASP>
>>

> There's no regulation that says EVERYONE has to like the same food and I
> doubt many of us always use the same recipes. As long as the cook and the
> diners like it, that's what counts.
>
> Authentic? Which great-grandmother's recipe defines "authentic"?
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 5:22*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:03:48 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:48:00 -0600, Janet Bostwick

> >>I have to agree. *French toast on an artisan-style or sour dough bread
> >>is excellent. *The bread stales properly, it has structure and retains
> >>it and absorbs properly. *When cooked up, you get this beautiful, lacy
> >>golden brown network on the outside of the toast and a custardy
> >>inside. *Perfect. *That style bread also makes the best grilled cheese
> >>sandwiches because the outside browns up so wonderfully. *You just
> >>can't achieve the same finish with regular store-bought bread. *
> >>Janet US

> >But french toast and grilled cheese made with whole wheat bread is
> >TIAD... just as awful as a BLT made with whole wheat bread. blech
> >Some things simply don't work with whole wheat... no matter how much I
> >try to convince myself it's more healthful whole what pasta tastes
> >disgusting.

> I think you are agreeing with me. *I'm not in favor of whole wheat for
> those things, nor store bought bread.

I would never use Brownberry Natural Wheat for a turkey or roast beef
sandwich, but it's great for PBJ, and the French toast has a wheaty
character. I find white flour to be pretty tasteless, which isn't a
bad thing if the focus is on the adjuncts, and high gluten white flour
is less tasteless, especially the nice crusty breads, but even there
the flavor is mostly from the yeast and the browned surface. The only
point I agree with Sheldon on is the BLT. There, whole wheat
dominates overly, and detracts from the bacon and tomato.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 7:55*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in messagenews:ac0727hsvmaauhc1scm62cpu6ibse10hp1@4ax .com...

(MANY lines deleted!)
> I wouldn't like cream cheese and orange marmalade on PB&J either.

You quoted ALL those lines just to add your one liner?

Netiquette School for YOU

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:37:04 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Jul 17, 7:55*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in messagenews:ac0727hsvmaauhc1scm62cpu6ibse10hp1@4ax .com...

>(MANY lines deleted!)
>> I wouldn't like cream cheese and orange marmalade on PB&J either.

>You quoted ALL those lines just to add your one liner?
>
>Netiquette School for YOU

Typical Pervanus.

Spanish Rice vs. Mexican Rice Janet B General Cooking 13 14-02-2016 08:06 PM
Mexican Rice. Dimitri General Cooking 44 19-07-2009 08:18 AM
Mexican Rice Trinidad P. Hernandez General Cooking 3 20-09-2006 06:11 PM
Mexican Rice Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2005 09:17 PM
Sue.s Mexican Rice Sue Mundy Recipes (moderated) 0 07-12-2004 02:11 PM