Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spanish Rice vs. Mexican Rice

I was curious, so . . .

According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
Rice.

According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.

I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
traditional.

Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
recipe.
Marcella's Recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
>I was curious, so . . .
>
> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
> Rice.
>
> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>
> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
> Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
> although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
> traditional.
>
> Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
> recipe.
> Marcella's Recipe
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg
>
> Janet US

I agree on the meat part. When I make Mexican rice, there is no meat. When
I make Spanish, it is the meal, although there might be an additional
vegetable or salad on the side. I disagree on the pilaf part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:14:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I was curious, so . . .
>>
>> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
>> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
>> Rice.
>>
>> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
>> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>>
>> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
>> Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
>> although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
>> traditional.
>>
>> Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
>> recipe.
>> Marcella's Recipe
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg
>>
>> Janet US

>I agree on the meat part. When I make Mexican rice, there is no meat. When
>I make Spanish, it is the meal, although there might be an additional
>vegetable or salad on the side. I disagree on the pilaf part.

I've lost track. Julie, what, to you, is a pilaf, exactly? How would
you make one?

I haven't made rice pilaf in years, but when I did, I sauteed the rice
in oil or butter along with onions etc, added stock, then cooked it in
the oven.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:14:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I was curious, so . . .
>>
>> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
>> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
>> Rice.
>>
>> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
>> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>>
>> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
>> Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
>> although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
>> traditional.
>>
>> Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
>> recipe.
>> Marcella's Recipe
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg
>>
>> Janet US

>I agree on the meat part. When I make Mexican rice, there is no meat. When
>I make Spanish, it is the meal, although there might be an additional
>vegetable or salad on the side. I disagree on the pilaf part.

You're not listening.
Spanish rice and Mexican rice are the same thing. (BTW, the slash mark
-/-, is used in writing so the writer does not need to take a position
on a naming controversy) The rice dish is named either way depending
on where you live.
Pilaf is a cooking method where the rice is in hot fat of some sort
before the liquid is added.
You can call what you make anything you want but that doesn't change
what it really is. You are making a Mexican-themed hotdish.
Pilaf is not limited to a some rice, broth and onions.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:14:56 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:14:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I was curious, so . . .
>>>
>>> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
>>> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
>>> Rice.
>>>
>>> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
>>> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>>>
>>> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
>>> Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
>>> although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
>>> traditional.
>>>
>>> Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
>>> recipe.
>>> Marcella's Recipe
>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg
>>>
>>> Janet US

>>I agree on the meat part. When I make Mexican rice, there is no meat. When
>>I make Spanish, it is the meal, although there might be an additional
>>vegetable or salad on the side. I disagree on the pilaf part.

>You're not listening.
>Spanish rice and Mexican rice are the same thing. (BTW, the slash mark
>-/-, is used in writing so the writer does not need to take a position
>on a naming controversy) The rice dish is named either way depending
>on where you live.
>Pilaf is a cooking method where the rice is in hot fat of some sort
>before the liquid is added.
>You can call what you make anything you want but that doesn't change
>what it really is. You are making a Mexican-themed hotdish.
>Pilaf is not limited to a some rice, broth and onions.
>Janet US

"Spanish Rice" is really a Tex Mex dish, it's much more an American
dish than Mexican. I've traveled extensively throughout Mexico and
traveling maybe 30 miles south of the border I've never seen what
Americans call Spanish Rice... throughout Mexico similar rice dishes
typically contain beans and no tomato, usually seasoned with garlic
and onion... in Central America the same dish is prepared but it also
may contain bits of meat, usually pork but in Belize Gibnut is offered
and typically has an extra cost as it's considered a luxury. The dish
is not seasoned with hot pepper but may contain bell pepper or other
mild peppers... hot sauce and salsa is on the table but no ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:14:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I was curious, so . . .
>>>
>>> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
>>> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
>>> Rice.
>>>
>>> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
>>> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>>>
>>> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
>>> Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
>>> although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
>>> traditional.
>>>
>>> Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
>>> recipe.
>>> Marcella's Recipe
>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg
>>>
>>> Janet US

>>I agree on the meat part. When I make Mexican rice, there is no meat.
>>When
>>I make Spanish, it is the meal, although there might be an additional
>>vegetable or salad on the side. I disagree on the pilaf part.

> I've lost track. Julie, what, to you, is a pilaf, exactly? How would
> you make one?

I don't really know and AFAIK I've never made one. My mom made hers in the
oven with cream of something or other soup.

> I haven't made rice pilaf in years, but when I did, I sauteed the rice
> in oil or butter along with onions etc, added stock, then cooked it in
> the oven.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:14:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I was curious, so . . .
>>>
>>> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
>>> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
>>> Rice.
>>>
>>> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
>>> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>>>
>>> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.
>>> Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice recipes are all pretty much the same,
>>> although some indicate that the inclusion of small bits of carrot are
>>> traditional.
>>>
>>> Marcella Valladolid, a Mexican, (Food Network) offers her Mexican Rice
>>> recipe.
>>> Marcella's Recipe
>>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...no-recipe.html
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/j24zqwg
>>>
>>> Janet US

>>I agree on the meat part. When I make Mexican rice, there is no meat.
>>When
>>I make Spanish, it is the meal, although there might be an additional
>>vegetable or salad on the side. I disagree on the pilaf part.

> You're not listening.
> Spanish rice and Mexican rice are the same thing. (BTW, the slash mark
> -/-, is used in writing so the writer does not need to take a position
> on a naming controversy) The rice dish is named either way depending
> on where you live.
> Pilaf is a cooking method where the rice is in hot fat of some sort
> before the liquid is added.
> You can call what you make anything you want but that doesn't change
> what it really is. You are making a Mexican-themed hotdish.
> Pilaf is not limited to a some rice, broth and onions.
> Janet US

According to Wikipedia, it is *not* cooked in hot fat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaf

Hmmm... Dunno. Was looking up recipes and so far they say to brown the
rice. My mom never browned hers. But I also never liked hers. It was
nothing but a mushy mess. So I never sought out anything with the name
pilaf in it because I didn't think it would appeal. I do remember getting
some in a fancy restaurant and not liking it. They served it with a little
metal cup over it so when the cup was pulled off, it took the shape of the
cup. Just seemed like white rice to me but they had added something. Can't
remember now what it was. Maybe nuts. Didn't have much flavor.

But when I make Mexican or Spanish rice, there is no broth. Only tomato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 4:01:27 AM UTC+10, Janet B wrote:
> I was curious, so . . .
>
> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
> Rice.
>
> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>
> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.

Diana Kennedy lists meat (chopped chicken giblets) as an optional ingredient. She implies that the difference between Mexican rice and Spanish rice (presumably, as cooked in Spain) is tomatoes vs saffron. (Saffron instead of tomatoes is done in North Africa, with the dish being otherwise similar in ingredients and method.)

There are a whole bunch of very similar Caribbean and West African recipes. The African versions can be very similar to the Mexican, but many have seafood or meat (usually chicken).

Some Cuban recipes use both tomatoes and saffron.

I saw a Spanish recipe (Catalan?), "paella with vegetables", with very similar ingredients to Mexican rice (and with tomatoes, no saffron). The difference was in the method: instead of frying the rice, the liquid is added, and then the rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:12:18 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Spanish Rice" is really a Tex Mex dish,

Hello, Pussy Katz!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:24:39 -0800 (PST), Timo
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 4:01:27 AM UTC+10, Janet B wrote:
>> I was curious, so . . .
>>
>> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
>> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
>> Rice.
>>
>> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
>> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
>>
>> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.

>Diana Kennedy lists meat (chopped chicken giblets) as an optional ingredient. She implies that the difference between Mexican rice and Spanish rice (presumably, as cooked in Spain) is tomatoes vs saffron. (Saffron instead of tomatoes is done in North Africa, with the dish being otherwise similar in ingredients and method.)
>
>There are a whole bunch of very similar Caribbean and West African recipes. The African versions can be very similar to the Mexican, but many have seafood or meat (usually chicken).
>
>Some Cuban recipes use both tomatoes and saffron.
>
>I saw a Spanish recipe (Catalan?), "paella with vegetables", with very similar ingredients to Mexican rice (and with tomatoes, no saffron). The difference was in the method: instead of frying the rice, the liquid is added, and then the rice.

I've seen her recipe. I've always found it interesting that she soaks
the rice in hot water before toasting the rice in hot oil. You're
right, I've just checked again. She does mention giblets as optional.
I have a Mexican cookbook by several British authors. Their approach
to replicating Mexican dishes is distinctly different than those in
the U.S.
The directions that I have seen for making a paella still instruct to
coat the rice with the hot oil before adding the liquid. Vegetables
may be cooked in the oil before the rice ( onions, peppers etc.) in
order to be sure that they are fully cooked in the final dish. Mexican
rice is quite different than Paella. To me, the difference is like a
baked potato. Mexican rice is very plain, Paella is fully loaded.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 3:15:30 PM UTC+10, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:24:39 -0800 (PST), Timo wrote:
> >On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 4:01:27 AM UTC+10, Janet B wrote:
> >> I was curious, so . . .
> >>
> >> According the Wikipedia, Spanish Rice is unknown in Spain. In the US,
> >> the dish is referred to interchangeably as Mexican Rice or Spanish
> >> Rice.
> >>
> >> According to Martha Stewart, it is a 'pilaf-style' dish. Meaning that
> >> the rice is browned/coated in a hot fat before the liquid is added.
> >>
> >> I found no indications that Mexican Rice ever contains meat.

> >Diana Kennedy lists meat (chopped chicken giblets) as an optional ingredient.

[...]
> >I saw a Spanish recipe (Catalan?), "paella with vegetables", with very similar ingredients to Mexican rice (and with tomatoes, no saffron). The difference was in the method: instead of frying the rice, the liquid is added, and then the rice.

> I've seen her recipe. I've always found it interesting that she soaks
> the rice in hot water before toasting the rice in hot oil.

I've seen both soaking and using the rice dry in Indian, Iranian, and Central Asian pilaf recipes (don't remember Turkish and further west off-hand).

> The directions that I have seen for making a paella still instruct to
> coat the rice with the hot oil before adding the liquid. Vegetables
> may be cooked in the oil before the rice ( onions, peppers etc.) in
> order to be sure that they are fully cooked in the final dish. Mexican
> rice is quite different than Paella. To me, the difference is like a
> baked potato. Mexican rice is very plain, Paella is fully loaded.

That's why I though this paella recipe was unusual. (I've seen both fry the rice and add the liquid then rice for rice and beans.) Here's the recipe:

2 onions, 3 leeks (white parts), 4 tomatoes, 6 artichoke hearts, 3 red peppers, 1/2 head cauliflower, 3oz frozen peas, 2 pints chicken/vegetable stock, 4 cloves garlic, 2 sprigs parsley, 1lb rice.

Make a sofregit/sofrito of the onion, leek, tomato (i.e., fry them in oil). Add artichoke hearts and peppers, cauliflower, peas, 1/4 of the stock.
Simmer for 10 minutes, and add garlic and parsley, and the rest of the stock.
Add the rice, and cook without stirring until rice is cooked and liquid is evaporated.

Less chunky than many paellas, but still more in it than the usual Mexican rice.

Me, I look at Mexican rice and paella as two extreme ends of the pilaf family. When you can arrange pilafs with some even simpler than Mexican rice at one end, going through various pilafs getting more and more loaded, to full-on chicken and seafood paella at the other end, it highlights what the family has in common. Without the ones in the middle, linking the two ends, the ends lose that family resemblance, and only the difference is visible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:42:26 -0800 (PST), Timo
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 3:15:30 PM UTC+10, Janet B wrote:

>> >Diana Kennedy lists meat (chopped chicken giblets) as an optional ingredient.

>[...]
>> >I saw a Spanish recipe (Catalan?), "paella with vegetables", with very similar ingredients to Mexican rice (and with tomatoes, no saffron). The difference was in the method: instead of frying the rice, the liquid is added, and then the rice.

>> I've seen her recipe. I've always found it interesting that she soaks
>> the rice in hot water before toasting the rice in hot oil.

>I've seen both soaking and using the rice dry in Indian, Iranian, and Central Asian pilaf recipes (don't remember Turkish and further west off-hand).
>
>> The directions that I have seen for making a paella still instruct to
>> coat the rice with the hot oil before adding the liquid. Vegetables
>> may be cooked in the oil before the rice ( onions, peppers etc.) in
>> order to be sure that they are fully cooked in the final dish. Mexican
>> rice is quite different than Paella. To me, the difference is like a
>> baked potato. Mexican rice is very plain, Paella is fully loaded.

>That's why I though this paella recipe was unusual. (I've seen both fry the rice and add the liquid then rice for rice and beans.) Here's the recipe:
>
>2 onions, 3 leeks (white parts), 4 tomatoes, 6 artichoke hearts, 3 red peppers, 1/2 head cauliflower, 3oz frozen peas, 2 pints chicken/vegetable stock, 4 cloves garlic, 2 sprigs parsley, 1lb rice.
>
>Make a sofregit/sofrito of the onion, leek, tomato (i.e., fry them in oil). Add artichoke hearts and peppers, cauliflower, peas, 1/4 of the stock.
>Simmer for 10 minutes, and add garlic and parsley, and the rest of the stock.
>Add the rice, and cook without stirring until rice is cooked and liquid is evaporated.
>
>Less chunky than many paellas, but still more in it than the usual Mexican rice.
>
>Me, I look at Mexican rice and paella as two extreme ends of the pilaf family. When you can arrange pilafs with some even simpler than Mexican rice at one end, going through various pilafs getting more and more loaded, to full-on chicken and seafood paella at the other end, it highlights what the family has in common. Without the ones in the middle, linking the two ends, the ends lose that family resemblance, and only the difference is visible.

exactly.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2016-02-13 21:14:56 +0000, Janet B said:

> Spanish rice and Mexican rice are the same thing. (BTW, the slash mark
> -/-, is used in writing so the writer does not need to take a position
> on a naming controversy) The rice dish is named either way depending
> on where you live.

"Spanish rice, red rice or arroz rojo is a Mexican side dish made from
white rice, tomatoes, garlic, onions, and other ingredients". I think
in Spain they call their rice "rice".

I like adding a tablespoon of Goya Sofrito "tomato cooking base" to the
rice in our rice-maker. It has the tomatoes, garlic, onions and other
ingredients".

I live in one of the largest Mexican-American enclaves in the US. It
is not unusual--nor the norm--to get rice that includes, among other
light flavorings a few very small pieces of pork.

> Pilaf is a cooking method where the rice is in hot fat of some sort
> before the liquid is added.
> You can call what you make anything you want but that doesn't change
> what it really is. You are making a Mexican-themed hotdish.
> Pilaf is not limited to a some rice, broth and onions.

Certainly not, when making pilaf at home it frequently works as like a
"left-overs" portal, particularly for vegetables steamed or grilled
earlier in the week. We almost always have it on falafal night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:10:31 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 05:46:24 -0700, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:42:26 -0800 (PST), Timo
>> > wrote:

>> >[...]
>> >
>> >I've seen both soaking and using the rice dry in Indian, Iranian, and Central Asian pilaf recipes (don't remember Turkish and further west off-hand).

>> >That's why I though this paella recipe was unusual. (I've seen both fry the rice and add the liquid then rice for rice and beans.) Here's the recipe:
>> >
>> >2 onions, 3 leeks (white parts), 4 tomatoes, 6 artichoke hearts, 3 red peppers, 1/2 head cauliflower, 3oz frozen peas, 2 pints chicken/vegetable stock, 4 cloves garlic, 2 sprigs parsley, 1lb rice.
>> >
>> >Make a sofregit/sofrito of the onion, leek, tomato (i.e., fry them in oil). Add artichoke hearts and peppers, cauliflower, peas, 1/4 of the stock.
>> >Simmer for 10 minutes, and add garlic and parsley, and the rest of the stock.
>> >Add the rice, and cook without stirring until rice is cooked and liquid is evaporated.
>> >
>> >Less chunky than many paellas, but still more in it than the usual Mexican rice.
>> >
>> >Me, I look at Mexican rice and paella as two extreme ends of the pilaf family. When you can arrange pilafs with some even simpler than Mexican rice at one end, going through various pilafs getting more and more loaded, to full-on chicken and seafood paella at the other end, it highlights what the family has in common. Without the ones in the middle, linking the two ends, the ends lose that family resemblance, and only the difference is visible.

>> exactly.
>> Janet US

>I think of Mexican rice as some concocted version from the '50s that
>had canned tomatoes and hamburger in it. The restaurant Mexican rice
>I've always liked is yellow and has nothing in it. It's just a side.

yes, that restaurant version is Mexican rice.
Janet US