Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default disturbing ice cream labelling

Carton of vanilla ice cream labelled as both
"Original Recipe" and "New Flavor".

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/turke...al-recipe.html

I'd be more concerned it would taste like turkey.
Or mashed-potatoes-and-gravy. Either of those is
fine in their "Original Recipe", but not as a
"New Flavor" for ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Carton of vanilla ice cream labelled as both
> "Original Recipe" and "New Flavor".
>
> http://consumerist.com/2011/07/turke...al-recipe.html
>
> I'd be more concerned it would taste like turkey.
> Or mashed-potatoes-and-gravy. Either of those is
> fine in their "Original Recipe", but not as a
> "New Flavor" for ice cream.

Just curious. Do you like that brand of ice cream? My MIL used to buy it
because it was cheap but my husband wouldn't eat it. Said it was horrible.
I never tried it as I don't like ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 4:55*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > Just curious. *Do you like that brand of ice cream? *My MIL used to buy it
> > because it was cheap but my husband wouldn't eat it. *Said it was horrible.
> > I never tried it as I don't like ice cream.

> I've never seen it, except in that article.
> I've eaten lots of crummy ice cream, though.
> My parents were always very cheap about food.
> In Michigan, the cheap stuff is called "ice milk".

As far as I know, Turkey hill ice cream is pretty good. The labeling
doesn't surprise me. Products are routinely and blatantly
misrepresented. CBS has a morning show called "Live with Regis and
Kelly" that shows excerpt clips as come-ons the night before the show
airs.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:55:20 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> In Michigan, the cheap stuff is called "ice milk".

At least you knew what you were getting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 3:55*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > > Carton of vanilla ice cream labelled as both
> > > "Original Recipe" and "New Flavor".

> > >http://consumerist.com/2011/07/turke...-somehow-both-....

> > > I'd be more concerned it would taste like turkey.
> > > Or mashed-potatoes-and-gravy. *Either of those is
> > > fine in their "Original Recipe", but not as a
> > > "New Flavor" for ice cream.

> > Just curious. *Do you like that brand of ice cream? *My MIL used to buy it
> > because it was cheap but my husband wouldn't eat it. *Said it was horrible.
> > I never tried it as I don't like ice cream.

> I've never seen it, except in that article.
> I've eaten lots of crummy ice cream, though.
> My parents were always very cheap about food.
> In Michigan, the cheap stuff is called "ice milk".

Ice milk is now called low-fat ice cream.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > Carton of vanilla ice cream labelled as both
> > "Original Recipe" and "New Flavor".
> >
> > http://consumerist.com/2011/07/turke...al-recipe.html
> >
> > I'd be more concerned it would taste like turkey.
> > Or mashed-potatoes-and-gravy. Either of those is
> > fine in their "Original Recipe", but not as a
> > "New Flavor" for ice cream.

> Just curious. Do you like that brand of ice cream? My MIL used to buy it
> because it was cheap but my husband wouldn't eat it. Said it was horrible.
> I never tried it as I don't like ice cream.

I've never seen it, except in that article.
I've eaten lots of crummy ice cream, though.
My parents were always very cheap about food.
In Michigan, the cheap stuff is called "ice milk".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> Ice milk is now called low-fat ice cream.

Aha! So that's where the ice milk went.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>> Carton of vanilla ice cream labelled as both
>>> "Original Recipe" and "New Flavor".
>>>
>>> http://consumerist.com/2011/07/turke...al-recipe.html
>>>
>>> I'd be more concerned it would taste like turkey.
>>> Or mashed-potatoes-and-gravy. Either of those is
>>> fine in their "Original Recipe", but not as a
>>> "New Flavor" for ice cream.

>> Just curious. Do you like that brand of ice cream? My MIL used to
>> buy it because it was cheap but my husband wouldn't eat it. Said it
>> was horrible. I never tried it as I don't like ice cream.

> I've never seen it, except in that article.
> I've eaten lots of crummy ice cream, though.
> My parents were always very cheap about food.
> In Michigan, the cheap stuff is called "ice milk".

Bleh. I remember that horrid ice milk. We always had it when my parents
were on a diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 9:12*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Just curious. *Do you like that brand of ice cream? *My MIL used to
> >> buy it because it was cheap but my husband wouldn't eat it. *Said it
> >> was horrible. I never tried it as I don't like ice cream.

> > I've never seen it, except in that article.
> > I've eaten lots of crummy ice cream, though.
> > My parents were always very cheap about food.
> > In Michigan, the cheap stuff is called "ice milk".

> Bleh. *I remember that horrid ice milk. *We always had it when my parents
> were on a diet.

My father ate ice milk. We also had margarine instead of butter.
Come to find out, the margarine was FAR worse. When I was little, I
had baked potatoes and toast dry because I hated the "butter," which
wasn't butter at all. At restaurants, I'd go ape shit on the butter
and steaks cooked as rare as the old man would let me order them. He
drank skim milk (now called fat-free), and the rest of us got 2%, but
at school they had whole milk. I always bought extra milks at lunch.
It was 2 cents a half pint when I was in 2nd grade.

--Bryan

Wine labelling graham Wine 3 02-03-2013 08:35 PM
Origin labelling James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 2 31-10-2008 01:50 PM
Food labelling law James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 19 02-10-2008 05:44 PM
Australian [and internationl too I guess] labelling regulations [85%] Mat Wine 14 12-03-2005 03:19 PM
New labelling rules in Canada Michel Boucher General Cooking 34 04-10-2004 02:49 AM