Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More downsizing

I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
use-by dates.)

Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-16, gloria.p > wrote:

> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> use-by dates.)
>
> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.

The worst I've seen, recently, is Kraft American Cheese slices. The
regular AC is ok, but when you buy the "cheddar" AC, the slices are
quite thin. Pkg weight reflects the loss, at 12oz instead of the
previous 16oz. This for $4+ when not on sale! Not worth it even at
sale prices.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/16/2011 6:33 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> use-by dates.)
>
> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.

And how! I'm truly amazed how much prices have increased within a short
period of time, or so it seems. Next time I see bacon on sale for
$3.29/lb or less, I plan to stock up and freeze a few pounds! Today's
'sale' price was $3.99/lb!!! Just a few months ago, I bought a few
pounds for $2.69/lb on sale. Many bacon producers now pack 12-ounces
instead of 16-ounces and still charge the pound price!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2011 7:33 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> use-by dates.)
>
> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>
> gloria p

Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> use-by dates.)
>
> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>
> gloria p

I agree 100% it's getting absurd.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:33:07 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.

and more expensive!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:44:50 -0400, George >
wrote:

> Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...

You take what you can get. No point in spending $10 on gas just to
save a buck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote:
> "gloria.p" > wrote in message ...
>>

>> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
>> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
>> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
>> use-by dates.)
>>
>> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>>
>> gloria p

> I agree 100% it's getting absurd.
>
> Dimitri

I went shopping today and the meat prices are high. However, those package
sausages from Hillshire, Echridge, johnsonville are awful and full of salt.
I prefer the sausages that are made fresh from the butcher shops, they seem
to have more meat flavor than that strong salty taste.

Bacon, hamburger and other processed meats are going through the roof. The
deli counter... The cost of roast beef and Swiss cheese prices may force to
me to eat healthier. However, the low grade process American cheese is
still cheap, but how much milk is really in those products.

The prices of produce are like wow, red sweet peppers going for $2.50 each,
corn... Two ears for a dollar :0

The good news, I had my first salad today from my own garden. Mostly
Romain, ButterCrunch and spinach lettuces. Salivating and looking towards
the fall harvest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nad R > wrote:

> The good news, I had my first salad today from my own garden. Mostly
> Romain, ButterCrunch and spinach lettuces.

I'll bite. What is spinach lettuce?
--
Barb,
Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/16/2011 8:50 PM, Nad R wrote:

> The prices of produce are like wow, red sweet peppers going for $2.50 each,
> corn... Two ears for a dollar :0

Freshly picked sweet corn in my neck of the woods at the local farmers'
markets have been 2-ears/$1 for many years now. I haven't a clue what
this year's price is, yet. I definitely hope the price isn't higher
this year, although I suppose it shouldn't surprise me if indeed that
turns out to be the case :/ However, the Aldi sales circular included
with yesterday's local newspaper listed a 4-ear package of sweet corn
for $1!

Sky, who definitely likes the local Aldi!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> Nad R > wrote:
>
>> The good news, I had my first salad today from my own garden. Mostly
>> Romain, ButterCrunch and spinach lettuces.

> I'll bite. What is spinach lettuce?

It is the auto spell spell checker with the wrong word substitution that
bites me often!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Nad R > wrote:
> >
> >> The good news, I had my first salad today from my own garden.

> Mostly >> Romain, ButterCrunch and spinach lettuces.
> >
> > I'll bite. What is spinach lettuce?

> It is the auto spell spell checker with the wrong word substitution
> that bites me often!

One of the first things I do in any program: turn off autospell!

--
Dan Goodman
dsgood at lj, dw, ij, tw__ , Diaspora fb: see above
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 10:00*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 6/16/2011 8:50 PM, Nad R wrote:
>

> > The prices of produce are like wow, red sweet peppers going for $2.50 each,
> > corn... Two ears for a dollar :0

> Freshly picked sweet corn in my neck of the woods at the local farmers'
> markets have been 2-ears/$1 for many years now. *I haven't a clue what
> this year's price is, yet. *I definitely hope the price isn't higher
> this year, although I suppose it shouldn't surprise me if indeed that
> turns out to be the case :/ *However, the Aldi sales circular included
> with yesterday's local newspaper listed a 4-ear package of sweet corn
> for $1!

It was 69 cents at an albertson's last Sunday. At Safeway, they are 2
for $1, which is pretty normal around here. I think it was at 6 for $1
for memorial day. But they were pretty small then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2011 9:35 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:44:50 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...

> You take what you can get. No point in spending $10 on gas just to
> save a buck.

It has nothing to do with saving a buck. I am not going to buy something
that I or everyone I know dislikes. If I couldn't get anything else I
simply wouldn't bother with Hillshire. I just don't care for the (lack
of) quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2011 6:33 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> use-by dates.)
>
> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>
> gloria p

I have been buying ground bison at the local Kroger. It was $5.99 a
pound two months ago. Last week it had gone to $7.99 a lb, yesterday it
was $9.99 a lb. Credit that to oil prices, ie. gas and diesel prices,
and to a faltering economy. I can buy Angus ground beef, 93/7 fat
content for $5.47, go figure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nad R > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Nad R > wrote:
> >
> >> The good news, I had my first salad today from my own garden. Mostly
> >> Romain, ButterCrunch and spinach lettuces.

> > I'll bite. What is spinach lettuce?

> It is the auto spell spell checker with the wrong word substitution that
> bites me often!

LOL! Honest to Alex, I didn't know but it was yet another leafy green
I'm unfamiliar with. I like all three of your greens.
--
Barb,
Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 7:33*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. *Of course
> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> use-by dates.)
>
> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>
> gloria p

Ho - hum. And yet ANOTHER downsizing rant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 16, 4:33*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:

My advice is still .....go to a restaurant supply place like Cash and
Carry to shop.
Their meat is sold in the large cryovac packs, but you can portion it
out yourself and save a bunch.

It's worth a good hard look at the whole store, there are lots of
things that are so much cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 6/16/2011 7:33 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>

>> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
>> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
>> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
>> use-by dates.)
>>
>> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>>
>> gloria p

> Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...

If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making ground
beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a package at the
meat market.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:10:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Nad R > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>> > I'll bite. What is spinach lettuce?

>> It is the auto spell spell checker with the wrong word substitution that
>> bites me often!

>LOL! Honest to Alex, I didn't know but it was yet another leafy green
>I'm unfamiliar with. I like all three of your greens.

What's buttercrunch, a candy bar... I know butterhead, definitely not
crunchy. And I guess one can call those bags of baby spinach leaves
spinach lettuce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

not sure if i posted it here or not, was tired when last posting, I was
thrilled dh got lambchops for $6.99 from costco the other day. they had
just reduced the every day price four dollars when he was looking at the
lamb, Lee
"Nad R" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
>>> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
>>> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
>>> use-by dates.)
>>>
>>> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I agree 100% it's getting absurd.
>>
>> Dimitri

> I went shopping today and the meat prices are high. However, those package
> sausages from Hillshire, Echridge, johnsonville are awful and full of
> salt.
> I prefer the sausages that are made fresh from the butcher shops, they
> seem
> to have more meat flavor than that strong salty taste.
>
> Bacon, hamburger and other processed meats are going through the roof. The
> deli counter... The cost of roast beef and Swiss cheese prices may force
> me to eat healthier. However, the low grade process American cheese is
> still cheap, but how much milk is really in those products.
>
> The prices of produce are like wow, red sweet peppers going for $2.50
> each,
> corn... Two ears for a dollar :0
>
> The good news, I had my first salad today from my own garden. Mostly
> Romain, ButterCrunch and spinach lettuces. Salivating and looking towards
> the fall harvest.
>
> --
> Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:01:19 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 6/16/2011 9:35 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:44:50 -0400, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...

> > You take what you can get. No point in spending $10 on gas just to
> > save a buck.
> >

> It has nothing to do with saving a buck. I am not going to buy something
> that I or everyone I know dislikes. If I couldn't get anything else I
> simply wouldn't bother with Hillshire. I just don't care for the (lack
> of) quality.

Maybe she has a choice between Hillshire and nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
(snipped stuff)

> >> It is the auto spell spell checker with the wrong word substitution that
> >> bites me often!

> >LOL! Honest to Alex, I didn't know but it was yet another leafy green
> >I'm unfamiliar with. I like all three of your greens.

> What's buttercrunch

A variety of lettuce.

--
Barb,
Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:01:21 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
> smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making ground
> beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a package at the
> meat market.

I know. That's pretty much the case everywhere. I'm not going to
order kielbasa and andouille by mail just to satisfy some snob on rfc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Jun 2011 06:53:19 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:

> One of the first things I do in any program: turn off autospell!

That's because you're a good speller to begin with. I'd rather take a
stab at it and let spell check do the real work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:16:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 7:33*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> > I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
> > had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. *Of course
> > the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
> > use-by dates.)
> >
> > Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
> >
> > gloria p

> Ho - hum. And yet ANOTHER downsizing rant.

That was pretty mild for a rant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:59:15 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> not sure if i posted it here or not, was tired when last posting, I was
> thrilled dh got lambchops for $6.99 from costco the other day. they had
> just reduced the every day price four dollars when he was looking at the
> lamb, Lee

Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I think
Americans would eat more lamb if it wasn't so goll durned expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:44:48 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:01:21 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
>> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
>> smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making ground
>> beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a package at the
>> meat market.

>I know. That's pretty much the case everywhere. I'm not going to
>order kielbasa and andouille by mail just to satisfy some snob on rfc.

True... making smoked sausage is a committment in labor, time, and
equipment, and one really needs to know what they're doing and be
willing to tend to it diligently... and then what to do with it all...
hardly pays to make a small amount and freezing good homemade kielbasa
is criminal. But it's pretty easy to grind ones own burger beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:23:54 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:10:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>> LOL! Honest to Alex, I didn't know but it was yet another leafy green
>>> I'm unfamiliar with. I like all three of your greens.

>> What's buttercrunch, a candy bar... I know butterhead, definitely not
>> crunchy. And I guess one can call those bags of baby spinach leaves
>> spinach lettuce.

>http://www.bonnieplants.com/tabid/42...2/Default.aspx

I've seen plenty of Bibb lettuce but I've never seen it called
buttercrunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:46:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On 17 Jun 2011 06:53:19 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
>
>> One of the first things I do in any program: turn off autospell!

>That's because you're a good speller to begin with. I'd rather take a
>stab at it and let spell check do the real work.

That's so vile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:49:35 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> I've seen plenty of Bibb lettuce but I've never seen it called
> buttercrunch.

When I was a kid, we lived near farmers who raised Bibb lettuce.
There was no such thing as Bibb out here; identical looking lettuce
was called "butter" in the grocery store, not butterhead or
buttercrunch (maybe those are seed names) - just plain butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "George" > wrote in message
>> On 6/16/2011 7:33 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>

>>> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
>>> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
>>> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
>>> use-by dates.)
>>>
>>> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...
>>

> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course
> you smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage.
> Making ground beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just
> buying a package at the meat market.
>
> Jill

What do you know about work?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2011 1:38 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:01:19 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/16/2011 9:35 PM, sf wrote:

>>> You take what you can get. No point in spending $10 on gas just to
>>> save a buck.
>>>

>> It has nothing to do with saving a buck. I am not going to buy something
>> that I or everyone I know dislikes. If I couldn't get anything else I
>> simply wouldn't bother with Hillshire. I just don't care for the (lack
>> of) quality.

> Maybe she has a choice between Hillshire and nothing.

Honestly with those choices I would go for the nothing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2011 11:01 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "George" > wrote in message
>> On 6/16/2011 7:33 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>

>>> I just noticed in the store today that Hillshire Farms
>>> had mixed sizes in the cooler, 16 and 14 oz. Of course
>>> the smaller packages were the newest (had the longest
>>> use-by dates.)
>>>
>>> Grocery shopping is getting more depressing by the day.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Hillshire meat like products are depressing to begin with...
>>

> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
> smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making
> ground beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a
> package at the meat market.
>
> Jill

I don't. Tried it on multiple occasions and don't care for it and I am
quite open minded about food and likely have eaten everything that can
be put on stick or purchased from a food stall but I just can't get past
the taste of Hilshire.

We used to make it but it is a lot of work just to make a small quantity.

Fortunately we have some local shops that make it and a larger company
that makes a decent version. None are expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
> smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making
> ground beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a
> package at the meat market.

Translation: "I'm extremely lazy. I have lots of spare time, but I just
don't feel like expending any effort to make sausage or even to grind meat.
I'd rather squander my money than lift a finger."

You must have lots of disposable income.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
>> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
>> smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making
>> ground beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a
>> package at the meat market.

> I know. That's pretty much the case everywhere. I'm not going to
> order kielbasa and andouille by mail just to satisfy some snob on rfc.

Make your own. You can assure yourself of quality ingredients that way.
You're retired, right?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:26:01 -0400, George >
wrote:

> Honestly with those choices I would go for the nothing.

That's *your* choice and she's not trying to tell you to do something
else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:15:51 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> If you don't like [Hillshire], don't buy it. Some places for smoked
> >> sausage, kielbasa, etc. we don't have any choice. Unless of course you
> >> smoke your own. I still haven't tried making smoked sausage. Making
> >> ground beef from chuck roast... sorry, more work than just buying a
> >> package at the meat market.

> > I know. That's pretty much the case everywhere. I'm not going to
> > order kielbasa and andouille by mail just to satisfy some snob on rfc.

> Make your own. You can assure yourself of quality ingredients that way.
> You're retired, right?

I don't want to make my own. That kind of sausage making and style of
cooking has never been on my must do list. I'm content to eat the
fruits of somebody else's labors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:32:07 -0400, George >
wrote:

> Tried it on multiple occasions and don't care for it and I am
> quite open minded about food and likely have eaten everything that can
> be put on stick or purchased from a food stall but I just can't get past
> the taste of Hilshire.

Hillshire has definitely cheapened over the years. I remember when it
was a good (firm) smoked sausage. I don't eat that stuff more than a
couple of times a year, so I take what I can find easily and STFU
about the quality. What I *will* complain about is the state of
andouille. Before he went national, Bruce Aidells had a good product.
Now it's just as mushy as kielbasa and the sausage that should make
you stand up and salute is spiceless to the point of being tasteless -
just to please middle American palates.