Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marie Callendar's sudden restaurant closures

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.
>
> I think I only went there once, decades ago. Normally
> I wouldn't comment on a non-event like a restaurant or
> even a whole chain closing, but it was the lead item on
> the local news. Employees were interviewed expressing
> shock at the lack of warning.

That sucks. Suddenly a lot of people without jobs. Since they are in
Chapter 11, probably no severance at all.

> Reminds me of the way they did it at an electronics company
> where a friend of mine worked. A manager pulled the fire
> alarm, and after everybody was outside the now ex-employees
> could only go back to their desks to collect their personal
> stuff with a security guard escort.

Whoever came up with that idea should be tossed onto the streets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 8:20*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> taking even long-time employees by surprise. *The company
> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

My club picked them for dinner meetings because they were reasonably
priced, had a variety of dishes, and separate eating areas if not
quite banquet rooms -- and of course, pie!

But the one we ate at three years ago closed the next year, and the
one we ate at two years ago became a Denny's. So anyone who didn't
know they were on the decline wasn't paying attention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.
>
> I think I only went there once, decades ago. Normally
> I wouldn't comment on a non-event like a restaurant or
> even a whole chain closing, but it was the lead item on
> the local news. Employees were interviewed expressing
> shock at the lack of warning.

That sucks. Suddenly a lot of people without jobs. Since they are in
Chapter 11, probably no severance at all.

> Reminds me of the way they did it at an electronics company
> where a friend of mine worked. A manager pulled the fire
> alarm, and after everybody was outside the now ex-employees
> could only go back to their desks to collect their personal
> stuff with a security guard escort.

Whoever came up with that idea should be tossed onto the streets.

- - - - - - - - - - -

That's disgusting. There was a situation here where the employees showed up
for work, only to be told that the restaurant was closing. Managers of
these businesses obviously know it's coming. I think they are getting all
the work they possibly can out of their employees without giving them any
warning so they can even look for other employment--and no severance pay, of
course. These people (owners) often walk away with their homes and other
property intact, but their employees are left with nothing.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.
>
> I think I only went there once, decades ago. Normally
> I wouldn't comment on a non-event like a restaurant or
> even a whole chain closing, but it was the lead item on
> the local news. Employees were interviewed expressing
> shock at the lack of warning.
>
> Reminds me of the way they did it at an electronics company
> where a friend of mine worked. A manager pulled the fire
> alarm, and after everybody was outside the now ex-employees
> could only go back to their desks to collect their personal
> stuff with a security guard escort.

Wow! I haven't eaten there in years. I went once to the one by Northgate
in Seattle and had a tuna melt. My dad would get greatly annoyed at me when
I did this, saying this was something I could easily make at home. Well no
it wasn't. I tried. Mine were never good. Oddly he could make one that
was good even though he doesn't know how to cook much of anything. The
sandwich was so huge and drippy and messy that it took me 2 hours to eat it.
I was then banned from ever ordering another tuna melt when my dad was
present. Heh.

When we moved to CA, we would stop there on the way home from shopping at
Travis AFB. I should add that restaurant would never be my first choice.
It just happened to be in the right location.

I once asked for a side of veggies for my daughter and I was told by the
waitress that they didn't do that. I protested because there was nothing on
the kid's menu that had veggies with it unless you count the fries. She
said she would have to charge me for a salad bar and would have to take a
little dish of corn or something from the salad bar in order to give her
some veggies. I think the price at the time was $8.99. They did not offer
an add on salad bar for kids at a reduced price like they did for adults.
My daughter didn't eat much salad in those days. She was very young. She
would only eat certain types of greens and they didn't have those. She did
love black olives and there were a few other things she would eat a bite or
two of. So I would have to sneak her food from my plate.

I usually got the turkey dinner when we ate there. I could not eat the
stuffing. I don't know what they put in it but it was overly sweet and
spiked my blood sugar badly. Their cornbread was weird too and I wouldn't
eat that either. I would always get a tiny apple on my plate and that was
my daughter's favorite thing. I would always give it to her.

I heard on the news today that Wendy's just sold the Arby's chain and that
they were failing.

I think overall, people are just dining out less. I don't think they can
afford it. I know we are dining out less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 13, 10:24*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> When we moved to CA, we would stop there on the way home from shopping at
> Travis AFB. *I should add that restaurant would never be my first choice.
> It just happened to be in the right location.

Does this sound familiar? The one in Fairfield closed a couple of
years ago. It was next to a brewpub, in the parking lot of a mall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:20:20 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

I've never seen what other people seem to see in Marie Callendar's; so
I'm surprised that didn't happen 20 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jun 13, 10:24 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> When we moved to CA, we would stop there on the way home from
>> shopping at Travis AFB. I should add that restaurant would never be
>> my first choice. It just happened to be in the right location.
>>

> Does this sound familiar? The one in Fairfield closed a couple of
> years ago. It was next to a brewpub, in the parking lot of a mall.

Yep! I believe they were in the process of remodeling or perhaps had just
finished it when we moved away.

We didn't eat there too often. Travis was a good 2 hour drive from us when
the traffic was good! And it took a good 2 hours, including waiting in a
long line to check out for groceries. That meant packing a big cooler with
blue ice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:33:40 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 8:20*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> > taking even long-time employees by surprise. *The company
> > is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.
> >

> My club picked them for dinner meetings because they were reasonably
> priced, had a variety of dishes, and separate eating areas if not
> quite banquet rooms -- and of course, pie!
>
> But the one we ate at three years ago closed the next year, and the
> one we ate at two years ago became a Denny's. So anyone who didn't
> know they were on the decline wasn't paying attention.

It still sucks for the people who stayed to the bitter end.

My son was in a little better situation the last go around 10-ish
years ago. Long story short: His company moved his department to
another state; but he stayed in town to close down the office and was
able to draw unemployment after that. About a year later, he heard
that his old company was hiring so he interviewed for a new position
at a better salary and got a healthy bonus for being rehired. At
least his had a happy ending... I'm not hearing happy endings these
days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
>> taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
>> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

> Mark,
>
> There was a Callendars on Wilshire Blvd next to the La Brea Tar Pits, Los
> Angeles. The food was always good. It was spacious, with high ceilings
> and tastefully decorated, easily making it one of the nicest places to
> eat in the area, and only two blocks from my house.
>
> I called them up yesterday and they were open for business, for now.
>
> We always enjoyed the free "bottomless" baskets of blue corn tortillas
> and salsa to munch while waiting for the meal to arrive.
>
> I'm in agreement with the other members about the abrupt unannounced
> closings. Talk about a slap in the face to so many employees!!!
>
> Even if there was a Callendars my area, I would no longer eat there,
> purely on principle.
>
> I wonder if this also means the end of their line of frozen foods, some
> which were very good. I won't be buying them anymore either.

I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins which
is also closing. AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area. But we sure
ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. And they were one of the
few places we could go to eat on Staten Island that wasn't Italian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 1:26*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:20:20 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> > Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> > taking even long-time employees by surprise. *The company
> > is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

> I've never seen what other people seem to see in Marie Callendar's; so
> I'm surprised that didn't happen 20 years ago. *

I agree completely. They are one of the very worst of the chains,
just a bit above O' Charley's, which is the worst I know of. I hope
their frozen food items cease to exist as well.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 3:24*am, Andy > wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> > taking even long-time employees by surprise. *The company
> > is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

> Mark,
>
> There was a Callendars on Wilshire Blvd next to the La Brea Tar Pits, Los
> Angeles. The food was always good.
>
> I wonder if this also means the end of their line of frozen foods,

But you've always had remarkably shitty taste in food.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins
>> which is also closing. AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area.
>> But we sure ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. And they
>> were one of the few places we could go to eat on Staten Island that
>> wasn't Italian.

> Julie,
>
> A Perkins in Florida was where I first had biscuits and sausage gravy.
> Great stuff! We'd go there for the Sunday all-you-can-eat breakfast
> buffet and I'd eat nothing else. Easily the best/worst dish ever created,
> imho! :9
>
> There was a Perkins a few towns away from home that I tried but they only
> served a milk (no sausage) gravy. Whether it's still open is of no
> importance to me simply for them dumbing down the gravy!

Hmmm.. I didn't know they served that. I used to get it sometimes at work
and would make it at home. Then there was the Schwans stuff that they used
to make. All good. Got it at some truck stop once during a cross country
move and it was sooo spicy I couldn't eat it. Had red powder in it of some
sort. More recently tried some at Shari's, a local chain. Not good at all.
After I got it my mom said she had tried it and it wasn't good. If there
was any sausage in there you could have fooled me! No flavor at all. It
was just gooey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins
> which is also closing. AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area.
> But we sure ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. And
> they were one of the few places we could go to eat on Staten Island
> that wasn't Italian.

I heard they are closing 50 Perkins. They are pretty common where I
live and they are always hopping. The thing about Perkins like a lot
of chains is that some of them are better than others, and I will not be
happy if the one I visit goes out of business. I really enjoy their
omelettes.

Of course, I'm sure the owner of that location could just say This is
our new name and go on, business as usual, without those franchise
fees he has to pay.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:26:23 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:20:20 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>wrote:
>
>> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
>> taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
>> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

>I've never seen what other people seem to see in Marie Callendar's; so
>I'm surprised that didn't happen 20 years ago.

I've always liked their frozen pot pies-- and didn't realize until
this morning that there was an accompanying chain of restaurants.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> > taking even long-time employees by surprise. The company
> > is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.
> >
> > I think I only went there once, decades ago. Normally
> > I wouldn't comment on a non-event like a restaurant or
> > even a whole chain closing, but it was the lead item on
> > the local news. Employees were interviewed expressing
> > shock at the lack of warning.
> >
> > Reminds me of the way they did it at an electronics company
> > where a friend of mine worked. A manager pulled the fire
> > alarm, and after everybody was outside the now ex-employees
> > could only go back to their desks to collect their personal
> > stuff with a security guard escort.

> Wow! I haven't eaten there in years. I went once to the one by Northgate
> in Seattle and had a tuna melt. My dad would get greatly annoyed at me when
> I did this, saying this was something I could easily make at home. Well no
> it wasn't. I tried. Mine were never good. Oddly he could make one that
> was good even though he doesn't know how to cook much of anything. The
> sandwich was so huge and drippy and messy that it took me 2 hours to eat it.
> I was then banned from ever ordering another tuna melt when my dad was
> present. Heh.
>
> When we moved to CA, we would stop there on the way home from shopping at
> Travis AFB. I should add that restaurant would never be my first choice.
> It just happened to be in the right location.
>
> I once asked for a side of veggies for my daughter and I was told by the
> waitress that they didn't do that. I protested because there was nothing on
> the kid's menu that had veggies with it unless you count the fries. She
> said she would have to charge me for a salad bar and would have to take a
> little dish of corn or something from the salad bar in order to give her
> some veggies. I think the price at the time was $8.99. They did not offer
> an add on salad bar for kids at a reduced price like they did for adults.
> My daughter didn't eat much salad in those days. She was very young. She
> would only eat certain types of greens and they didn't have those. She did
> love black olives and there were a few other things she would eat a bite or
> two of. So I would have to sneak her food from my plate.
>
> I usually got the turkey dinner when we ate there. I could not eat the
> stuffing. I don't know what they put in it but it was overly sweet and
> spiked my blood sugar badly. Their cornbread was weird too and I wouldn't
> eat that either. I would always get a tiny apple on my plate and that was
> my daughter's favorite thing. I would always give it to her.
>
> I heard on the news today that Wendy's just sold the Arby's chain and that
> they were failing.

I can see Arbys failing. In a three block radius here there are Burger
King, Dennys, Arbys, two Mcdonalds, KFC, Friendlys, Wendys, Figaro
(local), Pizza 123 (local), Quiznos, some Chinese fast food place in the
mall, Olive Garden, Hazard Grill (local), D'Angelo, Taco Bell, Dunkin
Donuts, Cheng's Garden (local), Five Guys, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a
half a dozen others. Of those as you drive past at noon, Arbys is the
only one with an empty parking lot.

> I think overall, people are just dining out less. I don't think they can
> afford it. I know we are dining out less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 4:17*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins
> > which is also closing. *AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area.
> > But we sure ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. *And
> > they were one of the few places we could go to eat on Staten Island
> > that wasn't Italian.

> I heard they are closing 50 Perkins. *They are pretty common where I
> live and they are always hopping. *The thing about Perkins like a lot
> of chains is that some of them are better than others, and I will not be
> happy if the one I visit goes out of business. *I really enjoy their
> omelettes.
>
> Of course, I'm sure the owner of that location could just say This is
> our new name and go on, business as usual, without those franchise
> fees he has to pay. *

Frequently the food for coffee shop chains comes from central
commissaries. Not short orders like eggs of course.

But memory fails me and Google is no help. Wasn't Perkins called
"Perkins Cake and Steak," or something like that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jun 14, 4:17 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> live and they are always hopping. The thing about Perkins like a lot
>> of chains is that some of them are better than others, and I will
>> not be happy if the one I visit goes out of business. I really enjoy
>> their omelettes.
>>
>> Of course, I'm sure the owner of that location could just say This is
>> our new name and go on, business as usual, without those franchise
>> fees he has to pay.

> Frequently the food for coffee shop chains comes from central
> commissaries. Not short orders like eggs of course.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it might be more complicated than
just taking down the name, and it's not the kind of place where I'd
order lunch or dinner so I don't know what else they have. This place,
the owner is Greek, I'm pretty sure he knows where to find some cooks
who can turn out the kind of food they offer.

Me, I'm happy with my garden mix and bacon omelet, whatever they
do just give me that and my cranberry nut muffin to go and we'll get
along just fine. Heh. Not that I'm a creature of habit or anything. Much.

> But memory fails me and Google is no help. Wasn't Perkins called
> "Perkins Cake and Steak," or something like that?

Googling around, that looks right. To me it was always just Perkins.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
<snip>

> We've run off Burger King, Little Caesars, Boston Market, Taco Bell,
> Cold Stone Creamery and Subway. Except for the daily deluge of jurors
> from all over the county to the county courthouse, us locals are
> very staunch supporters of the locally owned businesses.

Good for you! (Although I must say I loved Boston Market's chicken salad and
creamed spinach, as well as Coldstone Creamery...)

<snip>

> I read the Arby's roast beef ingredients. Turns out it's just pressed
> ground beef, frozen, thin sliced and then steam cooked (?). A friend
> was eating one of them with horseradish (?) sauce when some of it
> oozed out and landed on his truck's hood. As fast as he was able to
> wipe it off, it took off the paint! It was actually an amazing
> incident. When Arby's time comes, they too, will not be missed.

For a while I had a job in a location right next to an Arby's, so we ended
up buying food there occasionally. I never tried any of their beef things,
but there were two good items on the menu: the "fresh market" chicken or
turkey caesar sandwich and the Jamoca shake. The sandwich actually contained
real ingredients and came on good bread. The coffee shake was a guilty
pleasure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:21:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> That's the way Capitalism just IS. Until workers everywhere get the
> shit out of their heads and realize that the owning class is their
> adversary (not enemy, adversary), and votes/legislates/governs
> accordingly, that is just par for the course. In public corporations,
> management has ONE AND EXACTLY ONE responsibility, the well being of
> the shareholders. In the absence of regulations prohibiting such
> nasty behavior, they are obligated to consider ONLY what benefits
> shareholders, regardless of what that does to worker

You GO Bryan! That sums it up very nicely and it's the reason why
labor unions exist. Read "Meet You in Hell" by Les Standiford -
about the partnership of Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I went to eat at a Maria Callenders in Napa, CA not knowing much about
it, but my brother-in-law lived down the street from it, and thought
it was a good place for a quickie. I discovered the Arnold Palmer
drink there, which I now make myself. Coming from Pittsburgh which is
close to Latrobe, where Arnie is from, and I had never heard of it,
even though I lived in Pittsburgh for over twenty-five years. What is
even more ironic, I ate at a local place (Valley Dairy) which could
not be more than a mile from where Arnie lives, and they had never
heard of the drink. You would think that would be their signature
drink since the chain is locally famous in Latrobe, although Arnie
lives in the next town called "Youngstown."

tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 1:26*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:20:20 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> > Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> > taking even long-time employees by surprise. *The company
> > is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

> I've never seen what other people seem to see in Marie Callendar's; so
> I'm surprised that didn't happen 20 years ago. *
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Most all their frozen entrees are so high in fat and sodium and other
bad stuff, I never buy them any more. I have had a couple and they
were really good - and I'm not a dieter by nature but really, they
should have tried to compete in some additional arenas. My
opinion....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 3:37*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:

> >> Nearly half of their locations closed suddenly today,
> >> taking even long-time employees by surprise. *The company
> >> is in Chapter 11, and more closings are anticipated.

> > Mark,

> > There was a Callendars on Wilshire Blvd next to the La Brea Tar Pits, Los
> > Angeles. The food was always good. It was spacious, with high ceilings
> > and tastefully decorated, easily making it one of the nicest places to
> > eat in the area, and only two blocks from my house.

> > I called them up yesterday and they were open for business, for now.

> > We always enjoyed the free "bottomless" baskets of blue corn tortillas
> > and salsa to munch while waiting for the meal to arrive.

> > I'm in agreement with the other members about the abrupt unannounced
> > closings. Talk about a slap in the face to so many employees!!!

> > Even if there was a Callendars my area, I would no longer eat there,
> > purely on principle.

> > I wonder if this also means the end of their line of frozen foods, some
> > which were very good. I won't be buying them anymore either.

> I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins which
> is also closing. *AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area. *But we sure
> ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. *And they were one of the
> few places we could go to eat on Staten Island that wasn't Italian.- Hide quoted text -

We have a Perkins here, and it is a great place for breakfasts/
brunches. I hope they don't close.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 6:17*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins
> > which is also closing. *AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area.
> > But we sure ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. *And
> > they were one of the few places we could go to eat on Staten Island
> > that wasn't Italian.

> I heard they are closing 50 Perkins. *They are pretty common where I
> live and they are always hopping. *The thing about Perkins like a lot
> of chains is that some of them are better than others, and I will not be
> happy if the one I visit goes out of business. *I really enjoy their
> omelettes.
>
> Of course, I'm sure the owner of that location could just say This is
> our new name and go on, business as usual, without those franchise
> fees he has to pay. *
>
> nancy * *

nancy, I agree with you - our Perkins is terrific. Clean, well-
mannered staff, fresh muffins and pies, and great omelets (and other
breakfast items).

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Jun 14, 4:17 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > I just looked it up and I didn't know this, but they also own Perkins
> > which is also closing. AFAIK there are no more Perkins in this area.
> > But we sure ate at a lot of them making cross country moves. And
> > they were one of the few places we could go to eat on Staten Island
> > that wasn't Italian.

> I heard they are closing 50 Perkins. They are pretty common where I
> live and they are always hopping. The thing about Perkins like a lot
> of chains is that some of them are better than others, and I will not be
> happy if the one I visit goes out of business. I really enjoy their
> omelettes.
>
> Of course, I'm sure the owner of that location could just say This is
> our new name and go on, business as usual, without those franchise
> fees he has to pay.

Frequently the food for coffee shop chains comes from central
commissaries. Not short orders like eggs of course.

But memory fails me and Google is no help. Wasn't Perkins called
"Perkins Cake and Steak," or something like that?

Yeah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <9492a5cd-9516-492d-98ac-e4232ca63ae1
@k6g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, says...

> On Jun 14, 7:56*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:

> > > Wow! *I haven't eaten there in years. *I went once to the one by Northgate
> > > in Seattle and had a tuna melt. *My dad would get greatly annoyed at me when
> > > I did this, saying this was something I could easily make at home. *Well no
> > > it wasn't. *I tried. *Mine were never good. *Oddly he could make one that
> > > was good even though he doesn't know how to cook much of anything. *The
> > > sandwich was so huge and drippy and messy that it took me 2 hours to eat it.
> > > I was then banned from ever ordering another tuna melt when my dad was
> > > present. *Heh.

> > > When we moved to CA, we would stop there on the way home from shopping at
> > > Travis AFB. *I should add that restaurant would never be my first choice.
> > > It just happened to be in the right location.

> > > I once asked for a side of veggies for my daughter and I was told by the
> > > waitress that they didn't do that. *I protested because there was nothing on
> > > the kid's menu that had veggies with it unless you count the fries. *She
> > > said she would have to charge me for a salad bar and would have to take a
> > > little dish of corn or something from the salad bar in order to give her
> > > some veggies. *I think the price at the time was $8.99. *They did not offer
> > > an add on salad bar for kids at a reduced price like they did for adults.
> > > My daughter didn't eat much salad in those days. *She was very young. *She
> > > would only eat certain types of greens and they didn't have those. *She did
> > > love black olives and there were a few other things she would eat a bite or
> > > two of. *So I would have to sneak her food from my plate.

> > > I usually got the turkey dinner when we ate there. *I could not eat the
> > > stuffing. *I don't know what they put in it but it was overly sweet and
> > > spiked my blood sugar badly. *Their cornbread was weird too and I wouldn't
> > > eat that either. *I would always get a tiny apple on my plate and that was
> > > my daughter's favorite thing. *I would always give it to her.

> > > I heard on the news today that Wendy's just sold the Arby's chain and that
> > > they were failing.

> > I can see Arbys failing. *In a three block radius here there are Burger
> > King, Dennys, Arbys, two Mcdonalds, KFC, Friendlys, Wendys, Figaro
> > (local), Pizza 123 (local), Quiznos, some Chinese fast food place in the
> > mall, Olive Garden, Hazard Grill (local), D'Angelo, Taco Bell, Dunkin
> > Donuts, Cheng's Garden (local), Five Guys, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a
> > half a dozen others. *Of those as you drive past at noon, Arbys is the
> > only one with an empty parking lot.
> >

> > > I think overall, people are just dining out less. *I don't think they can
> > > afford it. *I know we are dining out less.- Hide quoted text -

> We don't have a donut place anymore of any kind, and Krispy Kreme is
> gone from outlets and supermarkets, too. I guess we're not a donutty
> city, but I miss having either a Donutland or a Dunkin'.

There's gotta be a donut shop. How do the cops survive stakeouts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> > stuffing. *I don't know what they put in it but it was overly sweet and
> > spiked my blood sugar badly. *Their cornbread was weird too and I wouldn't
> > eat that either. *I would always get a tiny apple on my plate and that was
> > my daughter's favorite thing. *I would always give it to her.

> > I heard on the news today that Wendy's just sold the Arby's chain and that
> > they were failing.

> I can see Arbys failing. *In a three block radius here there are Burger
> King, Dennys, Arbys, two Mcdonalds, KFC, Friendlys, Wendys, Figaro
> (local), Pizza 123 (local), Quiznos, some Chinese fast food place in the
> mall, Olive Garden, Hazard Grill (local), D'Angelo, Taco Bell, Dunkin
> Donuts, Cheng's Garden (local), Five Guys, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a
> half a dozen others. *Of those as you drive past at noon, Arbys is the

They just built a new Arby's near here. Arby's is the very worst fast
food, though Checkers/Rally's could also make a valid claim to that
title.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote
> You GO Bryan! That sums it up very nicely and it's the reason why
> labor unions exist. Read "Meet You in Hell" by Les Standiford -
> about the partnership of Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick.

I'll take my chances rather than give my money to the union thugs.
Most have outlived their usefulness years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 3:26*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jun 14, 10:10*am, "Janet" > wrote:
>

> > Andy wrote:

> > <snip>

> > > We've run off Burger King, Little Caesars, Boston Market, Taco Bell,
> > > Cold Stone Creamery and Subway. Except for the daily deluge of jurors
> > > from all over the county *to the county courthouse, us locals are
> > > very staunch supporters of the locally owned businesses.

> > Good for you! (Although I must say I loved Boston Market's chicken salad and
> > creamed spinach, as well as Coldstone Creamery...)

> > *<snip>

> > > I read the Arby's roast beef ingredients. Turns out it's just pressed
> > > ground beef, frozen, thin sliced and then steam cooked (?). A friend
> > > was eating one of them with horseradish (?) sauce when some of it
> > > oozed out and landed on his truck's hood. As fast as he was able to
> > > wipe it off, it took off the paint! It was actually an amazing
> > > incident. When Arby's time comes, they too, will not be missed.

> > For a while I had a *job in a location right next to an Arby's, so we ended
> > up buying food there occasionally. I never tried any of their beef things,
> > but there were two good items on the menu: the "fresh market" chicken or
> > turkey caesar sandwich and the Jamoca shake. The sandwich actually contained
> > real ingredients and came on good bread. The coffee shake was a guilty
> > pleasure.

> We had a Boston Market for a very, very short time. *It was a take-out
> place only, but it got taken away, I guess. *I don't know anyone who
> eats Arby's - all that fake meat and stuff. *Ick.

"People do crazy things when they're in ads Lisa, like eat at Arby's."
--Marge Simpson

> N.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 9:45*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
> > On Jun 14, 4:17 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >> live and they are always hopping. The thing about Perkins like a lot
> >> of chains is that some of them are better than others, and I will
> >> not be happy if the one I visit goes out of business. I really enjoy
> >> their omelettes.

> >> Of course, I'm sure the owner of that location could just say This is
> >> our new name and go on, business as usual, without those franchise
> >> fees he has to pay.

> > Frequently the food for coffee shop chains comes from central
> > commissaries. Not short orders like eggs of course.

> Yeah, now that you mention it, it might be more complicated than
> just taking down the name, and it's not the kind of place where I'd
> order lunch or dinner so I don't know what else they have. *This place,
> the owner is Greek, I'm pretty sure he knows where to find some cooks
> who can turn out the kind of food they offer.
>
> Me, I'm happy with my garden mix and bacon omelet, *whatever they
> do just give me that and my cranberry nut muffin to go and we'll get
> along just fine. *Heh. *Not that I'm a creature of habit or anything. *Much.
>
> > But memory fails me and Google is no help. Wasn't Perkins called
> > "Perkins Cake and Steak," or something like that?

> Googling around, that looks right. *To me it was always just Perkins.

It was called Perkins Pancake House around here.

> nancy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:50:28 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote
> > You GO Bryan! That sums it up very nicely and it's the reason why
> > labor unions exist. Read "Meet You in Hell" by Les Standiford -
> > about the partnership of Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick.
> >

> I'll take my chances rather than give my money to the union thugs.
> Most have outlived their usefulness years ago.

You go right ahead and take your chances. There are plenty of people
who need union protection and are willing to contribute to have it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:06:53 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> I guess the closings were even more sudden than I thought.
> According to Wikipedia, some patrons were asked to leave
> before they finished eating.

Wow, that's RUDE. I guess they just didn't care. "I was just fired
with no prior warning, so get_out_now." They might as well leave the
food on the table and the kitchen in a mess too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> We don't have a donut place anymore of any kind, and Krispy Kreme is
> gone from outlets and supermarkets, too. I guess we're not a donutty
> city, but I miss having either a Donutland or a Dunkin'.
>
> N.

I've been surprised by the number of donut places between Houston and
Galveston. Even in the small towns. Every time I go there I see another,
and they don't appear to be chains (or at least chains I recognize).
I'm not a big donut eater so I've never stopped in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "sf" > wrote
>> You GO Bryan! That sums it up very nicely and it's the reason why
>> labor unions exist. Read "Meet You in Hell" by Les Standiford -
>> about the partnership of Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick.
>>

> I'll take my chances rather than give my money to the union thugs. Most
> have outlived their usefulness years ago.

This business with Boeing and South Carolina vs. the unions just makes
my blood boil! Damn straight the company has the right to put their
factory where ever they want it. At least its still *in* in the US, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-15, sf > wrote:

> with no prior warning, so get_out_now." They might as well leave the
> food on the table.....

Not without a refund!! Otherwise, better call the cops, cuz if I
paid for it, I'm damn sure gonna finish it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 1:45*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:02:24 -0700 (PDT), "
>
> > wrote:
> > I discovered the Arnold Palmer
> > drink there, which I now make myself. Coming from Pittsburgh which is
> > close to Latrobe, where Arnie is from, and I had never heard of it,
> > even though I lived in Pittsburgh for over twenty-five years.

> *That's okay, I've never heard of it either... but I see it's a
> "mocktail" and I might even like it!
>
> Equal parts lemonade and iced tea
>
> Combine ingredients in a highball or tall glass with ice, stir and
> enjoy.
>
> Read mo Arnold Palmer recipehttp://www.drinksmixer.com/drink7533.html#ixzz1PHkKAMf6
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

You had a variation at my place when I was in the bay area a year or
so ago. We called it a John Daly...it had bourbon in it as well.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:35:08 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>

>> Add a little vodka to it and you've got a "John Daly" instead of just an
>> "Arnold Palmer"

> It's better with bourbon. Ask Bob T, and Sf.
>
> Christine

oh yeahhhhhhhh.. I can imagine that being much nicer than vodka.
And I never use gacky fake lemonade in mine. Good freshly brewed sweet
tea and real lemonade. Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-15, Goomba > wrote:

> This business with Boeing and South Carolina vs. the unions just makes
> my blood boil! Damn straight the company has the right to put their
> factory where ever they want it.

Jes as the workers have a right to form a union to protect themselves.

You sound like someone who has never been screwed outta your rightful
earnings by your employer. It happens. It's happened to me often
enough to appreciate the value of a good union. I'll be the first to
admit unions can become just as bad for the rank and file as
corporations, but each case must be judged on its own merits.

Passing laws that give either the corporations or the union an edge
over the other is bad politics.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:36:34 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:35:08 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>

> >Add a little vodka to it and you've got a "John Daly" instead of just an
> >"Arnold Palmer"

> It's better with bourbon. Ask Bob T, and Sf.

I thought you served us whiskey sours? OK, I'm confused now.
Whatever it was, was good. Refill, please!