Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Restaurant chains want to kill this guy

Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
increase in gas prices

To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home
following the step by step instructions of Master Chef Ron Douglas.

The so called "secret recipes" of these billion dollar restaurants
have now been exposed and shared with the world in the cooking
instructional guide "America's Secret Recipes."

For details, go to:

http://bit.ly/lijdDa

Douglas is facing major pressure to take down his site and discontinue
all sales of his secret recipe cookbooks. But he continues to thumb
his nose at the greedy restaurant executives in support of the budget
constrained home cook.

Anyone looking to duplicate their favorite restaurant recipes should
pick up "America's Secret Recipes" now before it's forced off the
market.
Go to:
http://bit.ly/lijdDa

Finally you can:

- Stop waiting on those long lines at restaurants to pay for dishes
you can quickly make in your own kitchen!

- Re-create your favorite restaurant dishes at home for a fraction of
the cost by following these easy step-by-step instructions.

- Get kudos and praise from friends and family members when they find
out you actually made these delicious dishes yourself!

- Uncover the cooking techniques used by world class chefs from famous
restaurants.
Discover the secrets to making your favorite restaurant recipes at
home -
go to:

http://bit.ly/lijdDa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 9:26*pm, Eric Campbell > wrote:
> Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> increase in gas prices
>
> To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
> can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home
> following the step by step instructions of Master Chef Ron Douglas.
>
> The so called "secret recipes" of these billion dollar restaurants
> have now been exposed and shared with the world in the cooking
> instructional guide "America's Secret Recipes."
>
> For details, go to:
>
> http://bit.ly/lijdDa
>
> Douglas is facing major pressure to take down his site and discontinue
> all sales of his secret recipe cookbooks. *But he continues to thumb
> his nose at the greedy restaurant executives in support of the budget
> constrained home cook.
>
> Anyone looking to duplicate their favorite restaurant recipes should
> pick up "America's Secret Recipes" now before it's forced off the
> market.
> Go to:http://bit.ly/lijdDa
>
> Finally you can:
>
> - Stop waiting on those long lines at restaurants to pay for dishes
> you can quickly make in your own kitchen!
>
> - Re-create your favorite restaurant dishes at home for a fraction of
> the cost by following these easy step-by-step instructions.
>
> - Get kudos and praise from friends and family members when they find
> out you actually made these delicious dishes yourself!
>
> - Uncover the cooking techniques used by world class chefs from famous
> restaurants.
> Discover the secrets to making your favorite restaurant recipes at
> home -
> go to:
>
> http://bit.ly/lijdDa

No thank you. Where I live if someone wants a recipe from a
restaurant all they have to do is to write to the food editor of the
local newspaper and have him ask the restaurant or chef for the
recipe. Most restaurants are happy to oblige.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:30:51 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Eric Campbell wrote:
> >
> > Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> > Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> > increase in gas prices

> If we want mediocre fast-food recipes, we can always
> ask Stu for that, not that any of us would. Only a
> few people here eat the crap you're spamming.

What made me laugh was that he's trying to *sell* it. If I wanted to
buy it, why wouldn't I just go to the restaurant to buy it - so
someone else would make it for me too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Eric Campbell wrote:

> Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> increase in gas prices

If we want mediocre fast-food recipes, we can always
ask Stu for that, not that any of us would. Only a
few people here eat the crap you're spamming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> No thank you. Where I live if someone wants a recipe from a
> restaurant all they have to do is to write to the food editor of the
> local newspaper and have him ask the restaurant or chef for the
> recipe. Most restaurants are happy to oblige.

Also, for me the point of going to a restaurant is NOT having to make it
myself.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 12:30*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Eric Campbell wrote:
>
> > Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> > Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> > increase in gas prices

> If we want mediocre fast-food recipes, we can always
> ask Stu for that, not that any of us would. *Only a
> few people here eat the crap you're spamming.

If I were a mediocre fast-food recipe, I'd feel insulted.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2011 9:26 PM, Eric Campbell wrote:
> Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> increase in gas prices
>
> To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
> can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home
> following the step by step instructions of Master Chef Ron Douglas.
>
> The so called "secret recipes" of these billion dollar restaurants
> have now been exposed and shared with the world in the cooking
> instructional guide "America's Secret Recipes."

You mean I will be able to buy buckets of secret sauces and other great
industrial components that industrial restaurants use? Where do I send
the money?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:26:22 -0700 (PDT), Eric Campbell
> wrote:

>Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
>Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
>increase in gas prices
>
>To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
>can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home
>following the step by step instructions of Master Chef Ron Douglas.
>
>The so called "secret recipes" of these billion dollar restaurants
>have now been exposed and shared with the world in the cooking
>instructional guide "America's Secret Recipes."
>
>For details, go to:
>
>http://bit.ly/lijdDa
>
>Douglas is facing major pressure to take down his site and discontinue
>all sales of his secret recipe cookbooks. But he continues to thumb
>his nose at the greedy restaurant executives in support of the budget
>constrained home cook.
>
>Anyone looking to duplicate their favorite restaurant recipes should
>pick up "America's Secret Recipes" now before it's forced off the
>market.
>Go to:
>http://bit.ly/lijdDa
>
>Finally you can:
>
>- Stop waiting on those long lines at restaurants to pay for dishes
>you can quickly make in your own kitchen!
>
>- Re-create your favorite restaurant dishes at home for a fraction of
>the cost by following these easy step-by-step instructions.
>
>- Get kudos and praise from friends and family members when they find
>out you actually made these delicious dishes yourself!
>
>- Uncover the cooking techniques used by world class chefs from famous
>restaurants.
>Discover the secrets to making your favorite restaurant recipes at
>home -
>go to:
>
>http://bit.ly/lijdDa

Secret restaurant recipes have been available in many book form for
years and years. One author updates regularly. Lots of them also
available on the Internet. Google for it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, lid says...

> On 6/9/2011 9:26 PM, Eric Campbell wrote:
> > Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> > Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> > increase in gas prices
> >
> > To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
> > can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home
> > following the step by step instructions of Master Chef Ron Douglas.
> >
> > The so called "secret recipes" of these billion dollar restaurants
> > have now been exposed and shared with the world in the cooking
> > instructional guide "America's Secret Recipes."
> >

> You mean I will be able to buy buckets of secret sauces and other great
> industrial components that industrial restaurants use? Where do I send
> the money?

Gotta say, the guy's a good marketer. He's offering an ebook for 30
bucks--the "physical version" is available for "a small additional
charge" but you have to read all the way through his web page to find
that out. And if you go to Amazon they've got three paper copies for
over 200 bucks a pop with no reviews, suggesting that it's something
rare and valuable--they're through used book sellers so I'd be
interested in knowing how he pulled that off.

OTOH, there's another "secret recipe" line out, by Todd Wilbur, that
goes for 10 bucks on Amazon and has lots and lots of good reviews. I
think if I were in the market for such a book that's the one I would go
with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:25:55 -0400, George >
wrote:

> You mean I will be able to buy buckets of secret sauces and other great
> industrial components that industrial restaurants use? Where do I send
> the money?

No, you misunderstood. He will sell you *recipes* so you can make
buckets of them in the comfort of your own home. You won't even have
to change your t-shirt for dinner.

It always amazes me when people start acting like chain food is haute
cuisine and a standard to strive for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 5:58*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> > On 6/9/2011 9:26 PM, Eric Campbell wrote:
> > > Sales have been slowing at national restaurant chains like Red
> > > Lobster, TGI Fridays, and the Cheesecake Factory recently due to the
> > > increase in gas prices

Reminds me I quit going to work because I couldn't afford the gas to
get there.

> > > To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
> > > can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home
> > > following the step by step instructions of Master Chef Ron Douglas.

His Amazon bio says he's an ex-finance director. No cheffing on his
resume at all, master or otherwise.

But I could duplicate the heart of the Olive Garden experience with
bagged lettuce and a bottle of Wishbone. Thank the good lord that
Stella D'Oro did not go out of business.

> > > The so called "secret recipes" of these billion dollar restaurants
> > > have now been exposed and shared with the world in the cooking
> > > instructional guide "America's Secret Recipes."

> > You mean I will be able to buy buckets of secret sauces and other great
> > industrial components that industrial restaurants use? Where do I send
> > the money?

One blurb on that page talks about duplicating KFC. Talk about low
expectations.

> Gotta say, the guy's a good marketer. *He's offering an ebook for 30
> bucks--the "physical version" is available for "a small additional
> charge" but you have to read all the way through his web page to find
> that out. *And if you go to Amazon they've got three paper copies for
> over 200 bucks a pop with no reviews, suggesting that it's something
> rare and valuable--they're through used book sellers so I'd be
> interested in knowing how he pulled that off.

I couldn't find these at all. Only three Ron Douglas paperbacks, each
around $10. The Kindle versions actually cost more.

> OTOH, there's another "secret recipe" line out, by Todd Wilbur, that
> goes for 10 bucks on Amazon and has lots and lots of good reviews. *I
> think if I were in the market for such a book that's the one I would go
> with.

"Master Chef" Ron Douglas's books are also in the $10 range on Amazon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:37:07 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>One blurb on that page talks about duplicating KFC. Talk about low
>expectations.

Now hold on!

I know that almost everything in KFC is bad for me health-wise, but I
go to their buffet about twice a year.

While there, I eat all of it. NUM NUM,,,(bad for me),,,NUM NUM,,,(I
know, this is bad for me),,,NUM NUM

I *like* their crunchy chicken!

Hahahahaaha, that was fun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to
make at home was the corn cake I got at El Torito. It happened to be
the only few bites I liked from the whole dinner, so I have no plans
to ever return to the restaurant. While I would like to make the exact
same item at home, and I am willing to do the work to make them, I
have no intention of buying a whole book with the hope that it might
be in there. I have found some recipes online for similar items, but
none of them sound like exactly the same thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:20:29 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Making it yourself tends to increase your appreciation for having it at the restaurant.

Absolutely! Remember the Duck with Green Pepper Corn Sauce craze? I
wanted so badly to make it at home, until I finally found a Jr. League
cookbook with the recipe from the restaurant where I ate it and saw
how darned complicated it was. I don't mind doing something special
that has a lot of steps with fairly complicated components; but after
one look at that recipe, I knew I'd rather order it and enjoy the
fruits of someone else's labor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:09:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to
> make at home was the corn cake I got at El Torito.

I like it too and it's very much like the one at Chevy's, if you ever
look for a copycat recipe. I haven't tried making it at home, so if
anyone has, I'd like to know how it turned out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dj wrote:

> Where I live if someone wants a recipe from a restaurant all they have to
> do is to write to the food editor of the local newspaper and have him ask
> the restaurant or chef for the recipe. Most restaurants are happy to
> oblige.

I don't know if you remember, but on Thanksgiving 2008 Jill ate a restaurant
meal which she *loved*, and she wanted to get the recipe. Problem was, the
dish she ate wasn't on the restaurant's normal menu, it was one of the
specials for that evening. So she tried asking the restaurant for the
recipe, and all she was told was that she should buy the restaurant's
cookbook. But of course the recipe for that one-night special dish wouldn't
*be* in the cookbook, so that advice was useless. She never did get the
recipe. (The recipe she was after was for a cream sauce with herbs, but she
wasn't able to tell which herbs had been used.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

> OTOH, there's another "secret recipe" line out, by Todd Wilbur, that
> goes for 10 bucks on Amazon and has lots and lots of good reviews. I
> think if I were in the market for such a book that's the one I would
> go with.

He seems to have written about 8 of them. But it looks like none have the
one fast food recipe I want. The original KFC, the way it was when the
Colonel made it.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:09:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to
>> make at home was the corn cake I got at El Torito.

> I like it too and it's very much like the one at Chevy's, if you ever
> look for a copycat recipe. I haven't tried making it at home, so if
> anyone has, I'd like to know how it turned out.

Yikes! I found the one at Chevy's to be one of the most vile things I ever
tasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:21:19 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:

> The original KFC, the way it was when the Colonel made it.

Isn't that one as protected as the original Coke recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meghan wrote:

> The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to make at
> home was the corn cake I got at El Torito. It happened to be the only few
> bites I liked from the whole dinner, so I have no plans to ever return to
> the restaurant.

One of my coworkers mentioned El Torito the other day, and brought up the
fact that they're damn expensive for the mediocre food they serve. I'm in
full agreement with that. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but
El Torito's food just isn't good enough to justify their prices.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:28:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:09:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to
> >> make at home was the corn cake I got at El Torito.

> > I like it too and it's very much like the one at Chevy's, if you ever
> > look for a copycat recipe. I haven't tried making it at home, so if
> > anyone has, I'd like to know how it turned out.

> Yikes! I found the one at Chevy's to be one of the most vile things I ever
> tasted.

Viva la difference!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:45:39 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Meghan wrote:
>
> > The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to make at
> > home was the corn cake I got at El Torito. It happened to be the only few
> > bites I liked from the whole dinner, so I have no plans to ever return to
> > the restaurant.

> One of my coworkers mentioned El Torito the other day, and brought up the
> fact that they're damn expensive for the mediocre food they serve. I'm in
> full agreement with that. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but
> El Torito's food just isn't good enough to justify their prices.

El Torito had pretty good food at mediocre to low prices back in the
day (and kids ate free). Unfortunately, it became a corporate
football and you never knew what to expect. We avoided it for years,
when we retried it a few years, it was improving. Sorry to hear
they've degraded it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Meghan wrote:
> > The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to make at
> > home was the corn cake I got at El Torito. It happened to be the only few
> > bites I liked from the whole dinner, so I have no plans to ever return to
> > the restaurant.

> One of my coworkers mentioned El Torito the other day, and brought up the
> fact that they're damn expensive for the mediocre food they serve. I'm in
> full agreement with that. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but
> El Torito's food just isn't good enough to justify their prices.

I hated it. Their beans had bits of peppers in them, so there was no
non-spicy version. I cannot eat spicy food, so I always get extra
beans instead of rice when I eat at a Mexican style restaurant. So, I
had double beans that were edible, but not enjoyable. I also tried to
order a burrito with beef inside and no sauce on top, just cheese. I
got a dry burrito with a couple shredded pieces of cheese. And there
were beans inside with the beef. The only enjoyable part of the meal
was the 3 bites of the corn cake thing. That was really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:26:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
> > Meghan wrote:
> > > The only thing I have gotten at a restaurant that I have wanted to make at
> > > home was the corn cake I got at El Torito. It happened to be the only few
> > > bites I liked from the whole dinner, so I have no plans to ever return to
> > > the restaurant.

> > One of my coworkers mentioned El Torito the other day, and brought up the
> > fact that they're damn expensive for the mediocre food they serve. I'm in
> > full agreement with that. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but
> > El Torito's food just isn't good enough to justify their prices.
> >

> I hated it. Their beans had bits of peppers in them, so there was no
> non-spicy version. I cannot eat spicy food, so I always get extra
> beans instead of rice when I eat at a Mexican style restaurant. So, I
> had double beans that were edible, but not enjoyable. I also tried to
> order a burrito with beef inside and no sauce on top, just cheese. I
> got a dry burrito with a couple shredded pieces of cheese. And there
> were beans inside with the beef. The only enjoyable part of the meal
> was the 3 bites of the corn cake thing. That was really good.

Oh, my goodness. My Son in Law can't take any sort of heat either,
but he doesn't tempt fait by eating that kind of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Catfish Acadian (WAS: Restaurant chains want to kill this guy)

> wrote in message
> On Jun 9, 9:26 pm, Eric Campbell > wrote:
>>
>> To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
>> can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home

Gee, ya think?!

> No thank you. Where I live if someone wants a recipe from a
> restaurant all they have to do is to write to the food editor of the
> local newspaper and have him ask the restaurant or chef for the
> recipe. Most restaurants are happy to oblige.

That's true, and sometimes you can simply call or email the restaurant and
the chef will oblige. I was pretty sure I figured out all the ingredients
in 'Catfish Acadian' from the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown Memphis. There
was one ingredient I missed. So I emailed the restaurant with what I
thought it contained. Got a reply back from the chef: "You're very close,
but you forgot the celery." [Insert classic slap on the head.] It's the
holy trinity in Louisiana cooking - onions, bell peppers and celery! I
guess I got lost in the garlic

Here's the actual recipe, and it's quite delicious:

Catfish Acadian

2 lbs. catfish fillets*
seasoned flour
olive oil
butter
diced onions and garlic
diced bell pepper
diced celery
1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
4 large shrimp, chopped
whole cream
salt & cayenne pepper

Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, saute
the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery in butter
until translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and saute until
just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little cayenne
pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.

*I can't find catfish where I live now but any mild white fish will do.
Oddly enough, I can find frozen packages of crawfish tailmeat. Go figure.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:20:23 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Jun 9, 9:26 pm, Eric Campbell > wrote:
>>>
>>> To make matters worse, more and more people are discovering that they
>>> can save money by making their favorite restaurant dishes at home

>Gee, ya think?!
>>
>> No thank you. Where I live if someone wants a recipe from a
>> restaurant all they have to do is to write to the food editor of the
>> local newspaper and have him ask the restaurant or chef for the
>> recipe. Most restaurants are happy to oblige.

>That's true, and sometimes you can simply call or email the restaurant and
>the chef will oblige. I was pretty sure I figured out all the ingredients
>in 'Catfish Acadian' from the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown Memphis. There
>was one ingredient I missed. So I emailed the restaurant with what I
>thought it contained. Got a reply back from the chef: "You're very close,
>but you forgot the celery." [Insert classic slap on the head.] It's the
>holy trinity in Louisiana cooking - onions, bell peppers and celery! I
>guess I got lost in the garlic
>
>Here's the actual recipe, and it's quite delicious:
>
>Catfish Acadian
>
>2 lbs. catfish fillets*
>seasoned flour
>olive oil
>butter
>diced onions and garlic
>diced bell pepper
>diced celery
>1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
>4 large shrimp, chopped
>whole cream
>salt & cayenne pepper
>
>Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
>until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, saute
>the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery in butter
>until translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and saute until
>just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little cayenne
>pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>
>*I can't find catfish where I live now but any mild white fish will do.
>Oddly enough, I can find frozen packages of crawfish tailmeat. Go figure.
>
>Jill

I love the sound of this, Jill. Although getting catfish is no
problem for me, the crawfish tail meat is a no go. It's been decades
since I've had any crawfish. Can you give me a 'tastes like?' Maybe
I can sub something. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:20:23 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>> Gee, ya think?!
>>> No thank you. Where I live if someone wants a recipe from a
>>> restaurant all they have to do is to write to the food editor of the
>>> local newspaper and have him ask the restaurant or chef for the
>>> recipe. Most restaurants are happy to oblige.

>> That's true, and sometimes you can simply call or email the restaurant and
>> the chef will oblige. I was pretty sure I figured out all the ingredients
>> in 'Catfish Acadian' from the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown Memphis. There
>> was one ingredient I missed. So I emailed the restaurant with what I
>> thought it contained. Got a reply back from the chef: "You're very close,
>> but you forgot the celery." [Insert classic slap on the head.] It's the
>> holy trinity in Louisiana cooking - onions, bell peppers and celery! I
>> guess I got lost in the garlic
>>
>> Here's the actual recipe, and it's quite delicious:
>>
>> Catfish Acadian
>>
>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets*
>> seasoned flour
>> olive oil
>> butter
>> diced onions and garlic
>> diced bell pepper
>> diced celery
>> 1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
>> 4 large shrimp, chopped
>> whole cream
>> salt & cayenne pepper
>>
>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
>> until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, saute
>> the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery in butter
>> until translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and saute until
>> just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little cayenne
>> pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>>
>> *I can't find catfish where I live now but any mild white fish will do.
>> Oddly enough, I can find frozen packages of crawfish tailmeat. Go figure.
>>
>> Jill

> I love the sound of this, Jill. Although getting catfish is no
> problem for me, the crawfish tail meat is a no go. It's been decades
> since I've had any crawfish. Can you give me a 'tastes like?' Maybe
> I can sub something. Thanks
> Janet US

I would substitute tiny salad shrimp or crab meat or leftover lobster.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:03:40 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson
> wrote,
>dsi1 wrote:
>> Bu... but... restaurant chains want to kill this guy!!! :-)

>I want to kill the guy. Nothing unusual about that.

He's a spammer. You have my permission.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:45:08 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> Gee, ya think?!
>>>
>>> That's true, and sometimes you can simply call or email the restaurant and
>>> the chef will oblige. I was pretty sure I figured out all the ingredients
>>> in 'Catfish Acadian' from the Bayou Bar & Grill in midtown Memphis. There
>>> was one ingredient I missed. So I emailed the restaurant with what I
>>> thought it contained. Got a reply back from the chef: "You're very close,
>>> but you forgot the celery." [Insert classic slap on the head.] It's the
>>> holy trinity in Louisiana cooking - onions, bell peppers and celery! I
>>> guess I got lost in the garlic
>>>
>>> Here's the actual recipe, and it's quite delicious:
>>>
>>> Catfish Acadian
>>>
>>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets*
>>> seasoned flour
>>> olive oil
>>> butter
>>> diced onions and garlic
>>> diced bell pepper
>>> diced celery
>>> 1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
>>> 4 large shrimp, chopped
>>> whole cream
>>> salt & cayenne pepper
>>>
>>> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
>>> until lightly browned. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another pan, saute
>>> the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and celery in butter
>>> until translucent. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and saute until
>>> just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little cayenne
>>> pepper. Pour this mixture over the fish and serve.
>>>
>>> *I can't find catfish where I live now but any mild white fish will do.
>>> Oddly enough, I can find frozen packages of crawfish tailmeat. Go figure.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I love the sound of this, Jill. Although getting catfish is no
>> problem for me, the crawfish tail meat is a no go. It's been decades
>> since I've had any crawfish. Can you give me a 'tastes like?' Maybe
>> I can sub something. Thanks
>> Janet US

>I would substitute tiny salad shrimp or crab meat or leftover lobster.
>
>-Bob

Thanks Bob.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:21:19 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> > wrote:
>
> > The original KFC, the way it was when the Colonel made it.

> Isn't that one as protected as the original Coke recipe?

Well, that original recipe had cocaine, so it probably didn't matter what
else you put in it.

But I vaguely remember the old KFC. I thought it was inferior to my
mother's, but now I'd like to taste it again. I've been able to make my
mother's recipe since I was a teenager. I guess now I'm just more
interested in variety.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> I love the sound of this, Jill. Although getting catfish is no
> problem for me, the crawfish tail meat is a no go. It's been decades
> since I've had any crawfish. Can you give me a 'tastes like?' Maybe
> I can sub something. Thanks

Is there a Trader Joe's in your area? Trader Joe's carries frozen rock
shrimp, which are about as close to crawfish as possible.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:45:16 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Janet wrote:
>
>> I love the sound of this, Jill. Although getting catfish is no
>> problem for me, the crawfish tail meat is a no go. It's been decades
>> since I've had any crawfish. Can you give me a 'tastes like?' Maybe
>> I can sub something. Thanks

>Is there a Trader Joe's in your area? Trader Joe's carries frozen rock
>shrimp, which are about as close to crawfish as possible.
>
>Bob

No. Whole Foods did pronounce that they will build a store some time
in the future. This is the home of Albertsons. For years nothing
else was here. But I'll look for the frozen rock shrimp.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 12:30*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:26:41 -0700 (PDT), "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 7:45*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> > wrote:

> > > One of my coworkers mentioned El Torito the other day, and brought up the
> > > fact that they're damn expensive for the mediocre food they serve. I'm in
> > > full agreement with that. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but
> > > El Torito's food just isn't good enough to justify their prices.

> > I hated it. Their beans had bits of peppers in them, so there was no
> > non-spicy version. I cannot eat spicy food, so I always get extra
> > beans instead of rice when I eat at a Mexican style restaurant. So, I
> > had double beans that were edible, but not enjoyable. I also tried to
> > order a burrito with beef inside and no sauce on top, just cheese. I
> > got a dry burrito with a couple shredded pieces of cheese. And there
> > were beans inside with the beef. The only enjoyable part of the meal
> > was the 3 bites of the corn cake thing. That was really good.

> Oh, my goodness. *My Son in Law can't take any sort of heat either,
> but he doesn't tempt fait by eating that kind of food.

I've always been able to order non-spicy food at mexican style
restaurants. I was really surprised that they had no options
available.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I would substitute tiny salad shrimp or crab meat or leftover
>> > lobster.

> Janet, I'd go with lobster as the closest match.

I agree, chopped lobster is the closest match. But hey, if you're going to
have lobster why stuff it in catfish?!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:20:29 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> > wrote:
>
>> Making it yourself tends to increase your appreciation for having it at
>> the restaurant.

> Absolutely! Remember the Duck with Green Pepper Corn Sauce craze?

Um... no. There was a craze about this? Where?!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:52:05 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Janet, I'd go with lobster as the closest match.
>>

>I agree, chopped lobster is the closest match. But hey, if you're going to
>have lobster why stuff it in catfish?!
>
>Jill

I was just being polite by not mentioning that. I feel the same way
every time a TV chef pulverizes or chops up beautiful lobster to use
as a bit of sauce on a hunk of fish. But then, I mostly prefer the
taste of things as they are. If I like lobster, then I want to have
all the pleasure of lobster. But perhaps langoustine would be a good
sub for lobster? That I would be willing to do.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I would substitute tiny salad shrimp or crab meat
> or leftover lobster.
>
> -Bob

What the heck is "Leftover" lobster? Never heard of
shch a thing.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Smythe wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I would substitute tiny salad shrimp or crab meat
>> or leftover lobster.
>>
>> -Bob

> What the heck is "Leftover" lobster? Never heard of
> shch a thing.....

That's why I listed it last, even though lobster would be the best choice.

Bob

--
"It wasn't a rock
It was a rock lobster!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-12, John Smythe > wrote:

> What the heck is "Leftover" lobster?

Does not compute.

nb

Extinct Chains... [email protected] Restaurants 0 18-11-2016 08:55 AM
Supervalue to sell Albertsons, 4 more grocery chains Janet Bostwick General Cooking 21 14-01-2013 05:12 AM
Question about resto chains. Kalmia General Cooking 2 13-12-2010 05:33 AM
Body Chains Bubba General Cooking 12 31-12-2005 05:53 AM
Upscale restaurant chains? nrmcinc Restaurants 0 20-12-2004 11:02 PM