Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Junipers - Such a Glut they're Coming out of MY Ears..well almost :)

Hi all,

Hoping someone can pass on a few ideas as to HOW I can put a bumper
harvest of Juniper Berries to good use. I have had a look on the net
and various cooking booklets but I am just wondering what other neat
recipes folk here may have/used previously for these delicious little
berries.

Oh by the way, I am looking for both sweet AND sour recipes!

Kind Regards,
Brian Anasta
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Brian Anasta > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hoping someone can pass on a few ideas as to HOW I can put a bumper
> harvest of Juniper Berries to good use. I have had a look on the net
> and various cooking booklets but I am just wondering what other neat
> recipes folk here may have/used previously for these delicious little
> berries.
>
> Oh by the way, I am looking for both sweet AND sour recipes!
>
> Kind Regards,
> Brian Anasta

I always (well, almost -- in some special cases not) use a half-
dozen or so crushed juniper berries in stocks. A "bumper crop" will
last a long time, so no need to rush using them!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian Anasta > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Hoping someone can pass on a few ideas as to HOW I can put a bumper
>harvest of Juniper Berries to good use. I have had a look on the net
>and various cooking booklets but I am just wondering what other neat
>recipes folk here may have/used previously for these delicious little
>berries.
>
>Oh by the way, I am looking for both sweet AND sour recipes!

Make gin? Juniper jelly/jam?

I have just a couple recipes that use a couple juniper berries
[smoked kassler that I've tried & like, and pancetta which I haven't
gotten around to]

But I like the flavor and thought I'd give my
'go-to-for-off-the-beaten-path-deliciousness' guy a try. So I
googled "recipe juniper Lebovitz" -- and sure enough-
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/09...ed-red-onions/

So I read down to the recipe and I'm salivating at the thought of
juniper tinged pickled onions. But there is no juniper in the
recipe. It is in the comments. Someone mistakenly used juniper
instead of allspice--- and liked the results. I might try them
with the juniper.

As I think about it, though-- If I had an abundance of juniper berries
I might try some recipes that use a lot of allspice and substitute the
juniper berries. [In my head I'm using them in place of the cloves in
my Melomakarona cookie recipe. . . ]

Jim
[another way to use them up would be to package them and mail to Jim
Elbrecht, 12309 .. .<g> ]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Brian Anasta > wrote:

> Kind Regards,
> Brian Anasta

Here we go again.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 21:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Brian Anasta
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hoping someone can pass on a few ideas as to HOW I can put a bumper
> harvest of Juniper Berries to good use. I have had a look on the net
> and various cooking booklets but I am just wondering what other neat
> recipes folk here may have/used previously for these delicious little
> berries.
>
> Oh by the way, I am looking for both sweet AND sour recipes!

I'm trying to think recipes where I've substituted some gin for
juniper berries and can just come up with baked fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/01/2011 04:08 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Brian > wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Hoping someone can pass on a few ideas as to HOW I can put a bumper
>> harvest of Juniper Berries to good use. I have had a look on the net
>> and various cooking booklets but I am just wondering what other neat
>> recipes folk here may have/used previously for these delicious little
>> berries.
>>
>> Oh by the way, I am looking for both sweet AND sour recipes!

Here's a few ideas:

Corned pork
German Kassler (pork loin)
Beef brisket and sauerkraut
Venison sausage
Emeril's Choucroute (ham, bacon, chicken, sausage, beer)
Christmas British Turkey (used in the stuffing, mostly)
Squash soup
Sahti (traditional Finnish beer)
Root beer
Dijon mustard clone

I snarfed these off the net, but if you see one you like, I could post
it for you here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 07:08:10 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Brian Anasta > wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Hoping someone can pass on a few ideas as to HOW I can put a bumper
>>harvest of Juniper Berries to good use. I have had a look on the net
>>and various cooking booklets but I am just wondering what other neat
>>recipes folk here may have/used previously for these delicious little
>>berries.
>>
>>Oh by the way, I am looking for both sweet AND sour recipes!

> Make gin? Juniper jelly/jam?
>
> I have just a couple recipes that use a couple juniper berries
> [smoked kassler that I've tried & like, and pancetta which I haven't
> gotten around to]
>
> But I like the flavor and thought I'd give my
> 'go-to-for-off-the-beaten-path-deliciousness' guy a try. So I
> googled "recipe juniper Lebovitz" -- and sure enough-
> http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/09...ed-red-onions/

this does look tasty.

your pal,
blake

Jalapeno glut Wally Bedford Barbecue 6 13-09-2006 02:49 PM
glut of hazelnuts Argo General Cooking 4 04-10-2005 03:35 AM
Aubergines -> what to do with a glut?? June Recipes 2 21-07-2004 02:47 PM
Aubergines -> what to do with a glut?? June Vegetarian cooking 6 15-07-2004 07:04 PM
Cal prices up, glut down Thomas Curmudgeon Wine 3 28-01-2004 06:55 PM