Argo

Default glut of hazelnuts

This year has yielded a bumper crop of hazelnuts in my garden. I'd like
to make hazelnut butter (which is awesome - I've made it before) but
I'm only able to make small amounts at any one time. I just get too
tired of cracking the nuts by hand.

My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
looking for something that a manufacturer would use - but something a
step up from a vice-type hand cracker.

Thanks for any tips.

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com
(a science fantasy)

Del Cecchi

Argo wrote:
> This year has yielded a bumper crop of hazelnuts in my garden. I'd like
> to make hazelnut butter (which is awesome - I've made it before) but
> I'm only able to make small amounts at any one time. I just get too
> tired of cracking the nuts by hand.
>
> My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
> cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
> looking for something that a manufacturer would use - but something a
> step up from a vice-type hand cracker.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Argo
> http://greenrealm.blogspot.com
> (a science fantasy)

How about a pair of vice grips?

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Nancy1

Argo wrote:
> This year has yielded a bumper crop of hazelnuts in my garden. I'd like
> to make hazelnut butter (which is awesome - I've made it before) but
> I'm only able to make small amounts at any one time. I just get too
> tired of cracking the nuts by hand.
>
> My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
> cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
> looking for something that a manufacturer would use - but something a
> step up from a vice-type hand cracker.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Argo
> http://greenrealm.blogspot.com
> (a science fantasy)

Around here, people crack the outer shells of walnuts by laying them
out on concrete and driving over them.

Hazelnuts are a lot smaller, so you'd have to have a piece of plywood
or something similar on top of the nuts before driving over them;
otherwise, they'd just stick in the tires.

Put down a big sheet of food-o.k. plastic on the driveway; spread the
hazelnuts out in a single layer - put a piece of plywood on top and
drive over it slowly. It might work pretty well, especially if you
don't need the nuts in whole pieces, and it certainly couldn't hurt to
try it. ;-) You could also do the plastic bag/meat pounder or hammer
thing, too, to crack the shells.

(I'm so allergic - these are the nuts that will kill me one day - that
it makes me itch just to talk about it!)

N.

Sheldon

Argo wrote:
> This year has yielded a bumper crop of hazelnuts in my garden. I'd like
> to make hazelnut butter (which is awesome - I've made it before) but
> I'm only able to make small amounts at any one time. I just get too
> tired of cracking the nuts by hand.
>
> My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
> cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
> looking for something that a manufacturer would use - but something a
> step up from a vice-type hand cracker.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/sear...rd=nut+cracker

http://tinyurl.com/5m5th

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Del Cecchi > wrote:

> Argo wrote:
> > This year has yielded a bumper crop of hazelnuts in my garden. I'd like
> > to make hazelnut butter (which is awesome - I've made it before) but
> > I'm only able to make small amounts at any one time. I just get too
> > tired of cracking the nuts by hand.
> >
> > My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
> > cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
> > looking for something that a manufacturer would use - but something a
> > step up from a vice-type hand cracker.
> >
> > Thanks for any tips.
> >
> > Argo
> > http://greenrealm.blogspot.com
> > (a science fantasy)
> >

> How about a pair of vice grips?

I sent them some links on another list for inertia nut crackers.

They really do work. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Asparagus glut. James Silverton[_3_] General Cooking 1 20-04-2012 07:01 PM
A glut of avocados... ChattyCathy General Cooking 73 19-09-2008 01:35 PM
Jalapeno glut Wally Bedford Barbecue 6 13-09-2006 02:49 PM
Melon glut David Hare-Scott Preserving 9 03-01-2006 12:04 AM
Hazelnuts Taemon Vegan 0 03-11-2005 03:11 PM