Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Pastry Class

Koko will likely weigh in shortly about the pastry class we took last
night, complete with photos, but my take can be summed up in two
words: a *blast*! Our chef, Maurice Brazier (complete with
occasionally-hard-to-understand French accent), was a treat. Laguna
Culinary Arts is located in Laguna Canyon in Laguna Beach, somewhat
tucked away by the Pageant of the Masters. It has a cheese
shop/cafe/wine shop attached and I really need to go back and have
another look at their cheese selection.

Koko and I got there just as Chef was unpacking his car. We introduced
ourselves and he suggested we get a bottle of wine "for later at
dinner." We weren't quite sure what "dinner" would be, but far be it
from us to question Chef! We bought a nice cabernet/syrah and had a
wee glass before class to get us in the proper mood for French
cooking.

In the space of 3 1/2 hours we made: pate brisee sucree, pear-almond
tart, choux coffee cream, creme patissiere and a puff pastry apple
tart. Chef surprised us by using room temperature butter to
incorporate into the flour, and he also showed us a technique for
doing the incorporation that did not include a pastry blender and was
faster and incorporated the butter far better. He kneaded the butter
in until it was fairly well distributed, then using something of a
"dusting hands" motion, brisky rubbed the butter-flour mixture through
his hands repeatedly until you could barely tell there was any butter
in the flour. The second surprise was not chilling the dough. He just
let it rest at room temperature for 20 mins. If I took nothing else
away from this class, the "dusting hands" technique of incorporating
butter into flour, using room temperature butter and not chilling the
dough was worth the price of admission. No more working myself to
death to cut in the butter or roll out stiff dough. And I can also
testify that, especially as to the pear-almond tart, we were yanking
the dough around pretty actively without a tear anywhere.

Chef had a sous chef who was a delight and gave us a couple of tips of
her own. One that I'm going to use immediately had nothing to do with
technique: Trader Joe's has frozen croissant dough that you can let
rise and rest overnight in your refrigerator and makes spectacular
(according to her) croissants. Yes, ma'am!! Also has chocolate
croissants, but that does not appeal.

At the conclusion of the evening, Chef plated everything we'd made and
we moved into a dining area that was beautifully laid with china and
crystal and a buffet of our desserts. I was also pleased to see that
Chef included at the table his sous chef and the two kitchen cleaners
who had been doing a yeoman's effort all evening. Koko and I had a
glass of wine apiece, and Chef didn't need his arm twisted to accept a
glass himself.

One amusing aside: the 2-person "team" across the table from us were
two twenty-something women, one of whom seemed to think a cooking
class in Laguna Beach was something of a formal occasion, as she wore
a skirt and high heels.

Terrific evening after a fun day of running up and down Pacific Coast
Highway with Koko, hitting all the various cookery stores. We both
collapsed when we got home!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-18, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> in until it was fairly well distributed, then using something of a
> "dusting hands" motion, brisky rubbed the butter-flour mixture through
> his hands repeatedly until you could barely tell there was any butter
> in the flour. The second surprise was not chilling the dough. He just
> let it rest at room temperature for 20 mins. If I took nothing else
> away from this class, the "dusting hands" technique of incorporating
> butter into flour, using room temperature butter and not chilling the
> dough was worth the price of admission. No more working myself to
> death to cut in the butter or roll out stiff dough. And I can also
> testify that, especially as to the pear-almond tart, we were yanking
> the dough around pretty actively without a tear anywhere.

I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
seriously detailed photos and instructions. I'm still wrestling with
pathetic pie dough technique. If either of you have a video camera,
I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 10:48*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-05-18, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
> > in until it was fairly well distributed, then using something of a
> > "dusting hands" motion, brisky rubbed the butter-flour mixture through
> > his hands repeatedly until you could barely tell there was any butter
> > in the flour. The second surprise was not chilling the dough. He just
> > let it rest at room temperature for 20 mins. If I took nothing else
> > away from this class, the "dusting hands" technique of incorporating
> > butter into flour, using room temperature butter and not chilling the
> > dough was worth the price of admission. No more working myself to
> > death to cut in the butter or roll out stiff dough. And I can also
> > testify that, especially as to the pear-almond tart, we were yanking
> > the dough around pretty actively without a tear anywhere.

> I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
> seriously detailed photos and instructions. *I'm still wrestling with
> pathetic pie dough technique. *If either of you have a video camera,
> I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video. *
>
> nb

This is pate sucre tho if I am understanding correctly- different than
pie dough...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2011 17:48:06 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2011-05-18, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> in until it was fairly well distributed, then using something of a
>> "dusting hands" motion, brisky rubbed the butter-flour mixture through
>> his hands repeatedly until you could barely tell there was any butter
>> in the flour. The second surprise was not chilling the dough. He just
>> let it rest at room temperature for 20 mins. If I took nothing else
>> away from this class, the "dusting hands" technique of incorporating
>> butter into flour, using room temperature butter and not chilling the
>> dough was worth the price of admission. No more working myself to
>> death to cut in the butter or roll out stiff dough. And I can also
>> testify that, especially as to the pear-almond tart, we were yanking
>> the dough around pretty actively without a tear anywhere.

> I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
> seriously detailed photos and instructions. I'm still wrestling with
> pathetic pie dough technique. If either of you have a video camera,
> I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video.
>
> nb

i thought you were having good success for a while there?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> .

He kneaded the butter
> in until it was fairly well distributed, then using something of a
> "dusting hands" motion, brisky rubbed the butter-flour mixture through
> his hands repeatedly until you could barely tell there was any butter
> in the flour. The second surprise was not chilling the dough. He just
> let it rest at room temperature for 20 mins.

My Mum made her pastry that way and she was a superb pastry cook.

BTW, you lucky sod!!! I'm thoroughly jealous!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:59:19 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> Trader Joe's has frozen croissant dough that you can let
> rise and rest overnight in your refrigerator and makes spectacular
> (according to her) croissants.

I had no idea! Will look for it, thanks.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2011 17:48:06 GMT, notbob > arranged
random neurons and said:

>I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
>seriously detailed photos and instructions. I'm still wrestling with
>pathetic pie dough technique. If either of you have a video camera,
>I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video.

Koko's the one with the blog, but I know she plans on putting up a lot
of photos of the pastry class. As to a video, I wish we'd had one
because it's hard to create a word picture of the flour and butter
incorporation technique. And I forgot to mention another technique
that differed from the traditional method I learned: He uses a pastry
scraper to "smear" the incorporated dough rather than his hands. I'm
hoping Koko got a couple of photos of this, as it's a technique you
have to see to "get."

Anyway you look at it, it was a fun and well spent 3 1/2 hours.

And for those who don't know where Koko's blog is:

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycorner/

Stay tuned, as she has to sort through a LOT of photos!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-19, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Stay tuned, as she has to sort through a LOT of photos!

Thanks, Terry. Glad you both found the class so satisfying and
worthwhile.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:20:53 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On 18 May 2011 17:48:06 GMT, notbob > arranged
>random neurons and said:
>>
>>I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
>>seriously detailed photos and instructions. I'm still wrestling with
>>pathetic pie dough technique. If either of you have a video camera,
>>I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video.

>Koko's the one with the blog, but I know she plans on putting up a lot
>of photos of the pastry class. As to a video, I wish we'd had one
>because it's hard to create a word picture of the flour and butter
>incorporation technique. And I forgot to mention another technique
>that differed from the traditional method I learned: He uses a pastry
>scraper to "smear" the incorporated dough rather than his hands. I'm
>hoping Koko got a couple of photos of this, as it's a technique you
>have to see to "get."
>
>Anyway you look at it, it was a fun and well spent 3 1/2 hours.
>
>And for those who don't know where Koko's blog is:
>
>http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycorner/
>
>Stay tuned, as she has to sort through a LOT of photos!
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Yes, I got photos of the flour and butter incorporation and using the
pastry scraper to smear the dough.
I should have the photos up tomorrow night.
I need to spend extra time doing the Wii fit after eating those
delicious pastries.

That class was so wonderful. Chef Maurice is a great instructor and
the assisting chef, Chef Gina is very knowledgeable and helpful also.
I can't wait to take another class there. I'd like to take a braising
class and a sauce class. If you take 5 classes, and you have a year in
which to take them, your 6th class is free.
One down and 4 to go.

A couple of our classmates were ummm...interesting, even more so than
the father daughter duo at our last pastry class.

I'm shooting to get the blog post up tomorrow night. I did take a
little nap today. I'm trying to catch up on some of the sleep I missed
last night by staying up until 1:30 talking, laughing and drinking
with Squeaks, but oh, what fun!!!!

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:20:53 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On 18 May 2011 17:48:06 GMT, notbob > arranged
>random neurons and said:
>>
>>I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
>>seriously detailed photos and instructions. I'm still wrestling with
>>pathetic pie dough technique. If either of you have a video camera,
>>I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video.

>Koko's the one with the blog, but I know she plans on putting up a lot
>of photos of the pastry class. As to a video, I wish we'd had one
>because it's hard to create a word picture of the flour and butter
>incorporation technique. And I forgot to mention another technique
>that differed from the traditional method I learned: He uses a pastry
>scraper to "smear" the incorporated dough rather than his hands. I'm
>hoping Koko got a couple of photos of this, as it's a technique you
>have to see to "get."

Fraisage. Some folks use a scraper, some use the hands. Hand video is
he

http://www.whiskblog.com/2010/03/app...-fraisage.html

Photos with scraper are he

http://havekniveswillcook.com/kitche...with-fraisage/

You guys are having so much fun. I am jealous.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 May 2011 05:39:23 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:20:53 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>>On 18 May 2011 17:48:06 GMT, notbob > arranged
>>random neurons and said:
>>>
>>>I hope we can eventually see these techniques on you blog with
>>>seriously detailed photos and instructions. I'm still wrestling with
>>>pathetic pie dough technique. If either of you have a video camera,
>>>I'm sure no one would object to a youtube video.

>>Koko's the one with the blog, but I know she plans on putting up a lot
>>of photos of the pastry class. As to a video, I wish we'd had one
>>because it's hard to create a word picture of the flour and butter
>>incorporation technique. And I forgot to mention another technique
>>that differed from the traditional method I learned: He uses a pastry
>>scraper to "smear" the incorporated dough rather than his hands. I'm
>>hoping Koko got a couple of photos of this, as it's a technique you
>>have to see to "get."

>Fraisage. Some folks use a scraper, some use the hands. Hand video is
>he
>
>http://www.whiskblog.com/2010/03/app...-fraisage.html

Yes, I'm familiar with smearing with the hands.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ain-.html#more

or
http://tinyurl.com/3grkw5v

It's the scraper technique I never heard of. Not sure yet which method
I prefer.

>Photos with scraper are he
>
>http://havekniveswillcook.com/kitche...with-fraisage/
>
>You guys are having so much fun. I am jealous.

Squeaks is wayyy too much fun, attending classes with her is a hoot.

>Boron

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:59:19 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Koko will likely weigh in shortly about the pastry class we took last
>night, complete with photos, but my take can be summed up in two
>words: a *blast*!

I just now got the post up on my blog. I posted the photos with brief
descriptions about what went on. I'll be posting the recipes with step
by step photos starting probably next week.

Yes it was a blast to say the least.
One thing that strikes me is how easily Squeaks and I work together in
the kitchen, we just seem to fall into it naturally and work around
each other effortlessly, that is what helps make it the *blast* it is.
Here's what we did.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...nary-arts.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/3ubfo3g

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Yes it was a blast to say the least.
> One thing that strikes me is how easily Squeaks and I work together in
> the kitchen, we just seem to fall into it naturally and work around
> each other effortlessly, that is what helps make it the *blast* it is.
> Here's what we did.

That says a lot about both of you. I think kitchen mates are not made in
Heaven, but it takes some effort to be the sort of team member who is a plus
and not a hurdle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 May 2011 13:11:17 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-05-21, > wrote:
>
>> I just now got the post up on my blog. I posted the photos with brief
>> descriptions about what went on. I'll be posting the recipes with step
>> by step photos starting probably next week.

>Just great, Koko! The pictures are well planned and executed, no
>doubt difficult while still working on your pastries.

Thanks nb. It was really nice that Chef Gina was more than willing to
help with the photography.

>I'm so glad to hear about the room temp butter thing. The more I keep learning about
>pie crusts, the more that whole ice cold butter/dough myth irks me.

>I'd love to hear details about your pastry cream recipe. Did you use
>gelatin? I'll be watching your blog for updates.

No we didn't use gelatin, we cooked and stirred the heck out of it.

I had a hard time keeping a straight face when the girl next to me
couldn't figure out why her cream was not cooking, ummmm, turn on the
stove? And it wasn't even one of the two we nicknamed Buffy and Muffy.
Three gusses as to who they are ;-)

>I so miss the cooking classes I use to attend at Draeger's in Palo
>Alto CA. We didn't cook, ourselves, but they were small sessions of
>no more than cpl doz ppl and even the last row was within normal
>conversation distance of the chef.

We were hoping it would be a good class.
I think in the back of our minds we were preparing ourselves to be
disappointed, but we decided that no matter what we came away with
we'd be that much better than when we went in.
It was way beyond our wildest expectations.

>Also, this was back in the day
>before MADD hepped the legal establishment to the potential cash flow
>from the whole DUI scam and excellent free wine was endless throughout
>the 3-4 hr lessons. By the end of each lesson, total strangers were
>nicely lubricated and new found friends with each other and the chef,
>many of some renown (Jerimiah Tower, Gary Danko, etc). I still make
>many of the dishes I learned in those memorable classes.

Chef is the one that suggested we buy a bottle of wine for the
evening. No, we didn't drink during class but it sure was nice to have
a glass after class while relaxing and eating our pastries. We had a
cab/syrah and it was pretty darned good.

>Keep us posted about more classes!

Will do, thanks.

>nb

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeaks wrote:

> I forgot to mention another technique that differed from the traditional
> method I learned: He uses a pastry scraper to "smear" the incorporated
> dough rather than his hands. I'm hoping Koko got a couple of photos of
> this, as it's a technique you have to see to "get."

Bob Pastorio posted about that once, though Google is having a hard time
finding the post. I've seen the technique demonstrated on TV, though I can't
remember exactly who did the demonstration; I think it was Anne Burrell in
one of the episodes of "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 01:26:21 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Squeaks wrote:
>
> > I forgot to mention another technique that differed from the traditional
> > method I learned: He uses a pastry scraper to "smear" the incorporated
> > dough rather than his hands. I'm hoping Koko got a couple of photos of
> > this, as it's a technique you have to see to "get."

> Bob Pastorio posted about that once, though Google is having a hard time
> finding the post. I've seen the technique demonstrated on TV, though I can't
> remember exactly who did the demonstration; I think it was Anne Burrell in
> one of the episodes of "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef."

Anne Burrell likes to use the heel of her hand, so I wouldn't be
surprised if she demonstrated that method too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:14:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 01:26:21 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>
>> Squeaks wrote:
>>
>> > I forgot to mention another technique that differed from the traditional
>> > method I learned: He uses a pastry scraper to "smear" the incorporated
>> > dough rather than his hands. I'm hoping Koko got a couple of photos of
>> > this, as it's a technique you have to see to "get."

>> Bob Pastorio posted about that once, though Google is having a hard time
>> finding the post. I've seen the technique demonstrated on TV, though I can't
>> remember exactly who did the demonstration; I think it was Anne Burrell in
>> one of the episodes of "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef."
>>

>Anne Burrell likes to use the heel of her hand, so I wouldn't be
>surprised if she demonstrated that method too.

The only way I've ever done it before was using the heel of my hand to
"smear" the dough. Since the pastry class I use the bench scraper,
much easier, neater and faster.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Class pastry recipe Genevieve Baking 4 31-05-2011 01:58 PM
Saturday's Pastry Class koko General Cooking 10 12-10-2010 01:28 AM
Bread and pastry 'hands-on' class at Chatsworth House Farm Shop Doug Weller General Cooking 0 31-10-2007 06:46 PM
First-class Bad Butter Radium[_2_] Cooking Equipment 11 01-05-2007 03:15 PM
bread class dan w Sourdough 2 16-01-2007 09:08 PM