Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Packaged Crushed Tomatoes - Cooked?

When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from Italy, we
buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not, but then again,
all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few minutes and it's a
great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be cooked.

Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package tomatoes,
tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?

TIA.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from Italy, we
> buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not, but then again,
> all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few minutes and it's a
> great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be cooked.
>
> Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package tomatoes,
> tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?

All canned/preserved tomatoes are cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides > wrote:

>When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from Italy, we
>buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not, but then again,
>all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few minutes and it's a
>great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be cooked.
>
>Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package tomatoes,
>tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?

Yes, otherwise they would rot.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from Italy, we
> buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not, but then again,
> all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few minutes and it's a
> great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be cooked.
>
> Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package tomatoes,
> tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?
>
> TIA.
>
> -S-

Are you familiar with uncooked tomato sauce? Seasoned with garlic,
green onions, shallots, capers, lemon juice, anchovy etc. and tossed
with fresh hot pasta?

Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 10 seconds if desired, then
immediately immerse in cold water and quickly peel the tomatoes then
crush or use a food processor to chop, then season and toss with the
hot pasta.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:30:24 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

>Steve Freides wrote:
>> When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from Italy, we
>> buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not, but then again,
>> all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few minutes and it's a
>> great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be cooked.
>>
>> Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package tomatoes,
>> tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> -S-
>>

>Are you familiar with uncooked tomato sauce? Seasoned with garlic,
>green onions, shallots, capers, lemon juice, anchovy etc. and tossed
>with fresh hot pasta?
>
>Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 10 seconds if desired, then
>immediately immerse in cold water and quickly peel the tomatoes then
>crush or use a food processor to chop, then season and toss with the
>hot pasta.

That's salsa verde... lousy if not seeded too. But canned tomatoes
are cooked, minimally, enough to prevent spoilage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:30:24 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
> wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>> When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from
>>> Italy, we buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not,
>>> but then again, all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few
>>> minutes and it's a great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be
>>> cooked.
>>>
>>> Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package
>>> tomatoes, tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> -S-
>>>

>> Are you familiar with uncooked tomato sauce? Seasoned with garlic,
>> green onions, shallots, capers, lemon juice, anchovy etc. and tossed
>> with fresh hot pasta?
>>
>> Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 10 seconds if desired, then
>> immediately immerse in cold water and quickly peel the tomatoes then
>> crush or use a food processor to chop, then season and toss with the
>> hot pasta.

> That's salsa verde... lousy if not seeded too. But canned tomatoes
> are cooked, minimally, enough to prevent spoilage.

What we get comes in a cardbiard box but it's the same as canned (minus
the taste of the can, says my wife).

Thank you, everyone.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:41:39 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:30:24 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
>> wrote:

>>> Are you familiar with uncooked tomato sauce? Seasoned with garlic,
>>> green onions, shallots, capers, lemon juice, anchovy etc. and tossed
>>> with fresh hot pasta?
>>>
>>> Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 10 seconds if desired, then
>>> immediately immerse in cold water and quickly peel the tomatoes then
>>> crush or use a food processor to chop, then season and toss with the
>>> hot pasta.

>> That's salsa verde... lousy if not seeded too. But canned tomatoes
>> are cooked, minimally, enough to prevent spoilage.

>What we get comes in a cardbiard box but it's the same as canned (minus
>the taste of the can, says my wife).

Vivid imagination, the cartons are coated with plastic same as cans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-16, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Vivid imagination, the cartons are coated with plastic same as cans.

No knowledge.... cans may be lined with plastic, but are not coated.

--
vi is the root of evil
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 8:53*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-05-16, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> > Vivid imagination, the cartons are coated with plastic same as cans.

> No knowledge.... cans may be lined with plastic, but are not coated.

What do you mean? cans are coated. Formerly with a lacquer, now often
with plastic. The plastics we call paint -- vinyl, acrylic, urethane
-- are all coatings.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/15/2011 11:31 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> When we buy a box of crushed tomatoes - Pomi brand, comes from Italy, we
> buy at Fairways - are they cooked? I just assumed not, but then again,
> all we do is add some seasoning and warm for a few minutes and it's a
> great sauce, so I get the feeling they must be cooked.
>
> Is there a standard for such a thing, e.g., are _any_ package tomatoes,
> tomatoe paste, crushed tomatoes, etc., all cooked?
>
> TIA.

Things have to be heated to be safely canned (boxed), so yes, they're
cooked.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com