Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thin sliced chicken - for Chinese Dishes

I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
spinach.

I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
hot dog to make little round slices i.e. knife is perpendicular to
the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.

Help!

Joel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 4:31*pm, joelpk > wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
> breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
> spinach.
>
> I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
> hot dog to make little round slices * i.e. knife is perpendicular to
> the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.
>
> Help!

Is your knife as sharp as theirs?

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:

> On May 2, 4:31�pm, joelpk > wrote:
>
>>I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
>>breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
>>spinach.
>>
>>I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
>>hot dog to make little round slices � i.e. knife is perpendicular to
>>the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.
>>
>>Help!

> Is your knife as sharp as theirs?
>

> Jerry

You beat me to the obvious Jerry

I thin slice raw chicken for stir fry but prefer to poach chicken breast
for salad and then, when fully cooked, cut into medium dice for
marinating and serving with a green salad.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Probably not, but what I feel is different is that the resturaunts
chicken pieces has lines running on the flat side, sort of like the
slices were from the cutting in the other direction

> Is your knife as sharp as theirs?
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"joelpk" wrote in message

I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
spinach.

I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
hot dog to make little round slices i.e. knife is perpendicular to
the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.

Help!

Joel

--------------

Put the chicken breast in the freezer until slightly frozen then slice it.

Stormy..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> On May 2, 4:31 pm, joelpk > wrote:
>> I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
>> breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
>> spinach.
>>
>> I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
>> hot dog to make little round slices i.e. knife is perpendicular to
>> the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.
>>
>> Help!

> Is your knife as sharp as theirs?
>

> Jerry
> --

Partially freeze the chicken; it's much easier to slice into thin strips.

Walnut-sesame Chicken Strips

2 whole chicken breasts, halved
1 c. finely chopped walnuts
1 c. sesame seeds
2 egg whites
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. sherry
4 c. vegetable oil

Place chicken on foil-lined baking sheet and partially freeze for 30
minutes. Slice paper-thin. In a pie pan, combine nuts with sesame seeds.
Combine egg whites, cornstarch, milk, salt and sugar in a small bowl. Stir
to make a stiff batter. Add sherry and stir until blended.

Dip chicken strips into batter, then roll in sesame/nut mixture to coat.
Place on baking sheet in single layer and let 'set' for about 30 minutes.
Heat oil in deep skillet or wok to 300 degrees. Fry chicken strips 4-5
minutes, until golden brown. Drain well and serve immediately.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 17:25:07 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

snip

>Partially freeze the chicken; it's much easier to slice into thin strips.
>
>Walnut-sesame Chicken Strips
>
>2 whole chicken breasts, halved
>1 c. finely chopped walnuts
>1 c. sesame seeds
>2 egg whites
>1/4 c. milk
>1/4 c. cornstarch
>2 tsp. salt
>1 tsp. sugar
>2 Tbs. sherry
>4 c. vegetable oil
>
>Place chicken on foil-lined baking sheet and partially freeze for 30
>minutes. Slice paper-thin. In a pie pan, combine nuts with sesame seeds.
>Combine egg whites, cornstarch, milk, salt and sugar in a small bowl. Stir
>to make a stiff batter. Add sherry and stir until blended.
>
>Dip chicken strips into batter, then roll in sesame/nut mixture to coat.
>Place on baking sheet in single layer and let 'set' for about 30 minutes.
>Heat oil in deep skillet or wok to 300 degrees. Fry chicken strips 4-5
>minutes, until golden brown. Drain well and serve immediately.
>
>Jill

Jill, I've got a couple of questions. What is meant by whole chicken
breasts, halved. Is that the whole front end of the chicken, left and
right for one whole chicken breast? Or does it mean they way we
usually get the breasts at the store, which is either right or left
side? Then, are the slices made the length of the breast piece? I
think so because the recipe talks of chicken strips. Thanks for your
help. Sounds good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 2 May 2011 17:25:07 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>>

>>Partially freeze the chicken; it's much easier to slice into thin strips.
>>
>>Walnut-sesame Chicken Strips
>>
>>2 whole chicken breasts, halved
>>1 c. finely chopped walnuts
>>1 c. sesame seeds
>>2 egg whites
>>1/4 c. milk
>>1/4 c. cornstarch
>>2 tsp. salt
>>1 tsp. sugar
>>2 Tbs. sherry
>>4 c. vegetable oil
>>
>>Place chicken on foil-lined baking sheet and partially freeze for 30
>>minutes. Slice paper-thin. In a pie pan, combine nuts with sesame seeds.
>>Combine egg whites, cornstarch, milk, salt and sugar in a small bowl.
>>Stir
>>to make a stiff batter. Add sherry and stir until blended.
>>
>>Dip chicken strips into batter, then roll in sesame/nut mixture to coat.
>>Place on baking sheet in single layer and let 'set' for about 30 minutes.
>>Heat oil in deep skillet or wok to 300 degrees. Fry chicken strips 4-5
>>minutes, until golden brown. Drain well and serve immediately.
>>
>>Jill

> Jill, I've got a couple of questions. What is meant by whole chicken
> breasts, halved. Is that the whole front end of the chicken, left and
> right for one whole chicken breast? Or does it mean they way we
> usually get the breasts at the store, which is either right or left
> side? Then, are the slices made the length of the breast piece? I
> think so because the recipe talks of chicken strips. Thanks for your
> help. Sounds good.
> Janet US

Mom got this recipe when we lived in Bangkok so I'm guessing things were
sold a bit differently there. Whole chicken breasts are not the way I find
them at the grocery store. They're usually breast halves. I don't know
right or left LOL How about 4 chicken breasts (which are breast halves) in
todays terms? Yes, the slices are made the length of the breast. This
recipe is very rich, given the walnuts and the sesame seeds. Delicious!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 20:45:01 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Mon, 2 May 2011 17:25:07 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>>
>>>Partially freeze the chicken; it's much easier to slice into thin strips.
>>>
>>>Walnut-sesame Chicken Strips
>>>
>>>2 whole chicken breasts, halved
>>>1 c. finely chopped walnuts
>>>1 c. sesame seeds
>>>2 egg whites
>>>1/4 c. milk
>>>1/4 c. cornstarch
>>>2 tsp. salt
>>>1 tsp. sugar
>>>2 Tbs. sherry
>>>4 c. vegetable oil
>>>
>>>Place chicken on foil-lined baking sheet and partially freeze for 30
>>>minutes. Slice paper-thin. In a pie pan, combine nuts with sesame seeds.
>>>Combine egg whites, cornstarch, milk, salt and sugar in a small bowl.
>>>Stir
>>>to make a stiff batter. Add sherry and stir until blended.
>>>
>>>Dip chicken strips into batter, then roll in sesame/nut mixture to coat.
>>>Place on baking sheet in single layer and let 'set' for about 30 minutes.
>>>Heat oil in deep skillet or wok to 300 degrees. Fry chicken strips 4-5
>>>minutes, until golden brown. Drain well and serve immediately.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> Jill, I've got a couple of questions. What is meant by whole chicken
>> breasts, halved. Is that the whole front end of the chicken, left and
>> right for one whole chicken breast? Or does it mean they way we
>> usually get the breasts at the store, which is either right or left
>> side? Then, are the slices made the length of the breast piece? I
>> think so because the recipe talks of chicken strips. Thanks for your
>> help. Sounds good.
>> Janet US

>Mom got this recipe when we lived in Bangkok so I'm guessing things were
>sold a bit differently there. Whole chicken breasts are not the way I find
>them at the grocery store. They're usually breast halves. I don't know
>right or left LOL How about 4 chicken breasts (which are breast halves) in
>todays terms? Yes, the slices are made the length of the breast. This
>recipe is very rich, given the walnuts and the sesame seeds. Delicious!
>
>Jill

Thanks, saved and planned for.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Mon, 2 May 2011 20:45:01 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>news >>
>>>On Mon, 2 May 2011 17:25:07 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>snip

>>Mom got this recipe when we lived in Bangkok so I'm guessing things were
>>sold a bit differently there. Whole chicken breasts are not the way I find
>>them at the grocery store. They're usually breast halves. I don't know
>>right or left LOL How about 4 chicken breasts (which are breast halves) in
>>todays terms? Yes, the slices are made the length of the breast. This
>>recipe is very rich, given the walnuts and the sesame seeds. Delicious!
>>
>>Jill

> Thanks, saved and planned for.
> Janet US

I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.

The only reason i can think of for making the slices so thin would be
for the sake of using the thin sliced chicken more as a flavour than a
primary ingredient.

Perhaps in a culture or society were meat is expensive and/or less
commonly used than it is in the modern west then it would be a way to
make a small amount of chicken go a long way.

I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
an inch thick.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:12:01 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:
snip

>I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.
>
>The only reason i can think of for making the slices so thin would be
>for the sake of using the thin sliced chicken more as a flavour than a
>primary ingredient.
>
>Perhaps in a culture or society were meat is expensive and/or less
>commonly used than it is in the modern west then it would be a way to
>make a small amount of chicken go a long way.
>
>I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
>an inch thick.

I've always thought of Asian dishes as flavored with meat or fish. The
meat is not the main player. I have no knowledge that supports that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:12:01 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
> wrote:
> snip
>
>>I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.
>>
>>The only reason i can think of for making the slices so thin would be
>>for the sake of using the thin sliced chicken more as a flavour than a
>>primary ingredient.
>>
>>Perhaps in a culture or society were meat is expensive and/or less
>>commonly used than it is in the modern west then it would be a way to
>>make a small amount of chicken go a long way.
>>
>>I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
>>an inch thick.

> I've always thought of Asian dishes as flavored with meat or fish. The
> meat is not the main player. I have no knowledge that supports that.
> Janet US

I have read similar ideas as regards much of Asian cuisine's, from the
most humble to the most exalted.

And from my own experience, fish or seafood in various forms make an
excellent seasoning.

I simply adore cooking with a freshly made fish stock and i keep a tube
of anchovy paste to supplement the occasional oil packed fillets i
purchase to use to season a specific dish.

One of my top ten favourite foods is a ground chicken and shrimp meat
ball, i originally got the recipe from a Korean source.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:22:50 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

>One of my top ten favourite foods is a ground chicken and shrimp meat
>ball, i originally got the recipe from a Korean source.

I would love to have that recipe if you'd like to post it.

TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 1:31*pm, joelpk > wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
> breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
> spinach.
>
> I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
> hot dog to make little round slices * i.e. knife is perpendicular to
> the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.

Against the grain. You should be able to see the grain lines running
through the chicken breast. Cut the meat perpendicular to those
lines.

The grain runs different ways in different parts of the breast. I bone
the breast first, then pull out the separate muscle to slice on its
own. Being partly frozen (or mostly thawed) does make it easier to
slice thinly, which makes it faster to cook. Usually the chicken
marinates for some 20 minutes, so it has ample time to thaw
completely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 7:12*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 May 2011 20:45:01 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:

> >>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >>news

> >>Mom got this recipe when we lived in Bangkok so I'm guessing things were
> >>sold a bit differently there. *Whole chicken breasts are not the way I find
> >>them at the grocery store. *They're usually breast halves. *I don't know
> >>right or left LOL *How about 4 chicken breasts (which are breast halves) in
> >>todays terms? *Yes, the slices are made the length of the breast. *This
> >>recipe is very rich, given the walnuts and the sesame seeds. *Delicious!

> >>Jill

> > Thanks, saved and planned for. *
> > Janet US

> I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.
>
> The only reason i can think of for making the *slices so thin would be
> for the sake of using the thin sliced chicken more as a flavour than a
> primary ingredient.
>
> Perhaps in a culture or society were meat is expensive and/or less
> commonly used than it is in the modern west then it would be a *way to
> make a small amount of chicken go a long way.
>
> I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
> an inch thick.

Stir frying is a rapid cooking method. The thinner the meat the
shorter the time needed to cook it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:22:50 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
> wrote:
>

>>One of my top ten favourite foods is a ground chicken and shrimp meat
>>ball, i originally got the recipe from a Korean source.

> I would love to have that recipe if you'd like to post it.
>
> TIA

Much as the wannabe writer in me would like to embroider an esoteric
back story for my possession of the recipe, how such a gem of culinary
delight came into my possession though obscure and prestigious
circumstance, i actually got it from the English subtitles of a Korean,
locally broadcast television Soap Opera/Mini-Seris

A traditional Korean tale of its 1400's Royal court.

About a Cook in the Palace.

Called "The Jewel in the Palace". as the first 2/3 of the 70 part
series takes place mainly in and around the Imperial Kitchens of the
Royal Palace it is not surprising a few hints might be picked up from
it. Based on traditional literature of Korea.

http://www.zoommovie.com/korean-dram...-1-70/dvd-1530

One particular episode concerns a sort of graduate theses a bunch of
apprentice cooks have to pass by preparing a dish worthy of the Emperor
of Korea.

The main character prepares these shrimp and chicken balls, using a
mortar and pestle to mash the shrimp and chicken, adding garlic, s & p,
as the basic meat mix, that is then separated into a number of
different amounts, and to some were added ginger and green onions, to
some were added a special vinegar, others had sesame oil and various
other spice combinations including some spice mixes that weren't
specified. The recipe, as such, is given as part of the dialogue of the
character while she is preparing it with help from her assistants,
theirs a sub plot concerning the vinegar (raspberry) & her real mother.

But from that it occurred to me to experiment and do a bit of research.

I prefer a chicken:shrimp ratio of about 40:60.

They can be poached in various stocks, or sauted or grilled and served
with various sauces.

Sometimes when i don't want to go to the work of grinding and seasoning
and making the little balls i just cut up raw, skinless, boneless
chicken breast meat into medium dice and add it to some butter and
garlic and cook till almost done then toss in some shelled & deveined
shrimp and saute till done with some small dice of green onion or shallot.

Finish with a good dollop of white wine and let reduce for a moment.
Serve over rice or noodles.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 3:31*pm, joelpk > wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
> breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
> spinach.
>
> I have tried slicing the breast by cutting as though I was cutting a
> hot dog to make little round slices * i.e. knife is perpendicular to
> the long side of the breast - but it never looks the same.
>
> Help!

Sharpen your knife.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 9:12*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:

> I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.
>
> The only reason i can think of for making the *slices so thin would be
> for the sake of using the thin sliced chicken more as a flavour than a
> primary ingredient.

Or, in a restaurant, trying to stretch the food costs....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On May 2, 7:12*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:

> > I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.

> > I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
> > an inch thick.

> Stir frying is a rapid cooking method. The thinner the meat the
> shorter the time needed to cook it.

This is not a stir fry recipe. It's deep fried. 4 cups of 300F oil.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article
> >,
> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>

>>On May 2, 7:12�pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:

>>>I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.

>>>I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
>>>an inch thick.

>>Stir frying is a rapid cooking method. The thinner the meat the
>>shorter the time needed to cook it.

> This is not a stir fry recipe. It's deep fried. 4 cups of 300F oil.

That actually makes more sense, chicken bacon

Crispy chicken.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
joelpk > wrote:

> Probably not, but what I feel is different is that the resturaunts
> chicken pieces has lines running on the flat side, sort of like the
> slices were from the cutting in the other direction

Why not ask the chef if you can watch while the chicken is being cut? I
bet (s)he'd be pleased.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 9:29*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> > On May 2, 7:12*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
> > > I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.
> > > I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
> > > an inch thick.

> > Stir frying is a rapid cooking method. The thinner the meat the
> > shorter the time needed to cook it.

> This is not a stir fry recipe. *It's deep fried. *4 cups of 300F oil.

My bad. I thought this was regarding the op:

"I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
spinach."

For deep frying, paper thin slices require less oil, but more time
spent frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:31:08 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, joelpk
> wrote,
>I am trying to figure out how Chinese restaurants slice chicken
>breasts for dishes such as chicken and mushrooms and chicken and
>spinach.

The way Ming Tsai does it - flat side of breast on the cutting
board, Chinese cleaver style knife held horizontal and just slightly
above the board, slice horizontally while pushing the meat with the
other hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>>>Stir frying is a rapid cooking method. The thinner the meat the
>>>shorter the time needed to cook it.

>> This is not a stir fry recipe. It's deep fried. 4 cups of 300F oil.
>>

> That actually makes more sense, chicken bacon
>
> Crispy chicken.
> --
> JL

Yes, it's crispy. And when the recipe says "paper thin" it actually means
about 1/4 inch thick slices. At least that's about the way I cut the
partially frozen chicken the last time I made it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Put the chicken breast in the freezer until slightly frozen then slice it.

Yes. I washed dishes in a Chinese restaurant for a year when in
college, and the cook told me it was much easier to slice beef and
chicken thin if it is partially frozen. I was not involved in any of
the food preparation other than washing Bok Choy and putting mustard
into those plastic To Go containers. One thing they did that was
really cool was every night after the supper rush was over (about 9PM)
everybody in the restaurant would sit down in the back and the cooks
would throw a meal together for us. Also, after the restaurant closed
and I clocked out, all the employees were allowed a free beer and we
sat around and drank a beer. Great place to work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 May 2011 21:25:34 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

>Landon wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:22:50 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>One of my top ten favourite foods is a ground chicken and shrimp meat
>>>ball, i originally got the recipe from a Korean source.

>> I would love to have that recipe if you'd like to post it.
>>
>> TIA

>Much as the wannabe writer in me would like to embroider an esoteric
>back story for my possession of the recipe, how such a gem of culinary
>delight came into my possession though obscure and prestigious
>circumstance, i actually got it from the English subtitles of a Korean,
>locally broadcast television Soap Opera/Mini-Seris
>
>A traditional Korean tale of its 1400's Royal court.
>
>About a Cook in the Palace.
>
>Called "The Jewel in the Palace". as the first 2/3 of the 70 part
>series takes place mainly in and around the Imperial Kitchens of the
>Royal Palace it is not surprising a few hints might be picked up from
>it. Based on traditional literature of Korea.
>
>http://www.zoommovie.com/korean-dram...-1-70/dvd-1530
>
>One particular episode concerns a sort of graduate theses a bunch of
>apprentice cooks have to pass by preparing a dish worthy of the Emperor
>of Korea.
>
>The main character prepares these shrimp and chicken balls, using a
>mortar and pestle to mash the shrimp and chicken, adding garlic, s & p,
> as the basic meat mix, that is then separated into a number of
>different amounts, and to some were added ginger and green onions, to
>some were added a special vinegar, others had sesame oil and various
>other spice combinations including some spice mixes that weren't
>specified. The recipe, as such, is given as part of the dialogue of the
>character while she is preparing it with help from her assistants,
>theirs a sub plot concerning the vinegar (raspberry) & her real mother.
>
>But from that it occurred to me to experiment and do a bit of research.
>
>I prefer a chicken:shrimp ratio of about 40:60.
>
>They can be poached in various stocks, or sauted or grilled and served
>with various sauces.
>
>Sometimes when i don't want to go to the work of grinding and seasoning
>and making the little balls i just cut up raw, skinless, boneless
>chicken breast meat into medium dice and add it to some butter and
>garlic and cook till almost done then toss in some shelled & deveined
>shrimp and saute till done with some small dice of green onion or shallot.
>
>Finish with a good dollop of white wine and let reduce for a moment.
>Serve over rice or noodles.

Thanks! It sounds like it could also be used as a "burger" of sorts.
It might even be good served that way as well.

I'm going to have to try that soon. I've been looking for a new taste
to enjoy. You may have just given it to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i could enjoy this if i could sub in scallops for the shrimp, Lee
"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Landon wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:22:50 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>One of my top ten favourite foods is a ground chicken and shrimp meat
>>>ball, i originally got the recipe from a Korean source.

>> I would love to have that recipe if you'd like to post it.
>>
>> TIA

> Much as the wannabe writer in me would like to embroider an esoteric back
> story for my possession of the recipe, how such a gem of culinary delight
> came into my possession though obscure and prestigious circumstance, i
> actually got it from the English subtitles of a Korean, locally broadcast
> television Soap Opera/Mini-Seris
>
> A traditional Korean tale of its 1400's Royal court.
>
> About a Cook in the Palace.
>
> Called "The Jewel in the Palace". as the first 2/3 of the 70 part series
> takes place mainly in and around the Imperial Kitchens of the Royal Palace
> it is not surprising a few hints might be picked up from it. Based on
> traditional literature of Korea.
>
> http://www.zoommovie.com/korean-dram...-1-70/dvd-1530
>
> One particular episode concerns a sort of graduate theses a bunch of
> apprentice cooks have to pass by preparing a dish worthy of the Emperor of
> Korea.
>
> The main character prepares these shrimp and chicken balls, using a mortar
> and pestle to mash the shrimp and chicken, adding garlic, s & p, as the
> basic meat mix, that is then separated into a number of different
> amounts, and to some were added ginger and green onions, to some were
> added a special vinegar, others had sesame oil and various other spice
> combinations including some spice mixes that weren't specified. The
> recipe, as such, is given as part of the dialogue of the character while
> she is preparing it with help from her assistants, theirs a sub plot
> concerning the vinegar (raspberry) & her real mother.
>
> But from that it occurred to me to experiment and do a bit of research.
>
> I prefer a chicken:shrimp ratio of about 40:60.
>
> They can be poached in various stocks, or sauted or grilled and served
> with various sauces.
>
> Sometimes when i don't want to go to the work of grinding and seasoning
> and making the little balls i just cut up raw, skinless, boneless chicken
> breast meat into medium dice and add it to some butter and garlic and
> cook till almost done then toss in some shelled & deveined shrimp and
> saute till done with some small dice of green onion or shallot.
>
> Finish with a good dollop of white wine and let reduce for a moment. Serve
> over rice or noodles.
> --
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote:

-snip-

I think I got this right-

-snip-
> [...]

-snip-

>I have a bit of trouble rationalizing the 'paper thin" slices of chicken.
>
>The only reason i can think of for making the slices so thin would be
>for the sake of using the thin sliced chicken more as a flavour than a
>primary ingredient.
>
>Perhaps in a culture or society were meat is expensive and/or less
>commonly used than it is in the modern west then it would be a way to
>make a small amount of chicken go a long way.

That may be part of the beginnings of it-- but, IMO, it is more about
texture and sauce/meat ratios. Chicken doesn't really taste like
all that much - it is the sauce that we're after.

>I would instinctually think to slice the chicken at least 1/4 - 1/2 of
>an inch thick.

Difference between potato salad and potato chips. Same main
ingredient-- *way* different result.

Especially if you're using a wok on a less-than-commercial sized
burner, you want to keep the pieces small enough to be altered
immediately by the heat. What you'll get with thick slices and a
not-hot-enough wok will most likely be tasty-- but it sure won't reach
its full potential.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:40:18 -0700 (PDT), joelpk >
wrote:

> Probably not, but what I feel is different is that the resturaunts
> chicken pieces has lines running on the flat side, sort of like the
> slices were from the cutting in the other direction

I have no idea what you're trying to ask, but Chinese restaurants cut
on the bias if that's the information you're looking for.
http://www.chow.com/food-news/55403/...ke-a-bias-cut/

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2011 06:20:13 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> i could enjoy this if i could sub in scallops for the shrimp, Lee

You could, but it wouldn't be the same.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 May 2011 13:43:18 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> It is easiest to cut meat thinly if it is partially or completely
> frozen. That's how I do it.

I keep my knives sharp and can cut my meat thinly that way.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

don't do shrimp, so will let it go, Lee
"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 06:20:13 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>> i could enjoy this if i could sub in scallops for the shrimp, Lee

> You could, but it wouldn't be the same.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "M. JL Esq." > wrote ...
>
>> Dan Abel wrote:

>>> This is not a stir fry recipe. It's deep fried. 4 cups of 300F oil.
>>>

>> That actually makes more sense, chicken bacon
>>
>> Crispy chicken.
>> --
>> JL

> Yes, it's crispy. And when the recipe says "paper thin" it actually
> means about 1/4 inch thick slices. At least that's about the way I cut
> the partially frozen chicken the last time I made it

When i read 'thin slice' i thought of deli sliced paper thin, pancetta
thin. Which i have used as a 'bourse' (un' petite) to fill with cheese
& herbs or other fillings and tie up with a sprig of green onion or
chive leaf and pan fry in a little hot oil till nicely browned.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon wrote:

> On Mon, 02 May 2011 21:25:34 -0700, "M. JL Esq."
> wrote:
>

>>Landon wrote:

>>>I would love to have that recipe if you'd like to post it.
>>>
>>>TIA

>>Called "The Jewel in the Palace". as the first 2/3 of the 70 part
>>series takes place mainly in and around the Imperial Kitchens of the
>>Royal Palace it is not surprising a few hints might be picked up from
>>it. Based on traditional literature of Korea.
>>
>>http://www.zoommovie.com/korean-dram...-1-70/dvd-1530
>>

>>The main character prepares these shrimp and chicken balls, using a
>>mortar and pestle to mash the shrimp and chicken, adding garlic, s & p,
>> as the basic meat mix, that is then separated into a number of
>>different amounts, and to some were added ginger and green onions, to
>>some were added a special vinegar, others had sesame oil and various
>>other spice combinations including some spice mixes that weren't
>>specified. The recipe, as such, is given as part of the dialogue of the
>>character while she is preparing it with help from her assistants,
>>theirs a sub plot concerning the vinegar (raspberry) & her real mother.

>>Sometimes when i don't want to go to the work of grinding and seasoning
>>and making the little balls i just cut up raw, skinless, boneless
>>chicken breast meat into medium dice and add it to some butter and
>>garlic and cook till almost done then toss in some shelled & deveined
>>shrimp and saute till done with some small dice of green onion or shallot.
>>
>>Finish with a good dollop of white wine and let reduce for a moment.
>>Serve over rice or noodles.

> Thanks! It sounds like it could also be used as a "burger" of sorts.
> It might even be good served that way as well.

Oh sure, when i grind shrimp i use small shrimp, fresh not frozen but i
have never been able to bring myself to grind up a lobster or even
langoustine or prawns

I generally don't like lamb but i do very much like a mixture of beef
and lamb a local eat a pitta place grinds from its leftover roast beef
and gyro lamb. But i don't know the specific spices they use to season it.

> I'm going to have to try that soon. I've been looking for a new taste
> to enjoy. You may have just given it to me.

There are many more examples that may be googled just by searching on
the ingredients + korea.

Have you ever used a fish stock in cooking?

There is a wealth of variations using seafood's to season dishes rather
than be the main component of them.

Clams, oyster, mussels all mix well with chicken, craw daddies or
ecrevisses (crawfish) also but a lot more tediously. Im very fond of
preserved anchovies and anchovy paste as a seasoning, which i discovered
accidentally when i was making a spaghetti sauce (putanesca) and eating
a baked potato at the same time

I measured some anchovy paste i had bought for the sauce with the spoon
i then had a bite of potato with, took me a long, full minute to
figure out how i produced the wonderful flavour produced by mixing the
leftover bit of anchovy on my spoon that i had measured it with and
then took a bite of potato with.

If you use canned salmon to make salmon cakes, a bit of anchovy paste
can do wonders for it. Takes what i consider an inedible product up to
the stage of acceptable food.

I have recently begun to use sea weed as a spice, slice it in into very
thin strips then dicing it and sprinkling into dishes, so far, so good,
but i have only made a few dishes this way.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Storrmmee wrote:

> i could enjoy this if i could sub in scallops for the shrimp, Lee

I wouldn't grind up scallops for it but a saute of diced or sliced
chicken and scallops would probly be good. However, it seems to me, and
im one of "those people" who dislike fish cause it taste so 'fishy"
that scallops are some of the most subtly flavoured of sea foods.

I have a Philippine recipe using yams and prawns im very fond of but you
could use scallops for that.

I was a bit schocked a few months ago to see preprocecssed, frozen,
microwavable versions of this Philippine dish appear in a local big box
stores freezer section. But it and its variations are very popular in
southeast Asia and the big box store i saw them in is just across the
street from a local Asian commercial district.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i would dice if i used it in this dish, i am not too fond of many ground
meats... except for meatloaf and hamburgers i prefer to do the chewing
myself, Lee
"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>
>> i could enjoy this if i could sub in scallops for the shrimp, Lee

> I wouldn't grind up scallops for it but a saute of diced or sliced chicken
> and scallops would probly be good. However, it seems to me, and im one of
> "those people" who dislike fish cause it taste so 'fishy" that scallops
> are some of the most subtly flavoured of sea foods.
>
> I have a Philippine recipe using yams and prawns im very fond of but you
> could use scallops for that.
>
> I was a bit schocked a few months ago to see preprocecssed, frozen,
> microwavable versions of this Philippine dish appear in a local big box
> stores freezer section. But it and its variations are very popular in
> southeast Asia and the big box store i saw them in is just across the
> street from a local Asian commercial district.
> --
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stormmee! - Thin sliced chicken - for Chinese Dishes

Storrmmee wrote:

> i would dice if i used it in this dish, i am not too fond of many ground
> meats... except for meatloaf and hamburgers i prefer to do the chewing
> myself, Lee

Lee:

While i understand and agree with what you say, which is one of the
reasons im not a big fan of soup, there is, nevertheless, something to
be said for being able to thoroughly season and thus flavor the ground
meats in ways not possible to whole or even cut up pieces of meat.

The cut up chicken and shrimp sauted in butter, garlic and white wine is
very good. But IMO the ground chicken and shrimp is even better in that
it is capable of a much greater range of variations in seasoning and
cooking than the cut up version.

A friend of mine made some with me the other day and she added a tbs. or
2 of honey to a batch she made, they were very good, slightly
caramelized on the surface, a slight crispiness to them.

I meant to make some notes after but didn't, she just used, iirc, a
tiny bit of mashed garlic, a tsp. of white vinegar, a few drops of hot
sauce (Louisiana style "Red Rooster") and the honey, which was some sort
of local, home made, free range, farm raised, organic, certified and no
doubt bonded and insured by Lloyd's of London "PURE" honey

I was a little bit surprised she didn't drag the whole hive over or at
least a honeycomb!
--
JL

> "M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
>
>>Storrmmee wrote:
>>

>>>i could enjoy this if i could sub in scallops for the shrimp, Lee

>>I wouldn't grind up scallops for it but a saute of diced or sliced chicken
>>and scallops would probly be good. However, it seems to me, and im one of
>>"those people" who dislike fish cause it taste so 'fishy" that scallops
>>are some of the most subtly flavoured of sea foods.
>>
>>I have a Philippine recipe using yams and prawns im very fond of but you
>>could use scallops for that.
>>
>>I was a bit schocked a few months ago to see preprocecssed, frozen,
>>microwavable versions of this Philippine dish appear in a local big box
>>stores freezer section. But it and its variations are very popular in
>>southeast Asia and the big box store i saw them in is just across the
>>street from a local Asian commercial district.
>>--
>>JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

all good points, Lee
"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>
>> i would dice if i used it in this dish, i am not too fond of many ground
>> meats... except for meatloaf and hamburgers i prefer to do the chewing
>> myself, Lee

> Lee:
>
> While i understand and agree with what you say, which is one of the
> reasons im not a big fan of soup, there is, nevertheless, something to be
> said for being able to thoroughly season and thus flavor the ground meats
> in ways not possible to whole or even cut up pieces of meat.
>
> The cut up chicken and shrimp sauted in butter, garlic and white wine is
> very good. But IMO the ground chicken and shrimp is even better in that
> it is capable of a much greater range of variations in seasoning and
> cooking than the cut up version.
>
> A friend of mine made some with me the other day and she added a tbs. or 2
> of honey to a batch she made, they were very good, slightly caramelized on
> the surface, a slight crispiness to them.
>
> I meant to make some notes after but didn't, she just used, iirc, a tiny
> bit of mashed garlic, a tsp. of white vinegar, a few drops of hot sauce
> (Louisiana style "Red Rooster") and the honey, which was some sort of
> local, home made, free range, farm raised, organic, certified and no doubt
> bonded and insured by Lloyd's of London "PURE" honey
>
> I was a little bit surprised she didn't drag the whole hive over or at
> least a honeycomb!
> --
> JL

>>>I wouldn't grind up scallops for it but a saute of diced or sliced
>>>chicken and scallops would probly be good. However, it seems to me, and
>>>im one of "those people" who dislike fish cause it taste so 'fishy" that
>>>scallops are some of the most subtly flavoured of sea foods.
>>>
>>>I have a Philippine recipe using yams and prawns im very fond of but you
>>>could use scallops for that.
>>>
>>>I was a bit schocked a few months ago to see preprocecssed, frozen,
>>>microwavable versions of this Philippine dish appear in a local big box
>>>stores freezer section. But it and its variations are very popular in
>>>southeast Asia and the big box store i saw them in is just across the
>>>street from a local Asian commercial district.
>>>--
>>>JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:47:03 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> I was a little bit surprised she didn't drag the whole hive over or at
> least a honeycomb!

Is she a beekeeper? How cool!