Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean Bake

I wasn't able to get dried beans anywhere So, bought canned beans. I
have 6 cans containing Canellini beans - each can 246g drained weight.

I have the garlic, herbs etc, now I just need a recipe using the canned
beans.

I would be grateful for any recipe or advice!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 28, 6:28*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> I wasn't able to get dried beans anywhere *So, bought canned beans. *I
> have 6 cans containing Canellini beans - each can 246g *drained weight.
>
> I have the garlic, herbs etc, now I just need a recipe using the canned
> beans.
>
> I would be grateful for any recipe or advice!

> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

No dried beans? Where do you live.....in the sticks!!??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I wasn't able to get dried beans anywhere So, bought canned beans. I
> have 6 cans containing Canellini beans - each can 246g drained weight.
>
> I have the garlic, herbs etc, now I just need a recipe using the canned
> beans.
>
> I would be grateful for any recipe or advice!

I love and make canellini salad with thyme, chopped onion, a squirt of lemon
and ... wait for it... great olive oil! I love it so much that if there is
some in the refrigerator, I sometimes wake at night because I have dreamed
of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> I wasn't able to get dried beans anywhere So, bought canned beans. I
>> have 6 cans containing Canellini beans - each can 246g drained weight.
>>
>> I have the garlic, herbs etc, now I just need a recipe using the canned
>> beans.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any recipe or advice!

> I love and make canellini salad with thyme, chopped onion, a squirt of
> lemon and ... wait for it... great olive oil! I love it so much that if
> there is some in the refrigerator, I sometimes wake at night because I
> have dreamed of it.

<g> and I am sure I shall be trying that.. but until then.....

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I wasn't able to get dried beans anywhere So, bought canned beans. I
> have 6 cans containing Canellini beans - each can 246g drained weight.
>
> I have the garlic, herbs etc, now I just need a recipe using the canned
> beans.
>
> I would be grateful for any recipe or advice!

Bean bakes, casseroles and bean pates are some of my favourite dish's.
Did you have some particular form in mind? here's a rather heavy on the
meat recipe and one with no meat.

Assuming 246g = about 1 cup or 8.67 ounces and all beans mentioned may
be substituted, one bean for another.

Red Kidney Beans Casserole Bercy

Melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in 6 thinly sliced small white onions, i green
pepper finely chopped and freed from seeds and white ribs, and cook over
a gentle flame for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add 1 clove of
garlic, chopped fine.

Have ready 2 & 3/4 to 3 cups of cooked beans, tender but not mushy,

Add the onion green pepper mixture to the beans and season highly with
salt, pepper and a few grains of cayenne.

Lay 1/3 of the beans in a greased baking dish. Over them arrange a
layer of 6 frankfurters, previously slightly browned; then add a layer
of beans, another layer of about a dozen browned pork sausage links,
still another layer of beans, and top with a layer of lean thinly sliced
cooked ham, the slices cut into individual portions.

Pour over all 2 cups of red wine, brought to the boiling point with 1
large bay leaf and 2 whole cloves, strain then mixed with 3/4
tablespoons of tomato paste. Place the dish in a moderate oven (350F)
and bake 30 - 35 minutes. Serve from the baking dish.

Frijoles Piman

Place 2 finely chopped, medium sized onions in a casserole; add 3 tbs.
honey; add 4 cups cooked, strained, beans over the honey. Season with
celery salt, a few grains of cayenne pepper and 3 tbs. of thinly chopped
chives, mix well.

Rub the lid of the casserole gently but thoroughly with garlic; cover
the casserole, place in a medium oven (350F) and bake until beans are
almost but not quite dry or about 30 minutes, top with grated cheese and
brown under the broiler for a minute or 2, serve from the casserole dish
with hot tortillas.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't able to get dried beans anywhere So, bought canned beans. I
>> have 6 cans containing Canellini beans - each can 246g drained weight.
>>
>> I have the garlic, herbs etc, now I just need a recipe using the canned
>> beans.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any recipe or advice!
>>

> Bean bakes, casseroles and bean pates are some of my favourite dish's. Did
> you have some particular form in mind? here's a rather heavy on the meat
> recipe and one with no meat.
>
> Assuming 246g = about 1 cup or 8.67 ounces and all beans mentioned may be
> substituted, one bean for another.
>
> Red Kidney Beans Casserole Bercy
>
> Melt 1/2 cup butter; stir in 6 thinly sliced small white onions, i green
> pepper finely chopped and freed from seeds and white ribs, and cook over a
> gentle flame for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add 1 clove of
> garlic, chopped fine.
>
> Have ready 2 & 3/4 to 3 cups of cooked beans, tender but not mushy,
>
> Add the onion green pepper mixture to the beans and season highly with
> salt, pepper and a few grains of cayenne.
>
> Lay 1/3 of the beans in a greased baking dish. Over them arrange a layer
> of 6 frankfurters, previously slightly browned; then add a layer of beans,
> another layer of about a dozen browned pork sausage links, still another
> layer of beans, and top with a layer of lean thinly sliced cooked ham, the
> slices cut into individual portions.
>
> Pour over all 2 cups of red wine, brought to the boiling point with 1
> large bay leaf and 2 whole cloves, strain then mixed with 3/4 tablespoons
> of tomato paste. Place the dish in a moderate oven (350F) and bake 30 -
> 35 minutes. Serve from the baking dish.
>
> Frijoles Piman
>
> Place 2 finely chopped, medium sized onions in a casserole; add 3 tbs.
> honey; add 4 cups cooked, strained, beans over the honey. Season with
> celery salt, a few grains of cayenne pepper and 3 tbs. of thinly chopped
> chives, mix well.
>

> Rub the lid of the casserole gently but thoroughly with garlic; cover the
> casserole, place in a medium oven (350F) and bake until beans are almost
> but not quite dry or about 30 minutes, top with grated cheese and brown
> under the broiler for a minute or 2, serve from the casserole dish with
> hot tortillas.

Thank you! Beans are very new to me and all recipes are very welcome
(except those with 'hot' or spicy ingredients) We are wimps))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Thank you! Beans are very new to me and all recipes are very welcome
>> (except those with 'hot' or spicy ingredients) We are wimps))

> I make ranchero beans from dry, but you could use canned and just
> heat them a little. I cook chopped bacon to render the fat, then add
> finely chopped onions and celery to the bacon and cook until the bacon
> is crisp and the veggies are soft. Add that to the beans, along with
> some tomato sauce and cook until the flavors blend. A little before
> serving, i add some chopped fresh tomato, though in the winter, I used
> canned. To make this vegetarian, I cook the veggies in oil and usually
> add some peppers (sweet) as well. I do this with pintos, bolitas and
> other such similar beans. I make refried beans with cooked black beans,
> and those I do quite simply with lots of oil or rendered lard, tons of
> chopped onions and lots of black pepper. I've posted my recipe for
> herbed cannelini beans, which could be done with any white beans. If
> you search for bean or beans on my blog, you'd come up with quite a lot.

Thanks very much, Ranee! They sound lovely

I'll pop over and have a look at your blog too

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message

>> > I make ranchero beans from dry, but you could use canned and just
>> > heat them a little. I cook chopped bacon to render the fat, then add
>> > finely chopped onions and celery to the bacon and cook until the bacon
>> > is crisp and the veggies are soft. Add that to the beans, along with
>> > some tomato sauce and cook until the flavors blend. A little before
>> > serving, i add some chopped fresh tomato, though in the winter, I used
>> > canned. To make this vegetarian, I cook the veggies in oil and usually
>> > add some peppers (sweet) as well. I do this with pintos, bolitas and
>> > other such similar beans. I make refried beans with cooked black
>> > beans,
>> > and those I do quite simply with lots of oil or rendered lard, tons of
>> > chopped onions and lots of black pepper. I've posted my recipe for
>> > herbed cannelini beans, which could be done with any white beans. If
>> > you search for bean or beans on my blog, you'd come up with quite a
>> > lot.

>> Thanks very much, Ranee! They sound lovely
>>
>> I'll pop over and have a look at your blog too

> You are very welcome. Also a friend of mine who has five boys also
> loves beans and cooks quite a lot of them for her tribe. Her blog is
> much more polished than mine and can be found at:
> http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/ You can search for bean or beans there
> and come up with a lot of lovely things, too.

That is another lovely site! Thank you so much, Ranee)))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:26:28 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>Also a friend of mine who has five boys also
>loves beans and cooks quite a lot of them for her tribe. Her blog is
>much more polished than mine and can be found at:
>http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/ You can search for bean or beans there
>and come up with a lot of lovely things, too.
>
>Regards,
>Ranee

Thank you from me also, Ranée.

Your friend has some wonderful looking recipes. I've already copied
and input the "New England Fish Cakes" recipe into my MC. Both it and
the "Tart-er Sauce" sound delicious and will be on my menu this coming
week!