Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Score at the meat counter!!

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Heya folks,
>
> Well..I headed down into the L.A. area today, since Santa Barbara
> doesn't have some crucial stores here, like Asian markets worth
> anything. I wanted one where there was live fish, great inexpensive
> veggies and almost any Asian ingredient I could find. There are 99
> Ranch markets there, and that was one of my objectives.
>
> But, I also happen to like a chain of markets called Jons Marketplace.
> They often have neat deals, and they cater to a really diverse
> clientele. I stopped by one today, and I must have heard at least a
> dozen languages while I was there, including one I think was Russian.
> They have a lot of middle eastern customers, so middle eastern
> products are easy to find there.
>
> But today, the meat counter won out. I spied packages of veal
> breasts, with bones in them!! A whole stack of them..at $2.95/pound.
> I use them to make veal stock a la Madeline Kamman. I didn't want to
> make a ton of it this time. So I only got one package, at about 1.5
> pounds.... Enough to make a small batch. Wow... I haven't seen veal
> breasts like this in ages!!
>
> Just had to tell y'all.. If any of you are in the L.A. area, Jons is
> a great chain.
>
> Christine
> --

I brown the veal parts at 325F in the oven for an hour and a half or so,
along with an onion. I think the browning richens the stock. I also add a
tiny bit of tomato paste. You can't taste it after. It also richens the
stock a bit. As you know the veal is what adds the richness to brown stock.
Even without beef in the stock you can create a nice rich beef stew. I'm
able to get leftover veal parts up here where they butcher the veal from the
whole calf.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

the whole calf is veal, and the veal is beef, just sayin, Lee