Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vodka spaghetti

I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.

Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>Sounds like something that materializes after consuming a liter of
>Crystal Palace vodka... wtf didn't you post the photo. sheesh

I'm looking for it, hopefully I will find it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/02/2011 03:28 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>
> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

I recently saw a blog post where that was done with tomato soup:

http://natureinsider.com/2011/03/del...d-tomato-soup/

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-03, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> I recently saw a blog post where that was done with tomato soup:

Hey! A sot will do anthing for a morning cocktail.

I'd pass on the Cream of Mushroom n Peeps martini, though.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in
:

> On 04/02/2011 03:28 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
>> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
>> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
>> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>>
>> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
>> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

> I recently saw a blog post where that was done with tomato soup:
>
> http://natureinsider.com/2011/03/del...es-puree-recon
> structed-tomato-soup/
>
> Serene

The vodka spaghetti must be a creation of that Blooming Hestanthal :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

Nothing ever truely dies
the Universe wastes nothing
everything is simply... transformed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

>> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
>> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
>> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>>
>> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
>> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

> I recently saw a blog post where that was done with tomato soup:
>
> http://natureinsider.com/2011/03/del...d-tomato-soup/

Pushing the gel through a tube would be a pain. It would be a lot easier to
make a sheet of the stuff and push it through a chitarra. (Or cut it by
hand, especially if you have one of those accordion-type pastry-cutter
thingies:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/mult...804782207.html)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> I recently saw a blog post where that was done with tomato soup:
> http://natureinsider.com/2011/03/del...d-tomato-soup/

Thanks, Serene. The photo I saw of the "vodka spaghetti" looked very
similar, except it was clear. So perhaps it was based on agar-agar
as well.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 00:58:40 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds like something that materializes after consuming a liter of
>>>Crystal Palace vodka... wtf didn't you post the photo. sheesh

>> I'm looking for it, hopefully I will find it.

>I don't think you can get photos off of Facebook anymore. Last time I
>tried it I pasted it into a my image viewer and all that showed up was
>a "Copyright (C) 2011 Facebook.com" message. It was MY OWN photo!
>
>I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'll investigate further.

Yes, in this thread, I have sort of the opposite problem... there is no
real "search" function in Facebook so looking for a photo I know
I saw is proving impossible.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 00:58:40 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >
> >>Sounds like something that materializes after consuming a liter of
> >>Crystal Palace vodka... wtf didn't you post the photo. sheesh

> > I'm looking for it, hopefully I will find it.

> I don't think you can get photos off of Facebook anymore. Last time I
> tried it I pasted it into a my image viewer and all that showed up was
> a "Copyright (C) 2011 Facebook.com" message. It was MY OWN photo!
>
> I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'll investigate further.

Things are different with the new format for displaying pictures.
However, it's even easier. There is a download tag right on the page.
Just click that and the picture comes up in a window of its own outside
of FaceBook. I just right clicked on the picture then, and it was in my
Clipboard. Go to an editor and paste the picture in. Worked like a
charm. She was cute, too.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> There is a photos page, have you tried that?

Nope, I haven't. No clue. Tell me more.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 00:58:40 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds like something that materializes after consuming a liter of
>>>Crystal Palace vodka... wtf didn't you post the photo. sheesh

>> I'm looking for it, hopefully I will find it.

> I don't think you can get photos off of Facebook anymore. Last time I
> tried it I pasted it into a my image viewer and all that showed up was
> a "Copyright (C) 2011 Facebook.com" message. It was MY OWN photo!
>
> I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'll investigate further.

You can do photobucket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is> not
>spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>
> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

Were I to make it I would just use the flour and water recipes substituting
vodka, but search my mind and soul, I cannot think of a single reason I
would want to! As soon as you cooked it, as you certainly would unless cold
slimy noodles are your thing, the vodka would become a memory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is> not
>>spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
>> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>>
>> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
>> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

>Were I to make it I would just use the flour and water recipes substituting
>vodka, but search my mind and soul, I cannot think of a single reason I
>would want to! As soon as you cooked it, as you certainly would unless cold
>slimy noodles are your thing, the vodka would become a memory.

Thanks.

I'm sort of thinking what I looked at was cold-processed so that it still
tasted of vodka. It looked sort of cold/slimy. I know the photos came
from someone in Naples. It was not clear whether it was homemade or at a
restaurant.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2011 12:28 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>
> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.
>

> Steve

Most likely it's a gel of agar-agar or arrowroot. The spaghetti might be
ignitable. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>On 4/2/2011 12:28 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

>> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
>> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
>> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>>
>> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
>> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

>Most likely it's a gel of agar-agar or arrowroot. The spaghetti might be
>ignitable. :-)

Thanks. ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:35:43 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 4/2/2011 12:28 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
>> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
>> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
>> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>>
>> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
>> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.
>>

>> Steve

>Most likely it's a gel of agar-agar or arrowroot. The spaghetti might be
>ignitable. :-)

Steve and others,

This site might have some answers for you. The couple behind this
site have a book out now as well, called Ideas in Food. They do a lot
of different types of noodles along the order that you mention, but I
think they use other things for forming them.
http://blog.ideasinfood.com/

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 12:09*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > I'm looking for it, hopefully I will find it.

> > I don't think you can get photos off of Facebook anymore. *Last time I
> > tried it I pasted it into a my image viewer and all that showed up was
> > a "Copyright (C) 2011 Facebook.com" message. *It was MY OWN photo!

> > I'm sure there's a way to do it. *I'll investigate further.

> Things are different with the new format for displaying pictures. *
> However, it's even easier. *There is a download tag right on the page. *
> Just click that and the picture comes up in a window of its own outside
> of FaceBook. *I just right clicked on the picture then, and it was in my
> Clipboard. *Go to an editor and paste the picture in. *Worked like a
> charm. *She was cute, too.

And if that doesn't work, which sometimes it doesn't, just printscreen
and paste.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:09:07 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> I don't think you can get photos off of Facebook anymore. Last time I
> >> tried it I pasted it into a my image viewer and all that showed up was
> >> a "Copyright (C) 2011 Facebook.com" message. It was MY OWN photo!
> >>
> >> I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'll investigate further.

> > Things are different with the new format for displaying pictures.
> > However, it's even easier. There is a download tag right on the page.
> > Just click that and the picture comes up in a window of its own outside
> > of FaceBook. I just right clicked on the picture then, and it was in my
> > Clipboard. Go to an editor and paste the picture in. Worked like a
> > charm. She was cute, too.

> Whatever you're dogin does not work in FF4 for Windows. Can you give
> me an example of a page that has this "download" tag?

I'm using FF3 on the Mac. I went to your home page and navigated to
your picture of football nachos in your wall photos. These were down on
the bottom left:

Tag This Photo

Share

Download

I selected Download and it opened it in my viewer, after asking me.

I then tried Safari with the same result.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 14:34:58 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:
>

> > I'm using FF3 on the Mac.

> Oh, OK. I see it now. Duh. Yes, that works. You used to be able to
> just click and drag the image from a Mozilla window onto the desktop -
> Which was the easiest of all.

You can still do a right click to get a menu to copy an image...on any
other site. I think it's the new FB picture page format, not FF. I
wonder if it has to do with the fact that when you click on a picture,
it takes you to the next one?

> Why is it with FF4 my vert scroll bar does not work on pages that
> display pictures?

I'm still on FF3, and don't plan to switch until I have to. My vertical
scroll bar has been freezing up, but I figured it was just being slow.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2011 8:37 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/2/2011 12:28 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

>>> I recently saw a photo on Facebook of "vodka spaghetti". This is
>>> not spaghetti in a vodka sauce, but clear noodles that are somehow
>>> formed or congealed out of a vodka-containing solution.
>>>
>>> Obviously a molecular technique, but I'm wondering if anyone has
>>> seen, or heard of, such a thing or has any idea how it's made.

>> Most likely it's a gel of agar-agar or arrowroot. The spaghetti might be
>> ignitable. :-)

> Thanks. ;-)
>
> Steve

After a little research, it's likely that the gelling agent is sodium
alginate or algin which is derived from seaweed. Algen gels almost
instantaneously when extruded or dropped in a bath of calcium chloride.
I use that stuff at work to make investments for casting plastic pieces
but evidently you can make edible vodka spaghetti out of it.

Personally, I'd rather use agar-agar, which is also derived from
seaweed, for clear fake spaghetti. The way I'd do it is to run the
liquid solution through vinyl tubing that's placed in a iced-water bath.
Liquid goes in and fake spaghetti gel comes out. My guess is that
agar-agar will hold its shape better and longer than algin.

These wacky experiments with bubbles and foams and gels and liquid
nitrogen may be partly due to Alton Brown's impractical methods and
ideas. I guess regular foods are just too boring. :-)