Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking question - cinnamon roll texture

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:44:34 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I am not sure what you describe but IMO the very best dough for cinnamon
> buns is a potato refrigerator dinner roll. A typical recipe will use a cup
> of mashed potatoes, shortening, egg and sugar. I would say the result is
> "stringy" in that the bread peels apart in layers almost as if it had
> multiple laminations.
>
> Paul

You made me look, so I might as well add a recipe I found for that. I
might use it to make cinnamon rolls.

Potato Refrigerator Rolls
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...gerator-rolls/
Added by sleepycathollow on July 20 2009 in Breads Dinner Rolls

Servings 24

Prep Time 10 Minutes Cook Time 20 Minutes Difficulty Easy

Ingredients

1 package Dry Yeast
1-˝ cup Warm Water
1 cup Smashed Potatoes
2/3 cup Shortening
˝ cup Sugar
1-˝ teaspoon Salt
1 cup Milk, Scalded OR Potato Water
2 whole Eggs Beaten
6 cups Flour

Preparation Instructions

Put yeast in warm water.

In your mixing bowl combine smashed potatoes, shortening, sugar, and
salt. Pour the scalding milk/or potato water over this mixture.

Add softened yeast mixture, 2 eggs and 3 cups of the flour. Beat
until smooth. Add about 3 more cups of flour and knead.

Store in refrigerator several hours or until double in bulk (or for a
few days).

This is where you can either make them all into dinner rolls and bake
in a 350F-375F oven for 20 minutes.

OR……make sweet sticky rolls.

Take 1/2 of the recipe from the refrigerator and roll dough to 9?x18?.
Spread with at least 2 TBSP butter and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of white
sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon.

Roll up and cut into 1inch slices and put in a 13x9 inch pan that has
the following in the bottom:
1/2 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup chopped pecans
(optional…but not in my house!)

Let rise till double in size then bake in a 375F oven for 25 minutes.

Immediately invert onto a large tray.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:44:34 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> I am not sure what you describe but IMO the very best dough for cinnamon
>> buns is a potato refrigerator dinner roll. A typical recipe will use a
>> cup
>> of mashed potatoes, shortening, egg and sugar. I would say the result is
>> "stringy" in that the bread peels apart in layers almost as if it had
>> multiple laminations.
>>
>> Paul

> You made me look, so I might as well add a recipe I found for that. I
> might use it to make cinnamon rolls.
>
> Potato Refrigerator Rolls
> http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...gerator-rolls/
> Added by sleepycathollow on July 20 2009 in Breads Dinner Rolls
>
> Servings 24
>
> Prep Time 10 Minutes Cook Time 20 Minutes Difficulty Easy
>

> Ingredients
>
> 1 package Dry Yeast
> 1-˝ cup Warm Water
> 1 cup Smashed Potatoes
> 2/3 cup Shortening
> ˝ cup Sugar
> 1-˝ teaspoon Salt
> 1 cup Milk, Scalded OR Potato Water
> 2 whole Eggs Beaten
> 6 cups Flour

That's a pretty typical recipe. Flour amounts vary considerably though. I
also use both milk and potato water. A very slow rise is they key, at least
12 hours in the coldest part of your fridge. Better yet is 24 hours. The
finished bread is extremely fragrant, tender and slightly sweet with a
velvety texture. It makes perfect cinnamon rolls.

Paul