Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rec: Curried rice salad (five copy dish)

More than thirty years ago, my wife brought this recipe home from a pot
luck she attended. It became an instant hit in our home and I have made
it for MANY pot lucks since. After we moved to the central coast of
California,I made it for our bridge club and was instructed never to
come to a pot luck without it. I call it my five copy recipe because I
know I will be asked by at least five people for the recipe. I imagine
that I will be flamed for the use of Rice-A-Roni. If you feel that you
must criticize, go ahead, but try it before you show your poor taste.

Wayne

CURRIED RICE SALAD

1 box Chicken Rice-A-Roni,
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup roasted, salted Planters peanuts (roasted diced almonds are also
good)
3/4 cup green onions
1 cup mayonnaise
1 to 2 tsp. curry powder (I use 2) Although very different, Schilling
and Spice Hunter brands work well, they each give a slightly different
taste.

Prepare Rice-A-Roni according to instructions on box. While mixture is
simmering add curry powder.

Remove from heat when rice mixture is fully cooked. Cool. Add raisins,
nuts & onions. Add mayonnaise & more curry powder if desired. Chill.
Best if prepared a day ahead of time. I always make a double batch so
that I will have some to keep at home. Just double the quantities for
everything.