Member

Default Have you ever heard of Doughgies?

My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for this and have only ever found one reference to it (Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes) but the answers given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and maybe be able to provide a recipe.

Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 2:45*pm, Cary Walker <Cary.Walker.
> wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>
> --
> Cary Walker

My guess would be that it was made with flour and baking powder or
flour and yeast. I would experiment to see. It had to be simple, and
they probably added salt, and maybe some sugar. I think I will try it.
Was she PA Dutch. My mother was, and she had receipes that were
basically just flour and water.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 6:45*pm, Cary Walker <Cary.Walker.
> wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>
> --
> Cary Walker

I think what you are describing are Beavertails/Canadian doughnuts
with and savoury toppings. I saw these featured in a BBC video news
item just yesterday. You will see them at the end of this video.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12789701

Here is one recipe for them:

Beavertails

Ingredients:
½ cup warm water
5 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 pinch of white sugar
1 cup of warm milk
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 cups whole wheat flour
1 quart of oil for frying
2 cups white sugar
touch of cinnamon

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir together the yeast, warm water and the pinch of
sugar. Let stand until it is a slightly foamy (approximately 5
minutes). Then add the other 1/3 cup of sugar, milk, vanilla, eggs,
oil and salt. Stir it all until it is smooth. Mix in about half of the
flour and continue stirring it. Gradually add more flour.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface when it is firm enough. Knead
for approximately 6-8 minutes. Add more flour if you need it to form a
firm elastic dough. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover.

Let dough sit covered until it rises and doubles (approximately 35-45
minutes). Lightly deflate the dough and pinch off a piece the size of
a golf ball. On a floured surface use a rolling pin to roll out the
small ball of dough into an oval shape. Put it aside and cover it with
a tea towel while you continue to do the same with the remaining
dough.

Heat approximately 4 inches of oil in either a deep-fryer (375
degrees) or a wok or a Dutch oven. Before placing the flattened dough
into the oil, stretch them into ovals and thin them and enlarge them
(to resemble the tail). Place the tails in the oil one (or two) at a
time. Fry in the oil, turn them once until the tails are a deep brown.
This process usually takes about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Carefully
remove the tail from the oil and let it drain on a paper towel. Place
left over sugar in a large bowl and add the cinnamon. Toss the beaver
tail into the bowl while it is still hot. Shake off any extra sugar
and cinnamon mixture.

You can also add another topping of your choice (i.e. chocolate sauce,
jam, garlic, cheese).

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 1:45*pm, Cary Walker <Cary.Walker.
> wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>
> --
> Cary Walker

Fried dough is a doughnut. Take it from an expert. I made doughnuts
for 8 years, 6 nights a week!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 8:40*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mar 20, 1:45*pm, Cary Walker <Cary.Walker.
>

> > wrote:
> > My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> > delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> > fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> > piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> > favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> > too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

> > Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> > this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> > Finder of Lost Recipes'
> > (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> > given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> > hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> > maybe be able to provide a recipe.

> > Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.

> > --
> > Cary Walker

> Fried dough is a doughnut. Take it from an expert. I made doughnuts
> for 8 years, 6 nights a week!
>
> John Kuthe...

People sometimes act like paczkis aren't doughnuts. They're a little
heavier and richer than normal doughnuts, but they're still freakin
doughnuts. And how the hell do they get an N sound out of that
spelling, anyway?

Member

Tom, Cherry and John, thanks for the help. Tom, That's what I was thinking but I am no baker and have no idea how to start. Maybe I'll just find a fried dough recipe and experiment with that. Cherry, nice try but from the looks of them they are more donut-like than the doughgies were. John, they weren't like any donut I've ever had. They were very light and fluffy.

Again, thank you all for the help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 6:40*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mar 20, 1:45*pm, Cary Walker <Cary.Walker.
>

> > wrote:
> > My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> > delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> > fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> > piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> > favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> > too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

> > Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> > this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> > Finder of Lost Recipes'
> > (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> > given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> > hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> > maybe be able to provide a recipe.

> > Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.

> > --
> > Cary Walker

> Fried dough is a doughnut. Take it from an expert. I made doughnuts
> for 8 years, 6 nights a week!
>
> John Kuthe...

Now we know why you are what you are. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My mom used to make doughgies when I was a kid. She would get the dough from the frozen food isle and let it rise. She would then put it in hot oil and fry then turn. We would fill them with jam or put butter or powdered sugar. simple and quick. They are very delicious.

I think traditionally their real name is poczki. and they contain eggs. They are polish. We had a lot of polish people in Baltimore where I grew up and the name just changed to doughgie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:45:58 PM UTC-4, Cary Walker wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>

> --
> Cary Walker

I know what you are looking for. My Mother-Inlaw made these. She was of German descent. Fortunately, she wrote down her recipe:

6 Cups Flour
5 Tbsps. Crisco
1 Tbsps. salt
2 Tbsps Sugar
separately
2 cups warm water
1 pkg. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
dissolve together
If dry, add more warm water. Knead on floured board. Put in bowl and let rise.
the next directions are is missing, but I believe you cut the dough into circles, and deep fry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Absolutely!......that is what caused me to look for this....my mother would make them sometimes to have with breakfast.....LOVED THEM!!! Unfortunately, I was just a kid and have no idea how she made them. BUT....my Mom wasn't really into cooking or baking....so she didn't really make her own dough much. I feel like she just used the biscuit dough that comes in rolls at the supermarket and fried them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. We used to eat them wigh butter and jelly.....they were beautiful. Wish I had some right now....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 1:45:58 PM UTC-5, Cary Walker wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>

> --
> Cary Walker

THE most basic of a DONUT!! YUM!!! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 21, 2011 at 12:08:07 PM UTC-5, Cary Walker wrote:
> Tom, Cherry and John, thanks for the help. Tom, That's what I was
> thinking but I am no baker and have no idea how to start. Maybe I'll
> just find a fried dough recipe and experiment with that. Cherry, nice
> try but from the looks of them they are more donut-like than the
> doughgies were. John, they weren't like any donut I've ever had. They
> were very light and fluffy.
>
> Again, thank you all for the help.
>

> --
> Cary Walker

Yeah, but how bad could they be? GO FOR IT!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 8:08:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Absolutely!......that is what caused me to look for this....my mother would make them sometimes to have with breakfast.....LOVED THEM!!! Unfortunately, I was just a kid and have no idea how she made them. BUT....my Mom wasn't really into cooking or baking....so she didn't really make her own dough much. I feel like she just used the biscuit dough that comes in rolls at the supermarket and fried them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. We used to eat them wigh butter and jelly.....they were beautiful. Wish I had some right now....

ANY fried dough is yummy! The better the dough and the better the fry THE BETTER!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My family made these every weekend. I am visiting them in August for the first time in years. I believe it's just dough deep fried. We would cut them with cookie cutters. I remember the dough being wrapped in a towel until morning. I will find out from my surviving aunts and let you know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 8:45:58 AM UTC-10, Cary Walker wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>

> --
> Cary Walker

Fried dough is good eats. It's probably popular in most parts of the world. On this rock, the popular fried dough is Okinawan andagi and Portuguese malasadas. American doughnuts are also popular, of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:59:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> Fried dough is good eats. It's probably popular in most parts of the world. On this rock, the popular fried dough is Okinawan andagi and Portuguese malasadas. American doughnuts are also popular, of course.

Yep! My Indian housemate was frying up some batter/dough pancake looking things last evening which are not sweet but savory, and delicious!

Just about anything FRIED is delicious!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:59:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > Fried dough is good eats. It's probably popular in most parts of the world. On this rock, the popular fried dough is Okinawan andagi and Portuguese malasadas. American doughnuts are also popular, of course.

> Yep! My Indian housemate was frying up some batter/dough pancake looking things last evening which are not sweet but savory, and delicious!
>
> Just about anything FRIED is delicious!

I occasionally make corn fritters (fried).

Half of them I'll sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The other half, I'll salt and eat with ketchup.

Both versions are equally good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> There are never enough leftover scraps to make all the fried pizza
> dough I'd like to eat.
>
> A good thing.

I remember as a kid, mom would use leftover pie dough, Roll up
with cinnamon and sugar and bake for a nice treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 9:25:54 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:59:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > > Fried dough is good eats. It's probably popular in most parts of the world. On this rock, the popular fried dough is Okinawan andagi and Portuguese malasadas. American doughnuts are also popular, of course.

> > Yep! My Indian housemate was frying up some batter/dough pancake looking things last evening which are not sweet but savory, and delicious!
> >
> > Just about anything FRIED is delicious!

> I occasionally make corn fritters (fried).
>
> Half of them I'll sprinkle with powdered sugar.
> The other half, I'll salt and eat with ketchup.
>
> Both versions are equally good.

What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 9:04:51 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
> that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
> ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Best sauce in the world!

Butter+brown sugar!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 07:04:45 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 9:25:54 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>> > Yep! My Indian housemate was frying up some batter/dough pancake looking things last evening which are not sweet but savory, and delicious!
>> >
>> > Just about anything FRIED is delicious!

>> I occasionally make corn fritters (fried).
>>
>> Half of them I'll sprinkle with powdered sugar.
>> The other half, I'll salt and eat with ketchup.
>>
>> Both versions are equally good.

>What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
>that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
>ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'm only familiar with corn fritters that are a drop dough and come
out of the oil looking like a big hush puppy. I've never seen the
pancake kind. Is that a specialty of a certain part of the country?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton:
> >What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
> >that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
> >ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I'm only familiar with corn fritters that are a drop dough and come
> out of the oil looking like a big hush puppy.

That's the kind I make US Janet. Look like hush puppies. As soon
as they come out of the deep fry, you either salt them
or....generously sprinkle on powdered sugar. Both ways are good.

Here's my recipe:
"From a gone-but-not-forgotten restaurant, The Kapok Tree in
Clearwater,
Florida"

CORN FRITTERS

- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whole kernal corn
- Vegetable oil for frying

* Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.

* Add the egg, milk and corn and stir briskly until well blended.

* Heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy pan to 350
degrees. Drop
batter, a rounded teaspoonful at a time, into the hot oil,
turning once
with a spoon to cook to an even golden brown (about 2 minutes
total).

* Remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Serve
hot, sprinkled with confectioners' sugar

Makes about 3 dozen fritters

Personal note: I usually add twice the amount of corn to the
batter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy, your pancake-type corn-included "fritters or "doughgies" sound like
what are called Johnnycakes in my world. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 11:12:58 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Cindy, your pancake-type corn-included "fritters or "doughgies" sound like
> what are called Johnnycakes in my world. ;-))
>
> N.

Johnnycakes! I've not heard that term for years!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 2:57:31 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> The county fairs here serve "Funnel Cakes".
> http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/funnel-cake-19611
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fqkxFtU_Kk

Here, too. Lots of powdered sugar on them as well. I really
like corn fritters but after I eat them my teeth feel like I've
just consumed a bottle of Elmer's Glue. Hahahahahaaaa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 07:04:45 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 9:25:54 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>> > Yep! My Indian housemate was frying up some batter/dough pancake looking things last evening which are not sweet but savory, and delicious!
>> >
>> > Just about anything FRIED is delicious!

>> I occasionally make corn fritters (fried).
>>
>> Half of them I'll sprinkle with powdered sugar.
>> The other half, I'll salt and eat with ketchup.
>>
>> Both versions are equally good.

>What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
>that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
>ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

My mother used to make some savory ones with leftovers- mashed
potatoes, corn,and an egg to bind it all, and it was dropped by the
1/4 cup into a pan and fried (sort of) in a bit of butter. I have not
even thought of them in 25 years, at least. They were thought tasty
enough that sometimes the leftovers were quite deliberate.

I also know of ones (not made by me, but I have had them) of corn
kernels, flour and egg and prepared as above. Cooked cauliflower can
be done the same way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 5:49:24 PM UTC-5, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 07:04:45 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I occasionally make corn fritters (fried).
> >>
> >> Half of them I'll sprinkle with powdered sugar.
> >> The other half, I'll salt and eat with ketchup.
> >>
> >> Both versions are equally good.

> >What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
> >that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
> >ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> My mother used to make some savory ones with leftovers- mashed
> potatoes, corn,and an egg to bind it all, and it was dropped by the
> 1/4 cup into a pan and fried (sort of) in a bit of butter. I have not
> even thought of them in 25 years, at least. They were thought tasty
> enough that sometimes the leftovers were quite deliberate.
>
> I also know of ones (not made by me, but I have had them) of corn
> kernels, flour and egg and prepared as above. Cooked cauliflower can
> be done the same way.

One could take an old stinky neoprene river sock, slice it thinly and bread it then fry it and people would go "Yummy but kinda chewy". In fact I think they do and call it Calamari!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron, if you leave out the corn and add in some savory herbs and diced onion, you would have
my version of "potato cakes," or "potato pancakes," which I make to use up leftover mashed
potatoes. Yummy.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 3:07:54 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:

> Yep! My Indian housemate was frying up some batter/dough pancake looking things last evening which are not sweet but savory, and delicious!
>
> Just about anything FRIED is delicious!
>
> John Kuthe...

Without the Portuguese, Hawaii wouldn't have ukuleles or malasadas. I can't say which one would be a bigger loss...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--J_Slf6UVY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:56:41 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Boron, if you leave out the corn and add in some savory herbs and diced onion, you would have
>my version of "potato cakes," or "potato pancakes," which I make to use up leftover mashed
>potatoes. Yummy.
>
>N.

Yummy, indeed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:10:44 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton:
> > >What kind of corn fritters do you make? I used to make some
> > >that were basically pancakes with a lot of corn inside. I
> > >ate them with butter and syrup just like any other pancake.
> > >
> > >Cindy Hamilton

> > I'm only familiar with corn fritters that are a drop dough and come
> > out of the oil looking like a big hush puppy.

> That's the kind I make US Janet. Look like hush puppies. As soon
> as they come out of the deep fry, you either salt them
> or....generously sprinkle on powdered sugar. Both ways are good.
>
> Here's my recipe:
> ================================================== ==================
> "From a gone-but-not-forgotten restaurant, The Kapok Tree in
> Clearwater,
> Florida"
>
> CORN FRITTERS
>
> - 1 cup all-purpose flour
> - 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> - 1 tablespoon sugar
> - 3/4 teaspoon salt
> - 1 egg
> - 1/4 cup milk
> - 1/2 cup whole kernal corn
> - Vegetable oil for frying
>
> * Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
>
> * Add the egg, milk and corn and stir briskly until well blended.
>
> * Heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy pan to 350
> degrees. Drop
> batter, a rounded teaspoonful at a time, into the hot oil,
> turning once
> with a spoon to cook to an even golden brown (about 2 minutes
> total).
>
> * Remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
> Serve
> hot, sprinkled with confectioners' sugar
>
> Makes about 3 dozen fritters
>
> Personal note: I usually add twice the amount of corn to the
> batter.

I love crawfish hush poppies/fritters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:36:00 AM UTC-5, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:10:44 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton:

> > > I'm only familiar with corn fritters that are a drop dough and come
> > > out of the oil looking like a big hush puppy.

> > That's the kind I make US Janet. Look like hush puppies. As soon
> > as they come out of the deep fry, you either salt them
> > or....generously sprinkle on powdered sugar. Both ways are good.
> >
> > Here's my recipe:
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > ================================================== ==================
> > "From a gone-but-not-forgotten restaurant, The Kapok Tree in
> > Clearwater,
> > Florida"
> >
> > CORN FRITTERS
> >
> > - 1 cup all-purpose flour
> > - 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> > - 1 tablespoon sugar
> > - 3/4 teaspoon salt
> > - 1 egg
> > - 1/4 cup milk
> > - 1/2 cup whole kernal corn
> > - Vegetable oil for frying
> >
> > * Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
> >
> > * Add the egg, milk and corn and stir briskly until well blended.
> >
> > * Heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy pan to 350
> > degrees. Drop
> > batter, a rounded teaspoonful at a time, into the hot oil,
> > turning once
> > with a spoon to cook to an even golden brown (about 2 minutes
> > total).
> >
> > * Remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
> > Serve
> > hot, sprinkled with confectioners' sugar
> >
> > Makes about 3 dozen fritters
> >
> > Personal note: I usually add twice the amount of corn to the
> > batter.

> I love crawfish hush poppies/fritters.

I love crawfish anything! Mudbugs! YUM! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ImStillMags > wrote:

> I love crawfish hush poppies/fritters.

How about sopapillas, anybody? They're the only fried bread I've ever
made and pretty tasty too. I did save the corn fritters recipe. I've
always been curious about johnnycakes. I think I'll do a little
googling.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The non-PC labeled Indian Fry Bread is really, really good. An arts festival I attended in the
Southwest used Fry Bread as the biscuit in their version of strawberry shortcake (topped with whipped
cream, of course), and it was perfectly delicious.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:38:24 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> The non-PC labeled Indian Fry Bread is really, really good. An arts festival I attended in the
> Southwest used Fry Bread as the biscuit in their version of strawberry shortcake (topped with whipped
> cream, of course), and it was perfectly delicious.
>
> N.

You mean REAL Indians like I live with or the LIE we have been told forever?

I've lived with several people FROM India and I don't think any of them would have a problem with the term Indian Fry Bread.

Namaste

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 2:45:58 PM UTC-4, Cary Walker wrote:
> My grandmother, who was of German descent, used to make this wonderfully
> delicious pastry that we called doughgies. I remember that she deep
> fried it in lard in a huge cast iron frying pan. It went in as a flat
> piece of dough and came out as this light and puffy piece of heaven. My
> favorite topping was butter and salt but others would put sugar on it
> too. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
>
> Anyway, I have searched high and low on the internet for a resipe for
> this and have only ever found one reference to it ('Uncle Phaedrus,
> Finder of Lost Recipes'
> (http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0704M05.htm)) but the answers
> given were just for fried dough. Close I think but not a hit. So I was
> hoping someone here might have an idea of what I'm talking about and
> maybe be able to provide a recipe.
>
> Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me.
>

> --
> Cary Walker

My Mother used to make doughgies, but never gave me the recipe. My brother just gets dough from the frozen section at the grocery store and makes it from that. He fries it in either butter flavored Crisco or lard which makes a difference in the taste. We cut it open after it is fried and use butter and preserves or jelly on it. Traditionally my Mother also made brains, another German Dish to go with the Doughgies. For some reason we usually ate this at Easter.