Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Has anyone heard of...?

Has anyone here ever heard of, or bought wine from Montesquieu? Just
curious...

WH

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, May 29, 2006 12:27:20 AM UTC-4, Wine Hedonist wrote:
> Has anyone here ever heard of, or bought wine from Montesquieu? Just
> curious...
>
> WH

After bouncing around various newsreaders that ceased operations, I started using Google Groups (partially to irritate Lipton). Then last week for a couple of days GG wasn't completing posts. So I used my Optonline/Cablevision account & Windows Mail to post a couple notes here. On one I missed that my email sig was attached by mail (with office phone number listed).
So a day or two later I'm in office, and I get a call. "This (someone) from Montesquieu. You've been referred to me as someone who likes wine. So, tell me, do you like the red or the white?"
I said "generally the purple" and hung up.
I don't think anyone here is likely to buy from hard pressure telemarketers, but for the record Montesquieu (formerly Gerhardt) is pretty infamous for buying cheap private label stuff and passing off as the cult wine you've never heard of.
I can't say for certain it was posting here that did it, but pretty strong coincidence that within a couple days I get a call at office- first cold call here in a decade.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/25/14 12:05 PM, DaleW wrote:

> After bouncing around various newsreaders that ceased operations, I
> started using Google Groups (partially to irritate Lipton). Then last
> week for a couple of days GG wasn't completing posts. So I used my
> Optonline/Cablevision account & Windows Mail to post a couple notes
> here. On one I missed that my email sig was attached by mail (with
> office phone number listed). So a day or two later I'm in office, and
> I get a call. "This (someone) from Montesquieu. You've been referred
> to me as someone who likes wine. So, tell me, do you like the red or
> the white?" I said "generally the purple" and hung up. I don't think
> anyone here is likely to buy from hard pressure telemarketers, but
> for the record Montesquieu (formerly Gerhardt) is pretty infamous for
> buying cheap private label stuff and passing off as the cult wine
> you've never heard of. I can't say for certain it was posting here
> that did it, but pretty strong coincidence that within a couple days
> I get a call at office- first cold call here in a decade.

Eek! Sorry to hear that, Dale. That's a lot of grief simply to
irritate me ;-)

Mark Lipton
(T'bird still works for me in a generic mail/news kinda sense)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 25/03/2014 16:05, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, May 29, 2006 12:27:20 AM UTC-4, Wine Hedonist wrote:
>> Has anyone here ever heard of, or bought wine from Montesquieu? Just
>> curious...
>>
>> WH

> After bouncing around various newsreaders that ceased operations, I started using Google Groups (partially to irritate Lipton). Then last week for a couple of days GG wasn't completing posts. So I used my Optonline/Cablevision account & Windows Mail to post a couple notes here. On one I missed that my email sig was attached by mail (with office phone number listed).
> So a day or two later I'm in office, and I get a call. "This (someone) from Montesquieu. You've been referred to me as someone who likes wine. So, tell me, do you like the red or the white?"
> I said "generally the purple" and hung up.
> I don't think anyone here is likely to buy from hard pressure telemarketers, but for the record Montesquieu (formerly Gerhardt) is pretty infamous for buying cheap private label stuff and passing off as the cult wine you've never heard of.
> I can't say for certain it was posting here that did it, but pretty strong coincidence that within a couple days I get a call at office- first cold call here in a decade.

Presumably unrelated to Domaine Montesquiou in Jurançon, who make
excellent wines - well at least one of them was pretty good.

Steve

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/25/2014 12:05 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Monday, May 29, 2006 12:27:20 AM UTC-4, Wine Hedonist wrote:
>> Has anyone here ever heard of, or bought wine from Montesquieu? Just
>> curious...
>>
>> WH

> After bouncing around various newsreaders that ceased operations, I started using Google Groups (partially to irritate Lipton). Then last week for a couple of days GG wasn't completing posts. So I used my Optonline/Cablevision account & Windows Mail to post a couple notes here. On one I missed that my email sig was attached by mail (with office phone number listed).
> So a day or two later I'm in office, and I get a call. "This (someone) from Montesquieu. You've been referred to me as someone who likes wine. So, tell me, do you like the red or the white?"
> I said "generally the purple" and hung up.
> I don't think anyone here is likely to buy from hard pressure telemarketers, but for the record Montesquieu (formerly Gerhardt) is pretty infamous for buying cheap private label stuff and passing off as the cult wine you've never heard of.
> I can't say for certain it was posting here that did it, but pretty strong coincidence that within a couple days I get a call at office- first cold call here in a decade.

Sorry about that Dale, just remember that Thunderbird not only works
fine as a newsreader it has a solid wine connection. Who can forget
"Thunderbird on the rocks?!"?

--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:48:14 PM UTC-7, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> On 3/25/2014 12:05 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > On Monday, May 29, 2006 12:27:20 AM UTC-4, Wine Hedonist wrote:

> >> Has anyone here ever heard of, or bought wine from Montesquieu? Just

> >> curious...

> >> WH

> > After bouncing around various newsreaders that ceased operations, I started using Google Groups (partially to irritate Lipton). Then last week for a couple of days GG wasn't completing posts. So I used my Optonline/Cablevision account & Windows Mail to post a couple notes here. On one I missed that my email sig was attached by mail (with office phone number listed).

> > So a day or two later I'm in office, and I get a call. "This (someone) from Montesquieu. You've been referred to me as someone who likes wine. So, tell me, do you like the red or the white?"

> > I said "generally the purple" and hung up.

> > I don't think anyone here is likely to buy from hard pressure telemarketers, but for the record Montesquieu (formerly Gerhardt) is pretty infamous for buying cheap private label stuff and passing off as the cult wine you've never heard of.

> > I can't say for certain it was posting here that did it, but pretty strong coincidence that within a couple days I get a call at office- first cold call here in a decade.

> Sorry about that Dale, just remember that Thunderbird not only works
>
> fine as a newsreader it has a solid wine connection. Who can forget
>
> "Thunderbird on the rocks?!"?
>

> --
>
> Joseph Coulter

I use nntp.aloe.org as the way to get from Thunderbird to the newsgroup but sometimes the connection is refused.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 26.03.2014 03:42, lleichtman wrote:

<snipped>
> I use nntp.aloe.org as the way to get from Thunderbird to the newsgroup but sometimes the connection is refused.

I use news.aioe.org. Never had a problem!

--
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria