Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do Mexicans Really Eat Salad?

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 15:57:18 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:54:42 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:50:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:

> >> The thing I like and find interesting about this program is that she
> >> cooks an amalgam of flavors. She will make a meat loaf, but make it
> >> Mexican or a salsa and add just a tiny twist of non-Mexican
> >> ingredients. I suspect that is the way of much Mexican food these
> >> days for those Mexicans living in more metropolitan areas. I like
> >> her. She's no Rick Bayliss for sure, but she isn't trying to preserve
> >> an ethnic food. She shows what she makes for her family and what she
> >> picked up from her mother.

> >Seems similar to Daisy, whose show I liked a lot. Wish they had been
> >more popular!

> Perhaps with the growing popularity of Mexican food in the US, shows
> like this will stick around.
> Janet

One can only hope!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 10:39 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 9:58 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> We have a couple of restaurants south of the border here that do
>> prepare more traditional Mexican fare. They also have the border food
>> on their menus for tourists and Tex Mex aficionados.
>>

> When we were in Mexico in January, we ate at the Pavita Iguana House and
> at Angel's Restaurant, up on the 4th floor. Angel's brought out a bowl
> of jalapenos and I ate about 6 of them with dinner. The food was good at
> both places. On the American side, we had barbacoa served with home made
> chile verde and it was also very good. I think George is ready to retire
> down there.
>
> Becca

I'm not familiar with the first one, but I do love Angel's on the 4th
floor. They have awesome Panchos and the very best fish tacos in Nuevo
Progreso.

You can get barbacoa on Saturday and Sunday at half the gas station
convenience stores in The Valley. It is very popular here.

Any time you and George want to come down and look around, let us know.
We have a room for y'all.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 12:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:26:12 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> My neighbor recently got back from a trip to the gulf coast side of Mexico

> Speaking of the Gulf Coast... has everyone noticed how the oil spill
> cleanup and resulting lawsuits have not been mentioned in the news for
> weeks? I bet BP would like it to stay that way too.
>
> Are you getting seafood from the Gulf yet? If so, is it minimal or
> back to what it was?

We never had a problem with the spill effecting our seafood production
down here. Lots of great shrimp and decent prices all winter long. Just
had some raw oysters and fried oysters and shrimp today at Dirty Al's on
South Padre Island. Yum!!!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 2:16 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> Doug > wrote:
>>
>>> When I was in Rosarito and Ensenada in Baja California del Norte there
>>> were salads available at all the places I ate, so salads are common in
>>> one of the states in Mexico. They came with a white sauce lighter than
>>> ranch.

>> Interesting. Thanks.

> I definitely risked Montezuma's revenge eating salads in Baja. They
> tasted great and I lucked out.

<g> one of the first phrases taught to Gringos visiting Mexico is: "sin
lechuga"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 3:17 PM, George wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 10:58 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> My neighbor recently got back from a trip to the gulf coast side of
>>> Mexico and she expressed surprise (!) that the food was not at all spicy
>>> and they ate a lot of fish. Also 'salads'. And the markets had many
>>> different types of greens and fruit. In the U.S. we tend to think of
>>> everything Mexican by 'Tex Mex'. Refried beans, tamales, tacos. Oh sure,
>>> they eat tacos. They're not like anything you can get at Taco Bell,
>>> though. Avocado, anyone?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've been trying to tell people this for years. I love the cuisine of
>> interior Mexico. I really don't care at all for Tex Mex or "Border Food"
>> I much prefer flavor to fire.

> There is a fantastic mom & pop place in a nearby town. The family came
> from Oaxaca and make authentic food. I have sent numerous people there
> only to be later told that it wasn't authentic because they don't have
> hard tacos or the "aplebees taco bowl".

Name and location, please.

BTW, it's hard to find hard tacos here in The Valley. Very few places
offer them and most of the places that do are called Taco Bell.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 20:04:23 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> We never had a problem with the spill effecting our seafood production
> down here. Lots of great shrimp and decent prices all winter long. Just
> had some raw oysters and fried oysters and shrimp today at Dirty Al's on
> South Padre Island. Yum!!!

Glad to hear that, Janet. Do you know how badly the wetlands were
affected by the spill?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 8:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 20:04:23 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> We never had a problem with the spill effecting our seafood production
>> down here. Lots of great shrimp and decent prices all winter long. Just
>> had some raw oysters and fried oysters and shrimp today at Dirty Al's on
>> South Padre Island. Yum!!!

> Glad to hear that, Janet. Do you know how badly the wetlands were
> affected by the spill?

We are so far from the area of the spill down here that there was no
effect at all other than rising gasoline prices which, I believe,
everyone experienced. I think there are some real problems up where the
spill was but no one is talking about it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 22:01:05 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I think there are some real problems up where the
> spill was but no one is talking about it.

Okay, thanks. I wondered if local news covered that sort of thing.
We don't hear anything about it here either. I see oil companies got
their usual tax breaks this week, as did the rich, while the middle
class continues to take it in the shorts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 5:57 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:54:42 -0800, > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:50:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>> The thing I like and find interesting about this program is that she
>>> cooks an amalgam of flavors. She will make a meat loaf, but make it
>>> Mexican or a salsa and add just a tiny twist of non-Mexican
>>> ingredients. I suspect that is the way of much Mexican food these
>>> days for those Mexicans living in more metropolitan areas. I like
>>> her. She's no Rick Bayliss for sure, but she isn't trying to preserve
>>> an ethnic food. She shows what she makes for her family and what she
>>> picked up from her mother.

>> Seems similar to Daisy, whose show I liked a lot. Wish they had been
>> more popular!

> Perhaps with the growing popularity of Mexican food in the US, shows
> like this will stick around.
> Janet

I suspect the shows die off quickly because many would view what they
are showing as really strange since it doesn't resemble anything they
know as Mexican (no hard tacos, dishes don't have an inch of melted
cheese on them etc).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-03-04, George > wrote:

> know as Mexican (no hard tacos....

????

Hard tacos are strictly a gringo fabrication.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Mar 2011 13:11:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-03-04, George > wrote:
>
> > know as Mexican (no hard tacos....

> ????
>
> Hard tacos are strictly a gringo fabrication.

He made it clear that was the case, nb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2011 8:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the first one, but I do love Angel's on the 4th
> floor. They have awesome Panchos and the very best fish tacos in Nuevo
> Progreso.
>
> You can get barbacoa on Saturday and Sunday at half the gas station
> convenience stores in The Valley. It is very popular here.
>
> Any time you and George want to come down and look around, let us
> know. We have a room for y'all.

Janet, we had the barbacoa at Senior Taco's in Weslaco, we both enjoyed
it. I will try to let you know when we are coming, but we tend to go on
a whim.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 7:11 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-03-04, > wrote:
>
>> know as Mexican (no hard tacos....

> ????
>
> Hard tacos are strictly a gringo fabrication.

Not so, mi amigo. Mi amiga, Evelinda, is from New Mexico. They like
their hard taco shells there in the Grants area where she grew up in a
Latino home.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 12:21 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 8:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the first one, but I do love Angel's on the 4th
>> floor. They have awesome Panchos and the very best fish tacos in Nuevo
>> Progreso.
>>
>> You can get barbacoa on Saturday and Sunday at half the gas station
>> convenience stores in The Valley. It is very popular here.
>>
>> Any time you and George want to come down and look around, let us
>> know. We have a room for y'all.
>>

> Janet, we had the barbacoa at Senior Taco's in Weslaco, we both enjoyed
> it. I will try to let you know when we are coming, but we tend to go on
> a whim.

Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a try the next time I'm in Weslaco.

Whenever you have the whim, give us a holler. We love having visitors. I
make excellent margaritas from scratch. No mix.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 2:47 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/4/2011 7:11 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2011-03-04, > wrote:
>>
>>> know as Mexican (no hard tacos....

>> ????
>>
>> Hard tacos are strictly a gringo fabrication.
>>

> Not so, mi amigo. Mi amiga, Evelinda, is from New Mexico. They like
> their hard taco shells there in the Grants area where she grew up in a
> Latino home.

Pretty good description of hard tacos on Wikipedia:

"Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles
of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[10] The
style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version
first described in a cookbook authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert
and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949. These have been sold by
restaurants and by fast food chains. Even non-Mexican oriented fast food
restaurants have sold tacos. Mass production of this type of taco was
encouraged by the invention of devices to hold the tortillas in the
U-shape as they were deep-fried. A patent for such a device was issued
to New York restaurateur Juvenico Maldonado in 1950, based on his patent
filing of 1947 (U.S. Patent No. 2,506,305).[11][12] Such tacos are
crisp-fried corn tortillas filled with seasoned ground beef, cheese,
lettuce, and sometimes tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and avocado or
guacamole.[13] In this context, soft tacos are tacos made with wheat
flour tortillas and filled with the same ingredients as a hard taco.[14]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:

> My neighbor recently got back from a trip to the gulf coast side of Mexico
> and she expressed surprise (!) that the food was not at all spicy and they
> ate a lot of fish. Also 'salads'. And the markets had many different types
> of greens and fruit. In the U.S. we tend to think of everything Mexican by
> 'Tex Mex'. Refried beans, tamales, tacos.

Actually, "Tex-Mex" is a style of food from along the Rio Grande valley.

A series of off-base food writers, possibly beginning with
Diane Kennedy but eventually comprising several others, started
calling any Mexican food north of Mexico "Tex-Mex", but
I don't consider this accepted terminology. It certainly isn't
logical.

It's much more accurate to call Mexican food prevalent in California
"Sonoran". It certainly has got nothing to do with Texas. Geographically,
you have Baja, Sonora/California, New Mexico, and Texas forming
a sort of arc and representing four fairly different styles of
Mexican food.

I would say in the U.S. nationally, once you get into areas that
are not and never were part of Mexico, the Sonoran/Californian style
has the most penetration. This may be changing now that you have
a growing diaspora from central Mexico, Central America, etc.
But there still is not a lot I'd call Tex-Mex nationally.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 7:12 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> My neighbor recently got back from a trip to the gulf coast side of Mexico
>> and she expressed surprise (!) that the food was not at all spicy and they
>> ate a lot of fish. Also 'salads'. And the markets had many different types
>> of greens and fruit. In the U.S. we tend to think of everything Mexican by
>> 'Tex Mex'. Refried beans, tamales, tacos.

> Actually, "Tex-Mex" is a style of food from along the Rio Grande valley.
>
> A series of off-base food writers, possibly beginning with
> Diane Kennedy but eventually comprising several others, started
> calling any Mexican food north of Mexico "Tex-Mex", but
> I don't consider this accepted terminology. It certainly isn't
> logical.
>
> It's much more accurate to call Mexican food prevalent in California
> "Sonoran". It certainly has got nothing to do with Texas. Geographically,
> you have Baja, Sonora/California, New Mexico, and Texas forming
> a sort of arc and representing four fairly different styles of
> Mexican food.

But Tex-Mex food descends from Sonoran.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

"Not": obvious change in "Reply To"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/03/2011 7:12 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

> I would say in the U.S. nationally, once you get into areas that
> are not and never were part of Mexico, the Sonoran/Californian style
> has the most penetration. This may be changing now that you have
> a growing diaspora from central Mexico, Central America, etc.
> But there still is not a lot I'd call Tex-Mex nationally.

I would say that, considering that from Texas up to Washington, most of
the US west and north west was Mexico, any dish that is at all hispanic,
would be Mexican.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

> But Tex-Mex food descends from Sonoran.

This is possible, but there's a lot of country between
Sonora and Texas.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>On 04/03/2011 7:12 PM, Steve Pope wrote:

>> I would say in the U.S. nationally, once you get into areas that
>> are not and never were part of Mexico, the Sonoran/Californian style
>> has the most penetration. This may be changing now that you have
>> a growing diaspora from central Mexico, Central America, etc.
>> But there still is not a lot I'd call Tex-Mex nationally.

>I would say that, considering that from Texas up to Washington, most of
>the US west and north west was Mexico, any dish that is at all hispanic,
>would be Mexican.

Yes, but some food writers insist that now that the U.S. has
annexed 1/3 of Mexico, the Mexican food in Occupied Mexico must now
be considered non-authentic.

I suppose the Norteno folk music I always hear when I turn
on the radio is not authentic Mexican music either.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2011 6:12 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> My neighbor recently got back from a trip to the gulf coast side of Mexico
>> and she expressed surprise (!) that the food was not at all spicy and they
>> ate a lot of fish. Also 'salads'. And the markets had many different types
>> of greens and fruit. In the U.S. we tend to think of everything Mexican by
>> 'Tex Mex'. Refried beans, tamales, tacos.

> Actually, "Tex-Mex" is a style of food from along the Rio Grande valley.

<snipped>

Absolutely correct. What is known as "Tex Mex" is really northern
Tamulipas peasant food. The joke around here is that everything comes in
a tortilla.

The hot peppers are a standard in countries where the weather is very
warm, though I have never eaten enough of them to experience the
so-called cooling effect they are supposed to have.

Refritos (refried beans) are included in every meal. Almost every meal
consists of something wrapped in a tortilla. Then there are tortillas on
the table as well. A serving of red rice goes next to the refritos on
every plate with a couple of shreds of lettuce.

A typical Rio Grande breakfast is scrambled eggs with refritos and
chorizo wrapped in a flour tortilla. If you don't want to wrap your
breakfast in a tortilla, there is migas, which is scrambled eggs with
additions of your choice and pieces of torn tortilla in the egg. Can't
get away without the tortilla.

Lunches are also some form of taco, that is anything wrapped in a
tortilla. In the cooler seasons, caldos are popular. they are soups
that contain lots of veggies and cabbage is prominent. Of course there
is tortilla soup.

Holidays are special. They don't wrap the food in a tortilla, they wrap
it in corn husks painted with lard-laden corn meal mixture and steam it.
I love tamales even though they give me terrible heartburn.

It's not that I don't like the local cuisine, it's that I just find it
tiresome and over-spiced.

There are a few restaurants around that serve more traditional Interior
Mexican cuisine or even "nouveau" Mexican which can be quite tasty and
creative. One place here in Harlingen makes a wonderful quesadilla with
fresh baby spinach leaves and white cheese served with grilled squash
sauces with a lovely white wine cheese sauce.

After all this, my daughter tells me that my two granddaughters who will
be visiting with their mom in April are looking forward to my chicken
enchiladas that they had here 2 years ago. Gotta make the kids happy.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:11:09 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> That sounds really good. Bayless gets lots of airtime here recently
>> with the new restaurants he opened at O'hare. He's kinda annoying on
>> TV but his food sure looks great.
>>
>> Lou

>He's opened up someplace to eat at O'Hare!? Saints be praised!! I'll be
>flying in/out of Chicago in May but of course hope to hit his restaurant
>on Cinco de Mayo (which he may not actually celebrate, since he tends to
>be more authentic Mexican. Any clue?). The airport will be a handy fall
>back plan.

One opened a couple months ago and another will open in May. I don't
know how he feels about cinco de mayo.

<http://www.suntimes.com/4077127-417/guide-ohare-has-one-of-top-10-airport-food-outlets.html>

Here's the menu from Tortas Frontera. The prices don't seem to bad
for airport food and I see he's got salad on the

http://www.rickbayless.com/news/view?articleID=171

On TV he talked about how they had worked on packaging to keep food
warm and fresh long enough for people to take it on their flight.
Maybe this is a step towards us being known to eat something other
than hot dogs and deep dish pizza.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 4:22*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 00:12:03 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
>
> Pope) wrote:
> >It's much more accurate to call Mexican food prevalent in California
> >"Sonoran". *It certainly has got nothing to do with Texas. *Geographically,
> >you have Baja, Sonora/California, New Mexico, and Texas forming
> >a sort of arc and representing four fairly different styles of
> >Mexican food.

> And New Mexican is a whole 'nother ballgame..LOL. *

Having long been familiar with the bean-no bean debate, I was richly
surprised to find that New Mexican chili was made from chili peppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 5:04*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> >On 04/03/2011 7:12 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> >> I would say in the U.S. nationally, once you get into areas that
> >> are not and never were part of Mexico, the Sonoran/Californian style
> >> has the most penetration. *This may be changing now that you have
> >> a growing diaspora from central Mexico, Central America, etc.
> >> But there still is not a lot I'd call Tex-Mex nationally.

> >I would say that, considering that from Texas up to Washington, most of
> >the US west and north west was Mexico, any dish that is at all hispanic,
> >would be Mexican.

> Yes, but some food writers insist that now that the U.S. has
> annexed 1/3 of Mexico, the Mexican food in Occupied Mexico must now
> be considered non-authentic.
>
> I suppose the Norteno folk music I always hear when I turn
> on the radio is not authentic Mexican music either.

I love that Mexican polka.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:50:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:50:08 -0800, sf > wrote:

> > >Not familiar with that one. I used to like Daisy Martinez, but
> > >haven't seen her show in a long time. Are either one of them still on
> > >the air? I was disappointed to find there wasn't much selection in
> > >shows when I tried to view "full episodes".

> > The thing I like and find interesting about this program is that she
> > cooks an amalgam of flavors. She will make a meat loaf, but make it
> > Mexican or a salsa and add just a tiny twist of non-Mexican
> > ingredients. I suspect that is the way of much Mexican food these
> > days for those Mexicans living in more metropolitan areas. I like
> > her. She's no Rick Bayliss for sure, but she isn't trying to preserve
> > an ethnic food. She shows what she makes for her family and what she
> > picked up from her mother.

> Seems similar to Daisy, whose show I liked a lot. Wish they had been
> more popular!

Has Daisy Martinez moved to Mexican foods? The programmes of hers I've
seen displayed Puerto Rican and other Caribbean Hispanic foods. Never
saw anything I'd know as Mexican.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 3/4/2011 7:11 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2011-03-04, > wrote:
> >
> >> know as Mexican (no hard tacos....

> > ????
> >
> > Hard tacos are strictly a gringo fabrication.
> >

> Not so, mi amigo. Mi amiga, Evelinda, is from New Mexico. They like
> their hard taco shells there in the Grants area where she grew up in a
> Latino home.

But unlikely to be found in Mexico proper. Of course people would adapt
to what's available locally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:41:46 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:50:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:

> > > The thing I like and find interesting about this program is that she
> > > cooks an amalgam of flavors. She will make a meat loaf, but make it
> > > Mexican or a salsa and add just a tiny twist of non-Mexican
> > > ingredients. I suspect that is the way of much Mexican food these
> > > days for those Mexicans living in more metropolitan areas. I like
> > > her. She's no Rick Bayliss for sure, but she isn't trying to preserve
> > > an ethnic food. She shows what she makes for her family and what she
> > > picked up from her mother.

> > Seems similar to Daisy, whose show I liked a lot. Wish they had been
> > more popular!
> >

> Has Daisy Martinez moved to Mexican foods? The programmes of hers I've
> seen displayed Puerto Rican and other Caribbean Hispanic foods. Never
> saw anything I'd know as Mexican.

Does it really matter? She's not on anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 12:57*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> We've all probably seen taco salads on menus but is that just some
> theme restaurant thing or is there anything authentic about it? *The
> mexi places I've been to just serve shredded lettuce and chopped
> tomatoes. *
>
> We had salad planned for tonight but I had a bug in my butt for
> zucchini pancakes. *So I'm trying to make them work together.
> Unfortunatly I don't have a zuk so I'll use canned corn. *We're on a
> mission to live off the larder for awhile as there's too much stuff
> here. *When I *make the pancakes I top with cheddar and serve with
> sour cream and/or salsa. *So we're kinda leaning mexi and it won't be
> very good with a *salad topped with ranch dressing.
>
> So I googled Mexican salad dressing and was shocked at how much is out
> there. *I've got plenty of shredded chicken that been seasoned with a
> generic taco seasoning for the salad. *Also baby portabellos, onion,
> tomato, ramiro pepper, carrot, and whatever else I find in the fridge.
>
> I found the recipe below which looks pretty good but another one had
> vinegar, dry mustard and celery seed which all sound like good
> additions also. *One salad recipe called for chili beans in the salad
> which I have but I don't know if I'm going to far and if the dressing
> will clash with the beans or chicken seasoning.
>
> Any input is appreciated on what is probably going to be an unusual
> meal.
>
> MEXICAN SALAD DRESSING
> Printed from COOKS.COM
>
> Read more about it atwww.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,145160-239204,00.html
> Content Copyright 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
>
> 1/4 c. lemon juice
> 1/4 c. water
> 1/2 c. olive oil
> 1 sm. onion
> 2 fresh green chiles
> 3 sprigs parsley, fresh
> 2 cloves garlic
> 1 tsp. cilantro
> 1/2 tsp. cumin
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> Put all ingredients in blender and blend until onion and pepper are
> chopped fine.

I just returned from Mexico, the food I ate was not at all like the
Mexican food we have in Texas or the food in New Mexico. I saw salads,
many with a fruit base and fruit dressings, aloso fresh veggie salads,
salad made with potatoesd- yeah , Potato salad. Bean , well all sorts
of thing and a good variety of dressings.

The food was was wonderful- huachinango( red snapper ) pork loin in
Hibiscus sauce, many fresh seafood ceviches and wonderful soups.Yumm.
Lamb chops and roasts, chicken and turkey. The desserts were to die
for.

Guess I did get off the salad dressing subject, sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 17:19:31 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 3/6/2011 8:32 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:46:51 -0600, Janet Wilder
> >>
> >> I'm with you on the red for enchiladas. I make my own sauce. Daughter
> >> and grandgirls are coming in April and have already placed an order for
> >> Grandma's chicken enchiladas.

> > I prefer green for chicken and pork, red for beef. Please post your
> > sauce recipe. I'm all "ears"!
> >

> Yoour wish s my command:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Enchilada Sauce

You're such a sweetie pie! Snipped and saved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:41:46 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:50:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick

> > > Seems similar to Daisy, whose show I liked a lot. Wish they had been
> > > more popular!
> > >

> > Has Daisy Martinez moved to Mexican foods? The programmes of hers I've
> > seen displayed Puerto Rican and other Caribbean Hispanic foods. Never
> > saw anything I'd know as Mexican.

> Does it really matter? She's not on anyway.

Sometimes she is on on our local PBS station. Programming varies
nationally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:59:21 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
> >

> > I'm with you on the red for enchiladas. I make my own sauce. Daughter
> > and grandgirls are coming in April and have already placed an order for
> > Grandma's chicken enchiladas.

> I don't mind green enchiladas, but just prefer red. Your girls have good
> taste

<cough> Well, I play on the other team and I beg to differ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 08:45:51 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I like green on cheese enchiladas.

I just don't understand how you can't prefer green on chicken and
pork!

What happens when Mexicans pick your vegetables brad herschel General Cooking 2 27-12-2010 08:47 AM
How to cook Mexicans??? Ed Zagmoon Mexican Cooking 7 17-01-2007 01:34 AM
Mexicans huck Mexican Cooking 13 20-02-2006 06:45 PM
Is cooking Mexicans legal ??? Gerry Lintonice Mexican Cooking 8 29-09-2005 11:52 PM
Why Do Mexicans Like Cumin? Way Back Jack General Cooking 23 06-07-2005 11:04 AM