Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White break. Was Subliminal thinking

ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Feb 25, 10:42*am, sf > wrote:
>
>> Ugh! *A sandwich made of white bread and deep fried potatoes isn't
>> exactly health healthy food.

> When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
> lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
> You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
> potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.
>
> I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. I haven't had one
> for a very long time. The last time I ate one was because I was
> telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
> the way we remembered. It did.
>
> We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
> cheddar.

Which brings up a very good point!

We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
strong bodies?

Whatever!

That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
to kill us off!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 25, 10:42*am, sf > wrote:
> >
> >> Ugh! *A sandwich made of white bread and deep fried potatoes isn't
> >> exactly health healthy food.

> > When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
> > lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
> > You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
> > potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.
> >
> > I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. I haven't had one
> > for a very long time. The last time I ate one was because I was
> > telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
> > the way we remembered. It did.
> >
> > We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
> > cheddar.

> Which brings up a very good point!
>
> We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> strong bodies?
>
> Whatever!
>
> That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> to kill us off!!!
>
> Andy

We have a guy at the track we call Kong. 6'7" and jacked (very
muscular). The funniest thing is his wife gives him lunch in a
Wonderbread lunchbox and it's just funny to see this guy with that
little spotted box that looks like a loaf of the stuff
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 25, 10:42 am, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Ugh! A sandwich made of white bread and deep fried potatoes isn't
>>> exactly health healthy food.

>> When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
>> lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
>> You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
>> potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.
>>
>> I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. I haven't had one
>> for a very long time. The last time I ate one was because I was
>> telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
>> the way we remembered. It did.
>>
>> We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
>> cheddar.

> Which brings up a very good point!
>
> We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> strong bodies?
>
> Whatever!
>
> That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> to kill us off!!!

We had that or a store brand white bread. My mom ate neither and really we
weren't allowed to have bread very often. It was kept in the freezer. We
mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 2:44*pm, I_am_Tosk > wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> > ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
> > > lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
> > > You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
> > > potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.

> > > I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. * * I haven't had one
> > > for a very long time. * The last time I ate one was because I was
> > > telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
> > > the way we remembered. * *It did.

> > > We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
> > > cheddar.

> > Which brings up a very good point!

> > We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> > strong bodies?

> > Whatever!

> > That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> > to kill us off!!!

> > Andy

> We have a guy at the track we call Kong. 6'7" and jacked (very
> muscular). The funniest thing is his wife gives him lunch in a
> Wonderbread lunchbox and it's just funny to see this guy with that
> little spotted box that looks like a loaf of the stuff

For years, a thrifty co-worker brought his lunch in the Knight Rider
lunch box his son had gotten tired of. Funny to see him pour whatever
beverage it was from his Knight Rider thermos. He would also wear
shirts until they were threadbare. I asked him about it once, and he
expostulated, "It's just for work!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 5:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > ImStillMags > wrote:

> >> When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
> >> lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
> >> You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
> >> potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.

> >> I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. * * I haven't had one
> >> for a very long time. * The last time I ate one was because I was
> >> telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
> >> the way we remembered. * *It did.

> >> We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
> >> cheddar.

> > Which brings up a very good point!

> > We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> > strong bodies?

> > Whatever!

> > That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> > to kill us off!!!

> We had that or a store brand white bread. *My mom ate neither and really we
> weren't allowed to have bread very often. *It was kept in the freezer. *We
> mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.

You "weren't allowed to have bread very often"? Were your parents
hardcore low-carbers?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 25, 3:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We had that or a store brand white bread. *My mom ate neither and really we
> weren't allowed to have bread very often. *It was kept in the freezer. *We
> mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.- Hide quoted text -

Wow, when I grew up (and in the South in general) there was a bread
plate on the table with about a half a loaf of bread on it at
dinner. You ate with a fork in one hand and a folded piece of bread
in the other hand...for pushing food on your fork and then taking a
bit and for 'sopping' up the gravy.

Even today in a lot of bbq joints, you get a stack of white bread with
your bbq dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 3:56*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 3:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > We had that or a store brand white bread. *My mom ate neither and really we
> > weren't allowed to have bread very often. *It was kept in the freezer.. *We
> > mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.- Hide quoted text -

> Wow, when I grew up (and in the South in general) there was a bread
> plate on the table with about a half a loaf of bread on it at
> dinner. * *You ate with a fork in one hand and a folded piece of bread
> in the other hand...for pushing food on your fork and then taking a
> bit and for 'sopping' up the gravy.

In the extended family, only my mom's uncle the baker ate bread with
his dinner. We always had some starch at dinner time, making bread
redundant. Bread was for sandwiches, breakfast toast, or to tide you
over between the time you got home from school and dinnertime.

> Even today in a lot of bbq joints, you get a stack of white bread with
> your bbq dinner.

There you need something to sop up the grease from the meat. But do
BBQ joints serve up starch with their meals? I can picture potato
salad or mac 'n' cheese, but not something whose taste would be
improved by grease.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/02/2011 7:10 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> In the extended family, only my mom's uncle the baker ate bread with
> his dinner. We always had some starch at dinner time, making bread
> redundant. Bread was for sandwiches, breakfast toast, or to tide you
> over between the time you got home from school and dMOSTinnertime.

Most of the bread I eat is in the form of toast, usually one or two
slices are breakfast every two or three days. At supper I usually have
rolls, but if I have rice or potatoes I forgo the roll.

> There you need something to sop up the grease from the meat. But do
> BBQ joints serve up starch with their meals? I can picture potato
> salad or mac 'n' cheese, but not something whose taste would be
> improved by grease.

My father in law used to use bread to sop up salad dressing leftover on
his plate or in his salad bowl. He was the only person who I ever saw do
that. Then a few years ago I noticed that my son was doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 25, 4:32*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> My father in law used to use bread to sop up salad dressing leftover on
> his plate or in his salad bowl. He was the only person who I ever saw do
> that. Then a few years ago I noticed that my son was doing it.

I make my own bread....but I still do the same thing, salad dressing,
gravy, whatever juices are left over get soaked up by the bread.
Yum.

I even do the old Italian thing and put a little wine in my empty soup
bowl and clean it out with a chunk of bread.

Wine and bread.....yum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Julie,
>
> Meatloaf sandwiches, another good topic but we never had leftovers of
> that stuff.

I learned recently that my mom always made two. That's the only way we had
leftovers.

> I'll be my typical broken record self... self... self...
>
> I didn't know the meaning of hungover until I sat down in 1st grade to
> open my lunchbox for my bread and butter sandwich and banana. I flipped
> up the lid and there was Mom's wallet. Credit cards, cash, THE WORKS!
> Then and there I made a 1st grade executive decision to buy a hot lunch
> AND cartons of chocolate milk. I was bright enough not to use the credit
> card for a 35¢ hot lunch. The things money can buy! I learned more in
> that one day than I did through 5th grade. I thought about running away
> and retiring. I was even brighter to just go home. <VBG>

Oh that's funny! I heard a story from one of the moms at my daughter's
dance studio. She said when her daughter was in preschool, she would feed
her breakfast at home and then drop her off for the day while she went to
work. The following month when she went to pay her bill she was stunned at
how high it was. Her daughter learned that she could get breakfast each
morning and put it on her mom's tab. The mom put a quick stop to that!

Once, my parents went away for the weekend, leaving my brother and I home
with some money in case we decided we needed to buy some additional food.
And of course we did! We walked up to the store where we got some kind of
frozen cream pie. I think it had ice cream in it because I remember we at
the whole thing for dinner, frozen. Odd that I would pick it out because I
have an extreme dislike for whipped cream, never liked ice cream and didn't
really even like pie. I just remember it looking soooo alluring and like
something we wouldn't normally be allowed to have. I don't remember it
tasting all that good. But we did eat the whole pie and nothing else for
dinner that night because we wanted all evidence of it out of the house. We
also bought a cantaloupe. That was another food we didn't have in the house
normally because my mom couldn't stand the smell of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Feb 25, 5:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in
> > ImStillMags > wrote:

> >> When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
> >> lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
> >> You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
> >> potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.

> >> I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. I haven't had one
> >> for a very long time. The last time I ate one was because I was
> >> telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
> >> the way we remembered. It did.

> >> We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
> >> cheddar.

> > Which brings up a very good point!

> > We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> > strong bodies?

> > Whatever!

> > That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> > to kill us off!!!

> We had that or a store brand white bread. My mom ate neither and really we
> weren't allowed to have bread very often. It was kept in the freezer. We
> mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.

You "weren't allowed to have bread very often"? Were your parents
hardcore low-carbers?

---
My dad was and is the junk food King. When he was working, he would make
stops on the way home at the day old bakery and some place that sold candy
"goofs". My friends liked to be at the house when he came in. He always
had something with him.

My mom, OTOH preferred to shop at health food stores. She raised us to
believe that bread was evil. She really had no particular reason except to
say that it would make us fat. She also said the same thing about cheese.
We were allowed to have cheese. Just not very much at once. I can remember
the first time I saw a dietician. She had this plastic food and she asked
me to show her how much I thought a serving was. I got everything right
except for the cheese. I waaay underestimated the amount of cheese. I
remember saying, "I can eat THAT much?" She said I was the only patient she
ever had that did that. Most people overestimated the amount they could
have.

I guess it was the fat in the cheese my mom was opposed to. But apparently
she got over it because these days she orders things with extra cheese. She
still won't eat bread though. She does have arthritis and she says that
wheat and nightshades give her pain. Which they may well do. I have read
about a connection.

I do not have the same kind of arthritis she has though. She has
Rheumatoid. I have Psoriatic, if indeed I actually do have that. I am not
entirely sure that I believe the Dr. who diagnosed me. And I do not have
the typical symptoms of it. At any rate, wheat or nightshades have never
been a problem for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Feb 25, 3:09 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We had that or a store brand white bread. My mom ate neither and really we
> weren't allowed to have bread very often. It was kept in the freezer. We
> mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.- Hide
> quoted text -

Wow, when I grew up (and in the South in general) there was a bread
plate on the table with about a half a loaf of bread on it at
dinner. You ate with a fork in one hand and a folded piece of bread
in the other hand...for pushing food on your fork and then taking a
bit and for 'sopping' up the gravy.

Even today in a lot of bbq joints, you get a stack of white bread with
your bbq dinner.

---

I can remember seeing paintings and photos of people with bread on their
table, either on a plate or straight out of the bag. I asked my dad about
that and he said most people ate it with their meals. But he told me the
reason they did that was because bread was cheap. He said if they couldn't
afford to feed the whole family a lot of meat, they would put the bread out
and hope the family would fill up on that.

I have never personally eaten at a house where they put bread on the table
but they might have rolls on special occasions, as we did. My mom used to
buy those horrid Brown and Serve ones. I think she was the only one who
really liked them. Now she serves King's Hawaiin rolls but only on special
occasions, like Thanksgiving.

I only remember getting plain cheap slices of bread at one restaurant. It
was a hole in the wall place in Alameda, CA. Half of the place was
decorated one way and the other half another way. Had a huge menu that read
like a book. About half of it was Thai food and the other half, American.
I used to get what they called Salisbury Steak but it really wasn't. At
least I don't think so. My brother used to make it and he always put bread
crumbs in it. My mom let him make that meal when we had company. She
didn't like to cook. All the recipes I've seen for it have crumbs or some
kind of filler. But they used no filler in their meat at this place. It
was just ground sirloin served in a huge, oval patty. It was topped with
grilled green peppers, white onions and slathered in brown gravy. Came with
a side of starch of your choice. I always had mashed potatoes. The menu
said it came with rolls. But they didn't bring any. So when I asked for
the rolls, I got a stack of cheap white bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 5:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > ImStillMags > wrote:

> >> When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
> >> lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
> >> You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
> >> potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.

> >> I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. * * I haven't had one
> >> for a very long time. * The last time I ate one was because I was
> >> telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
> >> the way we remembered. * *It did.

> >> We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
> >> cheddar.

> > Which brings up a very good point!

> > We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> > strong bodies?

> > Whatever!

> > That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> > to kill us off!!!

> We had that or a store brand white bread. *My mom ate neither and really we
> weren't allowed to have bread very often. *It was kept in the freezer. *We
> mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.

I never had Wonder bread when I was a kid. Our parents were *quite
frugal* and I remember after being out on my own finding out that
Wonder bread sucked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 5:23*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2:44*pm, I_am_Tosk > wrote:

> > > Which brings up a very good point!

> > > We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> > > strong bodies?

> > > Whatever!

> > > That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> > > to kill us off!!!

> > > Andy

> > We have a guy at the track we call Kong. 6'7" and jacked (very
> > muscular). The funniest thing is his wife gives him lunch in a
> > Wonderbread lunchbox and it's just funny to see this guy with that
> > little spotted box that looks like a loaf of the stuff

> For years, a thrifty co-worker brought his lunch in the Knight Rider
> lunch box his son had gotten tired of. Funny to see him pour whatever
> beverage it was from his Knight Rider thermos. He would also wear
> shirts until they were threadbare. I asked him about it once, and he
> expostulated, "It's just for work!"

Well done. Use it up, wear it out. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 5:56*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 3:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > We had that or a store brand white bread. *My mom ate neither and really we
> > weren't allowed to have bread very often. *It was kept in the freezer.. *We
> > mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.- Hide quoted text -

> Wow, when I grew up (and in the South in general) there was a bread
> plate on the table with about a half a loaf of bread on it at
> dinner. * *You ate with a fork in one hand and a folded piece of bread
> in the other hand...for pushing food on your fork and then taking a
> bit and for 'sopping' up the gravy.
>
> Even today in a lot of bbq joints, you get a stack of white bread with
> your bbq dinner.

And that's why they suck. Fill up on bread, don't notice the sub-par
food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

>I even do the old Italian thing and put a little wine in my empty soup
>bowl and clean it out with a chunk of bread.

I've never seen an Italian do this.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 11:27*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>. *My mom used to buy those horrid Brown and Serve ones. *I think she was the only one who
> really liked them. *

I hated those too. I didn't really like bread when i was a kid,
except at restaurants that served crusty bread with lots of butter.

> Now she serves King's Hawaiin rolls but only on special
> occasions, like Thanksgiving.

I remember those too. I thought they were even worse. Bad bread, but
with sugar added. When I get my shit together again about eating, and
start being careful with carbs, bad bread will be the first to go.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:04:00 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Feb 25, 5:09*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Which brings up a very good point!

>> > We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
>> > strong bodies?

>> > Whatever!

>> > That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
>> > to kill us off!!!

>> We had that or a store brand white bread. *My mom ate neither and really we
>> weren't allowed to have bread very often. *It was kept in the freezer. *We
>> mainly had it for road trips where we had meatloaf sandwiches.

>I never had Wonder bread when I was a kid. Our parents were *quite
>frugal* and I remember after being out on my own finding out that
>Wonder bread sucked.

In Brooklyn there was a bakery on practically every block... back then
Wonder (packaged bread) cost more than bakery bread... Wonder etal.
used to be packaged in waxed paper with a heat sealed label at each
end, were no plastic bags back then. We always had lots of baked
goods in the house, my father spent 27 years as a Dugans driver, but
we only ate bakery bread.
http://www.dugansbakers.com/page4.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 05:27:09 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 11:27*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >. *My mom used to buy those horrid Brown and Serve ones. *I think she was the only one who
> > really liked them. *

> I hated those too. I didn't really like bread when i was a kid,
> except at restaurants that served crusty bread with lots of butter.

As a kid, I was fine with Brown & Serve rolls. I was okay with those
crescent biscuits in a tube too... but that was what I knew and it was
a step up from Wonder Bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 25, 9:27*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> ---
>
> I can remember seeing paintings and photos of people with bread on their
> table, either on a plate or straight out of the bag. *I asked my dad about
> that and he said most people ate it with their meals. *But he told me the
> reason they did that was because bread was cheap. *He said if they couldn't
> afford to feed the whole family a lot of meat, they would put the bread out
> and hope the family would fill up on that.

Yup, we were 'poor'. Of course I had no idea when I was a child,
that was just the way it was. I'm pretty glad I grew up that way
because I learned the value of things, not being wasteful and no over-
consumption. We had a big garden and grew our own vegetables and
canned a lot, those were the vegetables we ate in the winter. We
had our own chickens and rabbits and usually raised a beef calf, we
got our milk from a neighbor who had jersey cows. We even had a
couple of goats for a while. I am grateful for all the things I
learned. I know how to do things most people have no idea of...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 25, 10:04*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

> Well done. *Use it up, wear it out. *LOL

---------

My Mother used to say that. She was a depression kid and their motto
was "Use it up, wear it out, make it do".

We did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:41:12 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> wrote:

> My dad was a health food freak back before it was trendy... and he did
> the shopping.

Your poor, poor family... having a control freak like that. Ugh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>I_am_Tosk wrote:
>
>> My dad was a health food freak back before it was trendy... and he did
>> the shopping.

>Your poor, poor family... having a control freak like that. Ugh.

What's controling about parents who teach their children
good/respectable values... could use a whole lot more of that control
these days... better than raising children who are opportunistic
pretentious dirtbags that portray themselves precisely the opposite of
how they really live, like you, sf... you phony self rightious dumb
****. It's very obvious that you never cared what garbage you sucked
down your maw, that's why you dare not put a picture of your 1/4 ton
self on the rfc mug shots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:35:11 -0600, Andy wrote:

> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 25, 10:42*am, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Ugh! *A sandwich made of white bread and deep fried potatoes isn't
>>> exactly health healthy food.

>> When we were kids, one of my favorite sandwiches was white bread with
>> lots of mayo and thick slices of cheese and a pile of potato chips.
>> You put the sandwich together and then mashed it down to crush the
>> potato chips so you could get the sandwich in your mouth.
>>
>> I know it sound wierd, but it's actually good. I haven't had one
>> for a very long time. The last time I ate one was because I was
>> telling someone about it and we decided to do one to see if it tasted
>> the way we remembered. It did.
>>
>> We are talking wonder bread kind of white bread and thick sliced mild
>> cheddar.

> Which brings up a very good point!
>
> We grew up on Wonder bread. I forget the motto... 12 ways to build
> strong bodies?
>
> Whatever!
>
> That's what Mom bought. Never did see her actually eat the stuff. Trying
> to kill us off!!!
>
> Andy

too bad she was incompetent.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/02/2011 3:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> I_am_Tosk wrote:
>>
>>> My dad was a health food freak back before it was trendy... and he did
>>> the shopping.

>> Your poor, poor family... having a control freak like that. Ugh.

> What's controling about parents who teach their children
> good/respectable values... could use a whole lot more of that control
> these days... better than raising children who are opportunistic
> pretentious dirtbags that portray themselves precisely the opposite of
> how they really live, like you, sf... you phony self rightious dumb
> ****. It's very obvious that you never cared what garbage you sucked
> down your maw, that's why you dare not put a picture of your 1/4 ton
> self on the rfc mug shots.

It depends on how much of a health food freak he was. I can't say that
my parents were health food freaks, though they did seem to be
nutritionally aware. We were fed balanced meals and there was seldom
junk food in the house. We rarely had prepared foods other than canned
soups or pork and beans. My father always had a vegetable garden
because he valued the taste and goodness of freshly picked fruit and
vegetables.

One of my sisters in law...... health food FREAK. She served nothing
unless she was absolutely certain there was nothing in the food that ws
not absolutely good for you. It might not have been bad if she had been
able to cook, but she boiled her vegetables until they were mush cooked
meat until it was dull grey and flavourless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/26/2011 09:53 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Feb 25, 10:04 pm, projectile vomit chick
> > wrote:
>

>> Well done. Use it up, wear it out. LOL

> ---------
>
> My Mother used to say that. She was a depression kid and their motto
> was "Use it up, wear it out, make it do".

I heard it as "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

(Well, read, not heard:
http://www.momfoodproject.com/2010/1...or-do-without/
)

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 26, 1:03*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> On 02/26/2011 09:53 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > On Feb 25, 10:04 pm, projectile vomit chick
> > > *wrote:

> >> Well done. *Use it up, wear it out. *LOL

> > ---------

> > My Mother used to say that. * She was a depression kid and their motto
> > was "Use it up, wear it out, make it do".

> I heard it as "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."
>
> (Well, read, not heard:http://www.momfoodproject.com/2010/1...s-use-it-up-we...
> )
>
> Serene
>
> --http://www.momfoodproject.com

Now that I think about it......you are correct Serene....she did say
it that way. and trust me we did without a lot of times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Feb 25, 11:27 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>. My mom used to buy those horrid Brown and Serve ones. I think she was the
>only one who
> really liked them.

I hated those too. I didn't really like bread when i was a kid,
except at restaurants that served crusty bread with lots of butter.

> Now she serves King's Hawaiin rolls but only on special
> occasions, like Thanksgiving.

I remember those too. I thought they were even worse. Bad bread, but
with sugar added. When I get my shit together again about eating, and
start being careful with carbs, bad bread will be the first to go.

---
Yeah. It's so smooshy and sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 05:27:09 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 25, 11:27 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> >. My mom used to buy those horrid Brown and Serve ones. I think she was
>> >the only one who
>> > really liked them.

>> I hated those too. I didn't really like bread when i was a kid,
>> except at restaurants that served crusty bread with lots of butter.

> As a kid, I was fine with Brown & Serve rolls. I was okay with those
> crescent biscuits in a tube too... but that was what I knew and it was
> a step up from Wonder Bread.

I always liked the thought of the Crescents, but when it came down to it, I
didn't like them. Neither did I like the canned biscuits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:41:12 -0500, I_am_Tosk
> > wrote:
>
>> My dad was a health food freak back before it was trendy... and he did
>> the shopping.

> Your poor, poor family... having a control freak like that. Ugh.

We had neighbors like that when we lived on Staten Island. Actually I think
it was the mom who was the health food freak. She bought whole wheat
kernels and ground her own to make flour. However she wasn't the one who
did the shopping. Her husband did. And he did all of the shopping at the
Commissary in Brooklyn. I don't know if you've ever shopped at a military
Commissary or not. But for as huge as they are, they really don't have a
good selection on a lot of things.

The poor woman just had to make do with whatever it was he brought home for
her to cook. I would hate that! I went through a period of time where I
was too sick to leave the house. I would send my husband with a list but he
didn't always find what it was that I wanted or he would bring something
else back. So that was kind of bad. I would plan to make something but
then couldn't because one or two needed ingredients were missing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> On 26/02/2011 3:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> Your poor, poor family... having a control freak like that. Ugh.

>> What's controling about parents who teach their children
>> good/respectable values... could use a whole lot more of that control
>> these days... better than raising children who are opportunistic
>> pretentious dirtbags that portray themselves precisely the opposite of
>> how they really live, like you, sf... you phony self rightious dumb
>> ****. It's very obvious that you never cared what garbage you sucked
>> down your maw, that's why you dare not put a picture of your 1/4 ton
>> self on the rfc mug shots.

> It depends on how much of a health food freak he was. I can't say that my
> parents were health food freaks, though they did seem to be nutritionally
> aware. We were fed balanced meals and there was seldom junk food in the
> house. We rarely had prepared foods other than canned soups or pork and
> beans. My father always had a vegetable garden because he valued the
> taste and goodness of freshly picked fruit and vegetables.
>
> One of my sisters in law...... health food FREAK. She served nothing
> unless she was absolutely certain there was nothing in the food that ws
> not absolutely good for you. It might not have been bad if she had been
> able to cook, but she boiled her vegetables until they were mush cooked
> meat until it was dull grey and flavourless.

When my daughter was young, I decided I would feed her nothing that was
unhealthy. Organic foods were a new thing back then. If I found something
organic, of course I would buy it but overall that didn't factor in too
terribly much. I did not want her to have sweets and even limited the
amount of fruit and juice that she consumed.

When I dropped her off at a friend's house for a play date, I would sent her
sugar free juice and an appropriate snack and I also sent along enough for
the other kids as well. I would tell the parent(s) that she could have what
I sent and nothing else. I didn't have to do that at a couple of houses
because those parents fed their kids like I did.

Alas, this backfired against me. The parents who fed their kids junk and
let them drink sugar drinks that they called "juice", but maybe only 10%
juice would sneak her things to eat and drink because they felt sorry for
her.

I began to realize something was wrong when she would come home from play
dates and not be able to eat her dinner. That was just not like her because
she was and still is one of those kids who is always hungry! Luckily she me
by the age of two she was able to say complete sentences and long ones at
that. She would tell me of all the food she had at these other houses.
Sometimes she didn't know the names of the foods but she would describe
them. One house in particular was fond of regular Sprite and any sort of
beverage that came packages in a pouch or box. They always called it juice
and even got into an argument with me when I said it wasn't really juice. I
can't remember specifically what they had at the time but the label clearly
had the ingredients on it.

I wound up having to relax my standards a bit. Yes, I do still try to bring
home plenty of healthy food, but I know I can't keep her from the junk,
especially in school. I was shocked and appalled to see how much junk was
handed out to kids at school! But she knows now if she has a treat, she can
not have another one that day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I_am_Tosk" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> > ****. It's very obvious that you never cared what garbage you sucked

> My dad (note to those with weird readers, it's my dad we are talking
> about here) worked at a Grocery so he was through. We had no sugar,
> salt, or white flour products, and no junk food, ever, we didn't even
> buy it (nope, not even white sugar) for the home. Occasionally we had
> maple syrup, or there might be a bottle of Karo but I didn't know what
> to do with it then anyway.

That is how pretty much I was when my daughter was little. I did use salt
and other seasonings, but no sugar or flour at all. When she got older I
did buy bread, tortillas and pasta for her. But it was often whole wheat or
a mix of grains. They came out with a pasta at about that time that had
some whole wheat in it. It wasn't fully whole wheat. My Italian husband
didn't really like the whole wheat stuff. I did though.

> We always had fresh fruit and veggies, whole grain breads, a lot of
> boiled chicken and rice, and sometimes beef or even more rarely fish but
> that was more budget than any control. And I wouldn't say dad was a
> "health food" nut, just a nut about food that wasn't "unhealthy". And he
> did take me for junk food (Friendlys or similar) every couple weeks,
> fairly regularly too... We just couldn't have it in the house for
> reasons that are not relevant to the thread... Either way though, I
> really didn't know the difference and it was one of the reasons I
> continue to eat pretty good till this day. I will never forget my dad
> rolling me up in a tiny blanket and throwing me on the front seat of the
> pickup like a worm, taking me for a candy bar at 5:30 am before work..
> Yup, in the words of the Prophet Steve Miller, "Life's been good to me
> so far"..

I have pictures of my daughter, still in her jammies, sitting in some donut
shop somewhere. Because I didn't allow such stuff in the house, my husband
used to sneak her out of the house before I was up and feed her these
things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> [...]

> by the age of two she was able to say complete sentences and long ones at
> that. She would tell me of all the food she had at these other houses.
> Sometimes she didn't know the names of the foods but she would describe
> them. One house in particular was fond of regular Sprite and any sort of
> beverage that came packages in a pouch or box. They always called it juice
> and even got into an argument with me when I said it wasn't really juice. I
> can't remember specifically what they had at the time but the label clearly
> had the ingredients on it.
>
> I wound up having to relax my standards a bit. Yes, I do still try to bring
> home plenty of healthy food, but I know I can't keep her from the junk,
> especially in school. I was shocked and appalled to see how much junk was
> handed out to kids at school! But she knows now if she has a treat, she can

My kid begs for good food, her only real issue used to be "energy
drinks" but she quit those last season at my request. Since childhood
she won't drink anything carbonated and now that she is in serious
training, she is getting to be a real pain in the ass to feed..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I_am_Tosk" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> can't remember specifically what they had at the time but the label
>> clearly
>> had the ingredients on it.
>>
>> I wound up having to relax my standards a bit. Yes, I do still try to
>> bring
>> home plenty of healthy food, but I know I can't keep her from the junk,
>> especially in school. I was shocked and appalled to see how much junk
>> was
>> handed out to kids at school! But she knows now if she has a treat, she
>> can
>> not have another one that day.

> My kid begs for good food, her only real issue used to be "energy
> drinks" but she quit those last season at my request. Since childhood
> she won't drink anything carbonated and now that she is in serious
> training, she is getting to be a real pain in the ass to feed..

I allowed my daughter to have only diet sodas. She quite those for a while.
Then she had some when she was sick to her stomach. She has quit caffeine
for the most part. It was causing medical problems. The Dr. said she could
have one serving per day but no more. She does have it once in a while but
not usually. She does drink the sugar free energy drinks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "I_am_Tosk" > wrote in message

> > My kid begs for good food, her only real issue used to be "energy
> > drinks" but she quit those last season at my request.

> I allowed my daughter to have only diet sodas. She quite those for a while.
> Then she had some when she was sick to her stomach. She has quit caffeine
> for the most part. It was causing medical problems. The Dr. said she could
> have one serving per day but no more. She does have it once in a while but
> not usually. She does drink the sugar free energy drinks.

I couldn't figure out what a "sugar free energy drink" was. I figured
"energy" meant "sugar". I was wrong:

http://www.energyfiend.com/2009/09/s...gy-drink-chart

It means it has caffeine in it!

I did a Google and this was the first hit, and the only one I looked at.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered to sf:

> It's very obvious that you never cared what garbage you sucked down your
> maw, that's why you dare not put a picture of your 1/4 ton self on the rfc
> mug shots.

Huh? I've met sf; she isn't fat.

Anyway, hypocrite, how come *you* haven't posted a real picture of yourself
on the RFC mug shots? Afraid that someone might track you down and beat the
shit out of you? (It would be a lengthy enterprise; you're completely FULL
of shit.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tosk wrote:

> Yup, in the words of the Prophet Steve Miller, "Life's been good to me so
> far"..

You mean Joe Walsh, don't you?

Bob (some call me the Pompatus of Love)

Subliminal Messages - Stay Away From Obesity With These Handy Suggestions balinbase Recipes 0 18-11-2011 07:33 AM
Subliminal advertising, music, and wine DaleW Wine 8 13-01-2009 07:10 PM
A Short Break Damsel General Cooking 0 04-07-2005 03:20 AM
Taking a Break Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 68 02-05-2005 05:44 AM