Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using a Induction hot plate as a slow cooker

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:16:15 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>"The traditional Okinawan diet as described above was widely practiced
>on the islands until about the 1960s. Since then, dietary practices
>have been shifting towards Western and Japanese patterns, with fat
>intake rising from about 6% to 27% of total caloric intake and the
>sweet potato being supplanted with rice and bread.[9] This shifting
>trend has also coincided with a decrease in longevity, where Okinawans
>now have a lower life expectancy than the Japanese average."
>(Wiki)

There are too many variables to blame it on fat. Blaming health problems on
fat has been politically correct for some 50 years, but it is all a fraud.
The biggest food fraud in history. This is best documented in Nina
Teicholz's "The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a
Healthy Diet." It should be required reading for all foodies.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1451624433

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:06:59 -0500, Don Wiss >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 07:14:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>Too many people think fat is fat. There's huge health differences
>>between types of fats.

>Yea, I want fat from grass-fed animals only. More Omega-3s and less
>Omega-6s than grain-fed animals. Of course, even better is the fat from
>wild fish.

What about fat of animals slaughtered during a full moon?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:30:31 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:26:30 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 12:43:01 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> Long lives among indigenous people can many times be attributed to the extreme physicality required of
>>> those traditional lifestyles.
>>>
>>> N.

>>Those old timers were mostly farmers and laborers. They had a hard life. Life is easier for the Okinawans these days. OTOH, the easy life tends to lead to shorter lifespans. This seems like a mighty fine trade to me, mighty fine.

>There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
>Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
>off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
>potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:36:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:30:31 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:26:30 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>>wrote:

>>>Those old timers were mostly farmers and laborers. They had a hard life. Life is easier for the Okinawans these days. OTOH, the easy life tends to lead to shorter lifespans. This seems like a mighty fine trade to me, mighty fine.

>>There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
>>Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
>>off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
>>potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

>Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.

The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
long?) Maybe it's not so much the sweet potato that helped the
Okinokonaki as the fact that the sweet potato replaced a lot of grains
such as rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" wrote:

> Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.

LOL! ;-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 5:39 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:36:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:30:31 +1100, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>>> There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
>>> Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
>>> off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
>>> potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

>> Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.

> The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
> long?) Maybe it's not so much the sweet potato that helped the
> Okinokonaki as the fact that the sweet potato replaced a lot of grains
> such as rice.

The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:34:02 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-11 5:39 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:36:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.

>> The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
>> long?) Maybe it's not so much the sweet potato that helped the
>> Okinokonaki as the fact that the sweet potato replaced a lot of grains
>> such as rice.
>>

>The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

So seal blubber isn't a superfood.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 10:25 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:34:02 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
>>> long?) Maybe it's not so much the sweet potato that helped the
>>> Okinokonaki as the fact that the sweet potato replaced a lot of grains
>>> such as rice.
>>>

>> The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>> is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>> improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

> So seal blubber isn't a superfood.

I can't say that it ever appealed to me. I guess we can follow
Lucretia's advice for pork belly and cook it to render out *all* the fat.

Fat was always an important part of the diet of the native people of the
north. A few years ago I read a book that was the translated memoirs of
an Innu hunter, and was sort of grossed out by his telling of taking a
can of bear fat and eating it straight. Apparently their bodies have
adapted to a diet that it high in fat and low in carbohydrates. There
are some special challenges to natives because the switch to high carb
and high salt and sugar and alcohol has led to high rates of type II
diabetes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:49:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-11 10:25 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>>> is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>>> improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

>> So seal blubber isn't a superfood.
>>

>I can't say that it ever appealed to me. I guess we can follow
>Lucretia's advice for pork belly and cook it to render out *all* the fat.
>
>Fat was always an important part of the diet of the native people of the
>north. A few years ago I read a book that was the translated memoirs of
>an Innu hunter, and was sort of grossed out by his telling of taking a
>can of bear fat and eating it straight. Apparently their bodies have
>adapted to a diet that it high in fat and low in carbohydrates. There
>are some special challenges to natives because the switch to high carb
>and high salt and sugar and alcohol has led to high rates of type II
>diabetes.

But they're not getting very old on their fat diets either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 10:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:49:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-01-11 10:25 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:34:02 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> So seal blubber isn't a superfood.
>>>

>> I can't say that it ever appealed to me. I guess we can follow
>> Lucretia's advice for pork belly and cook it to render out *all* the fat.
>>
>> Fat was always an important part of the diet of the native people of the
>> north. A few years ago I read a book that was the translated memoirs of
>> an Innu hunter, and was sort of grossed out by his telling of taking a
>> can of bear fat and eating it straight. Apparently their bodies have
>> adapted to a diet that it high in fat and low in carbohydrates. There
>> are some special challenges to natives because the switch to high carb
>> and high salt and sugar and alcohol has led to high rates of type II
>> diabetes.

> But they're not getting very old on their fat diets either.

It is curious but despite the conversion to a more European diet high in
carbs and becoming prone to diseases related to it, they are living
almost three times as long as they did 80 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:04:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-11 10:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:49:51 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't say that it ever appealed to me. I guess we can follow
>>> Lucretia's advice for pork belly and cook it to render out *all* the fat.
>>>
>>> Fat was always an important part of the diet of the native people of the
>>> north. A few years ago I read a book that was the translated memoirs of
>>> an Innu hunter, and was sort of grossed out by his telling of taking a
>>> can of bear fat and eating it straight. Apparently their bodies have
>>> adapted to a diet that it high in fat and low in carbohydrates. There
>>> are some special challenges to natives because the switch to high carb
>>> and high salt and sugar and alcohol has led to high rates of type II
>>> diabetes.

>> But they're not getting very old on their fat diets either.
>>

>It is curious but despite the conversion to a more European diet high in
>carbs and becoming prone to diseases related to it, they are living
>almost three times as long as they did 80 years ago.

Maybe they have better access to healthcare. Or maybe there are less
polar bears these days. Or maybe clogged arteries kill faster than
diabetes. It's hard to say what's causing what.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:49:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-11 10:25 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>>> is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>>> improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

>> So seal blubber isn't a superfood.
>>

>I can't say that it ever appealed to me. I guess we can follow
>Lucretia's advice for pork belly and cook it to render out *all* the fat.

Take Gary's advice, go stake out a handicapped spot, or a fast food
parking lot.

>Fat was always an important part of the diet of the native people of the
>north. A few years ago I read a book that was the translated memoirs of
>an Innu hunter, and was sort of grossed out by his telling of taking a
>can of bear fat and eating it straight. Apparently their bodies have
>adapted to a diet that it high in fat and low in carbohydrates. There
>are some special challenges to natives because the switch to high carb
>and high salt and sugar and alcohol has led to high rates of type II
>diabetes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:30:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:26:30 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 12:43:01 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Long lives among indigenous people can many times be attributed to the extreme physicality required of
> >> those traditional lifestyles.
> >>
> >> N.

> >Those old timers were mostly farmers and laborers. They had a hard life. Life is easier for the Okinawans these days. OTOH, the easy life tends to lead to shorter lifespans. This seems like a mighty fine trade to me, mighty fine.

> There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
> Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
> off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
> potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

I won't speculate as to how/why they live so long because it's a complex question and chances are that I'd be wrong anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:58:47 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:40:31 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:30:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
> >> Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
> >> off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
> >> potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

> >Those guy were eating pig meat for quite a while. After all, they were a country of pig farmers. After the war, they had a shortage of pigs. People in Hawaii raised money to buy some pigs for the Okinawans. Once that news got around, people all over the world started sending pigs to Okinawa. It's a rather interesting story.

> We used to stop there en route to or from Tokyo to Hong Kong. When
> the Korean war was going strong and US fighters were on the ground we
> were supposed to close the blinds and not see anything. Lol, just a
> challenge to see as much as possible. While the 'plane refuelled we
> went in a black out bus to a canteen, more chance to get a good look
> around.

That's interesting. I'd sure like to see one of those iconic F-86 fighters in real life. The F-86 and MiG 15 were quite beautiful aircraft.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2017 1:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> We used to stop there en route to or from Tokyo to Hong Kong. When
>> the Korean war was going strong and US fighters were on the ground we
>> were supposed to close the blinds and not see anything. Lol, just a
>> challenge to see as much as possible. While the 'plane refuelled we
>> went in a black out bus to a canteen, more chance to get a good look
>> around.

> That's interesting. I'd sure like to see one of those iconic F-86 fighters in real life. The F-86 and MiG 15 were quite beautiful aircraft.

Can you get to Hickam Field? They are supposed to have one on display.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Sabre_aircraft

I got to see one in flight many years ago. It is one of my favorite
airplanes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:39:59 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:36:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:30:31 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
>>>Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
>>>off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
>>>potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

>>Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.

>The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
>long?)

Well, they were known for low levels of diabetes, heart disease and
cancer. Their diet was mostly high in protein and fats and low in
fruits and vegetables. Good fats, as opposed to bad fats, I should
add.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 07:14:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>Too many people think fat is fat. There's huge health differences
>>between types of fats.

>Yea, I want fat from grass-fed animals only. More Omega-3s and less
>Omega-6s than grain-fed animals. Of course, even better is the fat from
>wild fish.

True.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:30:05 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:06:59 -0500, Don Wiss >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 07:14:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>>Too many people think fat is fat. There's huge health differences
>>>between types of fats.

>>Yea, I want fat from grass-fed animals only. More Omega-3s and less
>>Omega-6s than grain-fed animals. Of course, even better is the fat from
>>wild fish.

>What about fat of animals slaughtered during a full moon?

Why not educate yourself on the subject instead of resorting to
sarcasm if you don't understand? Fats are not all the same, learn some
basics about nutrition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:25:31 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:34:02 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
>>> long?) Maybe it's not so much the sweet potato that helped the
>>> Okinokonaki as the fact that the sweet potato replaced a lot of grains
>>> such as rice.
>>>

>>The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>>is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>>improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

>So seal blubber isn't a superfood.

Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
traditional diet in the 20th century.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 2:37 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:25:31 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:34:02 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>>> is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>>> improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

>> So seal blubber isn't a superfood.

> Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
> seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
> traditional diet in the 20th century.

For the first half of the 20th century they were still sticking to their
traditional diet. There wasn't much choice. You have to realize how
remote they were. Most of northern Canada was pretty much inaccessibly
until after WWII and the development of bush planes. There are still no
roads to most places and many of them rely on winter roads, which aren't
roads at all, just cleared ice across frozen lakes and rivers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 9:04:48 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/11/2017 1:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> >> We used to stop there en route to or from Tokyo to Hong Kong. When
> >> the Korean war was going strong and US fighters were on the ground we
> >> were supposed to close the blinds and not see anything. Lol, just a
> >> challenge to see as much as possible. While the 'plane refuelled we
> >> went in a black out bus to a canteen, more chance to get a good look
> >> around.

> > That's interesting. I'd sure like to see one of those iconic F-86 fighters in real life. The F-86 and MiG 15 were quite beautiful aircraft.
> >

> Can you get to Hickam Field? They are supposed to have one on display.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Sabre_aircraft
>
> I got to see one in flight many years ago. It is one of my favorite
> airplanes.

We used to go there with my in-laws. Those old retired military guys would hang around the base even when they were in the US.

I don't recall if I saw a F-86 at Hickam. Will be on the lookout for that one. I was checking out Google Maps and spotted what looks to be a U-2 on base. That's interesting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:31:43 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:30:05 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:06:59 -0500, Don Wiss >
>>wrote:

>>>Yea, I want fat from grass-fed animals only. More Omega-3s and less
>>>Omega-6s than grain-fed animals. Of course, even better is the fat from
>>>wild fish.

>>What about fat of animals slaughtered during a full moon?

>Why not educate yourself on the subject instead of resorting to
>sarcasm if you don't understand? Fats are not all the same, learn some
>basics about nutrition.

A lot of this is kook territory and I don't eat mammals anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:37:36 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:25:31 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:34:02 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>The Inuit do not live longer than the rest of us. Their life expectancy
>>>is about 10 years shorter than the average Canadian and that is a big
>>>improvement because back in the 1940s it was 29 years.

>>So seal blubber isn't a superfood.

>Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
>seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
>traditional diet in the 20th century.

Dave says that when they did eat their traditional stuff, they died
even younger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:29:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:39:59 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:36:45 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Yes. The Inuit are well known for scoffing down tons of sweet potato.

>>The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
>>long?)

>Well, they were known for low levels of diabetes, heart disease and
>cancer. Their diet was mostly high in protein and fats and low in
>fruits and vegetables. Good fats, as opposed to bad fats, I should
>add.

So you think they had a low life expectancy because of the prevalence
of polar bear death?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:19:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:30:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:26:30 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Those old timers were mostly farmers and laborers. They had a hard life. Life is easier for the Okinawans these days. OTOH, the easy life tends to lead to shorter lifespans. This seems like a mighty fine trade to me, mighty fine.

>> There you go. You say they lived long because they had hard lives.
>> Lucretia thinks it's because of the fat (that they actually ate little
>> off in those days). I'm guessing it's because of low fat and sweet
>> potato. We can all have our own party thanks to these people.

>I won't speculate as to how/why they live so long because it's a complex question and chances are that I'd be wrong anyway.

Yes, it's tempting to simplify these matters and say "It's the sweet
potato!", but a hundred other factors are also different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:37:01 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:58:47 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:40:31 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Those guy were eating pig meat for quite a while. After all, they were a country of pig farmers. After the war, they had a shortage of pigs. People in Hawaii raised money to buy some pigs for the Okinawans. Once that news got around, people all over the world started sending pigs to Okinawa. It's a rather interesting story.

>> We used to stop there en route to or from Tokyo to Hong Kong. When
>> the Korean war was going strong and US fighters were on the ground we
>> were supposed to close the blinds and not see anything. Lol, just a
>> challenge to see as much as possible. While the 'plane refuelled we
>> went in a black out bus to a canteen, more chance to get a good look
>> around.

>That's interesting. I'd sure like to see one of those iconic F-86 fighters in real life. The F-86 and MiG 15 were quite beautiful aircraft.

As I recall the ones on the strip were known as 'sabre jets' - whether
that's one of those, I'm not sure. Was only interesting in looking
because we were not supposed to do so lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 08:03:08 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:31:43 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:30:05 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>What about fat of animals slaughtered during a full moon?

>>Why not educate yourself on the subject instead of resorting to
>>sarcasm if you don't understand? Fats are not all the same, learn some
>>basics about nutrition.

>A lot of this is kook territory and I don't eat mammals anyway.

That's like saying all vegetarians are kooks, or those who use
alternative energy sources are kooks. You really are narrow-minded in
some ways. There's nothing wrong with learning facts that might not
sit well with your beliefs (which in this case are misguided, all you
see is the word 'fats' and this is about much more than just that).
You NEED omega 3/6 in your diet, it's been scientifically proven that
they need to be in the right balance. Apparently you also believe an
animal's diet makes no difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 08:05:02 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:29:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:39:59 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>The Inuit may do other things that make them live long (do they live
>>>long?)

>>Well, they were known for low levels of diabetes, heart disease and
>>cancer. Their diet was mostly high in protein and fats and low in
>>fruits and vegetables. Good fats, as opposed to bad fats, I should
>>add.

>So you think they had a low life expectancy because of the prevalence
>of polar bear death?

Yes. That and space aliens. Where did I mention polar bears?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 08:03:49 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:37:36 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:25:31 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>So seal blubber isn't a superfood.

>>Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
>>seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
>>traditional diet in the 20th century.

>Dave says that when they did eat their traditional stuff, they died
>even younger.

So you think it's gospel if Dave said it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:47:06 -0400, wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 08:03:49 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:37:36 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
>>>seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
>>>traditional diet in the 20th century.

>>Dave says that when they did eat their traditional stuff, they died
>>even younger.

>So you think it's gospel if Dave said it?

Is it not true? It sounds very plausible to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 08:42:48 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 08:05:02 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:29:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Well, they were known for low levels of diabetes, heart disease and
>>>cancer. Their diet was mostly high in protein and fats and low in
>>>fruits and vegetables. Good fats, as opposed to bad fats, I should
>>>add.

>>So you think they had a low life expectancy because of the prevalence
>>of polar bear death?

>Yes. That and space aliens. Where did I mention polar bears?

It was a question You suggest a link between their high good fat
diet and their good health, yet they died young. Why was that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 2:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Can you get to Hickam Field? They are supposed to have one on display.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Sabre_aircraft
>
> I got to see one in flight many years ago. It is one of my favorite
> airplanes.

I got to sit in one when I was a kid. My father worked on the Arrow
program and Orenda Engines was part of it. For a while he was working at
a facility that was at Malton airport (now Pearson International) and
once in a while we would go with my mother to pick him up. The security
guard would take me and my brothers around to see the planes on the
apron and let us get in them.

They were actually Canadian Sabres, a variant of the American model.
They were certainly an innovative aircraft, but they were soon obsolete.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
>> seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
>> traditional diet in the 20th century.

> Dave says that when they did eat their traditional stuff, they died
> even younger.

I pointed out that in the first half of the 20th century the live on the
traditional diet because they were very remote and there was no other
option, and that their life expectancy int he 1940w was 29 years. I
don't know if it was the diet, disease or starvation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:37:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-11 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> Because they are mostly eating all the wrong things in a western diet,
>>> seal blubber has nothing to do with it. Very few have eaten a truly
>>> traditional diet in the 20th century.

>> Dave says that when they did eat their traditional stuff, they died
>> even younger.
>>

>I pointed out that in the first half of the 20th century the live on the
>traditional diet because they were very remote and there was no other
>option, and that their life expectancy int he 1940w was 29 years. I
>don't know if it was the diet, disease or starvation.

But that means there is no reason to think their diet made them live
longer. It also doesn't mean their diet made them live shorter. So
many other factors are at play, that you can't really say anything
about the effect of their diet on their life expectancy. So why do
people keep bringing them up to prove that their high "good fat" diet
is healthy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 4:54 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Dave says that when they did eat their traditional stuff, they died
>>> even younger.

>> So you think it's gospel if Dave said it?

> Is it not true? It sounds very plausible to me.

Lucretia doesn't have much faith in facts. She prefers to shovel the
factoids and the rebut with ad hominems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:41:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> So you think it's gospel if Dave said it?

>> Is it not true? It sounds very plausible to me.

>Lucretia doesn't have much faith in facts. She prefers to shovel the
>factoids and the rebut with ad hominems.

Here's a bit of fact, source included:

Life expectancy of Canadian Inuit in 1991: 68 years
Life expectancy of Canadians as a whole in 1991: 78 years

Life expectancy of Canadian Inuit in 2001: 68 years
Life expectancy of Canadians as a whole in 2001: 80 years
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18457208

This seems to indicate that the Gospel of Dave is correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:41:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> So you think it's gospel if Dave said it?

>> Is it not true? It sounds very plausible to me.

>Lucretia doesn't have much faith in facts. She prefers to shovel the
>factoids and the rebut with ad hominems.

OMG he used two difficult words - just think, he was wasted policing
handicapped parking!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-11 6:38 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:37:28 -0500, Dave Smith

>> I pointed out that in the first half of the 20th century the live on the
>> traditional diet because they were very remote and there was no other
>> option, and that their life expectancy int he 1940w was 29 years. I
>> don't know if it was the diet, disease or starvation.

> But that means there is no reason to think their diet made them live
> longer. It also doesn't mean their diet made them live shorter.

Perhaps that was why I said I didn't know if it was their diet, disease
or starvation.

> many other factors are at play, that you can't really say anything
> about the effect of their diet on their life expectancy. So why do
> people keep bringing them up to prove that their high "good fat" diet
> is healthy?

Ask the people who you think keep bringing them up to prove that their
high "good fat" diet is healthy. Their people lived in a cold climate
long enough for them to develop a high fat diet that sustained them all
that time. They think it is important for them to have a lot of fat in
their diet to help them cope with the cold. FWIW, while I was
researching about their longevity and diet I came across an article that
had a photo of a bunch of native kids in the north playing hockey. There
is snow on the ground and none of the kids are wearing bulky jackets.
One is in a long sleeved shirt and another is just in a T shirt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:49:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-11 6:38 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> But that means there is no reason to think their diet made them live
>> longer. It also doesn't mean their diet made them live shorter.

>Perhaps that was why I said I didn't know if it was their diet, disease
>or starvation.

Yes.

>> many other factors are at play, that you can't really say anything
>> about the effect of their diet on their life expectancy. So why do
>> people keep bringing them up to prove that their high "good fat" diet
>> is healthy?

>Ask the people who you think keep bringing them up to prove that their
>high "good fat" diet is healthy. Their people lived in a cold climate
>long enough for them to develop a high fat diet that sustained them all
>that time. They think it is important for them to have a lot of fat in
>their diet to help them cope with the cold. FWIW, while I was
>researching about their longevity and diet I came across an article that
>had a photo of a bunch of native kids in the north playing hockey. There
>is snow on the ground and none of the kids are wearing bulky jackets.
>One is in a long sleeved shirt and another is just in a T shirt.

Yes, they may need the high fat diet because of the cold, even though
that diet _may_, at the same time, only allow them to live 10 years
shorter than the average Canadian.