Old 16-02-2011, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using a Induction hot plate as a slow cooker

I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Old 16-02-2011, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Why not just get a West Bend oblong slow cooker?
Old 16-02-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

You probably could, but your electric bill would suffer. You need to
check on the difference between using a crockpot and an induction
cooker. Big difference in electric usage.
Old 16-02-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), horusprim
wrote:

I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I do this all the time, for chili and other items, with the very same
Burton hob and either a 7-qt. Le Creuset or a 6-qt. Calphalon
non-stick pot. Works fine.

-- Larry
Old 16-02-2011, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
cookers for way less than the indudction top and it will cost you way
less to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...sr=1-1-catcorr

Old 16-02-2011, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:37:53 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
wrote:

You probably could, but your electric bill would suffer. You need to
check on the difference between using a crockpot and an induction
cooker. Big difference in electric usage.

Yes -- in favor of the induction hob. Induction is extremely
efficient. Much more so than an antique heating element and a ceramic
vessel.

-- Larry
Old 17-02-2011, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:46:44 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking,
ImStillMags wrote,
On Feb 16, 1:27*pm, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I checked and you can get one of these fancy schmancy programable
cookers for way less than the indudction top

But the induction hob will do a lot more; it's 1800 Watts! I want
one, and I already have the slow cooker. Nobody is buying it *just*
for that!

and it will cost you way less to use.

How did you check that part?

Old 17-02-2011, 11:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:10:53 -0800, David Harmon
wrote:

[...]

Physics class?g Once you have them both [because you *will* own
them both] you can prove the theory with one of these;
P3 Kill-a-watt meter.

It's a handy $20 gadget to have around anyway.

Jim
Old 18-02-2011, 07:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

I do this all the time, for chili and other items, with the very same
Burton hob and either a 7-qt. Le Creuset or a 6-qt. Calphalon
non-stick pot. Works fine.

-- Larry

Thanks for your review.

Can you comment on the temperature settings? Can you set it to cook at
a specific temperature; like a regular, electric hot plate?

Old 05-12-2015, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 8:24:55 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

This one is aluminum, so it wouldn't work on induction, but it's little
and kinda cute.

http://www.target.com/p/imusa-alumin...l/-/A-10827938

https://www.facebook.com/PetrieMuseu...53715638470406

--Bryan
Old 05-12-2015, 03:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

LOL There's our oxymoron for the week. ;-D
Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

(
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

Do you know that you can actually buy a NUWAVE Pressure Cooker that works on an Induction hot plate? The Pressure Cooker does slow cooking, faster.

My Fagor pressure cooker works on my induction hob.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-5, horusprim wrote:
I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...dp/B000MVN1M6/

That one is awfully expensive! This one for much less has higher ratings:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045QEPYM

I have this one. It is wonderful. I have a slow cooker, so I have not tried
using it as one. The bottom temperature is 140F. What is a slow cooker?

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).