Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default A Buffet idea

On 2/15/2011 8:54 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> Yes, I am a sucker for buffets/cafeteria style places. I grew up in
> the South where they were legion and were actually very good.
>
> On Monday, I was making my way back to Pismo Beach, and stopped for
> lunch in Barstow, CA. Yes, I know Barstow is not known for fine
> dining, or even decent places to eat. However, I was starving, since
> I had missed my breakfast stop.
>
> I started casing out what might be decent, when I spotted a newish
> restaurant/buffet in a mostly deserted mall. It was called Our Town
> Buffet, and I thought it might be worth a look.
>
> The door to the place was a tiny bit ratty looking, but I pushed it
> open anyway, and went in. There was a hostess, who turned out to be
> the hostess, and the only waiter/waitress. A few buffet tables were
> there,..and a room full of tables, of which most were empty. The
> hostess explained it was an all you can eat place, with dessert and
> drinks included in the price..which was decent.
>
> I decided to chance it.

(lotta snips)

> Oh, and I was thinking (since I love appetizers myself) an appetizer
> station!!
>
> So, you guys wanna play along on my theoretical exercise?

This exercise sounds fascinating. The big hurdles most likely are
'timing' and 'quantities' (or the other way around!) for the various
selections of foods, cooked & uncooked. What's the largest population
of diners expected, and when is the 'prime time' for dining? Seems
'timing' is critical for good quality food, but if the diners aren't
there to eat when the dishes are 'just right', what then? Not to
mention the opposite scenario -- too many diners and not enough food?
What happens to the surplus food after it's been out for so long? Dang,
certainly not something easy and definitely a venture gamble :/

Sky, who wonders if this is a bit like 'construction management' ?

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default !!

On 2/15/2011 10:11 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:06:33 -0600, >
> wrote:
>

>> This exercise sounds fascinating. The big hurdles most likely are
>> 'timing' and 'quantities' (or the other way around!) for the various
>> selections of foods, cooked& uncooked. What's the largest population
>> of diners expected, and when is the 'prime time' for dining? Seems
>> 'timing' is critical for good quality food, but if the diners aren't
>> there to eat when the dishes are 'just right', what then? Not to
>> mention the opposite scenario -- too many diners and not enough food?
>> What happens to the surplus food after it's been out for so long? Dang,
>> certainly not something easy and definitely a venture gamble :/
>>
>> Sky, who wonders if this is a bit like 'construction management' ?

> Sky, I am not looking at practical stuff, LOL. As I said, this is
> only a hypothetical thing...just an exercise in what one could do to
> improve a homegrown buffet operation. Yes, I realize, that if I were
> really doing something like this, I would have to consider all that...
> But, I am not... I am just thinking of what could make such an
> operation into a destination spot?
>
> Christine

Copy Paula Deen (cough-cough, cluck-cluck)??? Ok, I'm ducking now!

Perhaps something akin to Fudruckers? Keep the concept to a few good
products and styles of food that can do well with a 'line' and on a
demand-basis ?? Heck, I dunno ;>> Perhaps an 'all breakfast' sort of
place with different sorts of 'fresh' islands? Or maybe something
similar to IHOP but a bit different? Or maybe a 'burger line' concept
where the burgers -- variable combinations of meats & non-meats (beef,
pork, turkey, chicken, tofu & veggie substitutes) are freshly ground,
combined, and cooked to order & style?f

Sky, who still hasn't won that lottery yet! <VBG>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 10:21*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 2/15/2011 10:11 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:06:33 -0600, >
> > wrote:

> >> This exercise sounds fascinating. *The big hurdles most likely are
> >> 'timing' and 'quantities' (or the other way around!) for the various
> >> selections of foods, cooked& *uncooked. *What's the largest population
> >> of diners expected, and when is the 'prime time' for dining? *Seems
> >> 'timing' is critical for good quality food, but if the diners aren't
> >> there to eat when the dishes are 'just right', what then? *Not to
> >> mention the opposite scenario -- too many diners and not enough food?
> >> What happens to the surplus food after it's been out for so long? *Dang,
> >> certainly not something easy and definitely a venture gamble :/

> >> Sky, who wonders if this is a bit like 'construction management' ?

> > Sky, I am not looking at practical stuff, LOL. *As I said, this is
> > only a hypothetical thing...just an exercise in what one could do to
> > improve a homegrown buffet operation. * Yes, I realize, that if I were
> > really doing something like this, I would have to consider all that...
> > But, I am not... I am just thinking of what could make such an
> > operation into a destination spot? *

> > Christine

> Copy Paula Deen (cough-cough, cluck-cluck)??? Ok, I'm ducking now!
>
> Perhaps something akin to Fudruckers? *Keep the concept to a few good
> products and styles of food that can do well with a 'line' and on a
> demand-basis ?? *Heck, I dunno ;>> *Perhaps an 'all breakfast' sort of
> place with different sorts of 'fresh' islands? *Or maybe something
> similar to IHOP but a bit different? *Or maybe a 'burger line' concept
> where the burgers -- variable combinations of meats & non-meats (beef,
> pork, turkey, chicken, tofu & veggie substitutes) are freshly ground,
> combined, and cooked to order & style?f

Strange to mention Fuddruckers (fairly high quality) and IHOP (very
low quality) as suggestions.

Corn meal breaded and fried tilapia and several good salsas would be
musts.

> Sky, who still hasn't won that lottery yet! <VBG>

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 2:17*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Feb 15, 10:21*pm, Sky > wrote:
>

> > On 2/15/2011 10:11 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:

> > > Sky, I am not looking at practical stuff, LOL. *As I said, this is
> > > only a hypothetical thing...just an exercise in what one could do to
> > > improve a homegrown buffet operation. * Yes, I realize, that if I were
> > > really doing something like this, I would have to consider all that....
> > > But, I am not... I am just thinking of what could make such an
> > > operation into a destination spot? *

> > > Christine

> > Copy Paula Deen (cough-cough, cluck-cluck)??? Ok, I'm ducking now!

> > Perhaps something akin to Fudruckers? *Keep the concept to a few good
> > products and styles of food that can do well with a 'line' and on a
> > demand-basis ?? *Heck, I dunno ;>> *Perhaps an 'all breakfast' sort of
> > place with different sorts of 'fresh' islands? *Or maybe something
> > similar to IHOP but a bit different? *Or maybe a 'burger line' concept
> > where the burgers -- variable combinations of meats & non-meats (beef,
> > pork, turkey, chicken, tofu & veggie substitutes) are freshly ground,
> > combined, and cooked to order & style?f

> Strange to mention Fuddruckers (fairly high quality) and IHOP (very
> low quality) as suggestions.

LOL Fuddruckers is ****ing disgusting. Microwaved lunchmeat on a bun,
yeah good eats there.

> Corn meal breaded and fried tilapia and several good salsas would be
> musts.

Once again with the tilapia toilet fish. Yer pretty low rent, *Bryan*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fudruckers (was !!)

On Feb 17, 9:25*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *projectile vomit chick > wrote:
>
> > LOL Fuddruckers is ****ing disgusting. *Microwaved lunchmeat on a bun,
> > yeah good eats there.

> Have you ever been to one?
> The ones in Austin are excellent.
>
> Fresh grilled fresh ground beef on a toasted bun, and a condiment bar
> where you can pile on all the fresh ingredients you want. *I load up on
> leaf lettuce, tomato and pickles.
>
> Very good and very fresh!
>
> They don't even offer lunchmeat sandwiches or if the do, I don't pay
> attention. *I go there for the BEEF!

Of course she's never been there. She blows out her ass just like she
blows out her stinking maw.
> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan