Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Buffet idea

In news:rec.food.cooking, Christine Dabney > posted
on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:54:51 -0800 the following:

> I had an idea for fresh hot breads... Say big fluffy, yeasty rolls.
> Maybe spoonbread. Or good cornbread. Maybe popovers, if I were to
> get an established clientele, since they are not good after a bit.
> They need to be hot and fresh. Oh, and homemade biscuits...different
> kinds... Say regular ones some days...maybe sweet potato biscuits
> some days, depending on what else is on the menu.

Seems like it would take a huge amount of planning and coordination to get
all those different foods prepared on time for the daily opening. What I
don't like about buffets is vegetables that are either overcooked, or left
in the steam tray so long that it simply hot-rots, like string beans. I
like string beans that are brightly colored and hot, yet still crispy.
String beans cannot sit around very long before they turn into that dead
green color and become limp. If I had a buffet, since it doesn't take
very long to steam or saut+AOk- whole string beans, and since I want all the
green vegetables to be bright and appealing, I'd want to have enough
people around to keep a watch on all the food and not put so much out that
it sits there and becomes inedible. I think it would be nice to have a
very long buffet line and a kitchen of equal width so there are only a few
steps between the cooking area and the serving trays. That means the
cooks can always have an eye on the food instead of having to run out to
the dining room and check everything.

And use herbs and spices. I once got some steamed or boiled red potatoes
at a Ryan's Steakhouse. They were so bland and nasty. They tasted like
they hadn't even been salted just a little bit, and there were no herbs
like dill weed on them. Yeah, I know I have salt on the table, but I
think it's okay to put a little salt in foods just to have some of the
salt flavor cooked in where you taste it all through the food, not just on
the surface. Some people who don't eat salt at home think of a trip to a
restaurant as a treat where they can just eat what they like without
worrying about the salt.

> Desserts. I can think of tons. A really good poundcake, with maybe a
> berry compote, or a dried fruit compote served alongside.

I even love poundcake plain.

> All this would depend on how much of clientele there was. I would
> think starting small would be smart..with maybe only a very few
> selections. Then, as the customer base grew, start adding more, and
> more things that need to be eaten soon.
>
> Oh, and I was thinking (since I love appetizers myself) an appetizer
> station!!

In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. I love being able to
get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of stuffings
so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. I can make a meal out of
one big potato.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:07*am, Damaeus > wrote:

*snip buffet wet dreams

> In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. *I love being able to
> get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of stuffings
> so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. *I can make a meal out of
> one big potato.

Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

Wow, you people really have your *pie in the sky*, don't ya. Next
you'll all start jizzing about Chinese food. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
On Feb 16, 1:07 am, Damaeus > wrote:

*snip buffet wet dreams

> In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. I love being able to
> get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of stuffings
> so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. I can make a meal out of
> one big potato.

Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

Wow, you people really have your *pie in the sky*, don't ya. Next
you'll all start jizzing about Chinese food. LOL

There is a chain that does a potato bar. We used to eat at them in CA. Had
the name "Fresh" in the name of the restaurant. They mainly had salads and
tons of those. Then the potato bar and I think some tiny slices of pizza.
They may have had some soup as well. I don't remember. I rarely get soup
at places like that because it usually isn't made from scratch.

Daughter loved that place because she was a toddler at the time and into
finger foods. They had lots of fruit and vegetables she liked to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,
> projectile vomit chick > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 16, 1:07 am, Damaeus > wrote:
>>
>> *snip buffet wet dreams
>>
>> > In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. I love being able to
>> > get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of
>> > stuffings
>> > so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. I can make a meal out
>> > of
>> > one big potato.

>> Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!
>>
>> Wow, you people really have your *pie in the sky*, don't ya. Next
>> you'll all start jizzing about Chinese food. LOL

> It's not about the potatoes dear, It's about the potato stuffings. ;-)
> Personally, I tend to fill up on the meat and leafy greens... ;-d
> He can have my share of the spuds!

Those Chinese/Asian buffets are the worst in my book. At least the ones I
have seen. So much of that stuff just does not keep on the steam table.
And it's carb city!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
(PST) the following:

> On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus > wrote:
>
> *snip buffet wet dreams
>
> > In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. +AKA-I love being able to
> > get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of stuffings
> > so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. +AKA-I can make a meal out of
> > one big potato.

> Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 2:13*am, Damaeus > wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> (PST) the following:
>
> > On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus > wrote:

> > *snip buffet wet dreams

> > > In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. +AKA-I love being able to
> > > get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of stuffings
> > > so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. +AKA-I can make a meal out of
> > > one big potato.

> > Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> I like potatoes. *I don't think that makes me an idiot.

I think she's pointing out that potatoes are a very low food cost
item, and questioning the wisdom of one who pays buffet prices for
something one could make much, much more cheaply at home.

> Damaeus

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > In article

>> > It's not about the potatoes dear, It's about the potato stuffings. ;-)
>> > Personally, I tend to fill up on the meat and leafy greens... ;-d
>> > He can have my share of the spuds!

>> Those Chinese/Asian buffets are the worst in my book. At least the ones
>> have seen. So much of that stuff just does not keep on the steam table.
>> And it's carb city!

> Not the ones I go to... ;-d

Well I have only been to three. One had a lot of rice loaded sushi. The
dishes on the steam table were mainly rice and noodle things. There was
some kind of seafood...crab or lobster. I can't remember which. But I
don't eat that.

The other two had the standard rice and noodle dishes and lots of things in
sugary sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> (PST) the following:
>
>> On Feb 16, 1:07 am, Damaeus > wrote:
>>
>> *snip buffet wet dreams
>>
>> > In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. I love being able to
>> > get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of
>> > stuffings
>> > so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. I can make a meal out
>> > of
>> > one big potato.

>> Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

I like potatoes too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Feb 16, 2:13 am, Damaeus > wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> (PST) the following:
>
> > On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus >
> > wrote:

> > *snip buffet wet dreams

> > > In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. +AKA-I love being
> > > able to
> > > get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of
> > > stuffings
> > > so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. +AKA-I can make a meal
> > > out of
> > > one big potato.

> > Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

I think she's pointing out that potatoes are a very low food cost
item, and questioning the wisdom of one who pays buffet prices for
something one could make much, much more cheaply at home.

But if you think about it... Most of what you get at a buffet could be made
more cheaply at home. The problem is all the cooking you would have to do
to get all that variety. And all the leftovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Julie Bove" > posted on
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 01:29:57 -0800 the following:

> I think she's pointing out that potatoes are a very low food cost item,
> and questioning the wisdom of one who pays buffet prices for something
> one could make much, much more cheaply at home.
>
> But if you think about it... Most of what you get at a buffet could be
> made more cheaply at home. The problem is all the cooking you would
> have to do to get all that variety. And all the leftovers.

And I'm almost convinced that restaurants have access to higher-grade
potatoes than we can buy in the grocery store. While I've had bad
potatoes (old) at restaurants, when a baked potato from a steakhouse is
hot and fresh, it has a light fluffiness I have never been able to achieve
baking potatoes at home. I'm definitely not saying my attempts at home
were perfect, but for now, there are some things some restaurants are
better at than I am, like baking potatoes. I'm not saying mine are
horrible. They're certainly good, but they sometimes turn out as if they
had a lot of extra starch trapped in them that congealed and made the
innards dense and hard to fluff.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 3:29*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote in message

> On Feb 16, 2:13 am, Damaeus > wrote:
>

> > In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> > (PST) the following:

> > > On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus >
> > > wrote:

> > > *snip buffet wet dreams

> > > Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> > I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

> I think she's pointing out that potatoes are a very low food cost
> item, and questioning the wisdom of one who pays buffet prices for
> something one could make much, much more cheaply at home.
>
> But if you think about it... *Most of what you get at a buffet could be made
> more cheaply at home. *The problem is all the cooking you would have to do
> to get all that variety. *And all the leftovers.

But the food cost of a potato, vs that of the baked pollock that is
ubiquitous at AYCE buffets is not insignificant.
Same for fried chicken, some salad bar offerings (such as tomatoes),
sausage and bacon (during breakfast hours), and several other things.
I have eaten huge amounts at AYCE buffets, and for a certain period of
life I ate one meal a day, the rest of the day being devoted to
drinking coffee, beer and soda. I did that several weekdays, every
week. They should have had a refuse service poster of me behind the
register.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>> > In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
>> > 23:15:54 -0800
>> > (PST) the following:

>> > I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

>> I like potatoes too!

> I love potatoes but rarely eat them. Sweet potatoes are healthier and
> just as satisfying imo.

I don't like sweet potatoes at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 2:13*am, Damaeus > wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> (PST) the following:
>
> > On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus > wrote:

> > *snip buffet wet dreams

> > > In my book, you can't go wrong with a potato bar. +AKA-I love being able to
> > > get a big, hot baked potato and pile it up from a wide choice of stuffings
> > > so I can get what I like in the amounts I like. +AKA-I can make a meal out of
> > > one big potato.

> > Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> I like potatoes. *I don't think that makes me an idiot.

Yes, it does in this case. Buffets love people to come in and fill up
on a *potato*. You dumb ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 3:29*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote in message

> On Feb 16, 2:13 am, Damaeus > wrote:
>

> > In news:rec.food.cooking, projectile vomit chick
> > > posted on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:15:54 -0800
> > (PST) the following:

> > > On Feb 16, 1:07+AKA-am, Damaeus >
> > > wrote:

> > > *snip buffet wet dreams

> > > Yeah buffets love potato people. Fill up on potatoes, idiot!

> > I like potatoes. I don't think that makes me an idiot.

> I think she's pointing out that potatoes are a very low food cost
> item, and questioning the wisdom of one who pays buffet prices for
> something one could make much, much more cheaply at home.
>
> But if you think about it... *Most of what you get at a buffet could be made
> more cheaply at home. *The problem is all the cooking you would have to do
> to get all that variety. *And all the leftovers.

Yes everything you get in a restaurant could be made at home for less
money, and less labor. Why else do you think people go out to eat?
Good grief.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2011 12:57 AM, Omelet wrote:

> Ugh. The ones I go to at the very least have their to die for asian
> fried chicken (which I still have yet to make properly!), pepper steak,
> sesame green beans and peel and eat shrimp over in the salad bar. Yummy!
> Yes there are still pans of rice and noodle dishes, but I ignore those.
> :-)

Sounds like you eat low-carb. How do you make Asian fried chicken? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

>> Those Chinese/Asian buffets are the worst in my book. At least the ones
>> I have seen. So much of that stuff just does not keep on the steam
>> table. And it's carb city!

> Not the ones I go to... ;-d

You don't believe that copious quantities of cornstarch are used in "your"
Chinese buffet? Dream on.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Sycophant wrote:
>
>>> Those Chinese/Asian buffets are the worst in my book. At least the ones
>>> I have seen. So much of that stuff just does not keep on the steam
>>> table. And it's carb city!

>> Not the ones I go to... ;-d

> You don't believe that copious quantities of cornstarch are used in "your"
> Chinese buffet? Dream on.

When we lived in NY, all the Chinese places delivered. As such I used to
try to order it. For the longest time I could not find anything that didn't
spike my blood sugar. Even the green beans! I finally discovered that I
could eat the chicken wontons. I don't know why except perhaps that they
were fried. Those were the only things that worked for me.

I do sometimes make Asian food at home. I have to substitute some of the
ingredients to make it less carby and it doesn't quite taste the same. But
it works for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> When we lived in NY, all the Chinese places delivered.

Yes, many of them charged a dollar more for delivery above 110th Street.

The concept of risking your life for an extra buck seems very New York.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>> When we lived in NY, all the Chinese places delivered.

> Yes, many of them charged a dollar more for delivery above 110th Street.
>
> The concept of risking your life for an extra buck seems very New York.

Actually it does. They seem to do things very differently there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>You don't believe that copious quantities of cornstarch are used in "your"
>Chinese buffet? Dream on.

Not in all dishes. Roasted meats or dry stirfries tend not to have cornstarch.
I could easily low-carb at my favorite Chinese buffet by sticking to stirfried
green beans and mushrooms, various dry chicken dishes, boiled shrimp, "lion's
head" meatballs or roast duck when available.

Orlando

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Bryan > posted on Wed,
16 Feb 2011 04:21:45 -0800 (PST) the following:

> But the food cost of a potato, vs that of the baked pollock that is
> ubiquitous at AYCE buffets is not insignificant.
> Same for fried chicken, some salad bar offerings (such as tomatoes),
> sausage and bacon (during breakfast hours), and several other things.

Just go into the buffet, ask for the manger, and ask the manager which
foods cost them the most. Then just make sure you keep refilling your
plate with their most expensive foods.

I'm not serious, of course. I always just eat what I like. I don't do my
best to keep the restaurant from making a profit by eating what I think
will cost them the most. But if I go to a catfish restaurant, I do want
to eat mostly catfish. I just like it, and I'm usually never that
impressed with the fries at most of the catfish places I've tried.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2011 5:46 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/2011 12:57 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>>
>>> Ugh. The ones I go to at the very least have their to die for asian
>>> fried chicken (which I still have yet to make properly!), pepper steak,
>>> sesame green beans and peel and eat shrimp over in the salad bar. Yummy!
>>> Yes there are still pans of rice and noodle dishes, but I ignore those.
>>> :-)

>> Sounds like you eat low-carb.

> The majority of the time, yes, but not 100% of the time if I eat out
> which is not frequently.
>
>> How do you make Asian fried chicken? :-)

> Still working on a recipe! It's crispy without being breaded and is
> garlicky/gingery flavored. Looks like the consensus is to deep fry it
> in flavored corn starch or rice flour without making a batter.
> Lightly salted and slightly warm. Probably use white pepper.

Sounds like you're talking about Mochiko Chicken. It's essentially
teriyaki chicken that has rice flour and eggs added to the marinade.
It's an easy to make dish and quite popular over here. The idea of an
all-in-one marinade/batter is a pretty good idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:22:44 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Sycophant wrote:
>
>>> Those Chinese/Asian buffets are the worst in my book. At least the ones
>>> I have seen. So much of that stuff just does not keep on the steam
>>> table. And it's carb city!

>> Not the ones I go to... ;-d

>You don't believe that copious quantities of cornstarch are used in "your"
>Chinese buffet? Dream on.

The corn starch is miniscule compared to the noodles and rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

>>> You don't believe that copious quantities of cornstarch are used in
>>> "your" Chinese buffet? Dream on.

>> The corn starch is miniscule compared to the noodles and rice.

> This just proves, once again, that you are so much more intelligent than
> BT! Thanks. :-)

By sucking up to Pussy with no thought whatsoever on your part, you
demonstrate why you have the "Sycophant" nickname I've given you, bitch. OF
COURSE the cornstarch thickeners are small BY COMPARISON WITH THE NOODLES
AND RICE. But it's not an insignificant amount for someone who claims to be
following a low-carb diet as you do. Remember that you claim that breading
with flour is too high-carb for you; well, the cornstarch is just about
equivalent to that breading. I pointed it out because you claim to be
low-carbing. But of course if you want to ingest a couple pounds of
cornstarch because you're too ****ing ignorant to live, I guess that's just
the way the ball bounces.

This just proves, once again, that both you and Pussy are malignant
anthroponomas[1] and should be sterilized (or better yet, euthanized) for
the good of the human race. Thanks. :-)

Bob
anthroponoma: from the Greek "anthrop" meaning "man" and "noma" meaning
"cancer"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

>>> Sounds like you're talking about Mochiko Chicken. It's essentially
>>> teriyaki chicken that has rice flour and eggs added to the marinade.
>>> It's an easy to make dish and quite popular over here. The idea of an
>>> all-in-one marinade/batter is a pretty good idea.

>> Thank you so much! I've stored it for a search. Still to ill for the
>> moment to be interested in any food at all...

> Amazing the difference 4 hours can make. ;-)
> Thanks again for the search name.

Not all that long ago, Koko posted here about making fried Thai-marinated
chicken following the recipe from the Chez Pim blog. Do you have Koko
killfiled, or has long-standing drug abuse erased your memory of anything
which happened more than thirty seconds ago?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2011 5:26 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/17/2011 5:46 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> The majority of the time, yes, but not 100% of the time if I eat out
>>> which is not frequently.

>>> Still working on a recipe! It's crispy without being breaded and is
>>> garlicky/gingery flavored. Looks like the consensus is to deep fry it
>>> in flavored corn starch or rice flour without making a batter.
>>> Lightly salted and slightly warm. Probably use white pepper.

>> Sounds like you're talking about Mochiko Chicken. It's essentially
>> teriyaki chicken that has rice flour and eggs added to the marinade.
>> It's an easy to make dish and quite popular over here. The idea of an
>> all-in-one marinade/batter is a pretty good idea.

> Thank you so much! I've stored it for a search. Still to ill for the
> moment to be interested in any food at all...

The dish as served here is made using boneless chicken thighs cut up
into pieces and is served in most fast food places. I've made this using
corn starch instead of rice flour - it turns out fine. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:30:03 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:22:44 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:

>> >You don't believe that copious quantities of cornstarch are used in "your"
>> >Chinese buffet? Dream on.

>> The corn starch is miniscule compared to the noodles and rice.

>This just proves, once again, that you are so much more intelligent than
>BT! Thanks. :-)

Thanks but I truly don't consider that much of a compliment, the
average circus seal is more intelligent than that HS dropout blowhard
who thinks the tsp of starch used as thickener for the average
oriental dish is "copious"... but what would a keyboard kook know...
he's obviously never eaten Chinese food, let alone cooked any.... only
a certifiable imbecile wouldn't consider the majority of starch by FAR
in oriental cookery is in the rice and noodles... even a circus seal
would know that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

> average circus seal is more intelligent than that HS dropout blowhard
> who thinks the tsp of starch used as thickener for the average
> oriental dish is "copious"...

The average circus seal knows that the average "oriental" dish in a cheap
Chinese buffet is thickened with a helluva lot more corn starch the one
teaspoon.

You've never cooked Chinese food, and you've apparently never even been
allowed into a Chinese restaurant (probably because of your filthy hands and
personal stench).

You're stupid. Just face it; you'll be happier in the long run.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2011 10:28 AM, Omelet wrote:

>>> Thank you so much! I've stored it for a search. Still to ill for the
>>> moment to be interested in any food at all...

>> The dish as served here is made using boneless chicken thighs cut up
>> into pieces and is served in most fast food places. I've made this using
>> corn starch instead of rice flour - it turns out fine. Good luck!

> Around here, it's done using wings.<g>
> I think the boneless skinless thighs would be better.

Chicken wings probably means that it's not mochiko chicken but may be
Korean Spicy Chicken Wings. I used to eat a lot of that years ago. My
favorite spot for this dish was Chicken Alice's in Honolulu. Here's an
article and a recipe. This obviously, is a dish that's been toned down
because the ones I'd eat had a hefty dose of chili pepper flakes and
probably enough Korean ground red pepper or paprika to impart a reddish
tint. My guess is that people on the mainland would go nuts for these
wings.

http://coreykawai.com/2009/09/21/the...lice-incident/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:29:43 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:30:03 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> >This just proves, once again, that you are so much more intelligent than
>> >BT! Thanks. :-)

>> Thanks but I truly don't consider that much of a compliment, the
>> average circus seal is more intelligent than that HS dropout blowhard
>> who thinks the tsp of starch used as thickener for the average
>> oriental dish is "copious"... but what would a keyboard kook know...
>> he's obviously never eaten Chinese food, let alone cooked any.... only
>> a certifiable imbecile wouldn't consider the majority of starch by FAR
>> in oriental cookery is in the rice and noodles... even a circus seal
>> would know that.

><lol>! Indeed... Hope I did not hurt your feelings. ;-) It was not
>intentional...

Nah... and besides you know the thickness of my skin. I'm just so
amazed at how in his rush to appear intelligent he always sabatages
himself by tripping over his own lying tongue... thickening slurry
carbs indeed... maybe that knucklehead guzzles La Choy chow mein by
the #10 can. LOL-LOL

I'm not into low carbing, is that a lot of carbs for the entire
serving:
http://www.lachoy.com/products/family-meals.jsp

I thicken oriental dishes all the time, Unless you're drinking the
sauce by the liter even double portions require very little thickened
sauce. A whole pint of eggdrop takes 1 rounded tsp of cornstarch, not
even close to the carbs in wonton soup. Most Chinese dishes contain
substantial rice, noodles, and batter fried... in comparison the wee
bit of thickening is inconsequentiol on the carbs scale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:26:19 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> arranged random neurons and said:

>The average circus seal knows that the average "oriental" dish in a cheap
>Chinese buffet is thickened with a helluva lot more corn starch the one
>teaspoon.

Frankly, the idea of a "Chinese buffet" makes me queasy. I love a top
flight Chinese dinner made with fresh ingredients, freshly made, but
the thought of steamer trays of Chinese food does not appeal.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 20:36:17 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:26:19 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >The average circus seal knows that the average "oriental" dish in a cheap
> >Chinese buffet is thickened with a helluva lot more corn starch the one
> >teaspoon.

> Frankly, the idea of a "Chinese buffet" makes me queasy. I love a top
> flight Chinese dinner made with fresh ingredients, freshly made, but
> the thought of steamer trays of Chinese food does not appeal.

I'm with you Terry. Bring them out banquet style, but don't hold them
in steam trays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 7:26*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:
>
> > average circus seal is more intelligent than that HS dropout blowhard
> > who thinks the tsp of starch used as thickener for the average
> > oriental dish is "copious"...

> The average circus seal knows that the average "oriental" dish in a cheap
> Chinese buffet is thickened with a helluva lot more corn starch the one
> teaspoon.

Chinese-American buffets use huge amounts of corn starch and MSG,
but I seriously doubt that circus seals know that.

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/18/2011 10:28 AM, Omelet wrote:

>>> The dish as served here is made using boneless chicken thighs cut up
>>> into pieces and is served in most fast food places. I've made this using
>>> corn starch instead of rice flour - it turns out fine. Good luck!

>> Around here, it's done using wings.<g>
>> I think the boneless skinless thighs would be better.

> Chicken wings probably means that it's not mochiko chicken but may be
> Korean Spicy Chicken Wings. I used to eat a lot of that years ago. My
> favorite spot for this dish was Chicken Alice's in Honolulu. Here's an
> article and a recipe. This obviously, is a dish that's been toned down
> because the ones I'd eat had a hefty dose of chili pepper flakes and
> probably enough Korean ground red pepper or paprika to impart a reddish
> tint. My guess is that people on the mainland would go nuts for these
> wings.
>
> http://coreykawai.com/2009/09/21/the...lice-incident/

I don't think it is mochiko chicken or the Korean wings. Most
likely, it is related to the wings I get here that have a faint
hint of 5-spice powder or star anise. They are deep-fat fried. I
don't know whether any starch is involved, although I suspect
there may be a tiny bit of sugar involved.

Speaking of sugar, most of the Chinese sauces contain some--plus
the aforementioned cornstarch.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:01:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> mochiko

I have to say that JL has sung the praises of rice flour, but I wasn't
thinking of Mochiko because everything I have with it is sweet. I
busted open a box of it to use to dredge cube steaks and make gravy...
OMG! It's the perfect substitute for people who are gluten
intolerant. I have a coconut cake recipe that uses rice flour I want
to make now. I think I'll use more coconuts and no extract, but
here's the recipe.

Coconut Cake gluten free
Baked Chinese New Year Cake
http://www.chow.com/recipes/28077-ba...-new-year-cake
Adapted from Louisa Yue

12 servings

TIME/SERVINGS
Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins | Active Time: 10 mins

Ingredients

2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut
4 large eggs
1 pound sweet rice flour (about 3 cups)
3 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for coating the
baking dish
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon fine salt

Instructions

Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a
13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.

Place the coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until
toasted and golden brown in color, about 5 minutes; set aside.

Place the eggs in a large bowl and lightly beat to break up the yolks.
Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with the toasted coconut, rotate the dish, and bake until the
edges are just starting to brown and the top is just set (a bubble may
form, but it will flatten as the cake cools), about 20 to 25 minutes
more.

Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Wrap
leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:01:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> mochiko

> I have to say that JL has sung the praises of rice flour, but I wasn't
> thinking of Mochiko because everything I have with it is sweet. I
> busted open a box of it to use to dredge cube steaks and make gravy...
> OMG! It's the perfect substitute for people who are gluten
> intolerant. I have a coconut cake recipe that uses rice flour I want
> to make now. I think I'll use more coconuts and no extract, but
> here's the recipe.

<snip>

For baking and such I use a four flour gluten free blend. But I use sweet
rice flour for dredging meats and for thickening gravies and sauces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2011 3:01 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 2/18/2011 10:28 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Around here, it's done using wings.<g>
>>> I think the boneless skinless thighs would be better.

>> Chicken wings probably means that it's not mochiko chicken but may be
>> Korean Spicy Chicken Wings. I used to eat a lot of that years ago. My
>> favorite spot for this dish was Chicken Alice's in Honolulu. Here's an
>> article and a recipe. This obviously, is a dish that's been toned down
>> because the ones I'd eat had a hefty dose of chili pepper flakes and
>> probably enough Korean ground red pepper or paprika to impart a
>> reddish tint. My guess is that people on the mainland would go nuts
>> for these wings.
>>
>> http://coreykawai.com/2009/09/21/the...lice-incident/

> I don't think it is mochiko chicken or the Korean wings. Most likely, it
> is related to the wings I get here that have a faint hint of 5-spice
> powder or star anise. They are deep-fat fried. I don't know whether any
> starch is involved, although I suspect there may be a tiny bit of sugar
> involved.
>
> Speaking of sugar, most of the Chinese sauces contain some--plus the
> aforementioned cornstarch.

I have had the Chinese crispy fried chicken. It's half a chicken that's
been fried at high temperature and then it's chopped into serving
pieces. It's OK but they seem to overcook it a lot. It's really crispy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:01:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> mochiko

> I have to say that JL has sung the praises of rice flour, but I wasn't
> thinking of Mochiko because everything I have with it is sweet. I
> busted open a box of it to use to dredge cube steaks and make gravy...
> OMG! It's the perfect substitute for people who are gluten
> intolerant. I have a coconut cake recipe that uses rice flour I want
> to make now. I think I'll use more coconuts and no extract, but
> here's the recipe.
>
> Coconut Cake gluten free
> Baked Chinese New Year Cake
> http://www.chow.com/recipes/28077-ba...-new-year-cake
> Adapted from Louisa Yue
>
> 12 servings
>
> TIME/SERVINGS
> Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins | Active Time: 10 mins
>
> Ingredients
>
> 2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut
> 4 large eggs
> 1 pound sweet rice flour (about 3 cups)
> 3 cups whole milk
> 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for coating the
> baking dish
> 1 teaspoon coconut extract
> 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
>

> Instructions
>
> Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a
> 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.
>
> Place the coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until
> toasted and golden brown in color, about 5 minutes; set aside.
>
> Place the eggs in a large bowl and lightly beat to break up the yolks.
> Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
> Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes.
> Sprinkle with the toasted coconut, rotate the dish, and bake until the
> edges are just starting to brown and the top is just set (a bubble may
> form, but it will flatten as the cake cools), about 20 to 25 minutes
> more.
>
> Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Wrap
> leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

That looks interesting--as long as one can find natural extract.
I have an Asian red bean cake recipe that I keep eying, but it
contains 1 can of red beans (the sweet kind, as in from Japan),
but I have no idea what size can this is.

As for mochiko... I had suspected that the coating on some
chicken (or was it shrimp) at a Korean restaurant involved
mochiko. My daughter and I loved it, but some years ago it
unfortunately got changed to wheat flour. I recently did see a
recipe that confirmed my suspicion. Now, if I would just decided
to deep fat fry...

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/19/2011 3:01 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Chicken wings probably means that it's not mochiko chicken but may be
>>> Korean Spicy Chicken Wings. I used to eat a lot of that years ago. My
>>> favorite spot for this dish was Chicken Alice's in Honolulu. Here's an
>>> article and a recipe. This obviously, is a dish that's been toned down
>>> because the ones I'd eat had a hefty dose of chili pepper flakes and
>>> probably enough Korean ground red pepper or paprika to impart a
>>> reddish tint. My guess is that people on the mainland would go nuts
>>> for these wings.
>>>
>>> http://coreykawai.com/2009/09/21/the...lice-incident/

>> I don't think it is mochiko chicken or the Korean wings. Most likely, it
>> is related to the wings I get here that have a faint hint of 5-spice
>> powder or star anise. They are deep-fat fried. I don't know whether any
>> starch is involved, although I suspect there may be a tiny bit of sugar
>> involved.
>>
>> Speaking of sugar, most of the Chinese sauces contain some--plus the
>> aforementioned cornstarch.
>>

> I have had the Chinese crispy fried chicken. It's half a chicken that's
> been fried at high temperature and then it's chopped into serving
> pieces. It's OK but they seem to overcook it a lot. It's really crispy.

Here it is just wings. The degree of doneness varies. It does
have to be crisp, of course, but sometimes it is, as you say,
quite overcooked.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2011 10:07 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:01:23 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> mochiko

>> I have to say that JL has sung the praises of rice flour, but I wasn't
>> thinking of Mochiko because everything I have with it is sweet. I
>> busted open a box of it to use to dredge cube steaks and make gravy...
>> OMG! It's the perfect substitute for people who are gluten
>> intolerant. I have a coconut cake recipe that uses rice flour I want
>> to make now. I think I'll use more coconuts and no extract, but
>> here's the recipe.
>>
>> Coconut Cake gluten free
>> Baked Chinese New Year Cake
>> http://www.chow.com/recipes/28077-ba...-new-year-cake
>> Adapted from Louisa Yue
>> 12 servings
>>
>> TIME/SERVINGS
>> Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins | Active Time: 10 mins
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> 2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut
>> 4 large eggs
>> 1 pound sweet rice flour (about 3 cups)
>> 3 cups whole milk
>> 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
>> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for coating the
>> baking dish
>> 1 teaspoon coconut extract
>> 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
>>
>> Instructions
>>
>> Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a
>> 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.
>>
>> Place the coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until
>> toasted and golden brown in color, about 5 minutes; set aside.
>> Place the eggs in a large bowl and lightly beat to break up the yolks.
>> Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
>> Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes.
>> Sprinkle with the toasted coconut, rotate the dish, and bake until the
>> edges are just starting to brown and the top is just set (a bubble may
>> form, but it will flatten as the cake cools), about 20 to 25 minutes
>> more.
>> Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Wrap
>> leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
>>

> That looks interesting--as long as one can find natural extract. I have
> an Asian red bean cake recipe that I keep eying, but it contains 1 can
> of red beans (the sweet kind, as in from Japan), but I have no idea what
> size can this is.

Not sure why folks need to omit the size of the can when writing
recipes. It is likely 475 grams (a little over a pound) if it is the
typical adzuki bean paste.

I make taiyaki and also Korean red bean filled pancakes. Sometimes I
make the filling myself and sometimes just open a can. It is super easy
to make: (I prefer the "chunky" version)

http://www.applepiepatispate.com/jap...ed-bean-paste/

A Buffet idea Sky General Cooking 5 17-02-2011 05:35 PM
A Buffet idea notbob[_5_] General Cooking 38 17-02-2011 05:09 PM
A Buffet idea Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 6 17-02-2011 04:31 AM
A Buffet idea Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 17-02-2011 03:35 AM
A Buffet idea Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 16-02-2011 04:50 AM