Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Warm Ham, Onion, Goat Cheese Salad

I made this up for myself last week and it was delicious - will be
making it again tonight.

Salad greens in a dinner-salad-sized bowl.

Cut up an onion, cook on low-to-medium heat in olive oil and garlic to
caramelize. I prefer fairly big pieces of onion, larger than a typical
dice. I use frozen cubes of crushed garlic, two cubes per onion, and a
generous amount of olive oil as it will become part of the salad
dressing later on.

When onion is mostly done (about 15 minutes), add small pieces of cooked
ham, cook another five minutes. Add black pepper to taste here if you
wish, or salt, although I cannot see the need for salt. I used deli
"honey maple" ham we buy at Whole Foods and use in the kids' lunches,
but any sort of leftover cooked ham would do.

Warm some goat cheese (toaster oven or microwave).

Add the ham and onion mixture on top of your salad greens, add the goat
cheese on top of that, dress as you like - I use red wine vinegar and
olive oil, plus fresh black pepper.

You could eat it as is or do what I do, which is stir it up a bit first
to get the goat cheese and onion mixture to coat the greens. Either
way, it's absolutely delicious.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> I made this up for myself last week and it was delicious - will be making
> it again tonight.
>
> Salad greens in a dinner-salad-sized bowl.
>
> Cut up an onion, cook on low-to-medium heat in olive oil and garlic to
> caramelize. I prefer fairly big pieces of onion, larger than a typical
> dice. I use frozen cubes of crushed garlic, two cubes per onion, and a
> generous amount of olive oil as it will become part of the salad dressing
> later on.
>
> When onion is mostly done (about 15 minutes), add small pieces of cooked
> ham, cook another five minutes. Add black pepper to taste here if you
> wish, or salt, although I cannot see the need for salt. I used deli
> "honey maple" ham we buy at Whole Foods and use in the kids' lunches, but
> any sort of leftover cooked ham would do.
>
> Warm some goat cheese (toaster oven or microwave).
>
> Add the ham and onion mixture on top of your salad greens, add the goat
> cheese on top of that, dress as you like - I use red wine vinegar and
> olive oil, plus fresh black pepper.
>
> You could eat it as is or do what I do, which is stir it up a bit first to
> get the goat cheese and onion mixture to coat the greens. Either way,
> it's absolutely delicious.

Sounds very good! I might add a roasted red bell pepper or something crisp
like fresh croutons, but I like the idea.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> I made this up for myself last week and it was delicious - will be
>> making it again tonight.
>>
>> Salad greens in a dinner-salad-sized bowl.
>>
>> Cut up an onion, cook on low-to-medium heat in olive oil and garlic
>> to caramelize. I prefer fairly big pieces of onion, larger than a
>> typical dice. I use frozen cubes of crushed garlic, two cubes per
>> onion, and a generous amount of olive oil as it will become part of
>> the salad dressing later on.
>>
>> When onion is mostly done (about 15 minutes), add small pieces of
>> cooked ham, cook another five minutes. Add black pepper to taste
>> here if you wish, or salt, although I cannot see the need for salt. I
>> used deli "honey maple" ham we buy at Whole Foods and use in the
>> kids' lunches, but any sort of leftover cooked ham would do.
>>
>> Warm some goat cheese (toaster oven or microwave).
>>
>> Add the ham and onion mixture on top of your salad greens, add the
>> goat cheese on top of that, dress as you like - I use red wine
>> vinegar and olive oil, plus fresh black pepper.
>>
>> You could eat it as is or do what I do, which is stir it up a bit
>> first to get the goat cheese and onion mixture to coat the greens.
>> Either way, it's absolutely delicious.

> Sounds very good! I might add a roasted red bell pepper or something
> crisp like fresh croutons, but I like the idea.
>
> Bob

Both sound like good additions - sun-dried tomatoes would also probably
be good. I did indeed have it last night again - it's a keeper here.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> I made this up for myself last week and it was delicious - will be
> making it again tonight.
>
> Salad greens in a dinner-salad-sized bowl.
>
> Cut up an onion, cook on low-to-medium heat in olive oil and garlic to
> caramelize. I prefer fairly big pieces of onion, larger than a typical
> dice. I use frozen cubes of crushed garlic, two cubes per onion, and a
> generous amount of olive oil as it will become part of the salad
> dressing later on.
>
> When onion is mostly done (about 15 minutes), add small pieces of cooked
> ham, cook another five minutes. Add black pepper to taste here if you
> wish, or salt, although I cannot see the need for salt. I used deli
> "honey maple" ham we buy at Whole Foods and use in the kids' lunches,
> but any sort of leftover cooked ham would do.
>
> Warm some goat cheese (toaster oven or microwave).
>
> Add the ham and onion mixture on top of your salad greens, add the goat
> cheese on top of that, dress as you like - I use red wine vinegar and
> olive oil, plus fresh black pepper.
>
> You could eat it as is or do what I do, which is stir it up a bit first
> to get the goat cheese and onion mixture to coat the greens. Either
> way, it's absolutely delicious.
>
> -S-

Very late reply: Mmmmmm. That sounds good.

--
Jean B.